Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Weird little Star Wars Tie Fighter PC Demo / Dodge Neon Advertisement from 1994 (yeah, I know) Just thought I'd share an odd item I found in a box of stuff today.

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:58:57 PM
milligangames (403)
(Patrick Milligan) < King Solomon >
New York
I was digging through some old big box PC games I bought recently and found a pretty neat item. It's a little envelope with an "interactive demo" on 3.5" floppies of the ridiculously awesome PC game, Star Wars Tie Fighter (released in 1994). The cool/weird thing is that it is a cross-promotion with Dodge for the "New Dodge Neon". The demo displays an ad for the car before it lets you play the game. Comes with 2 disks, and a little check/coupon for $10 off a game when you purchase Tie Fighter along with it (expiration date 8/31/94).

From Wikipedia:

Demo

A demo of the game was released as an insert in Computer Gaming World prior to the official launch of the game. This demo was based on an unfinished build of the game and has some unique features as a result. The TIE fighter was the only available ship and the sole aim of the mission was to destroy several http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core...">Corellian Corvettes. Upon accomplishing the objective the mission looped. The cockpit is not the same as that in the final game, sound effects are different, and the soundtrack is from Star Wars: X-Wing. The demo was sponsored by Dodge and displayed a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodg...">Neon car advertisement before the gameplay began. It came on two 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy disks. The demo announced the game's release date as "Spring 1994", meaning between March and June of that year, but it wasn't released until July.[1]

Here is a video of the gameplay of the demo, and you can see the interactive Dodge Neon promo at the end of the video:

Here are some pics:

Just thought I'd share an odd item that I thought was pretty cool (especially considering that this was one of my early favorite PC games as a kid). This game definitely has a legacy as one of the best space shooters of all time and one of the best Star Wars games. If anyone thinks they have a place in their Dodge Neon/Star Wars (LOL) collection for this, its for sale! I don't expect much at all for it, so a few dollars on top of shipping should do it.

-------------------------

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:11:24 PM
bbadeau (1)
(Bill Badeau) < Little Mac >
Oregon
Thank you for sharing. I never played the game but the video called up memories of Atari Star Raiders. I'll bet that would be worth something to a Star Wars collector.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:22:07 PM
ulasamosa (279)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
interesting TIE-in. (Lulz). Star Was games and Dodge. Go figure. All my friends used to talk about how awesome TIE Fighter and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter were back when. I never had a PC in those early days so I missed out. Cool item man.

PROFESSIONAL GAME SAVE BATTERY REPLACEMENT
CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS!!!

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:03:00 AM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
Dude, I loves me some TIE Fighter. I'll totally take it off your hands. Any idea if the disks work?!

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:18:31 AM
milligangames (403)
(Patrick Milligan) < King Solomon >
New York
^ ^ No clue if they work, but they look excellent. Hard to tell with this type of media without testing though..

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:22:44 AM
Tanooki (185)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
That is neat, weird considering a car tie in, but neat. I just wish I had held onto the final revision of it that X-Wing Collectors box set, modern directX 3D graphics, all the expansion packs, and ran in winXP. I miss it, favorite of the style of shooters...well toss up between it and Wing Commander 1 and 2.

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:23:48 AM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
^If you want to play the classics again, look into DOSBox. It's a pretty awesome little DOS emulator. I use it for tons of my old PC games.