Jan 11 at 12:46:38 PM
attakid101 (19)
(Fredo ) < King Solomon >
Idaho
Originally posted by: Daria

Originally posted by: attakid101

Originally posted by: Daria

Originally posted by: attakid101

Look bro, what you and your wife are going through--I can't even imagine. I was genuinely happy to hear that she got through her surgery. 

But starting a GoFundMe page for her medical expenses, all the while sitting on a pile of collectibles... Hell, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that during this time you were actually adding to your NES library. 

Maybe be instead of that you could have asked your friends to make donations in her name to breast cancer research. Or maybe you could have directed them to a GoDundMe page of someone who actually needed the help.

Again, man. All the best to you and your family.  Truly. But I can't agree with your actions here.

I've seen the community rally together to give money without asking that the reciever sell off their personal belongings first. 

That said the difference is the community initiated the fundraising and not the reciever. BUT I've seen it where people want to give so they convince the reciever to setup the page so they have an organized avenue to do so. Context matters.
Of course context matters.

Let's consider the context. We all know that Archon is a big spender. He's spent many thousands of dollars on this and other hobbies. And you're right, no one can ask him to sell his belongings to cover his wife's medical expenses. But based on his collecting history, I'd venture to say that Archon could have afforded the medical expenses without selling a single cart. And speaking contextually, the GoFundMe money would have been better served elsewhere. 

I'm not about to pick apart Archon's private life for the sake of an internet debate. 

My conclusions were drawn from information given publicly by Archon himself. Nobody's picking apart a private life.

If I'm entirely off base, then fine. I leave it to Archon to set the record straight--assuming he even feels the need to defend himself.

But the reality is that it's his life and it doesn't  matter what the fuck I have to say about his decision to take money.

But again, he made his decision public and I felt compelled to share my feelings on the matter. Just like you feel compelled to defend him.

Jan 11 at 12:56:17 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: tracker465

Originally posted by: jonebone

As I stated, raising money for weddings, divorces, car repairs, etc. is silly to me. But when you have life altering diseases your life will NEVER be "normal" again. For some people the best way they can cope is to continue the hobbies they love in some capacity, whether it is collecting, golfing, playing sports, etc. It's not that every single penny or every single second of your life should be spent battling disease... all most people want to do is try to live as "normal" of a life as possible. Don't be so quick to criticize.
As someone that has a non-curable health condition, I can totally relate to this.  Sometimes, the best medicine is to keep going as you had in the past, to the best as you can.
I think you guys are correct and I wouldn't want to imagine what anyone is going through in that situation.

I think the OP was making a specific point though. "However, you know that this friend has a rather sizable collection, with a few $500+ games in it, that could easily be sold for cash to help them deal with their situation."

If someone can take a handful of games and easily liquidate them to get their funding started, that's the most logical route. Which I think is what the OP was getting at.

You're right, living with some sort of normalcy is important. But for example, if you've got 500 games and needed some cash so you're going to keep 100. Say only one is worth $500, 40 worth $50, and the rest (359) worth $10. That's being pretty generous, depending on the games/system.

You could still keep 100 games and get 6 G's right there. To anyone playing games... 100 is alot. And in that 6 G's I'm sure you could get an Everdrive.

You've still got a pretty good chunk of games and a great head start to your expenses.

-------------------------

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Jan 11 at 1:01:58 PM
Bert (52)
(THRILLHO ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: AirVillain

As I stated, raising money for weddings, divorces, car repairs, etc. is silly to me. But when you have life altering diseases your life will NEVER be "normal" again. For some people the best way they can cope is to continue the hobbies they love in some capacity, whether it is collecting, golfing, playing sports, etc. It's not that every single penny or every single second of your life should be spent battling disease... all most people want to do is try to live as "normal" of a life as possible. Don't be so quick to criticize.
As someone that has a non-curable health condition, I can totally relate to this.  Sometimes, the best medicine is to keep going as you had in the past, to the best as you can.
I think you guys are correct and I wouldn't want to imagine what anyone is going through in that situation.

I think the OP was making a specific point though. "However, you know that this friend has a rather sizable collection, with a few $500+ games in it, that could easily be sold for cash to help them deal with their situation."

If someone can take a handful of games and easily liquidate them to get their funding started, that's the most logical route. Which I think is what the OP was getting at.

You're right, living with some sort of normalcy is important. But for example, if you've got 500 games and needed some cash so you're going to keep 100. Say only one is worth $500, 40 worth $50, and the rest (359) worth $10. That's being pretty generous, depending on the games/system.

You could still keep 100 games and get 6 G's right there. To anyone playing games... 100 is alot. And in that 6 G's I'm sure you could get an Everdrive.

You've still got a pretty good chunk of games and a great head start to your expenses.
You don't need a stack of $500+ peices of plastic and cardboard to live a normal life. I know plenty of people who live normal lives without spending hundreds of dollars on pieces of plastic and cardboard.

Jan 11 at 1:06:42 PM
Rookie1 (13)
(Pig Benis) < El Ripper >
Maine
So much post hoc in here.

THINGS IM LOOKING FOR - http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 11 at 1:10:07 PM
Lincoln (133)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
A couple things to consider-

1. the person might have people who want to help them but have no other way to do so. don't assume someone is a beggar right out of the gate. they may have resisted until someone twisted their arm.

2. people have collections that are tremendously important to them. they may spent years to get what they have. liquidating is a one time thing and if you've been at it that long, you probably have stuff you wouldn't be able to replace later. having to give up on something so personally important, on top of a serious illness, could be devastating. just getting through an illness isn't the end of the story.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM updates and download thread for .nes info and splitting

Jan 11 at 1:14:49 PM
fcgamer (87)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

You don't need a stack of $500+ peices of plastic and cardboard to live a normal life. I know plenty of people who live normal lives without spending hundreds of dollars on pieces of plastic and cardboard.

@AirVillian: Totally agree, and that is what I hope any reasonable person would do.  My point was, to move an entire collection, it may not be feasible depending on how urgent the money was needed.  If the bill was due in a week or two, then it is more manageble to sell off stuff, but if the money were needed the next day, or in a few hours, maybe not so feasible.  Of course, the choice rares would always be an easy sell, in any situation, and I imagine those would be the first to go for most people as well, in this sort of situation.

@BertBerryCrunch:  Totally missing the point, I think.  People can live normal lives while being blind, can live normal lives and be deaf, etc.  If someone has a hobby and suddenly has to completely do away with it, his or her life is not going to be normal, to them. In fact, I don't think it is even possible to describe what a "normal" life would be, but that would be getting too philosophical for this thread.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus
Progress:  300 titles examined out of approximately 2000.

My blog: www.fcgamer.wordpress.com

Sale / Trade Thread (on Famicom World):  http://www.famicomworld.com/forum...

^^^Tons of unlicensed Famicom / Game Boy games, Hu cards, etc for sale.  If something is of interest, you can send me a message here about it, no need to register somewhere else :)  Purchases of $50 or more, receive 10% discount.

Jan 11 at 1:44:17 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

@AirVillian: Totally agree, and that is what I hope any reasonable person would do.  My point was, to move an entire collection, it may not be feasible depending on how urgent the money was needed.  If the bill was due in a week or two, then it is more manageble to sell off stuff, but if the money were needed the next day, or in a few hours, maybe not so feasible.  Of course, the choice rares would always be an easy sell, in any situation, and I imagine those would be the first to go for most people as well, in this sort of situation.

@BertBerryCrunch:  Totally missing the point, I think.  People can live normal lives while being blind, can live normal lives and be deaf, etc.  If someone has a hobby and suddenly has to completely do away with it, his or her life is not going to be normal, to them. In fact, I don't think it is even possible to describe what a "normal" life would be, but that would be getting too philosophical for this thread.
Yeah, I see your point. Might not be THAT easy.

OP saying his buddy HAS some $500+ games seemed like those were easy to let go.

No doubt Bert, bo doubt!

I'm just saying, you could sell a huge junk of your collection and still have "normalcy" in your life.

Even further, I would expect someone to sell ALL their games and buy an everdrive first. Not even keep 100, shit. If it's a medical situation, it's obviously more important than 100 games. Or even the system to play them on.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Jan 11 at 2:09:09 PM
Archon (16)
(Stephan Reese) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: Lincoln

A couple things to consider-

1. the person might have people who want to help them but have no other way to do so. don't assume someone is a beggar right out of the gate. they may have resisted until someone twisted their arm.

2. people have collections that are tremendously important to them. they may spent years to get what they have. liquidating is a one time thing and if you've been at it that long, you probably have stuff you wouldn't be able to replace later. having to give up on something so personally important, on top of a serious illness, could be devastating. just getting through an illness isn't the end of the story.
Just wanted to touch on this, because there is so much to be said about psychological value vs actual value.

• Working on my collection during Heather's cancer treatment was the primary tool I used to keep myself busy during times I would otherwise just be sitting there stewing about my life. It also brought me a community of people to lean on during a time that I really needed people to lean on.
  • Out of pocket financial impact for Heather's treatment (and mind you, people with ongoing battles spend MUCH much more than this) was about $100,000 (after cost of actual treatment, loss of wages for heather, loss of wages for me, and full time childcare).
  • Let's say I COULD have liquidated that snes collection instantly AND gotten full value (which we all know would have been impossible). Let's use the GVN figure (cause its easy) and say $17,781. Which is about $5000 more than I actually "spent" at the time (spent in quotes because I didn't spend any new money on my snes set, it was all selling or trading collectibles I already owned)
I can tell you right now that the month to month financial difference between 100,000 and 82,000 is virtually none. Weighing that against the tremendous psychological relief I gained from the experience of collecting during that time? Yeah. I would do things exactly how I did them over and over and over.

Jan 11 at 2:12:43 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
How is she doing Stephan?

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jan 11 at 2:22:20 PM
Archon (16)
(Stephan Reese) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: Bronty

How is she doing Stephan?

Very well! Finally back to work (after her double mastectomy it took forever for her to be able to lift anything, and she works fine dining), which is good for her -- she desperately needed to get out of the house. Theres still more surgery to do for reconstuction, but the radiation totally fucked her skin up, so they have to wait for it to normalize. So we wont be done done for another year.

Jan 11 at 2:28:50 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Milwaukee_Nintendo (17)
(Charles A) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
This thread is pretty depressing. We need a laugh...

Jan 11 at 3:01:58 PM
SUBSCRIBER
MuNKeY (112)
(Keeper of the Cheese ) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Hey look! A five legged cat.

I'm not saying I'm crazy, but sometimes I'm more confused than a mood ring on a schizophrenic chameleon in a bag full of Skittles.

Jan 11 at 6:13:26 PM
Krunch (137)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Yep, cause selling a large collection and still trying to get market value for it is such an easy thing to do especially when stress is all around you....it's like waving a magic wand!

eBay - http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nk...

#YKNOTK

Jan 11 at 11:06:49 PM
DarkKobold (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah

No, but this is amazingly coincidental irony.  It looks like this thread went up about 3 hours before his Gofundme.  
Wow, that is awesome. I'm lucky it didn't go up at the same time or before, as no one would have believed me that it was concidental, and the thread would have been locked as a veiled insult.

FWIW, it was this thread on reddit that triggered the question:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddi...

It reminded me of a facebook friend's GoFundMe, which in-turn reminded me that he owned my grail. This brought the question to my head. I'd never put the two together while the GFM campaign was actually active. I don't want to give too many details, as my question wasn't meant to insult my friend or anyone, just to see if others felt it was a little 'off' to ask for handouts while owning liquidatable assets, especially if liquidating those assets would cover the amount you are asking for.

Jan 12 at 12:08:47 AM
Buyatari (10)
(Adam Harvey) < Lolo Lord >
Ohio
This is a complicated question.

However, to answer the question. No.
In general I wouldn't place those expectations on another person dealing with a major crisis.

Jan 12 at 12:16:10 AM
Buyatari (10)
(Adam Harvey) < Lolo Lord >
Ohio
Originally posted by: DarkKobold

No, but this is amazingly coincidental irony.  It looks like this thread went up about 3 hours before his Gofundme.  
Wow, that is awesome. I'm lucky it didn't go up at the same time or before, as no one would have believed me that it was concidental, and the thread would have been locked as a veiled insult.

FWIW, it was this thread on reddit that triggered the question:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/5n54s3/whats_the...

It reminded me of a facebook friend's GoFundMe, which in-turn reminded me that he owned my grail. This brought the question to my head. I'd never put the two together while the GFM campaign was actually active. I don't want to give too many details, as my question wasn't meant to insult my friend or anyone, just to see if others felt it was a little 'off' to ask for handouts while owning liquidatable assets, especially if liquidating those assets would cover the amount you are asking for.

Now seeing this link it depends more on the crisis than on the means of the person.
If I had a friend who was a millionaire and that friend was in danger of losing a child I'd send him money without him ever asking for it.
It is a way of showing support and showing that you care more than thinking you can fix another person's problem. 

Jan 12 at 12:38:48 AM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: Krunch

Yep, cause selling a large collection and still trying to get market value for it is such an easy thing to do especially when stress is all around you....it's like waving a magic wand!
Listing games for auction on ebay isn't exactly rocket science.

Jan 12 at 12:43:57 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
When you break it down folks are allowed to ask for money and other folks are allowed to give it. There is nothing wrong about that.

The morality of how bad a person needs that money and what they actually do with it is where problems occur.

Edited: 01/12/2017 at 12:44 AM by ne$_pimp

Jan 12 at 1:06:44 AM
Nirvana (1)
(Kori Winstead) < King Solomon >
Louisiana
I'm not against starting a GoFundMe in that situation. I don't consider asking for help begging people. They aren't obligated to help you anyway, and I feel like anyone who submits these kinds of things should understand that. Otherwise, why the hell are they creating them? <_<

EDIT: This does not mean I wouldn't sell any of my stuff either. I totally would. They're just material things in the end.

Edited: 01/12/2017 at 03:58 AM by Nirvana

Jan 12 at 2:51:29 AM
barrelsAndRivets (128)
< Bowser >
California
I feel really bad for Ian's situation, but still, it's a shame he didn't buy into some health care exchange. Hopefully he will buy into something that survives the repeal...

I'd not only sell my collection, but as a person that watched my brother die waiting for a kidney, I'd literally donate or sell body parts if it helped the cause. Rare guitars, video games, fuck it. I'd pawn everything for pennies on the dollar if it'd help a situation close to me.

Edited: 01/12/2017 at 02:54 AM by barrelsAndRivets

Jan 12 at 4:02:03 AM
Nirvana (1)
(Kori Winstead) < King Solomon >
Louisiana
Oops... looks like I completely misunderstood the topic at first. >_>

I thought that the people who were saying that this shouldn't even be up for debate or whatever, were trying to say that "begging" for money (GoFundMe) is somehow wrong. But now I see what you guys meant - it's the general sentiment that you hoped wouldn't be up for debate. Then yeah, I definitely agree. Family and friends come first.

Edited: 01/12/2017 at 04:02 AM by Nirvana

Jan 12 at 12:04:50 PM
Rookie1 (13)
(Pig Benis) < El Ripper >
Maine
Originally posted by: pegboy

Do they have a setting that makes it easier to do so while suffering the side effects of chemo?

THINGS IM LOOKING FOR - http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 12 at 12:18:15 PM
captmorgandrinker (545)
(Throw apples at NESDJ) < Bonk >
Ohio

While the listing piece isn't difficult, getting stuff packaged up properly, to the post office, etc. probably isn't the easiest if you're either undergoing treatment or caring for someone under treatment.  

Jan 12 at 12:53:19 PM
Brock Landers (42)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
I feel like this thread has run it's course, and this can probably only be construed as a criticism of Archon which isn't fair because he is the only one who knows his life and friends and how everything went down.

But If I gave someone $1000 for a gofundme for a family illness, and then he bought a $7000 video game a couple months later, I would have questions...

SNES Set - 670/723 (Virtual Bart)

Jan 12 at 1:13:43 PM
fcgamer (87)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Rookie1

Do they have a setting that makes it easier to do so while suffering the side effects of chemo?

Hahaha.  So terrible.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus
Progress:  300 titles examined out of approximately 2000.

My blog: www.fcgamer.wordpress.com

Sale / Trade Thread (on Famicom World):  http://www.famicomworld.com/forum...

^^^Tons of unlicensed Famicom / Game Boy games, Hu cards, etc for sale.  If something is of interest, you can send me a message here about it, no need to register somewhere else :)  Purchases of $50 or more, receive 10% discount.