Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES variant SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 issue 2 games are glitchy on it but play fine on other variants

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:24:12 AM
j1eazy (63)
(Michael NESmith) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I posted this over on the DP forum as well.  Trying to find any answers.  DP link: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?144910-More-T...

What's up with this? I have 4 model 1 SNES systems right now: SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-GPM-CPU-01, SNS-GPM-CPU-02, and the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. Now, this is concerning a couple of games and maybe even more. Pocky & Rocky and Super Ghouls and Ghosts are glitchy as hell on my SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. Pocky & Rocky will flicker right when you turn it on and even sometimes freeze up when I get about 5 minutes or so into it. On SGaG, Arthur is very glitchy when he moves and the game all around is just a mess to play with the glitchy-ass graphics.

When I play these 2 games on any of the other variants I own, there are no problems whatsoever. Both games are play smoothly and no freezing up. Is anyone else having these problems on their SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 when they play these 2 games? If you don't know and don't mind, check them out on your SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 (if you're sure you have this variant) and see if they are just as glitchy. Reading through different threads here and on other gaming forums, the SNES variant one would prefer to own (other than the SNES 2/Jr) is the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. I have thoroughly cleaned the games' contacts and all of my systems' pin connectors. And it also should be noted than I'm using the cartridges and not a Powerpak/Everdrive.

I'd like to rectify this problem because I love my SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. It's minty as hell and has barely been used. I guess if it came down to it, I could switch out the MOBO for a GPM-CPU-01 or GPM-CPU-02. But like I said, I'd rather not and fix this one if it's fixable.

edit: All other games, as far as I've seen, play just fine on my SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. I have around 150 games and have played a little to quite a bit of each one, but these 2 happen to be a couple of my favorites.

Any help would be appreciative.

-------------------------
What is art?  Are we art?  Is art art? - L. Turtle

Edited: 09/04/2012 at 01:25 AM by j1eazy

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:35:58 AM
j1eazy (63)
United States
Here's some more information on the different variations of the model 1 SNES: http://www.assemblergames.com/for...

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:45:38 AM
Lincoln (133)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
do you know how to identify the 1CHIP units without opening them? I've heard something of the serial number identifying them, but I don't know the method.

edit: i see loading Lion King and tapping out B A R R Y at the options screen should bring up a debug menu with chip versions. I'll have to check that out.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM updates and download thread for .nes info and splitting

Edited: 09/04/2012 at 01:50 AM by Lincoln

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:50:42 AM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
If somebody confirms that there's a problem with the model 1 it's probably related to the DMA glitch fixed in the non-01 PPU's. I don't know the specifics about it, but I know it can break games and cause said glitches.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:43:27 AM
Lincoln (133)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Dou you have a copy of lion king to get values to compare against?

For the snes i have hooked up i get these numbers

CPU : 2
PPU1 : 1
Ppu2 : 3

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM updates and download thread for .nes info and splitting

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:18:39 AM
j1eazy (63)
United States
I believe there are 6 model 1 variants:

SHVC-CPU-01
SNS-GPM-CPU-01
SNS-GPM-CPU-02
SNS-RGB-CPU-01
SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01
SNS-RBG-CPU-02

The only way I know to truly find out the particular variant is by opening it and looking at the motherboard. The link I posted from DP gives some differences of each variation whether it be the sticker under the power button, different eject buttons, and so on. Those'll help give some signs as to which revision you might have.

Edited: 09/04/2012 at 06:19 AM by j1eazy

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:03:48 AM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
When I reached the part in that thread where someone claims the SNES model 2 is superior because it eliminates the vertical line, I was forced to immediately doubt everything he said. I own a model 2 and the vertical line is very distinct and in fact more visible than on my original model.

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:16:41 AM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Lincoln

Dou you have a copy of lion king to get values to compare against?

For the snes i have hooked up i get these numbers

CPU : 2
PPU1 : 1
Ppu2 : 3

This seems to be what almost everyone gets with the USA hardware.

I'm not sure how this translates to discovering the board revision. I'd like to know what numbers appear on a 1CHIP.

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:02:16 PM
j1eazy (63)
United States
Zing: 2/1/3

FF: Mystic Quest will show you also.  These numbers tell you nothing about board revisions. All my variants show up 2/1/3.

Edited: 09/05/2012 at 01:03 PM by j1eazy

May 13, 2013 at 9:36:09 PM
Tanooki (185)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I'm resurrecting this because the discussion isn't suited really for my 'finds' thread on one of these in a DK Super Set.

For me both Pocky and Rocky and Super Ghouls n Ghosts work. I have no idea why, but I also found something unique about it yet for my system. While it plays right, looks right, doesn't stop working, it is a minor minor bit of a trip. At the far edges left and right of the screen it almost is like it moves at a different speed just slightly, or maybe it's a wee bit stretched so it appears to move quicker but doesn't, it's just a very small bit like 5% of the screen on the far sides. If I had a video capture card I'd try and capture it but I don't. It doesn't hinder or harm either game and they otherwise so far (played stage 1 and a bit of 2 on both) worked fine.

Out of curiosity I did try other Capcom games at random. Final Fight 1-3, Aladdin, Demon's Crest, and all them had no issues. I've got more I could go through like King of Dragons and Mickey that scroll too but hadn't got to them yet.

Any technically swift types on the hardware have any clues?