Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Govt Shutdown, Trump Wall, etc. political thread: skip if you don't like

Jan 10 at 3:54:19 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Why, I do believe we can have an intelligent and civilized discussion here!
SO, how is the government shutdown affecting people?? Well, I'm in higher ed right now, and it's affecting a lot of people that do research and teaching. Which in turn does trickle down to students, so if you're a student in college chances are it's affecting you in some way! I actually flew recently, and the TSA people are never really friendly, but I can totally understand why they're not in a good mood! I mean, if someone told you "oh don't worry you'll be paid for all your hard work soon! probably in a few weeks. Well, maybe a few months or years..." I have a feeling you would not be happy.

My view of the whole situation is summarized by this New York Daily News cover:

yup

For the record, I actually do believe our southern border could use more funding and regulations. However, Trump's tantrum is NOT the way to go about getting anything done.

Edited: 01/10/2019 at 03:56 PM by avatar!

Jan 10 at 3:58:33 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
It will be interesting to see who people blame once we are on the other side of it.

I imagine it will go along party lines, for the most part, but I suspect only Trump stands to lose any of his supporters over this.
And I really don't think he fully understands how many people impacted by this live paycheck to paycheck.

-------------------------

Edited: 01/10/2019 at 03:59 PM by arch_8ngel

Jan 10 at 4:01:10 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (104)
(Douglas Glover) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Doesn't seem to have affected me.

Jan 10 at 4:12:29 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

And I really don't think he fully understands how many people impacted by this live paycheck to paycheck.
I don't think he cares even if he understands.

After that press conference/meeting with Pelosi and Schumer blew up in his face, and getting castigated by right wing pundits like Coulter when he toyed with dropping the wall, he's now determined to win at any cost lest he be perceived as weak.

Blood's in the water, sharks are circling.

Jan 10 at 4:16:42 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Tulpa

I don't think he cares even if he understands.

After that press conference/meeting with Pelosi and Schumer blew up in his face, and getting castigated by right wing pundits like Coulter when he toyed with dropping the wall, he's now determined to win at any cost lest he be perceived as weak.

Blood's in the water, sharks are circling.

I don't mean that he would "care" in some compassionate sense.

But he would probably have done well to realize how many of his supporters in government jobs are going to suddenly NOT be his supporters when they miss a paycheck.

Seems like an enormous strategic blunder.

Edited: 01/10/2019 at 04:17 PM by arch_8ngel

Jan 10 at 4:19:42 PM
Katchii (22)
< Meka Chicken >
Florida
I really dont think Nintendoage is the correct place to discuss this...

This place is for video games!

Maybe head over to Zerohedge,

That place is for politics!

Jan 10 at 4:20:30 PM
SUBSCRIBER
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
I just personally don't think the wall would even work for what it is intended for. If it actually would work and keep drugs out and secure our borders, it would at least be something worth talking about.

But where it likely will not stop drugs from still pouring into this country from the many other ways it comes over in the first place, like boats and planes, it just seems like a big waste of time/money. And is promising something it just can't fulfill. Great distraction though.

gamevaluenow

Jan 10 at 4:22:04 PM
SUBSCRIBER
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts

I don't mean that he would "care" in some compassionate sense.

But he would probably have done well to realize how many of his supporters in government jobs are going to suddenly NOT be his supporters when they miss a paycheck.

Seems like an enormous strategic blunder.
He just seems to be making enemies on all fronts at this point. 

gamevaluenow

Jan 10 at 4:23:51 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: xMaGuSx

If it actually would work and keep drugs out and secure our borders, it would at least be something worth talking about.

You know what keeps drugs out?  Actually paying customs enforcement and inspecting cargo...  

Jan 10 at 4:33:14 PM
DefaultGen (25)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I'd be upset if I had kids and something as dumb as this wall is a party-uniting, national emergency but something like climate change that could actually ruin future generation's lives is barely on the radar. If we shut down the government over spending on a wall that doesn't address the root of a problem (GOP is constantly using distorted facts about drugs and migrants who come in through ports of entry or air... as if the open desert is the most vulnerable part of the border), imagine how impossible it will be to address much, much bigger problems like global warming, national debt, or antibiotic resistance, let alone ACTUALLY solving the problems of drug smuggling or illegal immigration.

I wish economists and scientists were in charge and not politicians. People who base their opinions or policy on the facts, rather than determining a political policy then trying to distort and omit facts to fit how they feel. The Dictator's Handbook is a cool book about the politics of staying in power and why that will never happen though.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #116: Where Did the Undocumented NWC Come From and Other Listener Questions

Edited: 01/10/2019 at 04:34 PM by DefaultGen

Jan 10 at 4:50:06 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California

I just personally don't think the wall would even work for what it is intended for. If it actually would work and keep drugs out and secure our borders, it would at least be something worth talking about.

But where it likely will not stop drugs from still pouring into this country from the many other ways it comes over in the first place, like boats and planes, it just seems like a big waste of time/money. And is promising something it just can't fulfill. Great distraction though.

it absolutely wouldn't. he likely knows this, and he definitely doesn't care either way. the wall accomplishes two things:

1. it's a rallying point for the racist core of his base
2. it's an opportunity to funnel govt contract money into his and his friends' pockets

fun fact: cartels have been building submarines to smuggle drugs in for a while now

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jan 10 at 5:03:51 PM
SNESNESCUBE64 (38)
(Orange Yoshi) < El Ripper >
Michigan
Boy when that wall goes up, the ladder industry will be booming in Mexico! That's a great magazine cover though.

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Jan 10 at 5:14:58 PM
SUBSCRIBER
coffeewithmrsaturn (355)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Putting aside the fact that the majority of Americans know the wall is an ineffective solution to a nonexistent crisis, it makes zero sense to hold government workers hostage as a negotiation tactic.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Jan 10 at 5:39:21 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire

Jan 10 at 5:47:11 PM
psychobear85 (59)
< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
I don't believe that the wall will do any good, but we do need better border security.

My wife is from San Luis, Arizona just right outside from Yuma and it's a border town and she does tell me all the time that if people want to cross over which they do it's not as hard to do so cause there isn't enough border agents. Drugs get here via tunnels mostly which also is a big problem in San Luis, she told me that cops are always finding tunnels leading from Mexico to San Luis more frequently then what is reported.

My WTB LIST 
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

Edited: 01/10/2019 at 05:50 PM by psychobear85

Jan 10 at 5:47:24 PM
dra600n (293)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Lincoln

it absolutely wouldn't. he likely knows this, and he definitely doesn't care either way. the wall accomplishes two things:

2. it's an opportunity to funnel govt contract money into his and his friends' pockets

fun fact: cartels have been building submarines to smuggle drugs in for a while now

Was going to mention that. The wall won't do shit, neither would cargo inspections and customs. Drones and one man fiberglass subs packed with $500,000 worth of drugs each hitting the shorts of any southern state and inlets into private neighborhoods in Florida.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 01/10/2019 at 05:48 PM by dra600n

Jan 10 at 5:59:55 PM
Davec13 (0)
(Dave W) < Crack Trooper >
New York

Being against ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is in no way shape or form racist. The cry of everyone who doesn't agree with your point of view as a racist is ignorant.

The entire media machine pushing this sky is falling bullshit is putting this shut down into hyper spin. The employees are missing their first paycheck TOMORROW. How in the hell are they getting evicted already? How are state parks being turned into human shit hell holes? That is happening in California where shitting in the streets is legal, so I guess I can understand.

Jan 10 at 6:04:20 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: SNESNESCUBE64

Boy when that wall goes up, the ladder industry will be booming in Mexico! That's a great magazine cover though.

ROFL!!

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jan 10 at 6:21:18 PM
CaliforniaGamingSD (29)

< Eggplant Wizard >
The four main issues with this are 1. Most drugs from Mexico mostly come in vehicles through legal ports of entry, 2. Immigrants commit less of every type of crime than native born americans, 3. Most illegal immigrants are here because they overstayed on their visas they didnt cross illegally, 4. Illegal crossings are at the lowest point since they took records, illegal immigration is down by 50% from its high points.

Jan 10 at 6:32:41 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Originally posted by: Davec13

Being against ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is in no way shape or form racist. The cry of everyone who doesn't agree with your point of view as a racist is ignorant.

The entire media machine pushing this sky is falling bullshit is putting this shut down into hyper spin. The employees are missing their first paycheck TOMORROW. How in the hell are they getting evicted already? How are state parks being turned into human shit hell holes? That is happening in California where shitting in the streets is legal, so I guess I can understand.

I definitely agree that there are numerous people that scream bloody murder when you don't agree with them, which is ridiculous. However, that said, I definitely think you should read up on the damage this is doing to the parks. I don't know why this is hard to believe? Tons of people are going to the parks (the government shutdown has actually made them MORE popular) and people are dumping trash and shite left and right. 
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/...
The parks have 330 million visitors a year. With no monitoring nor cleaning, trash is overflowing, people are shitting anywhere, they couldn't care about the rules and thus lots of destruction (as in, people are literally destorying the park through offroading and other illegal activities). 

As for people living paycheck to paycheck, yup, I can absolutely buy that. While I don't think people claim it has led to any evictions yet, if this drags on for months, absolutely millions could face eviction. Let alone if this drags on for years. Trump doesn't care. No one is evicting him from Mar-a-Lago. 

Edited: 01/10/2019 at 06:34 PM by avatar!

Jan 10 at 6:39:27 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: avatar!
I definitely agree that there are numerous people that scream bloody murder when you don't agree with them, which is ridiculous. However, that said, I definitely think you should read up on the damage this is doing to the parks. I don't know why this is hard to believe? Tons of people are going to the parks (the government shutdown has actually made them MORE popular) and people are dumping trash and shite left and right. 
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/national-parks-trash-pile-up
The parks have 330 million visitors a year. With no monitoring nor cleaning, trash is overflowing, people are shitting anywhere, they couldn't care about the rules and thus lots of destruction (as in, people are literally destorying the park through offroading and other illegal activities).

Yeah, we had shutdowns before, and people learned that the park staff are nowhere to be seen, so the vutures just descend in droves.

Jan 10 at 7:19:19 PM
MrWunderful (287)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: avatar!

Why, I do believe we can have an intelligent and civilized discussion here!
SO, how is the government shutdown affecting people?? Well, I'm in higher ed right now, and it's affecting a lot of people that do research and teaching. Which in turn does trickle down to students, so if you're a student in college chances are it's affecting you in some way! I actually flew recently, and the TSA people are never really friendly, but I can totally understand why they're not in a good mood! I mean, if someone told you "oh don't worry you'll be paid for all your hard work soon! probably in a few weeks. Well, maybe a few months or years..." I have a feeling you would not be happy.

My view of the whole situation is summarized by this New York Daily News cover:

yup

For the record, I actually do believe our southern border could use more funding and regulations. However, Trump's tantrum is NOT the way to go about getting anything done.

You do realize that you don’t get to decide what threads are made and not made right?

just putting skip if you don’t like it means nothing. We will let it go as long as there is an intelligent discussion. 

Jan 10 at 7:38:15 PM
MrWunderful (287)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Davec13

Being against illegal immigration isnt racist, but trying to cast all imigrants as rapist drug mules is.

I don't expect you to know the difference however, because you obviously cant tell the difference between transphobic and racist according to your super cool proud to be a racist shirt from that other stupid thread.

But hey, at least you got a dig in at California- now you can tell all your NRA buddies how you pwnd those libtard costal elites!

On the subject of walls-

Anyone who thinks building a fucking 2000 mile border is even a feasible construction project isnt worth the time arguing.  The logistics and planning behind it would be on a scale almost unimaginable.  Just wait until they try to come through texas and start taking peoples land, Im sure them small gov't types will just lay down and hand it over.  Who is going to supply the steel?  Not even for the "slats", for the rebar and the footings that will be required?  WHat aboput the concrete for the footings?  WHere are all those construction workers going to live, whiole the wall is built hundreds of miles from the closest town that can support them?  They wont be even able to find enough labor willing to work on it.

Maybe they can just hire some of those illegals from one of trumps clubs, I hear they work for cheap.

Edited: 01/10/2019 at 07:51 PM by MrWunderful

Jan 10 at 9:16:10 PM
phart010 (7)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I'm not on either side of the wall debate but its pretty funny that Donald Trump actually said this in the past:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?...

My want list: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

My stuff for sale:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

Seeking Sealed Refurbished by Nintendo games for Wii/U, (3)DS with red stripe
New SMB, New SMB+Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Pikmin NewPlay Ctrl, Mario 3D World, Kirby Epic Yarn
Need:MarioKart DS/Wii/8, Luigi U, Metroid Trilogy

Jan 10 at 9:22:01 PM
vladictivo (112)
(Vladi ) < Lolo Lord >
Mexico
Building walls at this stage of humanity is immoral. Specially if you justify it based on lies. I live 80 miles south of the border, there isn't such crisis as Trump insists on. The way to solve migration is to improve the locals situation to avoid them getting out of their countries, you could make better use of billions of dollars creating jobs instead of a massive concrete wall, is idiotic.

Keeping it custom: vladictivo.deviantart.com