Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

earthbound tester cart: is it actually the real deal looking to confirm that it's the real thing

Jul 12 at 1:55:02 AM
8bithustler (51)
(Brandon Rose) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
As some may know, my wife surprised me with a earthbound cart and book. Needless to say the book has a game counselor guide sticker on the front, and the cart is supposed to be the accompanying tester cart.

I took 2 pictures of the board. I really hope that we didn't get ripped off on this. She bought it from a local comic book and video game store here in Washington. I have pictures of the book if anyone needs those too. Thanks in advance.

Update 7/12: I got in touch with the store she bought it from. The game is a retail, but it was part of the game counselors setup. The game was the one that the game counselors used with the book. I uploaded the pictures of the book so you can see the UPC sticker.

The story is this came from a former Nintendo employee who sold it to them as a package set. I'm having wata grade it and verify the book. But if anyone can give me more insight I would be in their debt.

-------------------------
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result - Albert Einstein

Edited: 07/12/2019 at 07:33 PM by 8bithustler

Jul 12 at 2:16:36 AM
Archon 1981 (20)
(Stephan Reese) < Meka Chicken >
California
that looks like the retail board to me...

That isn't to say that it couldnt have been used in testing. Just because something is the final board revision, doesnt automatically exclude it from having been used in pre-production

I will say however, the last earthbound board *I* saw in the hands of a game play counselor was on one of the extra long dev boards.

Listen on Sound Cloud: https://soundcloud.com/collectors...
Listen on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podca...
Find me on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/archon1...

Edited: 07/12/2019 at 02:21 AM by Archon 1981

Jul 12 at 5:33:27 PM
unish25 (0)
(Shinu Chacko) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
Check this reddit thread out it includes links to pics. It looks like the retail to me as well....

https://www.reddit.com/r/earthbound/comments/62hm3c/earthbou...

Jul 14 at 8:18:28 PM
hoisinberg (0)
< Crack Trooper >
It's only special for the context in which it was used. It might have more value if you can get a letter from counselor to establish chain of ownership. otherwise, it's just a production car.

Jul 14 at 9:37:50 PM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
The game counselors collection

Edited: 07/14/2019 at 09:38 PM by phart010

Jul 14 at 10:52:42 PM
hoisinberg (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: phart010

Better pedigree than any I've seen.

Jul 15 at 9:23:28 AM
romiked2689 (60)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland
Originally posted by: hoisinberg

That would only work if a certain game counselor were to have tons of sealed high grade items to be considered a pedigree. I bought one of the pikachu statues from a game tester that has carried it to the east coast with him and he had tons and tons of sealed games. If he were to grade everything Wata would probably recognize it 

Jul 15 at 9:26:04 AM
hoisinberg (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: romiked2689

That would only work if a certain game counselor were to have tons of sealed high grade items to be considered a pedigree. I bought one of the pikachu statues from a game tester that has carried it to the east coast with him and he had tons and tons of sealed games. If he were to grade everything Wata would probably recognize it 
Oh.

I didn't realize we were being serious.

Jul 15 at 9:34:59 AM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

Originally posted by: romiked2689

Oh.

I didn't realize we were being serious.

Metoo 

Jul 15 at 9:53:15 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Not out of the realm of possibility. Some of the issues of NP the guys had at their desks were issues that were RTS. I know sometimes in the early days they would have to go buy copies of games that weren't released directly by Nintendo. And then there was the internal store where they could buy stuff from NoA, so I could see someone who was into that game having their own copy but not being the localizer or being on the R&D team, meaning beta tester.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Jul 15 at 11:42:48 AM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
This is from the store where you could check out games as an employee or for game play counselor purposes. These were all eventually sold an a Nintendo employee garage sale or given away to employees in rarer circumstances.

This is not an internal testing piece, just one of the items you could check out at the store for free there as an employee at one time.

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...