consoletime.com. Short and sweet

I like.

Oct 09 at 3:32:11 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Hogie1418

Now hold up, NO LOVING FOR MOBILE GAMERS!

hehehe...

I see you're now in here Hoagie.  You're a part of this?  I guess that now that GVN is no longer a personal project, you have a new project itch to scratch?  Awesome.  

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Oct 09 at 3:45:45 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois

That’s pretty good.

Oct 09 at 3:49:57 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: rlh

hehehe...

I see you're now in here Hoagie.  You're a part of this?  I guess that now that GVN is no longer a personal project, you have a new project itch to scratch?  Awesome.  

He's a part of this community yes but he's not been brought in on anything, he just seems to be posting out of the goodness of his heart, which we of course appreciate.

Oct 09 at 3:57:53 PM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Personally I like PurpleGanon. Let's be honest, anyone that likes video games enough to join a forum for it likely already knows who Ganon is. They might not know the origins of the phrase, but I don't see why that would detract people from going there. It's also not something that screams "exclusively Nintendo discussion" to me, unlike something that has Nintendo in the name.

My biggest concern about all this is the web presence. Right now if you google something about collecting or retro games Nintendoage is usually one of the very first things that shows up. NA is a treasure trove of information (and I don't just mean the database, you'll see a lot of good info in old threads), so it would be very difficult to recreate all of that. While obviously people can't just copy and paste stuff from here due to legal reasons unless they are the original posters I suppose, I think it is important for the new forum to start compiling a lot of this. Especially if this forum goes down at some point and all of that is lost.

Also I see some people don't want to have collecting in the name, but realistically... NintendoAge, while a good place for talking about games in general, gets most of its traffic from collectors. There's thousands of other sites out there to talk about video games in general, but not as many as that have a focus on the collecting aspect. And if this forum is sinking, I think the replacement having a reference to collecting isn't a bad thing. Collectroid.x would be my second pick

edit: consoletime is good too

Edited: 10/09/2019 at 03:58 PM by ZBomber

Oct 09 at 4:26:59 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: doner24

New name is picked, thanks Dave.... Captain N's Warmongers

armpitspiderbite.com

Oct 09 at 4:52:24 PM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
Console-ation Prize

Oct 09 at 4:59:32 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Now I'm totally confused. Are we actually proposing starting a competing forum or is this something the owner has approved? I didn't think that was allowed here.

Oct 09 at 5:02:11 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: zeppelin03

I agree with the gaming vs collecting points above. I've already sold off a good portion of my stuff and enjoy the games I have far more. Collecting is generally in the past for me. Would be great to chat more about the games themselves. I like that atgforum suggestion above by the way

The new forum will be about, in hopefully roughly equal measure:
  • Collecting (all forms of)
  • Playing (all types of)
  • and Making (homebrewing etc.)
... video games.

collectingplayingandmakingvideogames.com

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Oct 09 at 5:09:31 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I remember avoiding NintendoAge for a long time before finally making an account because of the somewhat "pompous" impression I got. Also I wasn't a collector. NA is probably what made me start collecting, but if the name of the site were something like Collectroid, I might never have joined. (and NA might have been a better place  )

As for NA culture, where does it come from? Why do people dislike NA? For me, I thought the forum was just an afterthought add-on, and that the core of the site was the game DBs. So I didn't want to set foot on the site unless I already knew a ton about video game history.

Oct 09 at 5:12:47 PM
CaLan87 (5)
(Cody ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Originally posted by: bootload

Now I'm totally confused. Are we actually proposing starting a competing forum or is this something the owner has approved? I didn't think that was allowed here.

lol yea, its obvious he doesnt care nor pay any attention to what goes on here. Thats what created this post and another. Start reading back to get caught up.  

*** Check out my WTB thread!! ***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 09 at 5:16:03 PM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
I was not aware of the stigma that surrounded NA before I joined. But while I was here the first few I definitely get a certain "elitist" air about this place. I left shortly after first arriving and almost didn't come back. But it was the best place to talk about collecting at the time and I was really heavy into it at the time. Now, not so much, I mostly play. I barely do any collecting anymore. NA definitely helped me in certain ways when it comes to collecting, and it has been fun interacting with a lot of people here, so I can say I no longer get the elitist sense from this place. But I do feel a lot of the regulars have left a while ago. I keep coming back though because I like games and being part of a community.

Oct 09 at 5:16:56 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia

And why would you make a new forum? What's wrong with this one?

Competing forum. Why would it not be allowed?

As for the reason to do so: The forum software is way out of date regarding structure and security and functionality. And the owner absolutely does not want to do anything about it. Neither will he let anyone else do anything about it, even on a volunteer basis.

Oct 09 at 5:21:36 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Originally posted by: AstralSoul13

I was not aware of the stigma that surrounded NA before I joined.
Same. And I didn't get an elitist air after joining, either. In fact, I was in short order roundly and rightly rousted for my own shitty attitude against others.

I think as with many things, in general one gets out of this place what one puts into it.

Oct 09 at 5:23:15 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Splain

I remember avoiding NintendoAge for a long time before finally making an account because of the somewhat "pompous" impression I got. Also I wasn't a collector. NA is probably what made me start collecting, but if the name of the site were something like Collectroid, I might never have joined. (and NA might have been a better place  )

As for NA culture, where does it come from? Why do people dislike NA? For me, I thought the forum was just an afterthought add-on, and that the core of the site was the game DBs. So I didn't want to set foot on the site unless I already knew a ton about video game history.

Well, I joined after years of finding useful answers to questions that I have had about games/consoles over the years. I also like hearing about great games that I’ve never played. I was not an avid follower, nor do I know much of the details about variants/history/etc.

With that said, enjoy browsing and learning, finding games to buy, and being around people who genuinely like talking about video games. I like hearing about scores, but I’m not interested in some of the obnoxious personalities I’ve seen in FB groups I’m in.

My wife hates video games. This is one of the few outlets that I can have that allows me to enjoy them even if I can hardly play them anymore.

Oct 09 at 5:25:17 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: rlh

hehehe...

He's a part of this community yes but he's not been brought in on anything, he just seems to be posting out of the goodness of his heart, which we of course appreciate.

Yep. Not apart of anything but simply showing my support!

Oct 09 at 5:27:01 PM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Purplegannon.com

Dead serious
+1

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Oct 09 at 5:32:22 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Originally posted by: gunpei

As for the reason to do so: The forum software is way out of date regarding structure and security and functionality. And the owner absolutely does not want to do anything about it. Neither will he let anyone else do anything about it, even on a volunteer basis.

I thought he bought it so he could improve it and make money from it. There's no reason for him to spend so much money on something and let it die a slow death with no revenue.

Oct 09 at 5:35:59 PM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio

I thought he bought it so he could improve it and make money from it. There's no reason for him to spend so much money on something and let it die a slow death with no revenue.

He bought it for the data on the site. If I remember correctly he had someone working on retrieving it a while back. He had a thread where he answered a number of questions regarding the purchase.

Edited: 10/09/2019 at 05:36 PM by zeppelin03

Oct 09 at 5:57:31 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

He was always pretty upfront about buying it for data mining.

I don't recall him saying anything about improving the site. But even if he did, his recent conversations with people (when he has communicated) suggested that is no longer on the table. Even when others offered to do all the work, that was left hanging.

So our choices are to stay here in a forum with an unresolved exploit that could result in a malicious attack that would bring it down for good (and an admin that would probably let it stay down), or create a new, secure forum.

That's where we are at with this.

Oct 09 at 6:04:01 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Originally posted by: Tulpa

He was always pretty upfront about buying it for data mining. I don't recall him saying anything about improving the site. But even if he did, his recent conversations with people (when he has communicated) suggested that is no longer on the table. Even when others offered to do all the work, that was left hanging. So our choices are to stay here in a forum with an unresolved exploit that could result in a malicious attack that would bring it down for good (and an admin that would probably let it stay down), or create a new, secure forum. That's where we are at with this.

That makes sense, I didn't see that posted anywhere else. Which data could he possibly have wanted? Posts?

Oct 09 at 6:08:21 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I think it was a combination of things. Posts, the game rarity lists, etc. Not sure exactly how he went about doing it. He also bought GVN. Clearly trying to make GoCollect a one stop shop for collecting.

Oct 09 at 7:19:11 PM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington

He was always pretty upfront about buying it for data mining. I don't recall him saying anything about improving the site. But even if he did, his recent conversations with people (when he has communicated) suggested that is no longer on the table. Even when others offered to do all the work, that was left hanging. So our choices are to stay here in a forum with an unresolved exploit that could result in a malicious attack that would bring it down for good (and an admin that would probably let it stay down), or create a new, secure forum. That's where we are at with this.

That makes sense, I didn't see that posted anywhere else. Which data could he possibly have wanted? Posts?
Wow I didn't know that...ok now it makes sense why everyone wants to move. I thought the new admin was actually planning on fixing the site somehow or at least keep it going...but if he was just in it for sucking out the data and is now done with that...yeah I can totally see how we might want to bail.

I thought everyone was just moving because the site wasn't as active these days and because it was old and sometimes doesn't work right. I didn't know there was a real IMPORTANT reason behind it.

Anyways name wise...I think having collecting in the name is important as someone pointed out there are a LOT of sites that just focus on gaming...but hardly any that focus on the collecting part of video games. If you want to include all consoles, not just Nintendo...and if you want to include those PC collectors...how about something basic? Like collectingforvideogames or something like that. No idea if that's taken or not but...you get the idea. Collectingvideogameforum is another one.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Oct 09 at 7:23:29 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >

One thread linked herein:
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Blog.View&Bl...

and

Last year Gloves, before he was a mod, recommended the site get a SSL cert at least, for security. Nothing happened. When the site came under new ownership, the new owner (Jeff of GC) explicitly stated nothing on this site will change except non-intrusive banner ads will be added. 

With a new owner, hope and request for some modicum of modernization were both renewed. But it turns out "nothing will change" cuts both ways, and all such questions have been pretty much ignored. 
There's a lot more, but that's some of the gist of it.

Oct 09 at 8:43:17 PM
____________ (15)

< Crack Trooper >
Kwajalein State
Originally posted by: jhm

@OptOut - I do fart, quite a bit actually. But I'm no big shot... they just smell that way  

jeffsfarts.com

Edited: 10/09/2019 at 08:43 PM by ____________