Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Local brick and mortar gets deliveries from thrift stores. This stings :/

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:55:44 AM
skinnygrinny (52)
(a.k.a. the grinder a.k.a. kobra kai! a.k.a. 42 foot tapewoRm) < Bowser >
Florida
So my local thrifts (goodwill, habitat...) are always completely dry. In 3 years I found a gb ds once ($30) and a few common genesis games.

so come to find out the local brick and mortar has dibs and gets the goods delivered. 

It it is what it is. But man... that one hurt. 

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:04:03 AM
Loxx O))) (19)
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
Unfortunately, this type of thing happens often. The closest place to me (about 45 minutes away) I heard a scalper talking about how he had friends at GameStop and was grabbing all their shit to scalp online. REALLY pissed me off. Especially since I've over heard ignorant employees in that store (Not GameStop) telling paying customers lies about things they try to purchase.

The market for this stuff generally sucks from what I've seen and heard. And it's why I mainly rely on places like NA. It sucks to find out the local market is ruined... but at least there is a place we can go online where people look out for us and we've got some form of comradery.

Dec 7, 2017 at 5:35:17 AM
kamakaze_ekun (5)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Goodwill sells video games? Blasphemy...

SEEKING COPIES OF THE FOLLOWING TITLES
Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC) | Luigi's Mansion (GC) | Secret of Mana (Snes) | Kirby Superstar (Snes)

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:47:04 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Guess they got sick of filling bins when goodwill opens.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:50:21 AM
PowerPlayers (84)
(The User Formerly Known As Joseph Leo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Makes perfect sense if you ask me. Willing to bet the local pawn shops or webuygold has dibs on any silverware and jewelry that comes in.

Sucks for the common buyer, but is just a plain old smart business move.

Why take up precious shelf space when you can unload in bulk to a single buyer.

What happened to my book? Click Here

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:30:36 AM
TDIRunner (14)
(Jon ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Illinois
Goodwill is a for-profit business and they will make decisions that will maximize their profit.

Even if they were not-for-profit, it would still be in their best interest to maximize profit.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:41:28 AM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph, not Joe!) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: TDIRunner

Goodwill is a for-profit business and they will make decisions that will maximize their profit.

Even if they were not-for-profit, it would still be in their best interest to maximize profit.

Pretty much this. I'm really not surprised. 

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:01:40 AM
SUBSCRIBER
BigHero1006 (25)
< Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Not surprised. I see some disk sports titles and an occasional game system but they are generally higher priced than the local retro stores. A goodwill close to me had an Atari 2600, 2 controllers and 10 games (Pitfall, Combat, Breakout etc.) priced as a bundle for $140.00. I posted online mostly for a laugh but it was sold the same day. I am assuming a retro store owner wouldn't purchase at that price or maybe Atari systems have increased in value  

It’s a Nintendo Entertainment System….If I wanted to play Sega I’d call your sister!

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:06:44 AM
TDIRunner (14)
(Jon ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Illinois
Originally posted by: BigHero1006

Not surprised. I see some disk sports titles and an occasional game system but they are generally higher priced than the local retro stores. A goodwill close to me had an Atari 2600, 2 controllers and 10 games (Pitfall, Combat, Breakout etc.) priced as a bundle for $140.00. I posted online mostly for a laugh but it was sold the same day. I am assuming a retro store owner wouldn't purchase at that price or maybe Atari systems have increased in value  

Sounds like an impulse buy to me.  Someone who isn't part of the retro game community and probably hasn't played video games in years saw it and remembered playing those games and a child and bought it on impulse.  He probably played each game for about 5 minutes each and it will sit there until he sells it off in a yard sale next summer.  

Edit:  And when he sells it, he will list it for $250 because he saw an artilce on Facebook that said old video games are worth a ton of money. 

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Edited: 12/07/2017 at 11:07 AM by TDIRunner

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:08:54 AM
SUBSCRIBER
BigHero1006 (25)
< Meka Chicken >
Nebraska

Sounds like an impulse buy to me.  Someone who isn't part of the retro game community and probably hasn't played video games in years saw it and remembered playing those games and a child and bought it on impulse.  He probably played each game for about 5 minutes each and it will sit there until he sells it off in a yard sale next summer.  

Edit:  And when he sells it, he will list it for $250 because he saw an artilce on Facebook that said old video games are worth a ton of money. 

Oh hell, I forgot.  Retro games are like gold.

It’s a Nintendo Entertainment System….If I wanted to play Sega I’d call your sister!

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:37:18 AM
captmorgandrinker (556)
(Vas ) < Bonk >
Ohio

Also depends on what the other 7 games were, or maybe the 2600 was a heavy sixer.

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:38:35 AM
BazookaJoe (4)
(Joe ) < Meka Chicken >
Arizona

Oh hell, I forgot.  Retro games are like gold.

Those damn facebook articles drive me nuts! I've seen some of them claiming that a DMG could be worth upwards of $1,000.....Realy?! 

My Wants! | Add me on Switch: SW-3356-2808-2889
 ‚Äč

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:50:33 PM
skinnygrinny (52)
Florida
Originally posted by: Nightowljrm

Ya, I wasn’t surprised at all. Good move by the store. 

Just saying it “stings”. 

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:08:45 PM
captmorgandrinker (556)
(Vas ) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Just saying it “stings”. 

With agreements like that you usually gotta take it all, no cherry picking.

So as long as the majority of it is movable stuff at a good price, then it's a great move.   But if they start wanting 2 bucks a game for caseless PS2 games that look like somebody played street hockey with them...

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:11:28 PM
jacob... (17)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
most nonprofits are similar. redcross is one of the exceptions. but most non profits are just funneling all the profit into the ceos pockets. im sure soon enough someone will make a good doc on goodwill and they will shut down. they do no good for the community. they take free donations and instead of putting the items back into the community they were intended to help, they sell them online for full retail. they hire mentally challenged or other disabled people as store level employees to avoid having to pay salaries. the govt has channnels in place to incentivize employers to hire them. and goodwill also utilizes parolees as free labor that count for the felons hours of community service. and the top guys in the company have reported salaries as high as 3/4 of a million per year.

but informing the housewifes, househusbands, grannies and grandpas that keep donating to them is the obstacle.  even if they ever do get exposed publicly and shut down, a new company will pop up and exploit the same channels. idk if you cant beat them join them i guess.

"its not all about dat 'tendo   "

link to my wanted
link to my for trade

Edited: 12/07/2017 at 02:13 PM by jacob...

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:34:04 PM
Lincoln (137)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: jacob...

most nonprofits are similar. redcross is one of the exceptions. but most non profits are just funneling all the profit into the ceos pockets. im sure soon enough someone will make a good doc on goodwill and they will shut down. they do no good for the community. they take free donations and instead of putting the items back into the community they were intended to help, they sell them online for full retail. they hire mentally challenged or other disabled people as store level employees to avoid having to pay salaries. the govt has channnels in place to incentivize employers to hire them. and goodwill also utilizes parolees as free labor that count for the felons hours of community service. and the top guys in the company have reported salaries as high as 3/4 of a million per year.

but informing the housewifes, househusbands, grannies and grandpas that keep donating to them is the obstacle.  even if they ever do get exposed publicly and shut down, a new company will pop up and exploit the same channels. idk if you cant beat them join them i guess.

this is mostly bullshit, or out of context at best.

goodwill's objective is job training and placement for disadvantaged people. the storefront is how they fund that.

when they get an exemption to pay someone less than minimum wage, it's because that person is disabled to the point of being unable to do the job to a reasonable standard. they aren't putting those people in a position where anything in the business depends on them. it's basically make work/babysitting. 

goodwill is a national org. 3 or 4 million for an executive at that level is a bargain compared to a regular for-profit business. 

i have my problems with them but none of the above is reason to take issue.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:56:42 PM
skinnygrinny (52)
Florida
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Just saying it “stings”. 

So as long as the majority of it is movable stuff at a good price, then it's a great move.   But if they start wanting 2 bucks a game for caseless PS2 games that look like somebody played street hockey with them...

Ya. Good point. “Here’s 25 genesis maddens”

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:01:21 PM
jacob... (17)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: Lincoln

goodwill's objective is job training and placement for disadvantaged people. the storefront is how they fund that.

when they get an exemption to pay someone less than minimum wage, it's because that person is disabled to the point of being unable to do the job to a reasonable standard. they aren't putting those people in a position where anything in the business depends on them. it's basically make work/babysitting. 

goodwill is a national org. 3 or 4 million for an executive at that level is a bargain compared to a regular for-profit business. 

nah they are pretty sound points.

they stuff mentally chanlleged or physically disabled free labor into donation centers. use old ladies with bad backs in the storefronts. have felons sorting items in the back out of the public eye. and only have a handful of managers per store that take home an actual salary... and yet salaries account for 30 percent of their deductions. see link.

https://pp-990.s3.amazonaws.com/2...

i knew a kid who had a disability that cuased siezures he went to the unemployment office and they sent him goodwills way. good will stuffed him in a donation booth and the govt payed his salary. im sure there are exceptions to this rule but just talk to the employees at your local good will when you get a chance. its not a good company. but we cant be mad at them they just found very clever ways and loopholes to make money. hopefully they are doing as their mission statement claims. but i havent seen it personally. maybe my loacal area is just more sinister.

"its not all about dat 'tendo   "

link to my wanted
link to my for trade

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:35:25 PM
Nes Gangsta (84)
< Meka Chicken >
New York

I agree, but not just handicapped/disadvantaged people. They also will hire people on probabation or work release programs. A lof of employers will shy away from these types of hires but Goodwill would hire them.

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:47:48 PM
Megamanfan (173)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
A few months ago my goodwill accidentally put out a copy of Mario Party 3 for $2.99. After I bought it I heard the employees talking and they where upset they made a mistake like that.

When the going gets tough the tough get gaming
Click Link below for my for sale thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Edited: 12/07/2017 at 03:48 PM by Megamanfan

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:59:48 PM
Brock Landers (51)
< Wiz's Mom >
Montana
Originally posted by: Megamanfan

A few months ago my goodwill accidentally put out a copy of Mario Party 3 for $2.99. After I bought it I heard the employees talking and they where upset they made a mistake like that.

Why?  What difference would it make to a peon how much money GW got out of it?

Writing about every SNES game - Volume IV
SNES Set - 704/723 (Aero 2)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:03:29 PM
captmorgandrinker (556)
(Vas ) < Bonk >
Ohio

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Just saying it “stings”. 

Ya. Good point. “Here’s 25 genesis maddens”

How many times can we make the ambulance appear?

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:15:48 PM
SUBSCRIBER
BigHero1006 (25)
< Meka Chicken >
Nebraska

My understand of Goodwill is they have state / regional CEO's and a national CEO (President).  I think the public backlash comes from the large number of CEO's who have large bonus structures.  I understand Goodwill is a retail business and the not-for-profit side is a good community partner but should the excess funds from the for-profit move to the not-for-profit versus CEO bonus.  On the other hand if the retail side is over performing should the CEO be rewarded for said performance like any retail company?  
I will admit I like the tax deduction you can claim from dropping off clothing items.

Edited: 12/07/2017 at 04:17 PM by BigHero1006

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:39:33 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
It's not a good business move when it pisses off paying customers.

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:52:52 PM
rickrollcollector (131)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I hate Goodwill, all those games they price matched and nothing left for me to resell, how am I suppose to feed the family? Who will think of me?

Everything what I was told about Communism was a lie and everything about Capitalism was the truth.