Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Things you were afraid of when you were a kid?

Apr 16 at 2:26:31 PM
SUBSCRIBER
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Hey NA,

So i had a memory come back to me today of how afraid i used to be of the car wash! I know such a stupid thing to be afraid of. But when i was 6ish i can vividly remember being terrified and claustrophobic and i had to close my eyes whenever i went in. The spaghetti cloth that spread the soap was the worst part, between the noise it made on the car and it totally blocking out the windows.....

And then around the same age, i got the playstation for christmas. And not knowing my uncle got me resident evil. I can remember playing it with my older brother and cousin and nearly shitting my pants at the intro scene and then when you encounter the first zombie that slowly turns around while eating the guy. I was afraid of that game for many years after that and gave it to my cousin lol 

So is there anything that scared you when you were a kid? Could be something typical or something odd like the car wash   

-------------------------
gamevaluenow

Apr 16 at 2:27:59 PM
Silverspoon (33)
(Justin Steimer) < King Solomon >
Nebraska

Apr 16 at 2:29:27 PM
barrelsAndRivets (135)
< Bowser >
California
Elevators. Didn't help that I got trapped in one at my local library.

Apr 16 at 2:32:09 PM
Boosted52405 (473)
(Eric Bizzle) < King Solomon >
Iowa
When I was very little, I was scared to put any limbs off the edge of the bed. I thought a monster would grab it, weird.

I also had nightmares at the age of 6 or 7 of Chucky Doll. I lived in a trailer park and had nightmares of him chasing me around - same with Jason Voorhees. Apparently I was traumatized at an early age with horror movies lol.

On the other hand, I LOVED the move Little Monsters.

Apr 16 at 2:32:53 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I remember the side art for Aliens the arcade game being particularly scary as a kid.
As a 7 or 8 year old, I had the xenomorphs hyped up way too much in my mind as nightmare fuel  

That, and the monster that came out of the toilet in Ghoulies...

Apr 16 at 2:34:01 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

When I was very little, I was scared to put any limbs off the edge of the bed. I thought a monster would grab it, weird.

My dad always thought it was funny that I insisted on keeping the closet door OPEN, because then the monsters could grow in my closet  

(I caught the tail end of some closet-monster TV movie on halloween night when I was 5 or 6, I think)

Apr 16 at 2:41:41 PM
Retrostage (35)
(Mike S) < Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Mirrors.

I saw "The Watcher in the Woods" at a pretty young age, and the mirror scene scared the hell out of me. So naturally I was terrified that if I looked into a mirror I'd see that blindfolded girl staring back at me.

Skip to 1:05 to see what I mean:

Brand New NES, SNES, N64 and Sega Genesis boards available! Great for reproductions/homebrew! http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Buy them from my website here: http://www.retrostage.net

Apr 16 at 2:49:36 PM
jonebone (541)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Dark.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: Ittle Dew 2 (Switch)
Now Playing: N/A
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Apr 16 at 2:50:54 PM
Chuppa3 (34)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
Wow I love little monsters.

I was terrified or running up the steps when it was pitch black. Like something was going to grab me and pull me back.

Apr 16 at 2:53:55 PM
SUBSCRIBER
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
I also had nightmares at the age of 6 or 7 of Chucky Doll. I lived in a trailer park and had nightmares of him chasing me around - same with Jason Voorhees. Apparently I was traumatized at an early age with horror movies lol.
Lol o man do i relate with this. I had an uncle who i spent a lot of time because he watched me during the summer with my cousin and he loved horror movies, and for some reason he thought i would like them too at the ripe age of 7. Aliens, nightmare on elm street, hellraiser, friday 13th, texas chainsaw, phantasm, night of the living dead, pretty much anything that would terrify a 7 year old lol. 

Another random thing that scared me was this bastard from Conan. Yes i know, not a scary movie. But i was not expecting the wizard to fucking turn around and look like this. Looking back now it looks ridiculous hehe

gamevaluenow

Edited: 04/16/2018 at 02:56 PM by xMaGuSx

Apr 16 at 3:08:14 PM
Generic (27)
(Eric ) < Kraid Killer >
New Mexico
Grasshoppers. They still terrify me.

Originally posted by: alekx

your a nintendo collector, its not a lady killer hobby... Try selling drugs or settle for an ugly chick.

Apr 16 at 3:13:34 PM
BouncekDeLemos (80)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Aliens, scary movies, and death. The only exception to Aliens and scary movies are E.T. and It. Troll 2 used to scare the crap out of me.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Apr 16 at 3:22:40 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
I was scared of being abducted by aliens as a kid. No idea why. I was just always scared of seeing a bright light in my window and I'd get taken away.

Are You Scared of the Dark? made me scared of looking into fires. I still find myself not looking into the center of a fire because of that episode where fire demons come out if you do. Not scared of it anymore, just a habit at this point.

Night of the Living Dead was a movie that terrified me as a kid. I had seen the original as a kid and was interested by it. Then I remember getting a little older and renting the remake that Savini did in the early 90s. Took me 2 days to make it through that movie.

Apr 16 at 4:06:52 PM
skoreboardtxjmo (4)
(Justin Moore) < Crack Trooper >
Texas
When I was a kid there was a six flags theme park called Astroworld here in Houston. There was a ride called the looping starship. When I was little a friend told me it gets stuck upside down all the time 'wasn't true' but in my mind I thought it was sure death if I ever rode it.

I got 99 problems but 8bits ain't one

Apr 16 at 4:09:16 PM
Brock Landers (53)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I remember the side art for Aliens the arcade game being particularly scary as a kid.
As a 7 or 8 year old, I had the xenomorphs hyped up way too much in my mind as nightmare fuel  

I had a very vivid nightmare about that Ghoulie. So much that I wasnt sure it hadnt actually happened

Also sharks and spiders

Writing about every SNES game - Volume V
SNES Set - 710/723 (Ninja Gaiden Trilogy)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Apr 16 at 4:10:58 PM
Brock Landers (53)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Also the little humanoid from the nightmare in Look Whos Talking too

Writing about every SNES game - Volume V
SNES Set - 710/723 (Ninja Gaiden Trilogy)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Apr 16 at 4:12:50 PM
TDIRunner (15)
(Jon ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Illinois
For the longest time, I was afraid that there was something at the foot of my bed that would get my feet while I slept. For many years, I would sleep sideways on the bed with my feet hanging off the side. I couldn't have been older than 5 or 6.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Apr 16 at 4:16:10 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I had a very vivid nightmare about that Ghoulie. So much that I wasnt sure it hadnt actually happened Also sharks and spiders

Yup.

In-movie, the Ghoulie that chews of the clown's arm is probably more graphic and disturbing.

But "toilet monster" nightmares definitely happened from time to time.

Edited: 04/16/2018 at 04:16 PM by arch_8ngel

Apr 16 at 4:17:37 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: TDIRunner

For the longest time, I was afraid that there was something at the foot of my bed that would get my feet while I slept. For many years, I would sleep sideways on the bed with my feet hanging off the side. I couldn't have been older than 5 or 6.
This is part of what I like about having a gigantic German Shepherd as a pet.

It becomes very easy to convince the kids that monsters can't live in our house because Arya would find them and eat them.

Also, her running patrols at night get the kids accustomed to random noises so they don't imagine them to be anything other than the dog going up and down the stairs.

Edited: 04/16/2018 at 04:18 PM by arch_8ngel

Apr 16 at 4:25:46 PM
rickrollcollector (131)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States

On the other hand, I LOVED the move Little Monsters.

Dude! You and me.

Everything what I was told about Communism was a lie and everything about Capitalism was the truth.

Apr 16 at 4:35:01 PM
SUBSCRIBER
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
The limbs off the edge of the bed is definitely a good one! I think a good chunk of kids were scared of that one.

Another that Loxx just reminded me of, was the movie Fire in the sky. It had an alien abduction/experiment scene that still freaks me out. Overall okay movie, based on a supposably "true" experience lol but the abduction scene was pretty intense especially for a kid.

gamevaluenow

Edited: 04/16/2018 at 05:02 PM by xMaGuSx

Apr 16 at 4:46:32 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
This fucking scene. *shudder*

Apr 16 at 5:06:35 PM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Dogs. People would train dogs to attack black people.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Apr 16 at 6:25:04 PM
ZeldaFan042 (22)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Dakota
Always been terrified of spiders and heights. I used to not even be able to look out of 2nd story windows, it was so terrifying.

Also, when I was about 3 or 4, I saw this episode of Twilight Zone where the world ended, and for the longest time I was afraid the world was just going to end suddenly.

WTB  |  FS
Originally posted by: Stryphos
Originally posted by: Foochie776

What's an Apple Pippin?
Remember in the Fellowship of the Ring when Aragorn threw that piece of fruit and hit him in the head after asking for second breakfast?  Yeah, that's an apple.

Apr 16 at 7:39:07 PM
Otter (73)
(T Otter) < King Solomon >
Washington
Dogs, still am afraid of dogs don't trust them. Horses too don't trust them either. Terrified.