Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

It's shameful what US Open did to Naomi Osaka Serena Williams you lost, deal with it!!!!

Sep 10 at 6:24:03 AM
< El Ripper >
yup
how do you print screen

https://nypost.com/2018/09/08/its...

Just another reason for me to avoid professional sports... which I mostly do! Huge egos, so much (wasted) $$$$$$ put in... for what?? 
And, when something exciting happens, like a young, humble, fresh face winning... this is how people react?! The hell with professional sports. I'd rather spend my money on other things. 

Naomi Osaka, 20 years old, just became the first player from Japan to win a Grand Slam. Yet rather than cheer Osaka, the crowd, the commentators and US Open officials all expressed shock and grief that Serena Williams lost. Osaka spent what should have been her victory lap in tears. It had been her childhood dream to make it to the US Open and possibly play against Williams, her idol, in the final...At the awards ceremony, Osaka covered her face with her black visor and cried. The crowd booed her. Katrina Adams, chairman and president of the USTA, opened the awards ceremony by denigrating the winner and lionizing Williams — whose ego, if anything, needs piercing.

“Perhaps it’s not the finish we were looking for today,” Adams said, “but Serena, you are a champion of all champions.” Addressing the crowd, Adams added, “This mama is a role model and respected by all.”

That’s not likely the case now, not after the world watched as Serena Williams had a series of epic meltdowns on the court, all sparked when the umpire warned her: No coaching from the side. Her coach was making visible hand signals.

“I don’t cheat to win,” Williams told him. “I’d rather lose.”

After her loss, Williams’s coach admitted to ESPN that he had, in fact, been coaching from the stands, a code violation. 

“I’m sorry,” Osaka said. “I know that everyone was cheering for her and I’m sorry it had to end like this.”

She should never have had to apologize for playing her best, that is what she was supposed to do! She should only have apologized if she purposely did not play her best... but anyway, this was beyond lame...

Edited: 09/10/2018 at 06:26 AM by avatar!

Sep 10 at 6:36:46 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Mega Tank (183)
< Master Higgins >
United States
Break something at work and see how that goes for the average person. I never understood why athletes get away with such actions if they are in the national spotlight and are supposed to be role models.

-------------------------
Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e
My FS Thread: Click This.

Sep 10 at 7:36:56 AM
ifightdragons (6)
< El Ripper >
Norway
The Williams sisters, while immensely gifted athletes, have always come across as spoiled brats. Serena maybe more so than Venus.

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Edited: 09/10/2018 at 07:37 AM by ifightdragons

Sep 10 at 8:48:27 AM
buttheadrulesagain (19)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
What I am able to gather, Serena got mad at the judge because he was penalizing her because she supposedly received coaching during the match, which is against the rules. Apparently she did not see her coach during the match, but the coach was trying to give her some signals. Also, supposedly this is a common practice even if it's against the rules (and again, SUPPOSEDLY, Osaka was receiving this kind of coaching as well). Serena was penalized with a point for breaking her racket, and at that point she lost it and insulted the judge, so he penalized with a complete match.

Not to excuse Serena's lack of self control, but the situation was more complex. Also, according to a fellow Serb tennis player, judges tipically do not penalize that harshly for something akin to what Serena did or said.

Edited: 09/10/2018 at 08:50 AM by buttheadrulesagain

Sep 10 at 9:38:56 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Serena is a sore loser grasping for straws. Maybe the ref was a little tough, but Serena lost her cool and acted like a baby which isn't the first time. She completely ruined Osaka's first win, which very likely would have been a victory regardless of the ref. Talking shit about having a kid and never cheating... give it a break. The crowd booing was just icing on the cake. What a terrible display for the US Open. Poor Osaka's first win will always be tarnished by this selfish behaviour.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Sep 10 at 10:22:31 AM
empire (58)
(Matt ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Shes a shitty human being

SW-6786-5095-2210 -- "dude had a canoe and he doesn't anymore...don't see what the big deal is"

Sep 10 at 10:33:05 AM
psychobear85 (57)
< El Ripper >
Nevada
It's true, she's acting like a sore loser and she's trying to bust out the women card.

She's getting irrelevant and outdated and she can't handle it

My WTB LIST 
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

Sep 10 at 10:57:10 AM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < Ridley Wrangler >
Sweden
Originally posted by: psychobear85

It's true, she's acting like a sore loser and she's trying to bust out the women card.

She's getting irrelevant and outdated and she can't handle it

She's 36 years old even by being at her best it's bound to go downhill steadily.

Sep 10 at 10:59:05 AM
Boosted52405 (474)
(Eric Bizzle) < King Solomon >
Iowa
While Serena is mega-talented, I cannot stand her attitude even a little bit. This isn't her first situation like this, very much a drama queen. Why not be humble and a role model - that she is not.

Feel terrible for the winner, 1000% of her spotlight was taken from her. Hopefully it will inspire her to kick more ass, she's got a long future ahead of her.

Sep 10 at 11:02:26 AM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
Both were kind of at fault, but Serena far more for acting like some entitled womanbaby. Sorry you're not entitled to a win because you have boobs or a kid or because you're a minority or any other pity me crap you want to fling at an official. He may have compared to others took it too far, or farther than others may likely have, but she was begging for it with the continued entitled whining act and then having a tantrum and smashing her racket.

If only all officials would throw someone an entire match, game, or tossing an individual from a team for more than a solitary outburst, perhaps more of them would learn to act like normal people instead of self important a-holes that sadly influence people in general to act like like scumbags too parroting their crappy idols in life.

In the end the winner acted very much in a Japanese way despite not growing up there pretty much all her life.  She was humble, even apologized in a way not so much for the win but the situation for others feeling crushed for that hot mess of a woman who lost.

Edited: 09/10/2018 at 11:03 AM by VmprHntrD

Sep 10 at 11:15:19 AM
Boosted52405 (474)
Iowa
Originally posted by: VmprHntrD

Serena far more for acting like some entitled womanbaby.
Ha, I love it!  So true!  I'm gonna have to remember that term lol.

Sep 10 at 11:17:12 AM
jonebone (541)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Serena did lose her cool but I put more of the blame on the ump. He had way too short of a leash for a title game regarding the biggest icon in the sport. Doesn't put her above the law but calling someone a "thief" is hardly an insult considering the wide spectrum of choice words to tell someone off.

People can point the finger of her being a drama queen, but the ump was also a zero tolerance old man with a power ego. He'd be the cop that writes you an automatic ticket for 5 mph over the speed limit when most people will let you go 10-15 over and a warning if you have a good driving record.

When you are competing, you are supposed to be emotionally charged. No one likes losing. It's a referees job to navigate the gray area and flex a little. People wanted to see a tennis match, not a referee's power trip.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: Ittle Dew 2 (Switch)
Now Playing: N/A
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 10 at 12:05:01 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
If you want to see what went down...

It is edited, but shows the highlights.

Sep 10 at 12:38:39 PM
SUBSCRIBER
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
I don't follow tennis so i may be missing something.

But the coach admitted he was coaching. And Serena said she wasn't getting coaching.

Is it one of those offenses that just unspokenly gets ignored so every coach does it? Or is it a legit offense that was rightfully called and usually gets called?

gamevaluenow

Sep 10 at 12:43:08 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: xMaGuSx

Is it one of those offenses that just unspokenly gets ignored so every coach does it? Or is it a legit offense that was rightfully called and usually gets called?
It's supposed to be forbidden during Grand Slam matches (which the US Open is one), but it does happen, and the tournaments have been inconsistent with calling it out.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sp...

Sep 10 at 12:44:36 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Just caught 5 minutes of Rush Limbaugh finding a way to rant about this in the context of how "the elites treat Trump".

It was pretty bizarre.

Sep 10 at 2:19:41 PM
dragonwarrior83 (29)
(Nick R) < Meka Chicken >
Georgia
What the shit is going on here, she is threatening the ref ump guy and telling him he needs to apologize and shit, gtfo here.

Looking for a CIB Dragon Warrior 3.

Sep 10 at 2:39:37 PM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States
It's a work.

Serena cheating is classic heel heat. None of you knew cared or knew who Osaku was and now she is the hottest underdog babyface thanks to Serena. It's about time Serena starts putting over the next generation. Everyone will be watching their next match, Serena will prob DQ herself so she can say she wasn't beaten or hit Osaku with a chair.

Sep 10 at 2:57:44 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
How many of you actually watched the match? You guys are all making Serena out to be this monster. At the end of it all, it was quite obvious she felt terrible that the match ended the way it did because she knew it took away from Osaka's win. I thought she handled herself very well after the match was over and tried to make it about Osaka and not about what had happened. Also, everyone seems to be upset that people were booing, but they were not booing Osaka or about Serena not winning. They were booing the tournament and the official, for the way the situation was handled. They let some shitty rules get in the way of a heated match between two competitors. I believe Osaka would have won regardless which would have made it that much more sweet for her. The only warning that I thought should have been given was the broken racket. Outside of that, it was extremely petty. In the end, both sides, Serena and and umpire, made mistakes. Osaka was not a victim here, she was simply a bystander who won the US Open and the 3.8 Million dollars that go along with it.

gamevaluenow
Get the value of your games at gamevaluenow.com
Owner/Developer

Edited: 09/10/2018 at 03:01 PM by Hogie1418

Sep 10 at 3:03:18 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
The broken racket infraction is automatic, right?

Sep 10 at 3:09:10 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: Tulpa

The broken racket infraction is automatic, right?

It is at the umpires discretion.

gamevaluenow
Owner/Developer

Sep 10 at 3:10:04 PM
Boosted52405 (474)
Iowa
^ Well, rules are rules...she is just a drama queen, happened several times in her career. Personally don't think she's a monster, but should be more of a role model. The "thief" comments and demanding an apology shows her false sense of entitlement. Clearly took away the attention of the win for Osaka, but she did try to save face a bit after the fact by saying "no more booing" blah blah.

She's like the Richard Sherman of Tennis...crazy talented but too much drama to be a fan.

Sep 10 at 3:17:41 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

^ Well, rules are rules...she is just a drama queen, happened several times in her career. Personally don't think she's a monster, but should be more of a role model. The "thief" comments and demanding an apology shows her false sense of entitlement. Clearly took away the attention of the win for Osaka, but she did try to save face a bit after the fact by saying "no more booing" blah blah.

She's like the Richard Sherman of Tennis...crazy talented but too much drama to be a fan.

Ehh.. they are rules that are not enforced consistantly. That is the issue that I have with it. Enforcing these rules in the final of a major is not the time to flex your ump muscles.

Should Serena have dropped it.... yes. Should the ump have had thicker skin.... yes. In my opinion, both could have handled it better.

gamevaluenow
Owner/Developer

Edited: 09/10/2018 at 03:26 PM by Hogie1418

Sep 10 at 5:18:00 PM
Quaze (110)
(Jordan C.) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
What a dick. Just sullies the hell out of someone's lifetime of elite-level work.

My eBay feedback

Sep 10 at 6:30:03 PM
< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: Hogie1418

Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Ehh.. they are rules that are not enforced consistantly. That is the issue that I have with it. Enforcing these rules in the final of a major is not the time to flex your ump muscles.

Should Serena have dropped it.... yes. Should the ump have had thicker skin.... yes. In my opinion, both could have handled it better.
I don't understand your train of thought. Rules... should not be enforced, is that what you're saying?? I think, especially in a major tournament, they SHOULD be enforced. If the rules are not enforced consistantly, and admittedly they are not in tennis, that is a problem with other umpires but not this one.  Regardless, this was NOT the umpire's fault but with the crowd and especially Serena. For a great analysis, read this:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/20...

yup

During the warm-up, not more than five rows up from the court, a young woman—clearly a Serena fan—shouted obscenities in Osaka’s direction then thrust the middle fingers on both hands at her...The fact is, Serena and her team are wholly responsible for what happened on Saturday night. If Patrick Mouratoglou hadn’t given Serena directives from her player box, hadn’t coached her to go to the net—which he admitted he did—then Ramos wouldn’t have charged Williams with illegal mid-match coaching...When she demolished her racquet after the fifth game of the second set—a game in which she surrendered the break of serve she held—Serena had to know there would be consequences. Some 14 men and four other women in the tournament were penalized and fined for the same transgression...But the kiss of death came after Williams’ serve was broken again in the seventh game of the second set. It was then that she went after Ramos, a highly-regarded, well-respected longtime tour umpire.

“How dare you insinuate that I was cheating,” Williams screamed about an incident that had happened more than 20 minutes earlier. “You owe me an apology. For you to attack my character is something wrong. You are a liar.” Williams then said to Ramos, “Don’t speak to me,” and she sat in her chair seething. Ramos looked straight ahead. The whole affair could have ended there had Serena chosen to simply go play. Instead she rose from her chair and opted escalate the situation, shouting at Ramos, “You stole a point from me. You’re a thief too.” It was then that Ramos game her the game penalty...The fact is, though, that Ramos was doing what he was assigned to do. He followed the directives as clearly spelled out in the Grand Slam Rule Book...

Many have suggested that Serena showed great grace and maturity in de-escalating a rambunctious crowd during the trophy ceremony. She also hugged and congratulated Osaka, who played the match of her life and deserved the win. By then, however, Osaka was in tears. She apologized to the crowd for denying Williams her record-tying 24thmajor. She then cried again during her post-match press conference when asked why she apologized.

“I know, like she really wanted to have her 24th Grand Slam, right?” Osaka said while wiping her eyes with her sleeve. “Everyone knows this. It’s on the commercials, it’s everywhere.”

Osaka has nothing to apologize for. She didn’t steal the victory, she earned it. The only thievery that occurred on Saturday night was that Osaka was robbed of her chance to truly celebrate her U.S. Open win.

Edited: 09/10/2018 at 06:30 PM by avatar!