Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

If you file for a refund on eBay because a package never arrived... and then it does, what should you do? This is an ethics question.

Jan 03 at 10:13:16 AM
rlh (61)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Ok, I ordered an item at the beginning of December on eBay and it was marked as shipped 1st Class USPS on the 18th.  It hasn't arrived so I'm starting the process of asking for a refund.  According to eBay, I'm within the appropriate timeframe to do this.

Anyway, I sent a polite message asking if there was a chance the the seller had a tracking number they hadn't posted with the item.  I definitely feel that this game should have arrived by now, but in the off chance that I actually get my refund and the item arrives much later than I expect, does eBay have a mechanism in place to re-pay a seller.  If I get the goods and they aren't damaged in shipping, I fully intend and am willing to pay for this.  That said, I can't wait forever for it to show up on my doorstep.

I know I'm jumping the gun on this, because it probably won't arrive, but this is the first time in decades that I've not received an item I've paid for that was marked as shipped.  I have had sellers "oops!" forget to ship it and they've been generous but this, supposedly, has shipped but hasn't arrived.

-------------------------
Please check out my -->WANTED<-- list of games.
[NES/SNES/GB/GG/GEN/N64/PS1/PS2]
I prefer trades but I buy too.
Switch ID: SW-8142-3998-4206

Jan 03 at 10:18:39 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Mega Tank (184)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
The correct thing to do would be close the claim. Call them if you have any questions about it. If you pay for an item and it arrives, theu did their end. Feedback is another thing. It doesn't help the situation if the seller hasn't responded to you.

I had disputed a charge once with my CC company for a couple of items that never arrived in a timely manner and well, no communication either. The items arrived and I called my CC company and they released the funds. It's just the right thing to do.

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e
My FS Thread: Click This.

Jan 03 at 10:22:32 AM
rickrollcollector (131)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I had few incidents like that where I sold an item and it came back to me couple of months later because of something wrong with their address and buyers never complained about package never arriving. I just subtracted shipping costs and refund them what they paid through PayPal and notify them via their email or ebay message but never even got a reply "thanks". I also had incidents where stuff didn't come, i got my refund and later it came. I usually message seller to ask how can I repay and if they message me back I pay them. I just feel that's how I would want others to treat me. I might be an asshole, bullshitter, nasty, rude or else but I never take people's money or items even in situations like you described.

Everything what I was told about Communism was a lie and everything about Capitalism was the truth.

Jan 03 at 10:24:09 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I bought something that the seller shipped, and UPS straight up lost track of it. It was only going thirty miles, too. Got a refund.

Then about a month and a half later, it shows up. I contacted the seller and went ahead and paid for it again (hey, it wasn't his fault, tracking showed he shipped it.)

Jan 03 at 10:47:10 AM
Camoran (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Iceland
This happened too me this november, the package did not arrive in timely manner. Was in contact with the seller, who asked me too wait a week.
Which i did and it did not arrive and i got a refund. Then it arrived a week after that.

I messaged the seller, and told him it had arrived. Ebay did not allow that i would repay him, and he was not allowed too tell me any details, it was a hell of a messages back and forth, but i finally got around
too pay him through paypal with some hints from him.

He was pleased, it was in my opinion the right thing to do.

Jan 03 at 12:40:57 PM
Strikezone1 (1)
(Steve ) < Little Mac >
Michigan
As far as I am aware, ebay doesn't offer any clear cut mechanism/process to re-pay the seller. Which kinda stinks, you'd think that they would since this type of thing isn't all that uncommon.

Sounds like all you can do is contact the seller and work something out. Either try to obtain his Paypal addy through message (which may be a pain since ebay monitors this heavily to avoid under-the-table dealings), or just buy another item that they have for sale at similar price, and they don't ship and you mark it as received.

Jan 03 at 1:01:12 PM
DaneNES (4)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Yeah I would think they could just make a new listing with best offer or something to get paid through eBay. Or just get his PayPal

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Jan 03 at 7:14:11 PM
phart010 (5)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Did they produce a tracking number for you? If they shipped it first class, they should definitely have tracking. If they didn't get a tracking number, they have no proof that they shipped the item.

I had a seller mark some Zelda boxes shipped promptly but they didn't arrive, he kept making excuses and within my last few days before the window of time for making complaints closed I opened an eBay case with him. He seemed annoyed that I opened a case and kept on making excuses about how things were the post offices fault but I kept persisting with how he needed to produce the tracking number. Finally he ran out of time, eBay refunded me and he stopped responding to me. I still never received anything from him

My want list: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

My stuff for sale:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

Seeking Sealed Refurbished by Nintendo games for Wii/U, (3)DS with red stripe
New SMB, New SMB+Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Pikmin NewPlay Ctrl, Mario 3D World, Kirby Epic Yarn
Need:MarioKart DS/Wii/8, Luigi U, Metroid Trilogy

Edited: 01/03/2019 at 07:14 PM by phart010

Jan 03 at 8:42:40 PM
< El Ripper >
if you sell an item on Ebay are you covered by their so called seller protection program? Anyone used that and can elucidate?

Jan 03 at 8:54:37 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
I've had stuff arrive late like this. I usually contact the seller and tell them and ask for a paypal address I can send them the money to.

Jan 03 at 9:18:42 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada
Maybe you should wait longer before filing a claim for an MIA package? I've been using eBay for a very long time now and i've come to find that 99.9% of all purchases will one day arrive, especially if we're talking about stuff sent from China. I've had countless purchases arrive significantly past the window to file a claim with eBay.

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Jan 03 at 9:42:19 PM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Never had it happen...I'd ask eBay about it. They'd probably say close the claim if you get it before the time is up. If the time is up and then you get it...would they suggest paying the seller back? Not sure...

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Jan 03 at 10:17:05 PM
phart010 (5)
North Carolina
You can always open a claim and leave it unresolved until after you receive the item. If you wait until the window is closed then you have no recourse if the item doesn't arrive

My stuff for sale:

New SMB, New SMB+Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Pikmin NewPlay Ctrl, Mario 3D World, Kirby Epic Yarn

Jan 05 at 10:25:24 AM
rlh (61)
North Carolina
UPDATE: First, to be clear, I would want to do my due dilligence in paying the buyer if I managed to get a lost package refund and then, months later or whatever, ir showed up. I buy and sell, and as a seller, I'd hope any buyer from me would do the same.

That said, my main question was regarding eBay and if they had a mechanism for goinf back and re-paying, but I guess I could have simply looked up the Paypal transaction and recent it if the item arrived.

That said, I opened up a claim and politely explained the circumstance. Turns out, the seller marked it shipped on the 18th with no tracking details, but he sent it priority mail on the 27th and when I filed a claim, he messaged me the tracking number.

USPS is reporting it should be in my mailbox today, so shipping/refunding crisis averted. Thanks for responding though.

Jan 05 at 11:57:30 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I guess he got sidetracked by the holidays, but still, nine days to ship is a bit much.

Jan 05 at 12:03:29 PM
CZroe (28)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
On December 6th I ordered printer ink from two different eBay sellers. The smaller order ($60.14 shipped) arrived in two days. The larger order ($500 shipped) seemed to be in limbo in transit from the West coast.

Almost a week later my landlord left a "we need to talk" voicemail. We discussed raising the rent but when she came to visit a few days later we learned that moving out was an even better option for her since the whole thing was prompted by her moving the family back into town where the rents are higher. Coincidentally, we had recently been offered a nicer place for the same price we were paying. Now it was nicer AND a cheaper. By Dec 17 we decided on that option.

It was just past the middle of the month and during all of this negotiation my package was still in transit. It supposedly had been in transit several days since leaving California when we decided to be out by the end of the month, which meant it had nearly half a month to finish crossing the country to get to Georgia. I mean, what were the chances "standard shipping" would take longer when it should not ever take more than three business days to reach postal facilities on opposite coasts? I figured I'd have it in another day or two, tops.

Nope.

In the time it took for that ink package to arrive we went from having no clue that our landlord was even considering coming back to town to being essentially gone/moved out. It's not that things were moving terribly fast for us or anything: It's that the package was moving sooo freakin' slow. Ultimately, it arrived at the very end of the very last day: Dec 31st (New Year's Eve). It wasn't holiday backup either: Another package I ordered on Dec 27 arrived before that (three TG-16s and a Turbo-CD dock).

I was at work when my bro called to tell me he got the package and the very first thing out of my mouth was "it had better not be Media Mail." Just then, I received a text showing a Media Mail mailing label. *facepalm* The seller was probably shocked that nearly 8.5 liters (almost $3,000 MSRP) of printer ink would cost so much to ship and yet he wasn't even charging me shipping after giving me such a great deal, but that doesn't excuse postal fraud.

Point is, I was really close to filing "not received" with eBay when it finally showed up. Tracking was almost useless since the USPS would continually revise the history to misrepresent things. The last update would typically say "1 day ago" for several days before finally saying "2 days ago." I feel like I'm more forgiving than most when it comes to ship times but even I was ready to file over this one. If I weren't so busy moving I may have.

Jan 10 at 8:16:55 PM
phart010 (5)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: rlh

UPDATE: First, to be clear, I would want to do my due dilligence in paying the buyer if I managed to get a lost package refund and then, months later or whatever, ir showed up. I buy and sell, and as a seller, I'd hope any buyer from me would do the same.

That said, my main question was regarding eBay and if they had a mechanism for goinf back and re-paying, but I guess I could have simply looked up the Paypal transaction and recent it if the item arrived.

That said, I opened up a claim and politely explained the circumstance. Turns out, the seller marked it shipped on the 18th with no tracking details, but he sent it priority mail on the 27th and when I filed a claim, he messaged me the tracking number.

USPS is reporting it should be in my mailbox today, so shipping/refunding crisis averted. Thanks for responding though.
So did your stuff arrive?

My stuff for sale:

Jan 10 at 8:30:23 PM
DefaultGen (24)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Kraid Killer >
United States
This happened to me with some Magic cards (~$120 worth). I got a refund from Ebay. They showed up close to 2 years later, nearly all their value gone by then (2x Foil Bonfires of the Damned if you're curious) and I just sent them back on my own dime. Obviously there was no point in trying to re-pay since they were pretty much worthless by the time they showed up.

Happy you got your thing on time though  

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #110: How do we Organize our Collections?

Jan 11 at 8:17:40 AM
rlh (61)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: phart010

Originally posted by: rlh

So did your stuff arrive?

Yes, it did and I closed the ticket.  I hoped that would be the case, but I was asking this question just to do my due dilligence beforehand, in case this was an issue.

Jan 11 at 10:21:18 AM
Roiroiroi (1)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Netherlands
If they didn't put in any effort to give you a tracking number and/or aren't communicating what is happening you shouldn't feel any remorse opening a claim. Glad it turned out fine in this case!

Jan 11 at 11:42:48 AM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < El Ripper >
Texas
If there is no tracking info and the estimated delivered date it past, I first send a message to seller. If no response then the next day, I open a case to expand the item return window.
If I do get a package after getting a refund, I do end up paying them back if that happens. Only happened one time for me, mostly the others it just never came or even was actually shipped (shady sellers).

@DefaultGen Wow 2 years later. That's crazy. USPS lost 2 NES prototypes wonder if I will ever see those.

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Jan 11 at 2:57:13 PM
punkr13 (115)
(B Rye) < King Solomon >
California
Ok wait you bought something
Tracking was uploaded on the 18th
Today the 10th you started a claim?
Did you contact the seller before starting a claim?
Or are you planning on starting a claim today ?

Also during the Xmas time you gotta take into consideration the amount of mail that goes around so a delay can happen
Days like Xmas/New Years day are basically holidays
If you're in the east coast , weather comes into play too

Basically theirs a lot of things that can delay a package.

If you haven't started a claim hopefully you contacted the seller first

my art stuff: http://punkr13.deviantart.com/...

my FS thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jan 12 at 11:24:59 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
I would just imagine myself in the seller's position and think about what the seller *hopes* I would do. Then I would do that.

Just doing for others as I would hope for them to do for me.

Jan 12 at 11:26:34 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Oh yeah, eBay marks the item "shipped" the moment the seller buys postage when postage is purchased through PayPal.

Edited: 01/12/2019 at 11:44 AM by Ichinisan

Jan 12 at 11:31:54 AM
MrWunderful (286)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

I would just imagine myself in the seller's position and think about what the seller *hopes* I would do. Then I would do that.

Just doing for others as I would hope for them to do for me.

This is how I feel.