Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

5.25" floppy USB drive? solutions?

Nov 08 at 6:41:10 PM
Gamemaster Howard (4)
(Howard Phillips) < Crack Trooper >
Utah
Hey All...

I found a box of 3.5" and 5.25" floppys. 

I'm curious as to the contents of the two Nintendo discs ; )

Unfortunately I don't have easy access to a 5.25" drive and I haven't been able to find a 5.25" floppy USB drive for sale online. I really don't want to build up a legacy windows 3.0 machine with the 5.25" drive I already have if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions for finding a 5.25" USB drive?

Alternatively, does anyone have experience working with a service such as http://retrofloppy.com/ ?

thx - h

Nov 08 at 6:56:59 PM
Ichinisan (26)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Very interesting. There's probably an external 34-pin to USB interface somewhere. Also, I wouldn't give up if the first drive doesn't read it. An expert can probably get something from it.

-------------------------
I can help you get UltraHDMI. My twin brother (CZroe) can help you install it.

MY BEST BUY GCU (20% OFF) EXPIRES 12/6
Send PM if you want to use it.

Nov 08 at 6:58:38 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I don't think anyone made a plug n play USB 5.25 drive. I'm sure someone somewhere has adapted one, though.

Nov 08 at 7:02:38 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
New York

Nov 08 at 7:52:33 PM
SUBSCRIBER
MuNKeY (132)
(Sexy Pataytas ) < Master Higgins >
Tennessee
Ah now my curiosity is piqued to the contents as well!

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

"POTATO"

Nov 08 at 9:41:06 PM
DefaultGen (23)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Kyroflux is the USB floppy controller I always remember hearing about in vintage PC circles. I don't have one myself but that's the one I'd buy if I wanted to preserve my own floppies. It reads disks at a super low level and is meant for preservation.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #104: Is the PS1 Classic lineup that bad?

Nov 09 at 3:00:27 AM
Lincoln (137)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
i asked a guy on twitter who's big into floppies. he recommended a couple things
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/...

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Nov 09 at 7:31:39 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Sign Collector Guy (5)
(Benjamin ) < Lolo Lord >
Iowa
WOW!!!

Nov 09 at 9:57:32 AM
SUBSCRIBER
darkchylde28 (8)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
So long as you've got a PC that still has a floppy controller onboard and appropriate floppy cables, you don't need to build an entirely separate system--just internally connect the floppy drive(s) and let modern Windows do the work of accessing the disks and backing up the data. If the disks are standard DOS/Windows format, they're written in the original FAT format, still readable by modern PCs. If they're from other types of computers (MSX, for example), the suggestion of the Kryoflux would be the better option to do backup, since that unit will read and record the data from the disks even if the host operating system doesn't understand it. Good luck with the backup!

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Nov 09 at 1:05:07 PM
gunpei (8)
< Kraid Killer >
Illinois
Most motherboards these days do not still have a floppy controller onboard though

Nov 09 at 1:11:27 PM
Gamemaster Howard (4)
Utah
Originally posted by: Mog

Frank from VGHF might be able to help

https://gamehistory.org/

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi

yep, thx - in comms now w/Frank...

Edited: 11/09/2018 at 01:12 PM by Gamemaster Howard

Nov 09 at 1:12:58 PM
Gamemaster Howard (4)
Utah
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

Kyroflux is the USB floppy controller I always remember hearing about in vintage PC circles. I don't have one myself but that's the one I'd buy if I wanted to preserve my own floppies. It reads disks at a super low level and is meant for preservation.
thx!

Nov 09 at 1:31:49 PM
Gamemaster Howard (4)
Utah
Originally posted by: Lincoln

i asked a guy on twitter who's big into floppies. he recommended a couple things
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1060801125924798465

thx - I'll give the FC5025 USB controller a try ; )

Nov 09 at 1:32:36 PM
Gamemaster Howard (4)
Utah
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

thx - I may end up getting one of these...

Nov 09 at 1:33:29 PM
Gamemaster Howard (4)
Utah
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

So long as you've got a PC that still has a floppy controller onboard and appropriate floppy cables, you don't need to build an entirely separate system--just internally connect the floppy drive(s) and let modern Windows do the work of accessing the disks and backing up the data. If the disks are standard DOS/Windows format, they're written in the original FAT format, still readable by modern PCs. If they're from other types of computers (MSX, for example), the suggestion of the Kryoflux would be the better option to do backup, since that unit will read and record the data from the disks even if the host operating system doesn't understand it. Good luck with the backup!

thx for the detailed info!

Nov 09 at 10:08:00 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
cant wait to see how this turns out !!

Nov 10 at 10:53:06 PM
SUBSCRIBER
JamesRobot (19)
(JamsGobot ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Thas cool. I really miss all my floppy games.

Nov 11 at 5:54:24 PM
Nes Freak (26)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
i think one of those ide to usb converters might work?

Yesterday at 12:20:44 PM
SUBSCRIBER
darkchylde28 (8)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Nes Freak

i think one of those ide to usb converters might work?

Neither 3.5" nor 5.25" drives are based on the IDE standard, though, they're something else, part of a floppy-specific standard that pre-dates most hard drive formats including the ones folks are likely most familiar with these days (IDE/PATA and SATA).  As such, those converters wouldn't work.  Various companies produced USB based 3.5" floppy drives, but I've never heard of nor seen anything equivalent for a 5.25" drive.  Depending on how the controller circuitry for one of the USB 3.5" drives is done, it might be possible for someone to Frankenstein one to connect to a 5.25" drive, but it would be a lot of work and require the USB drive circuitry to include the entire "standard" floppy controller and not just the bits required to run 3.5" drives (which may or may not have ever happened).  The best/easiest way to do it for all disks is going to be to find a modern/semi-modern system that still has a floppy controller built in (friends let me know about a bunch of AMD boards from 3-5 years ago running modern CPUs and RAM which still had them) and connect the drives up directly.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!