Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What is the gem of your collection? The item(s) in your collection that you like the most.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:21:25 PM
J.B.H (5)
(Jonatan Bjerke Hermansson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Sweden
So i decided to start this thread because i couldn't find one that existed already.
And it is in my opinion a nice thread to have, because everybody has something in their collection that is very special to them.

So what is the gem of your collection?

It does not have to be the most valuable item.
It can be something that you loved the most growing up,.
Or something that took you a long time to find, and now you finally have it. 

So there are no rules for what the gem of your collection could be or for what reasons.
It can be a poster, game, trophy, memorbilia etc. 
As long as it is a part of your collection (videogame related).

It would also be nice if everyone posted a picture of their gem.

-Jonatan

-------------------------

Edited: 12/07/2013 at 11:50 AM by J.B.H

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:30:00 PM
adamthegamer (60)
(Adam Erickson) < Meka Chicken >
South Dakota
Action 52 for NES in it's box. It sparked the curiousity that led me to doing unhealthy amounts of research to find one it's developers and reaching the pinnacle of fame by being mentioned by that Gametrailers narriator in a Pop Fiction episode...

...yeah...those were the days!

Also, 500th Post!

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:30:04 PM
J.B.H (5)
Sweden
The gem of my collection is my copy of Rodland for the NES.
Because it took me a long time to find.
And i love the game (my favorite NES game).

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:35:06 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Off the top of my head, my Stan Lee signed X-Men NES cart.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:35:10 PM
adamthegamer (60)
(Adam Erickson) < Meka Chicken >
South Dakota
Never heard of Rodland before, looks interesting, I'll have to give that one a shot on my Powerpak when it gets here!

@ Wizard- Dude, that's really cool! Did he say anything when he saw it!

Edited: 11/24/2012 at 08:35 PM by adamthegamer

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:43:07 PM
nintendowayne (18)
(Wayne Mendoza) < Meka Chicken >
Louisiana
I'm about to have Ninja Turtles 1&2 CIBs signed by Kevin Eastman. I was hoping to get the 3rd CIB but I don't think its going to happen in time. Once those a framed together, it'll be the gem though.

no signature

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:48:25 PM
DreamStar (17)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Bryan Sensei) < King Solomon >
United States
My gem is my Nintendo World Championships cart.My second is tied between Donkey kong Competition ,and Star Fox SuperWeekend!

Do unto other's as you have them do unto you: Matthew 7:12

Edited: 12/02/2012 at 05:44 PM by DreamStar

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:49:05 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Drug Czar artwork:

I got these back in early 2007, just months before NGD unveiled his findings (of which I saw during my time exchanging emails with the person I contacted to get this, though I didn't have much money at the time, soI only snagged the 5 Drug Czar original art pieces, King Neptune's Adventure (black cart), Castle of Deceit, Tagin' Dragon uncirculated box, Color Dreams demo VHS, and some other things. I remember seeing Happy Camper stuff before any info/artwork of it was released on the internet, it was a remarkable time

Edited: 11/24/2012 at 08:54 PM by NESMASTER14

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:52:59 PM
Rickstar22 (24)
(Be The Ball ) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
As of right now, it's gotta be my Sharp NES TV's....Yup 2...

Until I get some of the uber tough stuff, this is it !!!

546 NES Licensed CIB's and Still Going Strong !!!

My Wanted Thread... Finish up my CIB BB Collection, SNES/NES Manuals & MORE : http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

My Collection thread... http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&...

My Collection List... http://www.nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=My.Collectio...

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:57:14 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: adamthegamer

@ Wizard- Dude, that's really cool! Did he say anything when he saw it!

Yeah, he was like "what the hell is this"

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:01:51 PM
WolfAlmighty (3)
(Wolfgang Abenteuer) < Lolo Lord >
Washington
Zelda 1 cart. I got it the day I got my Nintendo (Christmas day, 1987) and to this day seeing the title screen and hearing the intro music gives me chills. It represents everything I love about Nintendo, NES collecting, and gaming.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:07:37 PM
Black_Towr (59)
(Frank O.) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Nin10d0h Wayne

I'm about to have Ninja Turtles 1&2 CIBs signed by Kevin Eastman. I was hoping to get the 3rd CIB but I don't think its going to happen in time. Once those a framed together, it'll be the gem though.
That will look awesome when you get these framed. Being a huge TMNT fan i've met Eastman & Laird a couple times. Really good guys.

To make this post relevant much like WolfAlmighty i still have my childhood games and that Zelda cart was my best friend when i was younger.

Edited: 11/24/2012 at 09:09 PM by Black_Towr

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:11:26 PM
J.B.H (5)
Sweden
Nice to see that so many people are posting.
And you all have very nice items and little stories to go along with them in my opinion

@Rickstar22
That TV is really cool.
Wish i had one.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:14:18 PM
dialupgamer (33)
(cameron marsh) < Meka Chicken >
Iowa
Probably my test cart. Largely because I found it at a garage sale. Couldn't have been more excited

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:18:14 PM
retroneshunter (2)

(Rob Berndl) < Crack Trooper >
United States
TMNT hyperstone heist for genesis. I cant even begin to count how many hours I had in that game as a kid and it never got old playing with friends.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:18:22 PM
Rickstar22 (24)
(Be The Ball ) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Originally posted by: dialupgamer

Probably my test cart. Largely because I found it at a garage sale. Couldn't have been more excited
Very high on my want list, actually #1 right now... Very nice !!!

546 NES Licensed CIB's and Still Going Strong !!!

My Wanted Thread... Finish up my CIB BB Collection, SNES/NES Manuals & MORE : http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

My Collection thread... http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&...

My Collection List... http://www.nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=My.Collectio...

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:18:41 PM
Colorado Rockie (33)

(ANDREW ) < Meka Chicken >
California
My gem is my U.S. Metal Slug X on Neo Geo AES.

My Nintendo gem is a CIB Bubble Bath Babes

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:20:13 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida
What type of Gem? rarity or like my personal favorite?

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:46:29 PM
Soera (163)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Oklahoma
Well, it took a bit of looking around ... but the most prized piece of my collection would have to be my full size stand display for the release of Final Fantasy XII - It has my daughter's actual day of birth printed right on it (10/31/06)

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:47:01 PM
uiengineer (220)
(jeff .) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Colorado Rockie

My gem is my U.S. Metal Slug X on Neo Geo AES.

Mine is MS3 or MS5 for AES.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:56:14 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
I have a couple gems but one that stands out is my minto factory sealed little Samson !!

Edited: 11/24/2012 at 09:56 PM by XYZ

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:00:04 PM
Minister Mishkin (68)
(Andy R) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
My Boxed Sega CDX

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:03:52 PM
sheikah (58)
(Herb Dorr) < Meka Chicken >
New Jersey
Mine is my sealed copy of Resident Evil: Gaiden.

George Costanza Sex Bonanza

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:15:33 PM
AceEbb (171)
(Jeff T) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
The gem of my collection is, quite honestly, is this little prize pictured below.

Here's the story:
When I was 13 I borrowed NES Metroid from a kid at my school. I absolutely fell in love with the game, and played it for hours upon hours, sometimes playing to beat it, sometimes goofing around, but always just loving the experience. The game was so eerie to me, with the dark background and the sci-fi theme and the weird glitches like the wall-door trick... it just had my imagination hooked so badly. So finally it's time to give the game back, the kid was asking for it to be returned. But I know in my heart that he doesn't love the game like I do. He was one of those kids who had parents who would buy him whatever he asked for, and he had probably a hundred or more games, so I knew he didn't need it and wouldn't miss it if it were gone. And back then, we had very little money in my household (my mom still talks about the struggle it was just to afford my NES that glorious Xmas 1987... and how it was all I had asked for... but that's a story for another time).
So what do I do, I want the game, but the kid is asking for it back. Well, this copy of Metroid didn't have the proprietary security screws, so a lightbulb struck in my head! What if I unscrewed it and swapped the game with another cartridge? I searched my rather small collection for another game that didn't require the security bit and hit upon good old SMB1 which I had long ago tired of. And wah-lah! I switches out the roms and screwed everything back. There was a nervous moment when I returned the imposter game to that kid (his name was Dolf)... actually nervous for days afterward waiting for him to confront me about the scheme... but that day never came. As I'd suspected, he had so many games that he apparently never noticed, or maybe never noticed until long afterwards, at which point he was possibly just confused about why SMB was firing up in his NES instead of Metroid. To avoid confusing my little sister, I removed the label so she'd know there was no SMB in there, which she still liked to play. She actually complained to my mom about my heist, but that turned out fine since my mom just went ahead and grabbed a SMB/DH from Funco for a buck.
And that is the story behind the sentimental gem of my collection, the game I loved so much that it inspired me to commit a devious crime. I still have it, I could never and will never part with it, and I place it on the special shelf of my NES collection where my sealed games and homebrews are featured. If there were a fire in the house, I would probably run downstairs and fetch that game before doing anything else.

Photobucket

Edited: 11/24/2012 at 10:31 PM by AceEbb

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:35:53 PM
the_hudge27 (52)
(Shawn M) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Probably my CIB Earthbound I bought when the game first came out.