Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

New 72 Pin Cleaning?

Nov 12 at 10:26:13 PM
Porksta (102)
(Travis Wilson) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
I had a few of my NES consoles given a new 72 pin.  Tried them with my games, still can't get them to work.  Store that fixed them said my games were dirty and that was causing the issue.  Took them home, cleaned them, still can't get them to work.  I am reading about replacing 72 pins and one article mentioned that you need to really clean your games before using them on a new 72 pin.  Is this for real?  Would dirt or whatever have transferred over onto the new pin before I went back and cleaned the games?  Should I open the system, clean the pin, re-clean the games, and try again?  I have three consoles and six games and I can't get a single one to work at all.  Is needing to give your games a deep clean before using with a new pin an actual thing?

Nov 12 at 10:41:18 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Mega Tank (161)
< Master Higgins >
United States
Not sure, but you should always clean your games when testing them, new pin or not.

Good luck!  

-------------------------
Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

My FS Thread, SNES Carts: Click This.

Nov 13 at 12:37:24 AM
dingledick09 (7)

(Buzzy Adriatico) < Little Mac >
United States
Try turning system on without pushing the game tray down. If it's aftermarket pin that always happens

Nov 13 at 7:08:14 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
It probably wouldn't hurt to clean everything again, but some of the replacement pins I've used had an extremely tight grip and had to basically be "broken in" before they would work 100% of the time.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Nov 13 at 7:11:49 AM
StudyHallPanic#@! (1)
(Jason M Hill) < Tourian Tourist >
Kentucky
They're a little expensive but I've had great luck with the Blinking Light Win pin connector. Im also unsure if theyre still available but if you can find they're worth the money.

Nov 13 at 9:24:49 AM
Mobiusstriptech (14)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
Yeah the BLW is the only way I ever recommend people go if they aren't going to try and stick with OEM Nintendo. I personally use the BLW and have installed them for many of my Hi-Def NES customers.

For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Nov 13 at 10:23:47 AM
Meteor_of_War (16)
< Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Porksta

I had a few of my NES consoles given a new 72 pin.  Tried them with my games, still can't get them to work.  Store that fixed them said my games were dirty and that was causing the issue.  Took them home, cleaned them, still can't get them to work.  I am reading about replacing 72 pins and one article mentioned that you need to really clean your games before using them on a new 72 pin.  Is this for real?  Would dirt or whatever have transferred over onto the new pin before I went back and cleaned the games?  Should I open the system, clean the pin, re-clean the games, and try again?  I have three consoles and six games and I can't get a single one to work at all.  Is needing to give your games a deep clean before using with a new pin an actual thing?

You really do need to make sure your games have clean pin connectors.  Even in a brand new 72 pin connector a dirty game will give you problems. 

Post up a picture of some of your games' pins (cart opened if possible). 

*My NA Seller thread*
*My Local Find's Thread*

Nov 13 at 10:51:19 AM
BouncekDeLemos (79)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Could be that the tray is slightly warped (Due to people possibly putting extra pressure down in them to help make contact)? There were times when I had trouble with the actual tray that's holding the carts-- It seemed as if the carts only worked when there was no tray installed.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Nov 13 at 3:26:19 PM
Boosted52405 (460)
(Eric Bizzle) < King Solomon >
Iowa
I find the NES a bit finnicky when replacing the pin connector, but admittedly I am not an expert. When I put the tray back in, and get that little lip under the board, apparently I overtighten screws or something and the damn tray doesn't want to click and stay down as designed. I then loosen up the screws a hair and magically it works better. I have to be doing something wrong...but are you encountered anything similar?

Nov 13 at 3:39:19 PM
Meteor_of_War (16)
< Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

I find the NES a bit finnicky when replacing the pin connector, but admittedly I am not an expert. When I put the tray back in, and get that little lip under the board, apparently I overtighten screws or something and the damn tray doesn't want to click and stay down as designed. I then loosen up the screws a hair and magically it works better. I have to be doing something wrong...but are you encountered anything similar?

Usually the symptom of the tray not staying down is because the lip is not under the motherboard.  Never had that problem otherwise.

*My NA Seller thread*
*My Local Find's Thread*

Nov 14 at 4:18:30 PM
Boosted52405 (460)
(Eric Bizzle) < King Solomon >
Iowa
Originally posted by: Meteor_of_War

Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Usually the symptom of the tray not staying down is because the lip is not under the motherboard.  Never had that problem otherwise.

Thanks for the information, I'll take another peek at it (swore that darn lip was under!) :-) .

Nov 14 at 4:36:42 PM
Porksta (102)
Virginia
I just took it all to the store and told them not to call or email me that they are ready until they have put each game in each system and tested them to make sure they work. We will see what happens.

Nov 14 at 4:54:35 PM
SUBSCRIBER
BigHero1006 (19)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Nebraska
I recently replaced connectors in my two NES toasters. No issue at all with clean or not so clean games. The only thing I noticed was the games were much more difficult to remove from the system then before. I think you might have a connector issue.

It’s a Nintendo Entertainment System….If I wanted to play Sega I’d call your sister!

Nov 19 at 3:38:08 PM
Porksta (102)
Virginia
I got them back from the store but this time made sure to try them out before leaving so they knew I wasn't crazy. One console works fine but you can't push the game down. One console works every once in a while, and one console doesn't work at all. They refunded me and added a little extra for my troubles, so no complaints from me! I will maybe fool around with the two broken ones or just sell them as-is.

Nov 19 at 4:25:39 PM
Mobiusstriptech (14)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
How much do you want for the non working ones? I am interested.

Nov 19 at 5:13:49 PM
Porksta (102)
Virginia
I would probably be able to sell them here locally. I don't know if it would be worth it after shipping.

Nov 19 at 10:26:05 PM
Nes Freak (16)
(Dave ) < Kraid Killer >
California
clean the motherboard pins with some #0000 fine steel wool and windex. then try it again.

Nov 20 at 12:41:02 AM
Mobiusstriptech (14)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
Well let me know. If they genuinely have issues, I can still use them for parts.

Nov 20 at 10:16:58 AM
Porksta (102)
Virginia
Originally posted by: Nes Freak

clean the motherboard pins with some #0000 fine steel wool and windex. then try it again.

I'll give that a shot, thanks.