Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

It's shameful what US Open did to Naomi Osaka Serena Williams you lost, deal with it!!!!

Sep 10 at 7:10:16 PM
jonebone (540)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: avatar!

Originally posted by: Hogie1418

Originally posted by: Boosted52405

^ Well, rules are rules...she is just a drama queen, happened several times in her career. Personally don't think she's a monster, but should be more of a role model. The "thief" comments and demanding an apology shows her false sense of entitlement. Clearly took away the attention of the win for Osaka, but she did try to save face a bit after the fact by saying "no more booing" blah blah.

She's like the Richard Sherman of Tennis...crazy talented but too much drama to be a fan.

Ehh.. they are rules that are not enforced consistantly. That is the issue that I have with it. Enforcing these rules in the final of a major is not the time to flex your ump muscles.

Should Serena have dropped it.... yes. Should the ump have had thicker skin.... yes. In my opinion, both could have handled it better.
I don't understand your train of thought. Rules... should not be enforced, is that what you're saying?? I think, especially in a major tournament, they SHOULD be enforced. If the rules are not enforced consistantly, and admittedly they are not in tennis, that is a problem with other umpires but not this one.  Regardless, this was NOT the umpire's fault but with the crowd and especially Serena. For a great analysis, read this:

Let's lay off the sensationalist media article please.  

Millions of people tuned in to see a championship tennis match, not a debate over rules.  The fans are the real victims here as they were deprived of a potentially classic match that goes down with an asterisk.  Sure Serena had a part but the power tripping umpire shoulders more blame.  He could have a bit thicker skin instead of whining about being called a thief.

Not sure how much you know about sports, but here's an analogy for you.

It'd be like Jordan dribbling down the court in the Finals with 5 fouls.  Then a guy hops in front of him at mid court and falls over.  Pretty much everyone would let them play on in that case, but there's always gotta be one guy who would maybe call it a charge and foul Jordan out of a game.  That would deprive millions of people from seeing perhaps the greatest ever from finishing a championship game... though they play best of 7 and he'd have more chances.

Serena really is that level like it or not, perhaps even higher being as she may be the best female athlete of all-time, no matter what sport.  Doesn't excuse her from being a poor sport but it should earn here a bit more respect when deciding a championship game.  Umpire was hiding behing his badge and was offended that an athlete wasn't kissing his ass.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: Ittle Dew 2 (Switch)
Now Playing: N/A
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 11 at 6:41:04 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
The ump is the official of the game and Serena should have known that spewing nonsense and verbally attacking him, regardless of his decisions, wasn't going to get her anywhere. Pretty selfish to act like the baby she did and I believe her speech at the end was just damage control and back peddling once she calmed down a little. Her emotions got the best of her which is why she broke her racquet and wouldn't let the ump's ruling go well after the initial call. If Serena had just taken the first call on the chin and continued to play this would have been nothing more than a poor call at most and extremely likely to have zero concequence on the outcome of the match.

I don't think most of us would have even cared or known that Osaka won if it wasn't in the news for all the wrong reasons.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Sep 11 at 9:01:41 AM
< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: Boosted52405

^ Well, rules are rules...she is just a drama queen, happened several times in her career. Personally don't think she's a monster, but should be more of a role model. The "thief" comments and demanding an apology shows her false sense of entitlement. Clearly took away the attention of the win for Osaka, but she did try to save face a bit after the fact by saying "no more booing" blah blah.

She's like the Richard Sherman of Tennis...crazy talented but too much drama to be a fan.

Ehh.. they are rules that are not enforced consistantly. That is the issue that I have with it. Enforcing these rules in the final of a major is not the time to flex your ump muscles.

Should Serena have dropped it.... yes. Should the ump have had thicker skin.... yes. In my opinion, both could have handled it better.
I don't understand your train of thought. Rules... should not be enforced, is that what you're saying?? I think, especially in a major tournament, they SHOULD be enforced. If the rules are not enforced consistantly, and admittedly they are not in tennis, that is a problem with other umpires but not this one.  Regardless, this was NOT the umpire's fault but with the crowd and especially Serena. For a great analysis, read this:

Let's lay off the sensationalist media article please.  

Millions of people tuned in to see a championship tennis match, not a debate over rules.  The fans are the real victims here as they were deprived of a potentially classic match that goes down with an asterisk.  Sure Serena had a part but the power tripping umpire shoulders more blame.  He could have a bit thicker skin instead of whining about being called a thief.

Not sure how much you know about sports, but here's an analogy for you.

It'd be like Jordan dribbling down the court in the Finals with 5 fouls.  Then a guy hops in front of him at mid court and falls over.  Pretty much everyone would let them play on in that case, but there's always gotta be one guy who would maybe call it a charge and foul Jordan out of a game.  That would deprive millions of people from seeing perhaps the greatest ever from finishing a championship game... though they play best of 7 and he'd have more chances.

Serena really is that level like it or not, perhaps even higher being as she may be the best female athlete of all-time, no matter what sport.  Doesn't excuse her from being a poor sport but it should earn here a bit more respect when deciding a championship game.  Umpire was hiding behing his badge and was offended that an athlete wasn't kissing his ass.
Not sure how much you know about sensationalist media reports, but what I linked to certainly was not one of them   Also, I think it's asinine to blame the umpire for following the rules. Any way you look at this, Serena was nothing more than a spoiled brat, and instead of showing any sort of camaraderie and grace, she ended with one of the most disgraceful behaviors of a world-renowned sportsperson.

Your analogy is WAY off mark by the way. This was NOT a team sport, Osaka did not foul. A better analogy would be that Jordan (in this case Serena) would double dribble, then double dribble, then double dribble, and when finally called out, argue with the ref. Gee, wonder why that didn't go well. Myself, I'm tired of people thinking they can circumnavigate rules, just because. Deal with it. Yes, in "real" life as in sports there are rules, and eventually you will (hopefully) and SHOULD be help accountable to them!

Edited: 09/11/2018 at 09:02 AM by avatar!

Sep 11 at 2:59:25 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/...

There's a serious double standard here.

In mens sports, tennis too, they yell and scream. It's not called a "melt down". It's called being passionate. But when Serena Williams does it, it's a "melt down".

It's hard for us to comprehend because most of us are white males.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Sep 11 at 5:06:54 PM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < Ridley Wrangler >
Sweden
Originally posted by: AirVillain

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/45468290

In mens sports, tennis too, they yell and scream. It's not called a "melt down". It's called being passionate. But when Serena Williams does it, it's a "melt down".

So one judges call is a big sexist illuminati conspiracy yeah alright.

Sep 11 at 5:23:37 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

It probably should be called a "meltdown"for the guys, as well.

It is incredible to me how unsportsmanlike the conduct is with pro tennis players.

Sep 11 at 5:25:05 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

It is incredible to me how unsportsmanlike the conduct is with pro tennis players.

Sep 12 at 6:44:23 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
I don't follow tennis but I don't have a problem with what happened. When I watched the video above it seemed to me that she berated the ump over and over again. She shouldn't be surprised when it doesn't go well, for starters, and secondly she was going to lose the match anyways IMO. I don't see the big deal. So she was penalized a single game in a set. It wasn't the final game in the set. She had an opportunity to come back and couldn't. Whatever.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Sep 12 at 8:02:38 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Osaka is a woman too and didn't get penalized... maybe because she didn't act like a baby. Probably the umps fault that Serena broke her racquet too, I guess. She badgered the ump about not getting coaching when her own coach said that's exactly what he was doing. Even if they don't consistently enforce it, he had every right too. It honestly looked like Serena was going to have a mental/emotional break down during several points in the match and it clearly got to her.

Sep 12 at 8:56:33 PM
YOURTURN (0)
(Philip N.) < Tourian Tourist >
California
I used to be a forum moderator for a site called AHD: Anime Hopes & Dreams. So with hopes of not offending jonebone in any way, shape, or form... I have to disagree with his opinion towards the referee in question. For beginners, a referee is simply a sports-based moderator that is required to enforce all the rules. And not a highway patrol officer who focuses more for both speeders and reckless drivers, when others ignore the speeders who do not seem to be endangering other drivers at that point of their time. I have not only seen those types, but also heard of ones that enforce the laws as they currently stand in California.

In my (edited) case, she was wrong. The correct way to confront a "coaching penalty" is to confront the coach and continue the game. The correct way to confront a possible "sexist" behavior is to continue playing, calm down when the game is over, and ask the officials if his call is based on any new or exisiting rules. Did she do any of this despite the fact she is a professional with 23 Grand Slam wins and the chance to get a few more? She did not. What she did was a "My self-entitlement is not being met" act that targets the fact he is a male referee, while ignoring the fact her coach admitted that one of the penalties was his fault.

And in regards to championships... The AWA stripped Ric Flair of (at least) 8 of his Heavyweight Chapionship wins. They could have listed those as "Vacated" but instead they removed them from the official record because he violated their rules. And even though wrestling is considered "sports entertainment" these days, he did earn those wins. But he also did not use any female wrestling champions as a means of protesting against their decision to strip him of these championship wins. Nor did his fans vilify those who made the decision for doing just that.

Edited: 09/13/2018 at 01:48 AM by YOURTURN

Sep 12 at 9:06:26 PM
captmorgandrinker (559)
(Vas ) < Bonk >
Ohio

Yep, that and baseball (although the umps seem to enjoy the pageantry aspect of it in baseball).

Try that shit in rugby.   You'll keep getting penalized in ten meter increments until your own teammates beat your ass to shut you up.

Sep 12 at 10:50:03 PM
YOURTURN (0)
California
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Yep, that and baseball (although the umps seem to enjoy the pageantry aspect of it in baseball).

Try that shit in rugby.   You'll keep getting penalized in ten meter increments until your own teammates beat your ass to shut you up.

My rant aside, would it be wrong for me to imagine myself playing rugby with 2D and 3D women after reading that?

(Also, Japanese rugby was one of the few sports I am willing to watch when there is nothing else to do. Just a FYI.)

Sep 13 at 12:50:27 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

Originally posted by: Tulpa

The broken racket infraction is automatic, right?

It is at the umpires discretion.

In a US Open final, you can bet it is almost automatic.

Sep 13 at 1:11:26 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

The problem with this reasoning is that you can take any man playing and losing is cool IN ANY GAME, whatever the importance, and then put in comparison with what Serena did THIS time.

MOST players, MEN and WOMEN, don't behave like Serena did in a Grand Slam final. That's also the important point to understand.

Maybe the coaching penality wasn't that much deserved, but Carlos Ramos is considered to be one of the best Umpire (for a long time) and you got to give the guy some benefit of the doubt as well, you know, maybe he knows a couple things more than us about handling code violation. And Serena should give him some cred too, IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, when she argued with him about not being a cheater, and they both came to a somewhat common ground, this was already over. But she broke that stupid racket, and then went on a non-stop rant against Ramos for every seconds of every little downtimes. It is not just about the thief comment, she was just complaining non-stop to him and this isn't normal Grand Slam final behavior.

Anyway, maybe Ramos haven't made the best calls, maybe, but it should also be noted that this stupid incident was definitely a tango between both of them, and Serena lead the dance in fueling it non-stop after SHE broke a racquet in a US OPEN final that she was losing so far. While everybody should be treated as equal by referees, referees should't be wary to penalize some players because they know they will make a shit show out of it.

And EVERYBODY involved in WTA competition know that Serena acted like this in the past, many times when she's losing a match of importance. At some point it is not just about her being a woman or anything else that identifies her, it is because they know her character as an individual and a top player (literally one of the the best woman in tennis ever, maybe the best) being involved in many high competitive matches in the last 20 years.

IMO, the media should drop that stupid story as soon as possible cause nothing good will get out of it. It isn't a good situation to make a claim of anything, be it sexism in sports or proving Serena being a monster.

Edited: 09/13/2018 at 01:14 AM by guillavoie

Sep 13 at 9:01:37 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

That's the EXACT point. That the media made a big deal out of Serena complaining (right or not) when men who do the same thing aren't labelled in such ways.

As soon as a black women yells at a referee she's having a "meltdown", when a white man does it he's "arguing the call". There was someone who pointed this out on Twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmniTkMUYAARNqX.jpg

That happened a week apart.

Originally posted by: cartman
It's not a conspiracy. It's happening right now. It just doesn't affect you because you're a guy (I'm assuming?).

Women get paid less for the EXACT same work.

That's a pretty good place to start.

Originally posted by: guillavoie

IMO, the media should drop that stupid story as soon as possible cause nothing good will get out of it. It isn't a good situation to make a claim of anything, be it sexism in sports or proving Serena being a monster.

The thing is, THIS is what got everything started. The picture above. Where The New York Post said "Serena has the mother of all meltdowns"....

THAT right there is the problem. That when a woman yells and screams it's a melt down, but when a guy does it, he's just passsionate or arguing a play.

It's a double standard, at the very least by The New York Post.... but as I've seen, many people blindy support it and they don't know why. It's because of the indoctrination of a patriarchal based society and world.

I'm happy it's changing. Rich white men being in charge has gotten the world all fucked up. At least shit is starting to get right. Will it ever be "equal"? Who knows. I hope so.

You know what good will come of it? Women will get treated better.

Why is that such a bad thing???

The fact that some people can't understand what this is really about is a little alarming.

GUYS.... Women (your mothers, sisters, daughters) are all treated differently than you. They get paid less, work more, get less job opportunities, less chances in school, fewer places to learn, fewer opportunities in sports, etc. etc.

THIS IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW.

If you have a wife, she should be making more money at her job. A mom, she was probably not given advancement opportunities, or even passed over for jobs to begin with. Your daughters will get fewer chances in school to be in higher programs, and earn higher wages.

This changing is a good thing.

White men being in charge of all of this has brought us here. Understand that.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 09/13/2018 at 09:16 PM by AirVillain

Sep 13 at 11:18:14 PM
Brachabre (7)
(Weiner Tacos) < El Ripper >
Texas
No honor. Poor fucking sportsmanship. What a crying shame. Way to go Naomi!

Sep 13 at 11:25:36 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

That's the EXACT point. That the media made a big deal out of Serena complaining (right or not) when men who do the same thing aren't labelled in such ways.

As soon as a black women yells at a referee she's having a "meltdown", when a white man does it he's "arguing the call". There was someone who pointed this out on Twitter:

It's not a conspiracy. It's happening right now. It just doesn't affect you because you're a guy (I'm assuming?).

The thing is, THIS is what got everything started. The picture above. Where The New York Post said "Serena has the mother of all meltdowns"....

THAT right there is the problem. That when a woman yells and screams it's a melt down, but when a guy does it, he's just passsionate or arguing a play.

It's a double standard, at the very least by The New York Post.... but as I've seen, many people blindy support it and they don't know why. It's because of the indoctrination of a patriarchal based society and world.

I'm happy it's changing. Rich white men being in charge has gotten the world all fucked up. At least shit is starting to get right. Will it ever be "equal"? Who knows. I hope so.

The fact that some people can't understand what this is really about is a little alarming.

GUYS.... Women (your mothers, sisters, daughters) are all treated differently than you. They get paid less, work more, get less job opportunities, less chances in school, fewer places to learn, fewer opportunities in sports, etc. etc.

If you have a wife, she should be making more money at her job. A mom, she was probably not given advancement opportunities, or even passed over for jobs to begin with. Your daughters will get fewer chances in school to be in higher programs, and earn higher wages.

I see that you took good notes of what the ideologues of the moment want you to believe.

Sep 13 at 11:37:06 PM
YOURTURN (0)
California
AirVillain... Sigh... Should the fact she had a series of temper tantrums be disregarded because she is a female? That we should automatically make this about sexism and the fact she acted both unprofessional and self-entitled in a GRAND SLAM match? Or should we acknowledge the fact she was verbally attacking the referee simply because she did not like the calls she made? And the fact she did not confront her coach about the coaching penalty either during or after the match, as well as the fact she played the gender card in a manner that was both unprofessional and self-entitled?

No offense but that is a sexist comparison and a blatant disregard for the fact she did not act like a professional. Her coach admitted to coaching her, she did destroy a racket, and she made the choice to vilify the ref. All because she did not have things go her way. And you also disregarded the fact that if the player in question did anything similar, he would be both fined and banned for a set amount of gamers. With the banning going to the next season if it was a championship match. Hence why the ref appears to be extra strict since it was a championship match.

And if you want blantant sexual discrimpancies, try the history of PlayStation Home in the North American server. Despite the fact there are reports and complaints about sexual harassment and didital sexual abuse on that server, the only time I even got a response from them was about the HafuGirl incident. By their legal department. And after I filed a compaint to the ESRB for the fact they do not maintain their "E" for Everybody rating (which I was told is their policy) for the sake of protecting female avatars, etc., and the volume of time I have been reporting her on this manner.

Sep 13 at 11:40:44 PM
CaliforniaGamingSD (26)

< Crack Trooper >
Serena deserved the two points, she broke the rules. But from what I've heard the ump has been cussed out and told off by male athletes and not given penalties. In 2016, Nick kyrgios told him "that's bullshit" are you kidding? Fucking bullshit." After being given a warning for raising his voice to a ball boy. Then Rafael Nadal told the guy "he would never work again" in 2017. To make someone lose a match is huge! (This was all taken from a respectable news outlet.)

Sep 14 at 2:46:46 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Literally hundreds of articles and videos online of WHITE MALE coaches and players flipping out where the term 'meltdown' is used. Look at all the women in this article...

https://www.independent.co.uk/spo...

FYI the earnings for men and women at the US open is equal across the board. Pretty good for women actually since they almost always bring in lower viewership, cheaper tickets, and generally create significantly less revenue for the sport than the men.

Sep 14 at 6:47:24 AM
cartman (16)
Sweden

"Meltdown" could just be a synonym used while someone else would've said another word. People aren't clones and they talk in different ways and yet it doesn't mean that they didn't mean the same thing.

"It's happening right now"? Yeah you gotta be wrong if you're a guy, right? Unless you're agreeable ofcourse then it's all good.

And as things stand both Williams 1 and 2 are multi-millionaires and have earned a lot of praise. Womens tennis is even more popular than mens by the way (if the point wasn't already proven as it is) so they are entitled to it unlike if the roles where reverse where i'm sure you would be bitching about how unfair it is.

Black athletes and entertainers are rich in their own rights and a lot of them are business men in their own right. If and when a white man is rich it's not because of some white conspiracy that desperately wanted to see him there and likewise he's not running around giving handouts to the collective white malehood either but looking out for his own ass like everyone else.

When you factor in that men work more, risk more, are on sickly leave less etc. and in better paid jobs to begin with it falls into place.

Sep 14 at 4:26:09 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Sexism and double standards are bad. That is all.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Sep 14 at 4:28:35 PM
< El Ripper >
Sexism, racism, and double standards are definitley "bad"... is this cartoon an example of them?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-a...

Serena Williams cartoon: outrage-mongering or old-fashioned racism?
Irish observers might be reminded of our grim history at the hands of 'Punch'

Edited: 09/14/2018 at 04:31 PM by avatar!

Sep 14 at 5:03:34 PM
CaliforniaGamingSD (26)

< Crack Trooper >
From News Corp the company where Donald Trump gets his "news," makes sense.

Sep 14 at 5:37:59 PM
cartman (16)
Sweden

Sexism, racism, and double standards are definitley "bad"... is this cartoon an example of them?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/serena-will...

Serena Williams cartoon: outrage-mongering or old-fashioned racism?
Irish observers might be reminded of our grim history at the hands of 'Punch'

no