Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Some people just don't take rejection well..... like my grandchildren

Sep 13 at 3:17:48 PM
Natty Bumppo (1)
< Meka Chicken >
Colorado
I now remember why I don't usually answer the phone anymore.  i was expecting  a call from our roofing contractor since the shingles got delivered yesterday and I wanted to find out when they planned to begin so I answered the phone (contrary to my inclinations).

The male voice said it was my oldest grandson.  (We don't have any children let alone grandchildren.) I pretended I could not hear him (setting up for the punchline) and kept asking him to speak louder.  Finally I said - "is this my grandson Fred?".   Then he said (real loudly) "This is your grandson Fred"  (sharp one he was - pretty amazing feat of cold reading there). 

At that point I said - "well Fred, guess what - I don't have any grandchildren".  At which point he responded with a really clever "F**k you ".  I responded in a similar (although a more  creative (IMHO) manner) involving the use of a crowbar.  At which point my erstwhile relative hung up.    

People gonna screw with me I figure I may as well have some fun.   ^___^

-------------------------

"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

Edited: 09/13/2017 at 11:28 PM by Natty Bumppo

Sep 13 at 5:09:44 PM
Quaze (92)
(Jordan C.) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Whenever I get someone calling me for some sort of (usually African-based) phone scam, I fuck with the caller and lead them on for as long as possible. "My computer will crash without your services? Shit, hang on, let me get my credit card, it has loads of room on it....damn, it's not in my wallet. Just wait, I have to go check my basement" *comes back 25 minutes later with a mouthful of lunch* "Hello? Yeah hey, I just remembered I left it in the car, hang on...." *goes to the movies* *comes back* "Hello? Yeah hey, wasn't there either...."

My eBay feedback

Sep 13 at 5:32:02 PM
SUBSCRIBER
BigHero1006 (14)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Nebraska
LOL. Awesome. Those criminals are truly low down.

It’s a Nintendo Entertainment System….If I wanted to play Sega I’d call your sister!

Edited: 09/13/2017 at 05:32 PM by BigHero1006

Sep 13 at 7:12:04 PM
SUBSCRIBER
TheToxieRules (69)
(Cyrus ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
"I don't have a Grandson" ahahahahahahahahaha

Safety "always" off.

Sep 13 at 7:31:08 PM
Bert (52)
(I like cardboard) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Quaze

Whenever I get someone calling me for some sort of (usually African-based) phone scam, I fuck with the caller and lead them on for as long as possible. "My computer will crash without your services? Shit, hang on, let me get my credit card, it has loads of room on it....damn, it's not in my wallet. Just wait, I have to go check my basement" *comes back 25 minutes later with a mouthful of lunch* "Hello? Yeah hey, I just remembered I left it in the car, hang on...." *goes to the movies* *comes back* "Hello? Yeah hey, wasn't there either...."

Hahaha yeah I do that too. 

Sep 13 at 11:16:23 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Tennessee
Nice! I don't really answer unknown calls anymore. But if they get me on the line and try to sell me anything or waste my time, I play along. I act very serious and drag the call on as long as possible until I basically say a nasty remark and they hang up on me. It's a waste of my time indeed, but it's also pisses them off because they are on leads and commission and just worked for free.

Sep 13 at 11:24:45 PM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: Natty Bumppo

The male voice said it was my oldest grandson.  (We don't have any children let alone grandchildren.) I pretended I could not hear him (setting up for the punchline) and kept asking him to speak louder.  Finally I said - "is this my grandson Fred?".   Then he said (real loudly) "This is your grandson Fred"  (sharp one he was - pretty amazing feat of cold reading there). 

A similar scam almost worked with my grandparents for a similar reason. My grandma gave them my name in the same way you did, but she didn't know it wasn't me at first. The guy fabricated a story about traveling out of the country and wrecking his rental after having a couple beers. Sadly for them, I've never been out of the country and I don't drink, so my grandma just hung up on them.

Edited: 09/13/2017 at 11:25 PM by Philosoraptor

Sep 13 at 11:44:07 PM
Nirvana (1)
(Kori Winstead) < King Solomon >
Louisiana
LOL RIP

Sep 14 at 12:30:09 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (10)
(Matt ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
I love getting phone scams that are just halarious like that one. It seems that I've been getting them more than I used to, which is rather annoying so generally I do not answer. It seems that I've been getting some close to home as of recent, so I answer those. But its always fun to mess with them when they have no clue what they are talking about.

What I've been printing: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 09/14/2017 at 12:31 AM by SNESNESCUBE64

Sep 14 at 1:44:56 AM
bootload (6)

< Eggplant Wizard >
I always tell them my entire paycheck gets wasted on hookers and blow. They don't call me twice.

Sep 14 at 3:53:47 AM
Vectrex28 (119)
(Samus Aran) < Bowser >
Switzerland
REKT!
I don't seem to get these calls yet. Maybe it's because I only have a mobile phone. My relatives that have an old fashioned phone do.
I do get funny Nigerian Prince emails sometimes though. I'm tempted to reply to them just to mess with them but I always end up deleting the emails.
If someone claimed they were from my family though I would just talk in Czech with them as all my family lives in the Czech Republic (well except my part which lives in Switzerland  ).
I highly doubt Nigerians speak that language  

Edited: 09/14/2017 at 03:57 AM by Vectrex28

Sep 14 at 6:45:40 AM
dragonwarrior83 (11)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Or the door to door baptists, they always ask if I know about Jesus and how he died for our sins. I tell them I worship RA, the sun god, the giver of all life. Also one day some Jehovah witness folks came to the door when I was 13 and asked if I knew where God was, I yelled to my dad, hey there is some nice folks at the door looking for you. Needless to say I never saw any of those folks again. I've been getting some of those scam calls on my cell phone they usually claim to be for student loans, I ask them what are the last four digits of my social security number, what's that you don't know, we'll then...

Sep 14 at 7:22:49 AM
Natty Bumppo (1)
< Meka Chicken >
Colorado
Originally posted by: dragonwarrior83

Or the door to door baptists, they always ask if I know about Jesus and how he died for our sins. I tell them I worship RA, the sun god, the giver of all life. Also one day some Jehovah witness folks came to the door when I was 13 and asked if I knew where God was, I yelled to my dad, hey there is some nice folks at the door looking for you.
When I was in college and lived in area that was particularly hit by these types I would keep a small batch of each of their literature by the door and when one group showed up I would hand themn the literature from one of the others - they would just thank me (although it was obvious they didn't like it) and leave.  Far simpler than arguing with them and very satisfying on some level.

"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

Sep 14 at 7:41:59 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Sign Collector Guy (1)
(Benjamin ) < Meka Chicken >
Iowa
Prank Calling is Americas Pastime. Well it was mine anyhow.

Anyone recall these guys?

Edited: 09/14/2017 at 07:42 AM by Sign Collector Guy

Sep 14 at 3:55:12 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Sign Collector Guy

Prank Calling is Americas Pastime. Well it was mine anyhow.

Anyone recall these guys?

I do, but mostly because their movie had Ozzy in it as a manager for the band Helmet. And Helmet then did a "Symptom of the Universe" cover on the soundtrack. 

Sep 14 at 5:07:41 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
I always enjoy when Comedy Central throws an episode of Crank Yankers on the free section of their app, makes me feel young again. When we were like 18 my friends and I used to call up telemarkets and "As seen on TV!" numbers and intentionally drag the calls out for assloads of time with absolutely no intent on buying anything, we'd see how far we could get them off subject, to talk about their own personal lives, etc etc. It was so much fun driving those people crazy.

Sep 14 at 5:10:44 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
I also remember when I was 17-18, around 2005ish, somebody kept prank phone calling me using the Michael Jackson Soundboard on ebaumsworld.com, i KNOW it was somebody I knew but never ended up finding out, nobody ever confessed! I really enjoyed getting those prank calls though because I knew exactly where the sound clips were taken from, so it was almost like I had the upper hand from the get-go.

Sep 14 at 5:27:31 PM
gunpei (6)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
I got a robocall the other day telling me that the IRS will arrest me if I don't blah blah blah. So I called back and gave my phone number. The guy starts asking my name and address. I told him he should have that all cross-referenced to my phone number, since the recording that called me said I am committing fraud and hiding it from the government. He hung up.

I called back and got the same guy. I tried to start the whole routine again and he told me "fuck you asshole" and hung up and blocked my number.

Sep 14 at 6:14:02 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
Yeah it's scams galore right now. I keep getting a message in a heavy hispanic accent for my girlfriend claiming she has a case number open for a stolen property claim linked to one of her aunts that she hasn't seen in nearly a decade. The message is always the same and is clearly off a script, but he's reading it fresh each time. You're best off basically never picking up or calling back a number you don't recognize.

I just placed a order for chinese food a minute ago, and when I hung up immediately got a call, I accidently hit pick up and it was a robo voice from the Department of Education and I hung up on it.

Sep 14 at 7:04:02 PM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
I read the title and my first thought was: "but.... Bear doesn't have any kids."

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Sep 14 at 7:09:06 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: gunpei

I got a robocall the other day telling me that the IRS will arrest me if I don't blah blah blah. So I called back and gave my phone number. The guy starts asking my name and address. I told him he should have that all cross-referenced to my phone number, since the recording that called me said I am committing fraud and hiding it from the government. He hung up.

I called back and got the same guy. I tried to start the whole routine again and he told me "fuck you asshole" and hung up and blocked my number.
There's YT vids where people will call them up and pretend to go through the scam (usually the "IRS" dudes want prepaid ITunes and other gift cards and will try to get the mark to give up the code.) When the scammer finds the codes invalid, they go into a cussfest.

Sep 14 at 9:30:37 PM
gunpei (6)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Tulpa
  There's YT vids where people will call them up and pretend to go through the scam (usually the "IRS" dudes want prepaid ITunes and other gift cards and will try to get the mark to give up the code.) When the scammer finds the codes invalid, they go into a cussfest.

Ha.
What do they do with itunes codes? Scammers never heard of torrents?

Sep 14 at 9:55:03 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: gunpei

Ha.
What do they do with itunes codes? Scammers never heard of torrents?

I think there's a way to redeem them for cash, but I'm not sure. Or they just sell them. It's usually run out of a boiler room in India or someplace like that.

One dude pretended to walk all the way to a 7-Eleven (with the scammer on the line the whole time listening), and pretending to buy them from a clerk (he never left his apartment, he just mimed doing it.) The best line he said to the "clerk" was "Yes, all in Itunes cards. The IRS likes Itunes apparently."

Edited: 09/14/2017 at 10:00 PM by Tulpa

Sep 15 at 12:11:16 AM
Natty Bumppo (1)
< Meka Chicken >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Daria

I read the title and my first thought was: "but.... Bear doesn't have any kids."

^______^

Sep 15 at 12:49:09 AM
gunpei (6)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois

I think there's a way to redeem them for cash, but I'm not sure. Or they just sell them. It's usually run out of a boiler room in India or someplace like that.
Must be the former. Discount iTunes codes can't possibly be sold online anywhere legit enough that torrents wouldn't be the way to go.

One dude pretended to walk all the way to a 7-Eleven (with the scammer on the line the whole time listening), and pretending to buy them from a clerk (he never left his apartment, he just mimed doing it.) The best line he said to the "clerk" was "Yes, all in Itunes cards. The IRS likes Itunes apparently."

LOL! This makes me wish I had the patience for youtubers/podcasts

Edited: 09/15/2017 at 12:49 AM by gunpei