Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anyone here like reference books such as encyclopedias (and their yearbooks), coffee table books, and such? Yes, I use google/wiki just like everyone else but I like having the best of both worlds!

Jul 17 at 2:25:27 PM
Estil (9)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky

Just for fun, I posted the above Teens React video...it just so happens they used a 2005 World Book, the year me and my wife Denise got married!    And isn't it cute how at 1:03 in the video, Jeordy thinks she's Wilson from Home Improvement? ^^  BTW it would've been a lot easier to use the encyclopedia if they were aligned on a shelf instead of just in piles!  

But back to our regularly scheduled program, I was born in 1980, so I was among the last generations to know of the pre-Internet era, and of course before Google/Wiki/Internet and such, your handy encyclopedia (if you were lucky enough to have your own not-too-outdated set...they easily went for over $1000 new...then and now) was your go-to source to get the gist of whatever subject you were interested in.  Of course for a good research paper you have to use other sources that go into more detail but the encyclopedia article was at least a start.  Sadly I did not have my own set of encyclopedias growing up and I must say I bet I could've really benefited from it.

So why bother having these now in this modern day and age of google/wiki and so on?  Well I always found them to be interesting and fun to look through.  Of course you can't possibly have but a few so I chose these for my personal collection:

* 1976 World Book Bicentennial set (white covers and red/white/blue flags and spines and such)
* 1992 World Book 75th Anniversary set (navy blue/gold covers)
* Annuals of America (from Brittanica), which has all the major speeches and such from the times of America's history...you'd be surprised how often you find these in TV shows, like Home Improvement believe it or not.
* 1989 Brittanica

But my favorite set of all is the World Book Yearbooks, which I have all of them from 1961-2013 (I'm going by the years they cover inside, the year on the cover is the next year; the year it was published).  I also have 1934-1960 except 1941, 1950, 1951, 1952 (at that time World Book did smaller paperback "annual supplments"). I've so far read through the 60s and 70s and now I can finally do the fun part...reading the ones starting from the year I was born, 1980!  What I like about these is that they can give you an idea of the issues and events and such that were important for that year back when that year was still fresh on their minds/memories you see.  And the best part was even with shipping I was able to get them for just $3.30 each!  Not bad considering the new yearbooks go for about 10x that!

And that I suppose is the main reason why on Ebay people can't even give these encyclopedias and such away...the shipping (it can easily be at least $60-$70).  Not to mention unless you got some sort of nostgagic memories of reading through them, you're even less likely to want them besides.

I also have always enjoyed those giant coffee table books too...here's a few I have:

Topps Baseball Cards (1951-1990) & Topps Football Cards (1956-86)...I got to see the baseball one in my middle school library, so I'm especially pleased I was able to get my own copy several years back.  I also have "Classic Baseball Cards" which covers pre-1956 and especially pre-WWII

Peanuts 60th, 50th, and 40th anniversary coffee table books

Ken Burns' Civil War & Baseball documentaries (both the books and DVD sets)

I often tell my wife the reason I like to read the above things is so I can maybe become as smart as she is (she has 2x master's degrees and 150+ IQ).    Not sure if I can really do that but that doesn't mean I can't try!  

I guess so much for the stereotype of gamers only "rot their brains" on games, eh?  

-------------------------
My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Edited: 07/17/2017 at 02:34 PM by Estil

Jul 17 at 3:00:16 PM
BouncekDeLemos (79)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Nice to have my generation to drill how to use an encyclopedia into my skull, only to have it not be important for me to use in the future.

However, this doesn't make me appreciate them less, I do like having tangible knowledge right at my fingertips without the worry of internet troubles or power outages. Plus books make you look cool. Like some historian or something. hahaha

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jul 17 at 3:04:32 PM
Loxx O))) (11)
(Fat Man Kraid) < King Solomon >
Washington
I did read them a lot when I was younger. And I had an encyclopedia disc for my computer that I would play with often. Now all that information is at my finger tips online. Can't say I browse through them anymore. Wikipedia is kind of fun to read through articles for periods of time, though.

Jul 17 at 3:47:41 PM
Estil (9)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

Nice to have my generation to drill how to use an encyclopedia into my skull, only to have it not be important for me to use in the future.

However, this doesn't make me appreciate them less, I do like having tangible knowledge right at my fingertips without the worry of internet troubles or power outages. Plus books make you look cool. Like some historian or something. hahaha
Well I do hold a BA in history and a BA in political science    But yea I've had more than one visitor here (usually my wife's nurses and such) remark that my room looks like a library! ^^  Though most of the wall behind me is binders of baseball/basketball/football card sets, yes runs of consective years, such as my 1975-2014 Topps baseball sets for example.  I also forgot to mention that I also have the media guides for UK basketball from 1974-2010 (except 1982; it never wants to show up on Ebay   ) and the Cats Pauses (annual UK b-ball yearbook) from 1985-2015...hee hee you guys notice a trend here on how I do my hobbies?  

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Jul 17 at 3:49:52 PM
Bert (53)
(The Nert) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Being a Graphic designer, I definitely appreciate printed materials. Once I have all the games I want, I'll be going after more books related to the hobby as well.

Jul 17 at 4:24:55 PM
BouncekDeLemos (79)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Estil

Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

Well I do hold a BA in history and a BA in political science    But yea I've had more than one visitor here (usually my wife's nurses and such) remark that my room looks like a library! ^^  Though most of the wall behind me is binders of baseball/basketball/football card sets, yes runs of consective years, such as my 1975-2014 Topps baseball sets for example.  I also forgot to mention that I also have the media guides for UK basketball from 1974-2010 (except 1982; it never wants to show up on Ebay   ) and the Cats Pauses (annual UK b-ball yearbook) from 1985-2015...hee hee you guys notice a trend here on how I do my hobbies?  

Then you're definitely cool in my eyes.  

Actually, the idea of owning a game room is cool, but a personal library (even if it's full of cards) sounds just as awesome. hahaha 

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jul 17 at 4:34:34 PM
Estil (9)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
I have trading card sets, books (reference, old Beckett baseball/football monthlies, Peanuts), classic games, my consoles (7) and two monitors (HDTV 32" and Emerson SDTV/CRT 20' ...and a small "hand-me-down" couch that when we moved here my wife decided it would take up too much space in our living room (she tried to sell it but no buyers and there was no sense in letting it go to waste you see).

I guess I should take some pics of my room/den/man cave...with kitty modeling for me of course  

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Edited: 07/17/2017 at 04:35 PM by Estil

Jul 17 at 4:36:19 PM
Bert (53)
(The Nert) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Pics! Yes.

Jul 19 at 4:00:41 AM
Estil (9)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
I forgot to mention that while Brittanica retired their traditional book encyclopedia in 2010...World Book still does theirs. I am curious as to what Trump's President article looks like (World Book traditionally did really nice fancy articles on all the Presidents with a time line of the previous and next two along with a page of all the stuff in US history that happened during that POTUS' administration). And they made nice US state and country articles too.

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Jul 19 at 4:01:55 AM
SUBSCRIBER
NostalgicMachine (8)

< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Short answer: YES.

Jul 19 at 9:07:48 AM
SUBSCRIBER
zi (71)
(T Rags) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Yes

8 Bit Music For The 21st Century

Jul 19 at 10:10:34 AM
Natty Bumppo (1)
< El Ripper >
Colorado
When I was in high school and college this was a go to book for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Li...

(Obviously I was using earlier editions. ^___^)

"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

Jul 19 at 8:23:25 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Ah yes... using books to learn information. What a concept.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Jul 19 at 10:33:41 PM
Estil (9)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: AirVillain

Ah yes... using books to learn information. What a concept.
Trust me, books just like games on actually cartridges/discs will never completely go away.  Ever.

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Jul 20 at 12:55:35 AM
buttheadrulesagain (19)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
I bought an Encyclopedia Britannica before it got discontinued... I love it. My problem with internet based knowledge is that it can be lost in a second: look at what happened with photobucket. Suddenly tons of threads stored in forums are rendered useless (tutorials, guides, etc.)

Jul 20 at 1:22:40 AM
Estil (9)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
That's why you save backups on your computer and such silly! What year is your Britannicas?

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Jul 20 at 1:28:44 AM
dukeofhurl99 (1)

< Kraid Killer >
Texas
Way back I joined the QPB club (Quality Paperback Book Club). Basically like Columbia or BMG but I didn't stick with it for very long. I got some cool stuff like the Dead Sea Scrolls. I would like to have and encyclopedia set at some time. They are very interesting to flip through outdated as they may be. One coffee table book I wanted to buy in the '90s but never bought was the one of Cleopatra's treasures. I remember it being one of those huge books. Maybe something like 16X20. Lots of color pictures.

Jul 20 at 10:29:11 AM
ZBomber (5)
< Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
I remember having to use an encyclopedia (as a requirement) only once in the 4th or 5th grade. My family did have a set though, probably from the 80s or early 90s. I was born in 1990 so I was definitely toward the end of the pre-widely available internet era. It always seemed pointless since there was very little information about a given topic and you had to go to a library to find other sources anyway.

Pretty unpopular opinion, but I honestly never was a big fan of books. I found I liked reading a lot more when I finally got a kindle a few years back. I buy a couple of reference books for things I like (Star Wars, Zelda), but they're really more eye candy/collectibles than an actual resource I consult. For me, books are very uncomfortable to read. Also I never got the whole "book smell" thing that people go crazy over.

Jul 20 at 12:36:45 PM
SnowSauce (5)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Minnesota
We were still using them in Middle School, '07-'08 if I'm correct. The internet as a total replacement didn't happen until I was in high school, I'd say. Even still, I have projects that have to be completed using old school materials as a requirement, although they are few and far in between.

I'm a big coffee table book guy. Once I redo my living room, I plan to get a few (along with an accompanying coffee table). I prefer picture-heavy books of different places, or nature. I'd love to have one of the California coast.

NintendoAge's Resident Tony Hawk Pro Skater Collector 

Jul 20 at 1:31:28 PM
fcgamer (87)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
I like reference books, though since my move to Taiwan, I own a small selection (too hard to move around a game collection and books, when switching apartments). I actually collect translation dictionaries. I have an interest in etymology, and love to be able to reference words in different languages. For example (I checked this out, on behalf of my brother): the word balloon in English is of course taken from Romance language origins, probably Italian IIRC, and even in German, it uses a Romance-based word. But digging into Icelandic vocabulary, the word for balloon is the same as the word for bladder. If you think about the bladder, and a balloon, you can draw comparative similarities. Quite fascinating. Much more fun to use real reference books to see this stuff than just surfing online.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus
Progress:  300 titles examined out of approximately 2000.

My blog: www.fcgamer.wordpress.com

Sale / Trade Thread (on Famicom World):  http://www.famicomworld.com/forum...

^^^Tons of unlicensed Famicom / Game Boy games, Hu cards, etc for sale.  If something is of interest, you can send me a message here about it, no need to register somewhere else :)  Purchases of $50 or more, receive 10% discount.

Jul 20 at 2:21:33 PM
buttheadrulesagain (19)
Mexico
Originally posted by: Estil

That's why you save backups on your computer and such silly! What year is your Britannicas?

Hah yeah, but you can not save everything (or rely on the picture owners to fix all those threads), with books you are sure that there are always some floating around or in important libraries. My Britannica is 2007 with 2008, 2009 and 2010 yearbooks. I also got the Great Books of the Western World, 60 volumes (volumes are not as big as the Britannica's, it takes around the same space in total).

Edited: 07/20/2017 at 02:28 PM by buttheadrulesagain

Jul 20 at 2:25:36 PM
buttheadrulesagain (19)
Mexico
Originally posted by: ZBomber

Pretty unpopular opinion, but I honestly never was a big fan of books. I found I liked reading a lot more when I finally got a kindle a few years back. I buy a couple of reference books for things I like (Star Wars, Zelda), but they're really more eye candy/collectibles than an actual resource I consult. For me, books are very uncomfortable to read. Also I never got the whole "book smell" thing that people go crazy over.

There are two things where books are definitely better right now: Art books have better illustrations, and commercial digital books are subject to DRM. I remember when Amazon erased certain book title from kindles, with physical books that is not a problem. Oh, also kindles are a bit more cumbersome to navigate quickly like with a real book.

I agree that digital books are more convenient space-wise.

Jul 21 at 1:54:28 PM
gutsman004 (122)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I don't do encyclopedias,yearbooks,etc but I love me some art books from Udon!

My wacky WTB NES CIB thread. http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 21 at 3:55:43 PM
Estil (9)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I don't do encyclopedias,yearbooks,etc but I love me some art books from Udon!
Oh?  Do tell us more.  After all in the pre-Internet days those giant coffee table books of high quality full color art repros were they only way to do them justice outside of going to see them yourself, right?

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Jul 21 at 4:20:08 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
Encyclopedias look nice on a wall, but they go out of date too quickly, and I'd want to have the latest one if I want a reference.

Art books, though, are nice. I have an Astronomy one, an aircraft one, and an Art of Star Trek one. No idea where I got them, I have had them for well over ten years.