Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nintendo Out-of-Stock: Incompetence, or evil? what's the deal with numerous game/console shortages??

Jan 16 at 8:50:28 PM
< Meka Chicken >
All, first off, apologies if this has been discussed numerous time (I suspect it has) on various threads. However, I did not find a thread which directly addresses this issue, so I figure I would start a new one. What got me going on this was the shortage of the

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Special Edition

which sold out everywhere in mintues. It's fair to say that lots of people are not exactly happy:

Oh sure, tons of these are going to turn up on ebay, as they always do! However, the real question is why is that? Does Nintendo purposely want to deny fans the chance to get such items? This is far from the first time this has happened! I recall when this happened to me while trying to get the Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition. Sold out at once, and tons of secondary prices that were 4-5 original cost. Same thing with the NES Classic. Not that I was super interested in the Classic, but if it was around I would have ordered one for retail as a present. But, no copies were around at all. So, was Nintendo just "shocked" that this was such a seller? Well, from Wiis, to Amiibos, to Fire Emblem, Nintendo has a history of apparenlty purposely underproducing items.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/11...
"NES Classic Edition shortages prove Nintendo is either underhanded or incompetent"

"Could it be that we take Nintendo at its word and the company is just that bad at judging demand? And it’s been that bad for an actual decade now?...every single time Nintendo screws up a shipment or creates scarcity, managed or not, it’s showing those customers that it either doesn’t care or can’t be bothered to figure out what’s wrong with its chronic inability to meet demand. There is no third option and, honestly, I don’t know what’s worse."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm tired of always having to wonder if I'll be able to find this Nintendo game/product at an affordable price because it always sells out and there never seems to be any in stock for some reason.

Edited: 01/16/2017 at 08:52 PM by avatar!

Jan 16 at 8:53:37 PM
NESking80 (13)
(Chris aka inspector Callahan ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
another example is the black friday new 3ds, those were really hard to get ahold of.

Jan 16 at 8:55:01 PM
barrelsAndRivets (127)
< Bowser >
California
For the NES Classic, N of A execs claim they underestimated demand, yes. That doesn't explain all of the Amibo silliness though...

edit: source was through google news earlier. Sorry, don't even remember the publication 

Edited: 01/16/2017 at 08:57 PM by barrelsAndRivets

Jan 16 at 8:57:02 PM
Bert (50)
(Bort ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario

Here's a video that I've found interesting about the topic. If you don't care to watch, it basically highlights why it makes business sense to operate the way Nintendo has been operating. It is specifically about amiibo, but it could really apply to anything Nintendo under produces. Bottom line, it is 100% intentional

Jan 16 at 9:35:01 PM
< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_yp..." width="500">>

Here's a video that I've found interesting about the topic. If you don't care to watch, it basically highlights why it makes business sense to operate the way Nintendo has been operating. It is specifically about amiibo, but it could really apply to anything Nintendo under produces. Bottom line, it is 100% intentional

That video was good, but I don't agree with all of it. Sure, you can underestimate the demand for a product or two. But ALWAYS underestimating the demand? Also, the video correctly talks about equilibrium price. However, again when the demand is high a company such as Nintendo should make more. However, their amazingly long shortages suggest that something is really wrong. As the original article I linked (hehe   pointed out, either incompetence or something more malicious.

Edited: 01/16/2017 at 09:36 PM by avatar!

Jan 16 at 11:30:00 PM
Brachabre (7)
< El Ripper >
Texas
like eBay kickbacks?

Jan 16 at 11:54:07 PM
RegularGuyGamer (101)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Never forget

Jan 16 at 11:58:53 PM
mattbep (106)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Why is it that I originally just wanted to wait months to Years to purchase the Switch, but now that it's so hard to get a preorder I find myself wanting one more each day? Maybe there's something to this strategy.

Jan 17 at 12:14:56 AM
< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: ZombieGuyGeezus

That, is just a classic! "What's Nintendo you ask and why should you care?" Indeed, I ponder that all the time...
Well, have to say, as much as I envy kids today, I'm still glad I went to school when parents would kick us out to be outside after enough gaming/TV -and of course there was no internet and no smartphones, so you actually did things such as play basketball, walk around town, throw frisbees and footballs, visit the comic book store, and ponder when the Russians are going to nuke us, or are we going to nuke them (or both?) Ah yes, the "good" ol' 80s  

ps Back then Nintendo was revolutionizing video games, so I excuse them for their lack of supply back then. Plus, it's not like Super Mario Bros. 2 sold out in minutes and Nintendo just refused to ever make more (like the BS they pulled with Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition!!) OK, maybe you just had to wait a few weeks before your parents got you one, but we were strong and brave back then  

pps I bet ya'll would love to be able to reach back in time and just pull all those new, beautiful, unopened NES games and have them lying at your feet...

Edited: 01/17/2017 at 12:24 AM by avatar!

Jan 17 at 1:14:24 AM
empire (56)
(Matt ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
I think they just really underestimate the demand for their products.

-------------------------
SW-6786-5095-2210

Jan 17 at 1:19:52 AM
LaC (81)
< El Ripper >
Illinois
Originally posted by: empire

I think they just really underestimate the demand for their products.

-------
Eprom

WTB
FS/FT

Jan 17 at 2:08:15 AM
Brock Landers (42)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
I don't know what the source was or how accurate it was, but the book Console Wars described how they do it on purpose to cultivate the brand as being highly desirable, that you should be lucky to purchase it

Same reason Disney puts their shit back in the "vault"

SNES Set - 666/723 (Super Bases Loaded 3)

Jan 17 at 3:38:07 AM
Nirvana (1)
(Kori Winstead) < King Solomon >
Louisiana
Evil? lolwut

Jan 17 at 3:41:03 AM
rcorporon (34)
(Ron Corporon) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Just old, antiquated business practices that have no business still being used and are anti-consumer IMO.

Jan 17 at 9:04:01 AM
gutsman004 (119)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

I don't know what the source was or how accurate it was, but the book Console Wars described how they do it on purpose to cultivate the brand as being highly desirable, that you should be lucky to purchase it

Bingo! Every time they do this it creates a frenzy. That in turn makes their stock holders very happy and makes people considering buying stock to now buy it. Nintendo makes even more money. 

The whole "Nintendo is either evil or incompetent" is completely off base. If it was,then why do people still keep standing in line at stores for hours (and other similar things) to get their products? Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing and it works.

Sucks for the collector,but until a majority of people just finally say "screw it,I'm not doing this anymore" Nintendo will keep doing it. (They'd probably still do it either way to be honest.)

My wacky WTB NES CIB thread. http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 17 at 9:13:46 AM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Bingo! Every time they do this it creates a frenzy. That in turn makes their stock holders very happy and makes people considering buying stock to now buy it. Nintendo makes even more money. 

The whole "Nintendo is either evil or incompetent" is completely off base. If it was,then why do people still keep standing in line at stores for hours (and other similar things) to get their products? Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing and it works.

Sucks for the collector,but until a majority of people just finally say "screw it,I'm not doing this anymore" Nintendo will keep doing it. (They'd probably still do it either way to be honest.)

I agree that's absolutely their reason for it - but that doesn't exclude them from also being evil for doing it.  

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Jan 17 at 9:42:28 AM
gutsman004 (119)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Daria

Originally posted by: gutsman004

I agree that's absolutely their reason for it - but that doesn't exclude them from also being evil for doing it.  

Yeah it sucks for sure. I'm just looking at it from the business perspective instead of the collector point of view. I'm just glad that Nintendo hasn't put out much that I've really wanted. And what stuff I did,I was lucky enough to get it without much hassle.

My wacky WTB NES CIB thread. http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 17 at 9:59:20 AM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Daria

If we were talking about something necessary for life (food, water, medicine), then this business model would be evil.

Since we are talking about luxury goods, that have a readily accessible back catalog spanning at least 3 decades of quality material (i.e. not legitimate shortage of content, at any price point), then no, it's not evil.

Consumers are just mooks.

Edited: 01/17/2017 at 10:00 AM by arch_8ngel

Jan 17 at 10:01:08 AM
smokinjoe24 (147)
(P Fen) < Bowser >
United States
It's bigger than just these two LE. Go look for a Nintendo product at all. Games can be located but new people aren't going to buy their games because you can't even get your hand on a new console. I believe you can find some 2DS systems is right now and if you're lucky, a Wii U. But there is not a 3DS on the shelf anywhere. It's almost like they have stopped all those effort to focus on the switch, and if history repeats itself, these will be ridiculous to get too.

Jan 17 at 10:01:42 AM
KrakenSoup (40)
(Mike P) < Bowser >
New York
Anything labeled a "collector's edition" or "special edition" or anything other than a regular edition, I assume it's limited quantities and it will be hard to get your hands on. Of course this is 100% controlled by the companies to create demand and make people who got these editions feel like they got something special.

In the case of the NES Classic though, something that was initially NOT considered a collector's edition, they are basically claiming incompetence or unable to read the market, but I don't know if I believe that. I mean come on - they did this with the amiibos and now this. They act like they don't know people want their products. The hilarious thing about amiibos though, they were ridiculously hard to find for months and they say they were shocked by their popularilty and that "more are on the way" and eventually stores restocked them, but it took forever. So long, perhaps, that people stopped caring. Now they're everywhere and no one wants them. Could be the same with the NES Classic. They claim that it was way more popular than they thought and that more are on the way. A year from now, perhaps, they'll be sitting collecting dust on store shelves, who knows?

But when it's all said and done, I just don't know if I buy the whole "we didn't know it would sell this well" excuse for both amiibos and NES Classic. Is Nintendo seriously not aware of the popularity of its products? Come on now, they absolutely do know. And they use that to their advantage. They got Nintendo fans eating out of their hands, and the more they know it, the more they can get away with. So why not control the market a bit more? At least that's my take.

Edited: 01/17/2017 at 10:03 AM by KrakenSoup

Jan 17 at 10:50:35 AM
Dangoo87 (1)
< Meka Chicken >
England
um... I just purchased this from Nintendo Store for the UK  

WTB - NTSC-U exclusive Wii U games http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Currently Playing: Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)
Recently Completed: Dark Souls 2 (360)

Jan 17 at 4:28:49 PM
< Meka Chicken >
"Evil" is arguably a bit harsh. Certainly if not evil then pernicious. Purposely pernicious... which is a bit evil. Sure, we're not talking Martin Shkreli evil, but I feel that Nintendo is purposely abusing its customer base, which you could argue is "evil". Perhaps a minor evil. Sure, not Cthulu, but anyway I'm sick of Nintendo's constant pernicious manipulation of stock which in today's day and age could easily be remedied!

Let Jim Sterling explain

Edited: 01/17/2017 at 04:32 PM by avatar!

Jan 17 at 5:38:16 PM
SnowSauce (5)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Minnesota
I don't buy that they underestimate the market, because this seems to happen with every new product. Nobody is that oblivious, especially in the corporate world.

Any chance they are limiting supply in an attempt to increase demand?

NintendoAge's Resident Tony Hawk Pro Skater Collector 

Jan 17 at 6:33:42 PM
< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: SnowSauce

I don't buy that they underestimate the market, because this seems to happen with every new product. Nobody is that oblivious, especially in the corporate world.

Any chance they are limiting supply in an attempt to increase demand?
Watch the videos I've linked. That absolutely seems to be the case. Purposely limiting production to increase demand.

Jan 17 at 6:37:46 PM
SUBSCRIBER
SwiftFrost (195)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Or, they could just be a historically conservative company.