Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES Cartridge Booting Problems Does SNES Cartridge booting problems relate to a dying saved battery?

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:16:41 PM
omarchafa (10)
(Julio Castrejon) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
So I bought a copy of Super Metroid on ebay and it's in excellent condition, very clean. Once I got the game, it wouldn't boot on first try, and it took me at least three tries before getting the game to start. Sometimes it boots on first try. One day when I was already far into the game, (first time playing this game) the game wouldn't boot up and on my second try it did, but my save was gone! So my experience with this game is ruined, and I got pissed off.

So I was wondering if a dying saved battery relates to having problems booting the game or having problems booting the game can cause all the saved data to get deleted? Could it be something worse than that? Oh yeah, the game never froze on me during gameplay.

I don't think I can return the game since I already passed the return date, and I haven't heard a response from the seller. I'm thinking of just getting another copy if the game is actually getting busted.

-------------------------
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:33:00 PM
Dibin (77)
(Dylan N) < El Ripper >
Alberta
I don't think the battery has anything to do with booting the game. Although it would explain why your save file is gone. Either that, you didn't turn it off properly (although I know you don't have to for the most part).

Here are some random chat quotes, you're missing out not being there!

remedy: we counted the rings on his penis..  thats how you tell a canadians age.

krunch: I'm a pig for reality tv dudes

megamanfan: mmf needs love

rhetoric: the internet is the only place adam touches clits

spacejockey: fat chicks are single, and they are gonna stay that way

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:37:28 PM
Gunsmoke (15)
(Cod Satchel) < Crack Trooper >
Georgia
Have you taken the game apart and polished the connectors?

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:44:29 PM
omarchafa (10)
California
Well I haven't cleaned the connectors and if I would what's usually the best thing to clean it with? I heard windex does it better than rubbing alcohol. I don't know if I may had power off/on my snes improperly.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:59:42 PM
Gunsmoke (15)
(Cod Satchel) < Crack Trooper >
Georgia
I always take them apart and lightly rub the connectors with an eraser. It works wonders! If you don't have the tool to take them apart then I always use a qtip with alcohol but it never gets the heavy crud off.

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:06:49 PM
CoolGamer (0)
(Joe Renda) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
I have gotten a few SNES games that have taken me a lot of work to get them to boot. (Same as this case). I clean their contacts and they boot right up. I take them out, next day, they don't boot. I clean them again and they boot. (All of this while other carts work perfectly). So I am always inclined to believe that it's the way the cart is sitting on the SNES. Some connectors just not getting into contact as they are supposed to. At any rate, it's always great to take the game apart, give it a nice clean job with rubbing alcohol and put them back in. If the same thing continues then it's gotta be the way the cart is sitting on the system. I have had that happened to me a few times with some carts.

Maybe I am wrong but the carts do work, sometimes they are just a pain to boot. In regards to the save file - I don't know how that could have happened. If the battery wasn't used for a long long time this might happen. As you use it everyday if becomes stable. We are talking about old systems and old carts here so yeah. My advice would be to buy a new minty cart and dump the one in question.

Edited: 01/15/2012 at 10:11 PM by CoolGamer

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:24:47 PM
Kinfeezi (0)
(John Dillin') < Tourian Tourist >
United States
I've had that problem plenty with my SNES (it's a release version... you know, 'Ole Yella), and I found that pressing the cart into your system too far can cause the game to have a black screen at startup. Try pressing it in gently, and just a bit further out than you usually do.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:01:32 PM
ocdgamer (116)
(Kody K) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
Has anyone had any Nintendo cartridge game that doesn't have trouble booting? It is not unusual for any cartridge game to take a few tries to come on.

I have lots of SNES & NES reproductions for sale! >> Nintendoage Thread >> My new website!!

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:07:05 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Clean the cart with weimans, and also if you can take apart the system and wash the PCB in the sink with hot water and also scrub the connector (only a little) with weimans too, and make sure you dry off quick and to dry it 110%, or else you'll end up with some things corroding and that's not good. But as long as you clean/dry it good, you'll have a perfect system after that, keep your games clean and you won't have to do it again for a long time.

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:42:09 PM
omarchafa (10)
California
I don't think my snes has a problem, plus I have two of them. I also don't have the right tools to open up the system. I do have the security bit to open snes cartridges. I decided to use windex and opened my copy of metroid to do a nice clean up. Now the game boots up on first try and it still saves. I'm just worry that it might happen again so I don't fully trust this copy, but I'll give it another and I hope I can beat this game.

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:51:13 PM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other
You cleaned it, it's fixed, no worries. Stuff doesn't just magically happen. It's fine.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:33:21 PM
Kinfeezi (0)
(John Dillin') < Tourian Tourist >
United States
Good job, so long as it stays clean it'll be all right. That's a great game too, I've still gotta buy it again.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:52:52 PM
BouncekDeLemos (79)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Master Higgins >
Florida
To rule everything out, also check the inside cartridge connector on the SNES-- I had a Genny someone traded me at the shop that didn't work and the only thing that was wrong with it was that it had a singe dog hair in the connector. 0_o I removed the hair, and it played fine!

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:58:31 PM
omarchafa (10)
California
I finally got my second SNES back from my brother! I'm going to be using that one from now on, but I spotted a piece of cloth deep inside the connector pins and it needs to be removed.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:51:48 PM
cenofett (6)
(junior SNES) < Tourian Tourist >
California
So I recently acquired a SNES as well, and seem to be having the same issues only with select games.

Other games boot up fine with no blowing or additional tapping or nudging needed. All games and the console pins have been cleaned (credit card cloth), swabbed with alcohol q-tips, and dried. I know its not the cables due to the other games working properly in one try.

Whats funny is that one of the black screen games (Secret of Mana) gets garbled up graphics on the screen when booted up after a working game (SMW).
I think the last thing left to do would be to open up the carts themselves, but I wanted to run it by here to see if anybody had some other information.

The non working games are:
Illusion of Gaia (black screen upon boot.)
Secret of Mana (black screen, garbled graphics when booted after a working game)
Madden 95 (black, then goes to a white screen)

Thanks,
Junior.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:05:11 PM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other

Clean them better, clean the system, clean all the things! (Weimans>Alcohol )

Edited: 01/20/2012 at 06:50 PM by removed04092017

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:35:09 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
^Listen to 3Gen, for he has the right answer. Everyone complains their SNES systems are unstable and freeze at a moments notice... That's because the cartridges and cart slot are both dirty. My main SNES system never, ever freezes, no matter how much I smack the console around or rock the cartridge back and forth.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:53:10 PM
Pale Horse (45)
(Shaun ) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
CLEAN ALL THE THINGS

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:58:13 AM
cenofett (6)
California

So I've opened up the SNES, cleaned up all the dust I could find, removed the pin connector and gave that a good air dusting, also swabbed anything that looked remotely like it had any kind of dust or residue on it. Also opened up the problematic carts and cleaned them the best I could as well using the same methods.

Put her back together and still the same issue with the same exact games. Mind you that the other games still work fine with no issues upon first boot up.

Feeling like im running out of ideas here. I had a feeling it might have been a dead battery I'm dealing with here, but since the games do not boot up at all, it shouldn't be the battery.
Upon further inspection, there doesnt seem to be anything out of the ordinary on the pcb of the problematic games either.

Another strange thing is that the SNES can boot up the other games fine.

Any thoughts?

Edited: 01/22/2012 at 04:59 AM by cenofett

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:59:50 AM
SUBSCRIBER
alekx (104)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
did u use weimans?

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:49:30 AM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other

And did you scrub the connector with a toothbrush? That's the best (And probably only right way) to clean a connector. And yes, get some weimans at wal-mart or something, you'll thank your self later.

Edited: 01/22/2012 at 10:52 AM by removed04092017

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:37:22 PM
cenofett (6)
California
Originally posted by: alekx

did u use weimans?
Originally posted by: 3GenGames
And yes, get some weimans at wal-mart or something, you'll thank your self later.

Is this the same as Brasso?

And did you scrub the connector with a toothbrush? That's the best (And probably only right way) to clean a connector.

And when you say scrub the connector with a toothbrush, do you mean the pin connector on the SNES console or the connector pins on the cartridge PCB?

I just want to make sure before taking a toothbrush to anything.

Thanks,

Junior

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:00:40 PM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other
With weimans, scrub the connector with a cloth, like a wash rag. For the connector in the system, wash it in the sink. Put weimans on the brush, and then scrub. Make sure you dry the PCB completely or you'll badly damage it! Use an air compressor or something, or blow really hard.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:10:06 PM
cenofett (6)
California

With weimans, scrub the connector with a cloth, like a wash rag. For the connector in the system, wash it in the sink. Put weimans on the brush, and then scrub. Make sure you dry the PCB completely or you'll badly damage it! Use an air compressor or something, or blow really hard.

With the "" I'm wondering if taking the pins to the sink and toothbrush is just sarcaasm or not.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:50:43 PM
SUBSCRIBER
GhostNinja (28)
(Josh B.) < El Ripper >
United Kingdom
Nope, that's a genuine tactic. Should clean things up nicely. Just don't use water because it'll cause oxidation!

My WTB thread:http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...