Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sell Collection or GoFundMe?

Jan 10 at 6:11:55 PM
DarkKobold (9)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah
So, hypothetical scenario. An event happens in one of your friend's life, that puts a financial strain on them (divorce, disease, death in the family, etc). They are in need of money to deal with this situation. Now-a-days, it seems like tons of people set up GoFundMe to get friends to contribute to help them out of their dire straits. However, you know that this friend has a rather sizable collection, with a few $500+ games in it, that could easily be sold for cash to help them deal with their situation.

Would you expect them to sell their collection before they started a beg-a-thon style page? Or would you think its OK to keep the games, while asking others to contribute?

Edited: 01/10/2017 at 06:13 PM by DarkKobold

Jan 10 at 6:16:11 PM
MrWunderful (241)
(Corey ) < Master Higgins >
California
I would sell every game i owned before I beg for money.

Jan 10 at 6:17:46 PM
SUBSCRIBER
SwiftFrost (191)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Sell the collection. Hopefully, this isn't even be a debate.

Jan 10 at 6:18:02 PM
Archon (16)
(Stephan Reese) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: DarkKobold

So, hypothetical scenario. An event happens in one of your friend's life, that puts a financial strain on them (divorce, disease, death in the family, etc). They are in need of money to deal with this situation. Now-a-days, it seems like tons of people set up GoFundMe to get friends to contribute to help them out of their dire straits. However, you know that this friend has a rather sizable collection, with a few $500+ games in it, that could easily be sold for cash to help them deal with their situation.

Would you expect them to sell their collection before they started a beg-a-thon style page? Or would you think its OK to keep the games, while asking others to contribute?

I would expect them to do what works for them. Each persons/families financial situation is the concern of themselves and no one elses. Sorry, as someone who recently did a gofundme for my wife's battle with cancer, this hits a nerve.  

Edited: 01/10/2017 at 06:18 PM by Archon

Jan 10 at 6:19:24 PM
Loxx O))) (4)
< El Ripper >
Washington
Depends on how dire the situation really is. I can see an argument going both ways, though. If you really need the money... you could get the money. Although, if you don't have to sell and people are willing to help, then why not?

But I mean if your kid is dying or something and you're refusing to sell your games even when you know it could help? Fuck you. Your possessions aren't more important than that.

Jan 10 at 6:19:48 PM
DarkKobold (9)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

You might say this, until you are in a position like Archon's. I don't think the answer is as clear cut as people outside the situation think it is.

Jan 10 at 6:21:21 PM
scottmog (30)
(scott haefele) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: SwiftFrost

This, I hate gofundme'rs with a passion

-------------------------

Jan 10 at 6:22:32 PM
Archon (16)
California

You might say this, until you are in a position like Archon's. I don't think the answer is as clear cut as people outside the situation think it is.

Also we were very clear on a couple things:
1. Up front that we werent destitute
2. That every penny of the GoFundMe money would go toward heather's cancer treatment (and it did)

For us, the GoFUndMe was more about giving people a way to "help" in a helpless situation.

Jan 10 at 6:22:52 PM
Loxx O))) (4)
< El Ripper >
Washington

For me, that would be a situation where it's going to be a drawn out thing.  Getting the money right now from your possessions doesn't ensure a positive end and if you would like to ask for help that's one thing.  It's unfortunate that I posted right after he did because people could misconstrue my meaning to make it about his situation.

Jan 10 at 6:24:17 PM
Archon (16)
California
Originally posted by: Loxx O)))

For me, that would be a situation where it's going to be a drawn out thing.  Getting the money right now from your possessions doesn't ensure a positive end and if you would like to ask for help that's one thing.  It's unfortunate that I posted right after he did because people could misconstrue my meaning to make it about his situation.

I didn't. *brofist*

Jan 10 at 6:27:10 PM
Loxx O))) (4)
< El Ripper >
Washington
I'm glad you didn't.

Jan 10 at 6:30:59 PM
Archon (16)
California
The worst part about doing a GoFundMe (and you can pass this on to you friend as something to think about) is that a lot of people will view it like a kickstarter. Now that they have "bought into" your life, they feel like they have a say. You will get critically viewed for spending money on ANYTHING not related to the problem, regardless of where the money you are spending came from or what it is. You'd be shocked how many people had something to say when I took my wife to Disneyland while she was doing chemo. People don't understand the need to feel normal when you are going through something completely abnormal. And it fucking sucks.

I made very sure that this was really the only place I would talk about collecting while heather was in treatment. Even though not one dollar was being spent on my collection that didn't come from me selling a collectible I already owned.

Edited: 01/10/2017 at 06:32 PM by Archon

Jan 10 at 6:34:20 PM
jonebone (506)
(N64 Fanatic) < Pit >
Maryland
If it's just a bill like divorce or a funeral then you find a way to pay it. If it's a life changing condition like cancer, paralysis, etc. then I'll donate you some money whether you have the gofundme or not.

WTB: NM / Mint NES CIBs & Turbografx 16 CIBs
My eBay, 10% Off if sold on NA!  http://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone7...
Now Playing: Steamworld Heist (Wii U)
Recent Beats: Shantae Sequels (3DS & Wii U), Sleeping Dogs (XB1), Link's Awakening DX (GBC)

Jan 10 at 6:47:17 PM
dra600n (282)
(Adym \m/) < Purple Ganon >
Connecticut

And every other non-essential item.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jan 10 at 6:53:03 PM
Brock Landers (32)
< Bowser >
Montana
Originally posted by: dra600n

So-long wife's music collection!

Edited: 01/10/2017 at 06:55 PM by Brock Landers

Jan 10 at 6:59:32 PM
Brock Landers (32)
< Bowser >
Montana
To answer the question, if it happened, I would probably take every game I own over $50 and put it up for auction on here and describe the situation. Maybe do lots of the next tier too.

Jan 10 at 7:06:20 PM
SUBSCRIBER
ToxieRules (53)
(The Central Scrutinizer. ) < Bowser >
Canada
If you can't let games go to help a family member or close friend and money "is" an issue (I would assume so since you would be starting a gofundme).

I can't even finish my thought but, that is textbook addict behaviour and is a concern.

Jan 10 at 7:08:31 PM
empire (55)
(Matt ) < Master Higgins >
British Columbia
If it was something like "you need x amount of money for treatment costs", then yeah, everything I own would go. Hell, if I had a sick dog that needed surgery i'd sell stuff I needed to.

I'm not the kind of person that asks for hand outs. If friends or family were to do one, while I would accept it, i'd still sell what I could to contribute, not sit back and just accept it.

Jan 10 at 7:11:33 PM
dra600n (282)
(Adym \m/) < Purple Ganon >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

So-long wife's music collection!

That's less important than a full snes collection.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jan 10 at 7:15:33 PM
Quaze (77)
(Jordan C.) < Kraid Killer >
British Columbia

Yep, hopefully it's not. If I could get the money myself by any other means, I wouldn't ask anyone else for it.

My eBay feedback

Jan 10 at 7:19:17 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Mega Tank (114)
< Bowser >
United States
Originally posted by: Quazonk

Yep, hopefully it's not. If I could get the money myself by any other means, I wouldn't ask anyone else for it.

Agreed.

FS/FT/FO Price drop!:  Click me. You know you want to.

Jan 10 at 7:30:22 PM
The Count (96)
(Grant X.) < El Ripper >
Minnesota
Sell every single game every single time. Priority for me family.

Jan 10 at 7:32:52 PM
MrWunderful (241)
(Corey ) < Master Higgins >
California

Pretty sure it is. 

*ahem*

I WOULD SELL EVERY GAME I OWNED BEFORE I ASKED FOR MONEY(and non essential items)

I am not in anyone elses situation. My personal, is that I have a pretty sizeable amount of money saved, and have made smart investments early on in my life. So if something did happen, I have contingencies. 

I dont pretend to know what other peoples situations or feelings are. Anybody that wants to set up a go fund me or support it by all means do so. 

I just would never do it unless it was my very last resort. 

Jan 10 at 7:37:08 PM
GreatGadon (3)
(Robert ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Like all things, I feel it depends on the circumstances. I personally would feel guilty taking someone else's money under any circumstance and would do everything possible in my own power to come up with the money myself. However there are those dire life changing circumstances that are beyond our control and if you obviously have family and friends who want to help then I don't see anything wrong with setting up a controlled way for people who really want to help to help.

Jan 10 at 7:37:58 PM
captmorgandrinker (530)
(Capybara on the loose) < Purple Ganon >
Ohio

Yep.