Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Reccomendations for good A/V Switches and Amps?

Apr 19 at 1:17:32 PM
AppleTractorBeam (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Illinois
I'm in need of new A/V switches for my gameroom. If anyone knows really good switches, post them here, however the ones I specifically need have to have:

-4 or more inputs
-S Video and Composite
-2 or more outputs
-Powered
-No Signal Loss

If anyone has good recommendations for an A/V switch and/or Amp that fits this criteria, please post it here and let me know. I do not mind having to buy two if feasible.

-------------------------

Apr 19 at 4:56:19 PM
Professor Gull (7)
(Professor Gull) < Little Mac >
Iowa
I have 2 of these and they work pretty good for what they are.

They are not powered and the only bad thing is its only 4 ports but as far as video degrading i did not see any with this one. I think I got it at Radio Shack for $20.

I tried doing nothing and always ended up doing something instead.

I don't check here on weekends so bear with me folks thats just my private game time not meant to be interrupted.

https://www.facebook.com/professo...
Gull Gaming on Youtube!
https://twitter.com/ProfessorDotG...

Apr 20 at 4:47:36 AM
The 8 Bit Redux (0)
< Meka Chicken >
New South Wales
Do you want it highly functional or highly stylish?

Apr 20 at 6:54:08 PM
AppleTractorBeam (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Illinois
Originally posted by: The 8 Bit Redux

Highly functional. But nothing that will run me over $100.

Apr 20 at 11:39:59 PM
The 8 Bit Redux (0)
< Meka Chicken >
New South Wales
Originally posted by: AppleTractorBeam

Originally posted by: The 8 Bit Redux

Highly functional. But nothing that will run me over $100.

Then I've got nothing sorry.

Apr 21 at 12:33:43 AM
gunpei (6)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
I'm curious why you require something powered?

With ever more devices (not just games) I gave up on button switchers and started using patch bays. You can get short patch cables from monoprice.com .

Apr 21 at 9:48:26 AM
AppleTractorBeam (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Illinois
Originally posted by: gunpei

I'm curious why you require something powered?

With ever more devices (not just games) I gave up on button switchers and started using patch bays. You can get short patch cables from monoprice.com .

I need 2 or more outputs, one to my CRT, other to my DVR, and they have to be powered so those multiple outputs aren't subject to signal loss.

Thanks for suggesting patch bays though. I was reading up on them and I'm intrigued, how exactly do you have yours set up?

Apr 21 at 11:33:31 AM
gunpei (6)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois

Thanks for suggesting patch bays though. I was reading up on them and I'm intrigued, how exactly do you have yours set up?

Screwed to the bottom of the loft above my desk. They're also rack-mountable. The TV, stereo receiver, computer ins and outs are all permanently connected, as are the VCR, DVD and CD players, and a couple other things. I can connect game consoles, video cameras, or anything new without digging around behind stuff. One could route 2 outputs with Y cables, but I don't know whether that would degrade the signal. It's just copper wires and connectors, no circuits. So I would expect not, but I haven't tried/not sure how to prove.

Edited: 04/21/2017 at 11:34 AM by gunpei

Apr 21 at 1:21:06 PM
DefaultGen (21)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Would an old Extron matrix switcher work? I work with their newer video gear at work, but their old analog stuff is extremely cheap. I don't see one off hand that supports composite, S-Video, audio, and multiple outputs all in one so you may need multiple devices to get both S-Video and composite up (I think you can get any combination of 3 of those 4 things though). Look at the Extron MAV and SVA matrix switches.

Apr 23 at 12:22:27 PM
AppleTractorBeam (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Illinois
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

Would an old Extron matrix switcher work? I work with their newer video gear at work, but their old analog stuff is extremely cheap. I don't see one off hand that supports composite, S-Video, audio, and multiple outputs all in one so you may need multiple devices to get both S-Video and composite up (I think you can get any combination of 3 of those 4 things though). Look at the Extron MAV and SVA matrix switches.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea, I've looked into it and I might go with something like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I do wonder, though, would I be able to get a switcher like this(http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTRON-Cr...) that supports component audio and video, and then use one female RCA to male BNC connector in the G port to pass through Composite video, and use this adapter ( https://www.amazon.com/S-Video-Ad...) and a female S-video coupler for S-video passthrough? That way I'd have one switchbox for Composite, S-Video, and Component?

If so, that would be wonderfully convenient for my setup, but I'd like to hear from you guys if that would be possible as I don't have any experience with these types of switchboxes.

Apr 23 at 5:17:07 PM
Natty Bumppo (1)
< Meka Chicken >
Colorado
You can find a lot of features on older AV receivers - I have two fairly old Pioneers set up that have 8 (or maybe nine) video inputs. And lots of watts rms if you decide you want to use them. I think they have super vhs inputs (I don't use it for anything so I don't remember for sure). And two sets of video out. They should be pretty cheap now - I think I paid about $100 for my second one about 6 years ago. If you go that route just be sure to get a remote with it - those can be hard (and pricey) to find for a specific unit.

"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

Edited: 04/23/2017 at 05:17 PM by Natty Bumppo

Apr 23 at 6:40:39 PM
AppleTractorBeam (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Natty Bumppo

You can find a lot of features on older AV receivers - I have two fairly old Pioneers set up that have 8 (or maybe nine) video inputs. And lots of watts rms if you decide you want to use them. I think they have super vhs inputs (I don't use it for anything so I don't remember for sure). And two sets of video out. They should be pretty cheap now - I think I paid about $100 for my second one about 6 years ago. If you go that route just be sure to get a remote with it - those can be hard (and pricey) to find for a specific unit.

I actually have a pioneer reciever that I use for my flatscreen, it was my dad's. It's only got composite though, and about 3 inputs for it too. I don't even think it could output to multiple sources from a single input.

I've definitely been thinking about getting a receiver, but there's so many that I don't really feel like looking that deep, and they mostly only specialize in sound.

Apr 23 at 8:09:22 PM
Natty Bumppo (1)
< Meka Chicken >
Colorado

I actually have a pioneer reciever that I use for my flatscreen, it was my dad's. It's only got composite though, and about 3 inputs for it too. I don't even think it could output to multiple sources from a single input.

I've definitely been thinking about getting a receiver, but there's so many that I don't really feel like looking that deep, and they mostly only specialize in sound.
Here's a picture of the back panel of the model receivers I own (Pioneer VSX9300S):

http://transamws6.com/pics/pionee...

My memory was playing hooky - it has five av inputs on the back panel with a sixth on the front panel.    If you want to use it just as a switcher you can just ignore the audio part of it.   For what it is worth IIRC it was the top of Pioneer's receivers when  I bought my first one in 1988.

Some of the other audio companies were producing similar units in that time period - this is the one I am familiar with since I have two of them.    I know Pioneer later released a VSX9500 and a VSX9900 but I know nothing about them other than that they were made.   

"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

Apr 24 at 7:08:10 PM
AppleTractorBeam (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Illinois

Here's a picture of the back panel of the model receivers I own (Pioneer VSX9300S):

http://transamws6.com/pics/pioneer.jpg

My memory was playing hooky - it has five av inputs on the back panel with a sixth on the front panel.    If you want to use it just as a switcher you can just ignore the audio part of it.   For what it is worth IIRC it was the top of Pioneer's receivers when  I bought my first one in 1988.

Some of the other audio companies were producing similar units in that time period - this is the one I am familiar with since I have two of them.    I know Pioneer later released a VSX9500 and a VSX9900 but I know nothing about them other than that they were made.   

I've looked into this a bit more and honestly... I don't really want to get a receiver. Not that it would have a lot of negatives, but I don't feel like I'm using it to its full potential that lies in its audio capabilities, and the AV inputs and outputs on many of them are just not enough for what I need. I feel like an Extron Matrix Switch would suit me very well, the only problem is that I really want to know if the audio can be transferred through the BNC ports, as I don't feel like the price of all the RCA-to-Phoenix adapters would be pretty.

Apr 28 at 5:01:25 PM
The 8 Bit Redux (0)
< Meka Chicken >
New South Wales
Try to find something along the lines of the Sony SB-V1000/SB-V3000 or like a Victor JX-S150.
They are both Japanese units as far as I know however I'm sure they made western equivalents, just not sure on model numbers or such.