Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How long after GameStop is gone?

Apr 14 at 8:14:46 PM
hoisinberg (0)

< Crack Trooper >
The demise of GameStop is inevitable. Once it does disappear, how long will it take before gamers go all misty-eyed and nostalgic, and whine about "the good old days" and how much they miss it?

Apr 14 at 8:25:34 PM
gunpei (9)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Illinois
Like people do for Blockbuster now? Five years, tops

Apr 14 at 8:34:55 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Five years sounds about right maybe ten since. EB Games has become more of a toy store here in Canada. So toys and collectables might be enough to keep them alive longer.

Apr 14 at 8:36:52 PM
goombagamer103 (1)
< Tourian Tourist >
Florida
The thing is places like Blockbuster people are nostalgic for because they used to like going there But no one has ever really liked GameStop so I don't know how many people will really care after their gone.

Apr 14 at 8:40:37 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Richardhead (10)
< Kraid Killer >
I'm gonna miss paying for a service I don’t ever use...

Edited: 04/14/2019 at 08:41 PM by Richardhead

Apr 14 at 8:47:39 PM
AtariJay (0)
(jbob h) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
I love game stop, 4 - $9.99 games for $16. You can't beat their prices.

Apr 14 at 9:00:04 PM
NESnostalgia (23)

(Mike ) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I'm guilty as anyone shopping online and streaming movies, but it doesnt mean I dont miss the days of going to block buster or the local video store. It was a part of growing up. Gamestop wont be the same since I seldom go there, but there is something special about going to a physical store and interacting with people.

Apr 14 at 9:15:24 PM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
I don't go to Gamestop but I will always hate seeing places close. I also don't shop online besides buying a old retro game item from time to time. My wife constantly shops online. I personally am not a fan of it but it just the way it is for the most part. I saw something several years ago that said in the next twenty years a vast majority of stores we have will have to close due to online buying. I hope that doesn't happen but who knows.

Apr 14 at 10:08:05 PM
NesQuest (6)
< Crack Trooper >
I already miss it.

Apr 14 at 10:10:29 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (104)
(Douglas Glover) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
The time to start collecting games with Gamestop stickers on them is now! GOGOGO BUY BUYBUY!

-------------------------

Apr 14 at 10:41:41 PM
dry_bowser (14)
< Eggplant Wizard >
India
I just walked into GameStop yesterday and their prices are shit. $30 for loose copies of Super Mario 64 DS and New Super Mario Bros DS. Not to mention tons of games with shitty black replacement cases and no original artwork. I'm pretty sure I won't miss them at all.

Apr 14 at 11:01:38 PM
Scrobins09 (6)
(Sean ) < Crack Trooper >
District of Columbia
The Funcoland that turned into a GameStop near me was always awful. You could ask about a game and the guy working the counter wouldn't even turn to look before saying they didn't have it, which sucked when I was just a little kid excited to spend the change I'd been saving for months. One day I asked about an NES game and the guy said "no one buys that antique crap anymore."

Long rant short, I don't think GameStop will be missed because it wasn't good enough long enough before the Internet made it possible to buy a larger selection of games without having to buy from some teenager that didn't give a damn about you.

Apr 14 at 11:21:36 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I'm going to miss getting good, previous gen games for a few bucks each. No matter how much you hate Gamestop, there is no better source for cheap, previous gen games.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Apr 14 at 11:51:51 PM
SUBSCRIBER
PuppyWaffles (114)
(Matt ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
Watching Gamestop's stock prices go crazy and watching all the bad ways they are spending money they are headed down a bad path. That being said they are a huge company and they will just file bankruptcy and start over if it gets too bad.

Got some Japanese N64 CIBs you wanna sell in good condition? I'm probably your guy!

Apr 14 at 11:53:40 PM
SUBSCRIBER
ALTQQ (78)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Garbystop has got to go

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Apr 15 at 12:22:20 AM
DefaultGen (26)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I guess I'm not 11 years old but what is there to be nostalgic about for Gamestop? Incomplete games? Years old games still selling for $19.99? Getting hassled by employees?

I'd be as nostalgic for GS as I would the DMV disappearing.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #117: Collector's Quiz

Apr 15 at 2:45:56 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Actually...I have nostalgia for Gamestop...at least the Gamestop of my youth. I mean I regret trading in my old Nintendo consoles and games for newer consoles...but I do have some fond memories of my mom taking me to Gamestop so I could pick out a game or two. Then on the car ride home...read the manuals...

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Apr 15 at 6:09:49 AM
jonebone (545)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
They have like $1B in cash equivalents and still make money every quarter paying dividends. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon, still profitable. They'll downsize and restructure if anything. Already moving heaving into collectibles as expected, and that field is growing returns every quarter.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Apr 15 at 8:25:02 AM
Scrobins09 (6)
(Sean ) < Crack Trooper >
District of Columbia
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

I guess I'm not 11 years old but what is there to be nostalgic about for Gamestop? Incomplete games? Years old games still selling for $19.99? Getting hassled by employees?

I'd be as nostalgic for GS as I would the DMV disappearing.

You can have my DMV when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

Apr 15 at 8:36:48 AM
Quaze (114)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Ehh, I'll remember GS, but not with the same fondness as Blockbuster. You're right though they'll be dead in the water within 5 years or less. I'm guessing we'll see a big downsize and restructure, and then that downsize/restructure/rename disappearing not long after that.

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

Apr 15 at 8:38:10 AM
Quaze (114)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: jonebone

They have like $1B in cash equivalents and still make money every quarter paying dividends. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon, still profitable. They'll downsize and restructure if anything. Already moving heaving into collectibles as expected, and that field is growing returns every quarter.
This post will age very poorly lol.

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

Apr 15 at 8:54:40 AM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kyle ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I don't understand the hate for them. I didnt start shopping there until last year because i only played legacy consoles until the switch came out. Theyre used stuff is often times cheaper than even ebay. Especially on the B2G1 days. I mean sure their pitches for warranties and pre-orders are annoying but anyone thats ever worked retail knows theyre forced to do that

Apr 15 at 10:02:42 AM
CaliforniaGamingSD (29)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: leatherrebel5150

I don't understand the hate for them. I didnt start shopping there until last year because i only played legacy consoles until the switch came out. Theyre used stuff is often times cheaper than even ebay. Especially on the B2G1 days. I mean sure their pitches for warranties and pre-orders are annoying but anyone thats ever worked retail knows theyre forced to do that

Agreed. I'm a little nostalgic for EB games/Electonics Boutique, but that is probably just for the price because it was a dif. era. I've never had an issue with Gamestop. Their online site is excellent and their prices are miles better than JJ Games, and DK Oldies. The prices are even better than my local Book Off 90 percent of the time. The one drawback to Gamestop is you don't know what type of retro games you will receive in the mail. If Gamestop learned how to take pictures of their retro and give you a price range like those Japanes stores, they would be fine.

Edited: 04/15/2019 at 10:05 AM by CaliforniaGamingSD

Apr 15 at 10:44:20 AM
Boosted52405 (478)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
As big of PITA's they can be...they likely will find ways to stay relevant for longer than we think. They will continue to get exclusives and have folks walk over burning coals with their trade-in values compared to what they charge for used goods.

Apr 15 at 10:44:23 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

Five years sounds about right maybe ten since. EB Games has become more of a toy store here in Canada. So toys and collectables might be enough to keep them alive longer.
You mean Funko Games???

Haha... There's like 2 walls full of Funko Pops at the EB Games here. It's disgusting.  

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"