Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I hope the retro market tanks!!!

LOCKED TOPIC

May 25 at 2:14:42 PM
Plumber_of_8bits (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Little Mac >
I feel the eventualy retro bubble will burst very soon and it will cause prices to plumenet and in all honesty I wont and wouldnt mind. People have the right to do what they please with there own money but when so called collectors are spending hundred's if not thousands on so called key rare titles it makes my mind boggle a little. What's going to happen to that so called _insert _title_ you spent $500 on is only worth a fraction of what you had spent on it. Always remeber something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay!!!

May 25 at 2:16:11 PM
jonebone (528)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
The problem is that tons of people like you would love to pick up that $500 game for $10. For a real crash to happen it would mean everyone would have to walk away at the same time with absolutely zero interest of ever buying anything ever again.

Instead we get a lot of people complaining about the prices who would love to buy back in cheap. When that happens, the crash isn't going to happen.

-------------------------
WTB Sealed & CIB Mint Games!
NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16

Now Playing: Mario Rabbids Kingdom (Switch)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

May 25 at 2:22:57 PM
Plumber_of_8bits (0)
< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: jonebone

The problem is that tons of people like you would love to pick up that $500 game for $10. For a real crash to happen it would mean everyone would have to walk away at the same time with absolutely zero interest of ever buying anything ever again.

Instead we get a lot of people complaining about the prices who would love to buy back in cheap. When that happens, the crash isn't going to happen.
Who wouldnt want a $500 game for $10   I think too many collectors think of their games as an investment which is sorely wrong and should look elsewhere. Let's not forget that too many resellers want top dollar but end up sitting on their inventory for ages. I think sooner or later the bubble will burst and people will move on to the newer generation of game collecting or not care as much anymore and have other more imporatant priotires in life ie urchase that Bubble Bobble 2 or pay the rent.

May 25 at 2:23:23 PM
final fight cd (54)
(serious mustache ) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
The people who want the market to crash are probably the same people who will get out of the hobby when/if it crashes because the allure of the hobby will no longer be there.

May 25 at 2:26:30 PM
Plumber_of_8bits (0)
< Little Mac >
For me I really dump minimal cash in it so it wont affect me as say someone who purchased a Stadium Events for $4,000. I usually get my games from flea markets, trading in stuff to my local retro store and 98% of the time earning rewards such as gift cards to Amazon and eBay from swagbucks and purchasing that way.

May 25 at 2:27:53 PM
Bert (53)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
One of these huh?

May 25 at 2:29:33 PM
barrelsAndRivets (131)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Bert

One of these huh?

My thoughts exactly. 

May 25 at 2:31:02 PM
Chuppa3 (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
10/10 would read again.

May 25 at 2:32:04 PM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas
The retro bubble has been about to burst for over a decade, and it'll continue to "eventually burst very soon" until, as Jonebone said, there isn't a market for games anymore. In the meantime, no one is preventing you from playing these games for significantly cheaper than the price of carts; If you want games for cheap, get an everdrive, use an emulator, or buy them off the VC.

Edited: 05/25/2017 at 02:33 PM by Philosoraptor

May 25 at 2:32:36 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: Plumber_of_8bits

I think too many collectors think of their games as an investment which is sorely wrong and should look elsewhere.
But you're the collector who is pure of heart, right?

May 25 at 2:34:25 PM
Plumber_of_8bits (0)
< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: Tulpa

I think too many collectors think of their games as an investment which is sorely wrong and should look elsewhere.
But you're the collector who is pure of heart, right?

I dont quite understand where you are trying to take this statement?!?

May 25 at 2:39:47 PM
TDIRunner (12)
< Kraid Killer >
Illinois
The biggest problem with the bubble bursting is that there are so many people waiting/wanting the bubble to burst so they can buy cheap games, that if it were to actually happen, all of those people would rush out and start buying cheap games which would drive the prices right back up. There is simply too much demand for the bubble to burst at least for a while.

The biggest thing that would cause this bubble to burst would be if most of us start getting old and die, which would mean fewer collectors in the market with a large influx of games and collections hitting the market. Which means, all I have to do is outlive the rest of you all.   Once I'm 110 years old and you are all gone, I can finally have the collection I've always wanted.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

May 25 at 2:42:30 PM
Brock Landers (43)
< Master Higgins >
Montana

when so called collectors are spending hundred's if not thousands on so called key rare titles it makes my mind boggle a little
So, the collectors are the people who don't spend money?  That's basically impossible in this day and age

May 25 at 2:43:48 PM
SUBSCRIBER
SwiftFrost (197)
< King Solomon >
United States

For me I really dump minimal cash in it so it wont affect me as say someone who purchased a Stadium Events for $4,000. 
And you want the hobby to tank? You don't say. 

May 25 at 2:45:56 PM
Quaze (97)
(Jordan C.) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Oh geez, can it. People can spend their money however they want. If that $500 title isn't worth shit in a few years, people like you can come back here and tell us "I toldja so", and I'm sure it will feel super satisfying. But, if it doesn't tank and prices continue to rise, you can still come back here in a few years and I can tell you.....nothing, because I don't care what you do with your money.

My eBay feedback

May 25 at 2:47:09 PM
Plumber_of_8bits (0)
< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: SwiftFrost

For me I really dump minimal cash in it so it wont affect me as say someone who purchased a Stadium Events for $4,000. 

Than maybe everyone can get all the games they will acutally play instead of being shelf pieces that will end up collecting dust to increase there e-penis size.

May 25 at 2:49:26 PM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Philosoraptor

The retro bubble has been about to burst for over a decade, and it'll continue to "eventually burst very soon" until, as Jonebone said, there isn't a market for games anymore. In the meantime, no one is preventing you from playing these games for significantly cheaper than the price of carts; If you want games for cheap, get an everdrive, use an emulator, or buy them off the VC.
That not to mention the medium these days is more and more focused on digital downloads. In practice, physical copies are more of a burden that eats up alot of space. I know I'm less inclined than ever before to play games the traditional way. Hell, I rather enjoy the nes pirate multicarts floating around. On a side note, I'm astonished by all the blatant reproduction carts of legit releases I've been seeing on ebay. I think that in and of itself will cause the most harm to this hobby, it seems harder than ever for collectors to be assured they are investing in the genuine article when they pull the trigger on rares these days. I feel less and less people will continue to build up collections and that this hobby will fade with people from this generation.

Edited: 05/25/2017 at 02:55 PM by SamSpade

May 25 at 2:50:57 PM
SUBSCRIBER
xMaGuSx (54)
(the black wind howls ) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

Than maybe everyone can get all the games they will acutally play instead of being shelf pieces that will end up collecting dust to increase there e-penis size.

Oh no......not the "games are mean to be played" argument........

All i can say is this. We see this topic dozens up dozens of times a year. So most people are not gonna be very warm in their responses, as we sound like broken records at this point.

Supply/Demand. To each their own. 

2 rules to live by and you will be good to go. 

Be water, My friend. 

Edited: 05/25/2017 at 02:52 PM by xMaGuSx

May 25 at 2:51:01 PM
MrWunderful (261)
(AKA MrWarmonger ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
I was going to lock this, but I feel some trolling is in order because apparently its the twilight zone around here or something

May 25 at 2:52:55 PM
JaxsBox (100)
(( NFR )) < King Solomon >
United States
Literally just dropped $955 on Little Samson an hour ago. Hopefully the market doesn't tank overnight... Boy would I pissed! Wait, wait a minute...nope still wouldn't care. Would make for an awesome feeding frenzy though. There are simply to many types of people involved in the scene for it to tank overnight. There is really no one universal cause to make things completely drop out unless everyone was going to die at weeks end. Then in that case I wouldn't spend the time trying to sell off my crap. So back to square one with no one reason that works on every type.

(Hear that?) Is it hot air being blown up our arse or is it the bubble leaking?

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

May 25 at 2:55:55 PM
JaxsBox (100)
(( NFR )) < King Solomon >
United States

My E-Penis caught a boner when you mentioned "everyone blahh blahh blaa play blah blaa blah pieces

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

May 25 at 2:56:10 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California

https://www.retrousb.com/product_...

Every NES game, one low price.

May 25 at 2:58:10 PM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida

I feel the eventualy retro bubble will burst very soon and it will cause prices to plumenet and in all honesty I wont and wouldnt mind. People have the right to do what they please with there own money but when so called collectors are spending hundred's if not thousands on so called key rare titles it makes my mind boggle a little. What's going to happen to that so called _insert _title_ you spent $500 on is only worth a fraction of what you had spent on it. Always remeber something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay!!!

Get in line buddy.

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

May 25 at 2:59:00 PM
MrWunderful (261)
(AKA MrWarmonger ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
I enjoy buying games just to put on the shelf and never play

May 25 at 2:59:53 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

I enjoy buying games just to put on the shelf and never play
Can you believe there are people who buy them with the wrapper still on, AND NEVER OPEN IT?