Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How I Got Scammed By Brenda Huff, Owner Of Wisdom Tree

May 10, 2016 at 1:48:55 AM
bootload (5)

< Eggplant Wizard >
This is going to take some reading but I'll try and make it as easy as I can.

In May of 2014 I heard you can still buy old Wisdom Tree stock and tracked down the email address for the owner, Brenda Huff. I contacted her and asked if I could buy a bunch of the old stock. Right away she sends me a spreadsheet with a list of items with prices and tells me to fill it out and send it back.

I got insanely busy with work and sent back the spreadsheet in December of 2014 with an apology. I never got a reply so I sent an email every couple of months until finally in July of 2015 I get a response from her that all sales are on hold.

2 months later I contact her again to see if sales have opened up again and in September she finally replies. She is very receptive explaining that she sold Wisdom Tree to a new owner and is in the process of transferring stock. She is still willing to take my order and forward it to the new owners, how nice of her! I sent my shopping list as such:

Re-release of Super 3D Noah's Ark for SNES $65.00

NES Source Code for Color Dreams Games on DVD  

Arab- Saddam Husen(Formerly Secret Scout) $10.00
Arab- Saddam Husen 2(Formerly Secret Scout) $10.00
Baby Boomer $10.00
Baby Boomer 2 $10.00
Baby Boomer Final $10.00
Captain Comic 8 89 $10.00
Captain Comic 11 7 89 $10.00
Castle of Deceit 8 9 90 $10.00
Crystal Mines 11 7 89 $10.00
Hand Job (working title) $10.00
Moon Ranger $10.00
P'radikus Conflict $10.00
P'radikus Conflict Final 5 29 90 $10.00
Pesterminator 5 29 90 $10.00
Pesterminator 5 30 90 $10.00
Raid 2020 $10.00
Robo Demons $10.00
Secret Scout Aztec $10.00
Skate 5 30 91 (Probably Menace Beach working) $10.00
DVD with all of the above $25.00

Wisdom Tree Source Code  
Exodus 5.0 Nes $10.00
Joshua $10.00
Super 3D Noah's Ark for SNES $10.00
DVD with all 3 $20.00

Digital copies of VHS Cassettes  

Color Dreams Showroom Demo $10.00
Sneak Preview Game Pix(includes Street Fighter 2 hints) $10.00
Wisdom Tree Game play of Bible A, Exodus, Bible Buffet, KK $20.00
Bible Adventure Demo $10.00
New Games Nes game play of misc games $10.00
Secret Scout game play from tester $10.00

Boxes @ $1.00 ea    
NES:    
Bible Buffet $1.00 3
GB    
KJV Bible for GB $1.00 3

Manuals @ $1.00 ea    
Bible Adventurews $1.00 3
King of Kings $1.00 3
Sunday Funday $1.00 3
Bible Buffet $1.00 3
KJV Bible for GB $1.00 3

Stickers @ .10 ea    
NES:    
Bible Adventures   3
King of Kings $0.10 3
Exodus $0.10 3
Joshua $0.10 3
Spiritual Warfare $0.10 3
Bible Buffet $0.10 3
Sunday Funday $0.10 3
Black label on back of cart $0.10 3

GameBoy:    
KJV Bible $0.10 3

Sega Genesis    
Bible Adventures $0.10 3
Exodus $0.10 3
Joshua $0.10 3
Spiritual Warfare $0.10 3

SNES    
Super 3D Noah's Ark $0.10 3

Color Dreams Technology and History Pack $10.00 $10.00  
Wisdom Tree Game Tips pack $10.00 $10.00  
Color Dreams Game Tips pack $10.00 $10.00  
Wisdom Tree Ad Sheet CD - over 100 sheets $10.00  

For the Super 3D Noah's Ark, I'd like 3 copies.
For the source code, I'd like the option for the single DVD with all code on it.
For the manuals, boxes and stickers, I'd like 3 of each. One to display, one to keep stored forever and a backup.
For everything else I'd like a single copy of each.

Thanks a lot, I've been wanting these items for a long time, I hope you had fun owning the company for a little while.

After that I got this reply from her:

Hello,

I did have fun owning the company "for a little while". lol. Actually, I went to work for WT in Jan 1991 and did the initial sell in of Bible Adventures. I became Sales Supervisor of WT in 1992. My husband and I bought it in 1997 and have owned it ever since. I sold it because I want it to go on into a new era. I am keeping the history and pictorial portion of Wisdom Tree and Color Dreams. I will send you a new list when it is ready.

I will work up the order tomorrow. I will send it to you and if it is ok, then I will forward it to the new owners. They will send you an invoice to be paid on paypal..

Thanks for the order, 

Brenda Huff

Things were going great and I was happy to get my order filled. Especially for all the source code, I'm pretty sure nobody has actually seen the developer source code for these games so that would be really cool to have. She sent me a confirmation of the order and pulled all the items to be sure she had them in stock. Then she told me the total and once I realized the Super Noah's Ark 3D games weren't old stock, I decided to get only 1 and she sent me a new total of $250 shipped for everything. She also told me that since she sold the company, she no longer has a Paypal address so a money order would be the best way to pay for them. I would never usually do a money order but knowing she is so highly respected and well known in the gaming community, I figured I was safe, there's no way she would scam me right?

For a couple of weeks in October we finalized the deal and started chatting back and forth about how she's retaining the bible side of the company and releasing all of the Wisdom Tree games for the computer on her new website company but didn't know what to call it so I offered a few name ideas and she liked them. Then she tells me she is licensing the questions from Bible Buffet for a TV trivia show and I'm the first to hear about it. Cool!

Then it starts to get interesting. I send her the money order for $250 and get this reply from her after she receives it on November 5, 2015. 

Thanks for the payment. I will email you the tracking number when I ship it. Have a great weekend. 

Brenda Huff

A week later I hadn't heard anything so I ask if she got the payment and if she had a tracking number, she sends me this:

Yes, I got the money order and your order is ready to go out tomorrow. Wednesday was a holiday (Veteran's Day) so I had to go today.  I have to pick up a couple pictures I am putting in for you. Thanks again. I will email you the tracking number as soon as I mail it.

Brenda Huff

Two weeks later I still hadn't heard anything so I email her again asking for a tracking number and get this:

I apologize, I had virus problems with my computer and have just gotten it cleaned up. I think someone is praying for patience for me (tribulation works patience) and if I find them they are in big trouble. I will get it out first of the week. Thursday is our Thanksgiving so realistically I will not get it ready until then.

Sorry.

Brenda Huff

WTF? And that was the last email I received from her, on November 24 2015. I have sent her multiple emails since then, sent her my address 3 times and brought the money order receipt to my bank to do a trace to be sure it was cashed. Does anyone know this woman to be able to find out what happened? Did something terrible happen to her and I just don't know? Is she kind of flakey like this? I simply don't get it, we had a great flow back and forth until I sent her payment and then poof, she disappeared.

I contacted Pico to ask if she contacted him about making the SNES game for me and he said she had but hadn't put in a formal order for it. He said he was confused about it all as well.

May 10, 2016 at 1:53:15 AM
theirontoupee (35)
(I Need Exertainment ) < Bowser >
Minnesota
That's a bummer! Doesn't she go to various video game conventions? Someone could confront her there maybe

-------------------------
Wanted to Buy!!!:

Always looking for items related to >>>

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread <<<

May 10, 2016 at 1:58:20 AM
bootload (5)

< Eggplant Wizard >
I thought about that myself, eventually I'll make it out to one of them and then what? I don't know why you would risk your name and business name for $250. I don't get it.

May 10, 2016 at 2:11:07 AM
zredgemz (1)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Piko owns a bunch of those titles. he makes them now and it is totally on the level. I hope everything works out for you OP.

Many enemies have fallen by my hand. Hopefully i will never raise my hand against another human being. -Jake Brain

Edited: 05/10/2016 at 02:14 AM by zredgemz

May 10, 2016 at 2:30:04 AM
Lincoln (128)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: zredgemz

Piko owns a bunch of those titles. he makes them now and it is totally on the level. I hope everything works out for you OP.

Piko is banned here because he got caught trying to backdoor another member on ebay. so, "on the level" might be a stretch.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM updates and download thread for .nes info and splitting

May 10, 2016 at 8:14:55 AM
dra600n (281)
(Adym \m/) < Purple Ganon >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Lincoln

Piko is banned here because he got caught trying to backdoor another member on ebay. so, "on the level" might be a stretch.

As well as riddled with basic grammatical and spelling errors.

Not trying to knock the guy, but the quality control isn't there.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

May 10, 2016 at 8:24:18 AM
jonebone (504)
(N64 Fanatic) < Pit >
Maryland
I'm sorry you're going through this, but you entered this transaction with your heart instead of your mind. If she had flakey communication for months on end, why did you suddenly trust her enough to send a money order with no recourse? There were a few red flags here:

1) Her not responding to your emails for "months". You weren't a priority.
2) Selling the company to someone else... the good may not even be hers to sell anymore.
3) Insisting for you to pay with money order.

I hope you somehow recover your money or goods, but unfortunately I think you may be SOL here.

WTB: NM / Mint NES CIBs & Turbografx 16 CIBs
My eBay, 10% Off if sold on NA!  http://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone7...
Now Playing: Steamworld Heist (Wii U)
Recent Beats: Shantae Sequels (3DS & Wii U), Sleeping Dogs (XB1), Link's Awakening DX (GBC)

May 10, 2016 at 8:55:17 AM
dr.robbie (165)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
That's unfortunate man. Hope everything ends up working out for you.

Looking for PS2 Games? Lots for sale here:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 10, 2016 at 9:03:26 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: bootload

So just to be clear, you paid Brenda Huff for a handjob that you never recieved?  I'm sorry to say this, but a handjob for $10 sounds too good to be true.  You know what they say, if it sounds to good to be true...

May 10, 2016 at 9:40:02 AM
Shane (143)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

So just to be clear, you paid Brenda Huff for a handjob that you never recieved?  I'm sorry to say this, but a handjob for $10 sounds too good to be true.  You know what they say, if it sounds to good to be true...

Haha I don't know how I missed that title. Rumor has it the sequel was Rim Job: The Second Cuming

May 10, 2016 at 9:45:26 AM
Br81zad (91)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Shane

Haha I don't know how I missed that title. Rumor has it the sequel was Rim Job: The Second Cuming

I heard rumor of one called ZJ. But I didn't know what exactly it was, which meant I couldn't afford it

May 10, 2016 at 9:55:34 AM
KHAN Games (88)
(Kevin Hanley) < Bowser >
Florida
From her spotty communication I think it's a stretch to say she scammed you. It's not like she's a regular collector. Deals for this sort of stuff can take time. You don't even know for sure that she cashed it.

Hopefully she pops up out of nowhere again and finishes your deal.

May 10, 2016 at 9:59:31 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Fleck586 (144)
(Jason Fleck) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Originally posted by: Br81zad

Originally posted by: Shane

I heard rumor of one called ZJ. But I didn't know what exactly it was, which meant I couldn't afford it

Beerfest reference approved!

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

May 10, 2016 at 10:06:19 AM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I hope everybody reading takes this as a lesson to never use a money order for a general purchase of this nature.

"I don't have a Paypal address" should always be a huge red flag for small-to-medium purchases.
They are easy to get, easy to use, and give the buyer recourse in the event of a sale gone wrong.

May 10, 2016 at 10:14:21 AM
SUBSCRIBER
daillest (205)
(Joe ) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
I've had problems ordering from her in the past. She didn't ship my items until after I filed a paypal dispute. Not sure how you would handle it with a money order. Maybe email her and tell her you are going to a postal fraud case against her?

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

May 10, 2016 at 11:56:48 AM
SUBSCRIBER
MAIL_BAG (98)
(Rip ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
She must not be a Christian.

Listen to the North American Retro Collective (NARC) podcast on iTunes & Libsyn!
Facebook --- Instagram --- Twitter

May 10, 2016 at 12:29:07 PM
XYZ (75)
< King Solomon >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I hope everybody reading takes this as a lesson to never use a money order for a general purchase of this nature.

"I don't have a Paypal address" should always be a huge red flag for small-to-medium purchases.
They are easy to get, easy to use, and give the buyer recourse in the event of a sale gone wrong.

Generally speaking, I agree. But money order was how I secured a Milon's Secret Castle hint book. It was the only way and it worked. I think possibly using certified delivery confirmation on a money order might be useful. I remember 10 years ago when Paypal wasn't the only way to use eBay and money orders and checks were commonplace.

May 10, 2016 at 12:40:32 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: XYZ

Generally speaking, I agree. But money order was how I secured a Milon's Secret Castle hint book. It was the only way and it worked. I think possibly using certified delivery confirmation on a money order might be useful. I remember 10 years ago when Paypal wasn't the only way to use eBay and money orders and checks were commonplace.

I think it was more than 10 years ago that money orders or personal checks were commonplace on eBay, but yeah, I know there was a time that it was more common.

Certified mail would probably make a money order "safe", assuming you were using a postal money order AND you recorded the number so you could report it to the postal inspector if there was an issue.

That said, it would still be a way bigger hassle than a paypal claim.  

And I think the fact remains that "I don't have Paypal" should be a huge red flag for any small-to-medium online transaction.  (plenty of reasons people wouldn't want paypal for a really big transaction -- those are a different beast)

May 10, 2016 at 12:40:56 PM
SUBSCRIBER
cirellio (47)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois

In a situation as unusual as this, I probably would have done the same thing. I mean, getting scammed by Brenda Huff would be like ... like ... getting scammed by Lloyd Kaufman! Well, maybe not quite, but I hope you get my point. Plus her excuse about closing up operations and no longer having a Paypal account makes logical sense. It was an unusual situation and easily worth the risk.

Instagram
Wishlist

May 10, 2016 at 12:42:36 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Stryphos (247)
(Yamato Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan

I remember about 14 years ago I ordered a DVD box set off eBay and paid via Money Order.  As I never received my item, I learned a valuable lesson that day that I personally would never again order something via Money Order.  I'm sorry OP that you had to experience this.  Long live buyer protection!

Haves     |     Wants

May 10, 2016 at 12:51:51 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: cirellio

Plus her excuse about closing up operations and no longer having a Paypal account makes logical sense. It was an unusual situation and easily worth the risk.

I completely disagree.

I makes no logical sense, whatsoever, for a reputable individual to be unable to accept Paypal.

May 10, 2016 at 12:58:09 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (117)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Was it a postal money order? Doesn't taking them and not shipping fall under mail fraud?

Ready for adventure!

May 10, 2016 at 12:58:33 PM
SUBSCRIBER
cirellio (47)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois

Originally posted by: cirellio

Plus her excuse about closing up operations and no longer having a Paypal account makes logical sense. It was an unusual situation and easily worth the risk.

I completely disagree.

I makes no logical sense, whatsoever, for a reputable individual to be unable to accept Paypal.

Agreed that there was nothing stopping her from opening another account. I'm assuming her old Paypal was named after Wisdom Tree in some way or had a company affiliated email or bank account or something. My thoughts were it would be reasonable she felt no need for setting up a new additional Paypal account just for one or two additional transactions. After all, she's likely not a collector, just a businessperson.
But sometimes you've got to try and catch lightning in a bottle.

Instagram
Wishlist

Edited: 05/10/2016 at 12:59 PM by cirellio

May 10, 2016 at 12:59:11 PM
zeldaboy (160)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
Originally posted by: MAIL_BAG

She must not be a Christian.

+1 internets!

May 10, 2016 at 2:04:04 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: Lincoln

What does the wisdom tree games being bought out have anything to do with the nolan thing? Regardless of how you feel, the widom tree buy out has nothing to do with something that happened much later. This buyout was on the level.

Many enemies have fallen by my hand. Hopefully i will never raise my hand against another human being. -Jake Brain