Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Black spots around the edges of the screen on a Gameboy Pocket Easy fix or send it back?

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:19:53 AM
kingmog (0)
(Edd C.) < Cherub >
United Kingdom
So I recently bought a Gameboy pocket that had these black spots around the edges of the screen, it's there whether I turn on or off the gameboy so I don't think it's the lens:

Close up:

Will I need to replace the LCD screen? I've already google'd how to open up the gameboy pocket and it seems it's quite a handful to take out the LCD screen and fairly expensive to replace...any idea what I should do?

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:24:58 PM
Lance (0)
(Lance ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Those remind me of the dead pixels that show up on LCD screens from time to time. If that's the case, you'll have to replace the screen.

-------------------------

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:48:52 PM
kingmog (0)
(Edd C.) < Cherub >
United Kingdom
So it is the LCD screen then Well, I might be able to return it instead since I bought it on ebay and it wasn't mentioned in the description. It'd still cost less than buying a replacement screen I guess...

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:49:56 PM
adler_0 (60)
(Jesse Hric) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Sorry to bump this old thread but I just bought a gameboy with this same problem. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I was reading a tutorial for the older gameboy that just said to rub a soldering iron over a ribbon cable. Does that also work for the pocket? The dead pixels in my gameboy look just like the ones posted above, no "dead lines". Any help on this would be great as I was planning on doing a backlight mod.

------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for any "display only" N64 boxes.  PM me, $$$.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:07:59 PM
ProtonX (359)
(ProtonX Atomic) < El Ripper >
Oregon
Not sure exactly what causes them- but it's like some sort of screen rot. Only way I have found to fix it is to replace the LCD screen. It's the most common on the pockets- I have a stack of 5 dead screens with this.

Always buying broken handhelds and game systems. Especially Nintendo and NEC.