Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How do you store your loose handheld games? Such as Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, and Game Gear cartridges?

Feb 10 at 10:00:31 PM
bigdawg8412 (29)
(G P) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I'm wanting to organize my loose handheld cartridge games better for easier access. I currently store them games in a drawer. I'm considering organizing them better in a binder with sleeves to hold each game individually. Something like this. 
https://www.amazon.com/StoreSMART-9-Pocket-Cartridges-10-Pac...

If you have any pics or examples of different ways to store loose handheld games that would be great.

Edited: 02/10/2019 at 10:10 PM by bigdawg8412

Feb 10 at 10:28:31 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (104)
(Douglas Glover) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Strewn about randomly on a shelf in my bedroom. Cart only copies are not worthy of being shown.

But you as a kid I had a binder for came boy games, like Pokemon cards.

-------------------------

Feb 11 at 12:06:52 AM
Splain (25)
< El Ripper >
Arizona
Man this is a great question. Just ignore Gloves, he doesn't even like Tetris.  

Currently, my (several hundred) loose Game Boy Games are sitting in 8 or 9 identical boxes that are 3 carts wide. They fit about 72 carts comfortably, any more than that and it gets hard to rifle through them to find the game I want. They're cardboard boxes that I gleeped from the IT dept at work, they originally housed some sort of Jabra headset. It's pretty low-class, but they really are exactly 3 carts wide and they've been working well enough. I'd love to move to something better. Ideally, something very similar to what NintendoTwizer did: https://imgur.com/a/qr2Qp...

For some reason I've never really taken to the baseball-card binder idea. it just seems kinda sloppy since the games slide around in the slot. And I'd need a LOT of binders to hold my carts.

I like the gray (and black) GB games because they're flat on both sides. They stack well against each other. Clear GBC games, GBA games, Lynx games, NGPC games, and Game Gear games (you can kinda make it work) don't stack well because they're not flat. I guess you can store GG and GBC games in their respective plastic cases, but Nintendo never made anything like that for GBA, so you have to use 3rd party ones. Lynx games don't have anything like that, even aftermarket (that I've seen). So even though I'd love those wooden shelves, I can only store GB, black GBC, and GG games like that unless I want to constantly fight with them and keep them lined up. Maybe something sitting on the inside of the shelf to keep the carts aligned? It makes the binder idea look much better, since the shape of the cart doesn't matter. Until I find something I really like though, I'm just going to keep stealing Jabra boxes from IT.

Feb 11 at 12:13:41 AM
SUBSCRIBER
ALTQQ (77)
(Sean W) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Empty shoebox with the Tapeboy player inside

Feb 11 at 12:41:49 AM
Wheelcakes (13)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
I use a binder to store all my games with baseball card protectors to hold them in. Not sure if its the band i bought but sometimes if i go to pick up the binder the game in the top right corner (row 1 slot 3) the cartridge will fall out of its holder. They seem to out of the 9 on one page one of the slots will be much looser then the others. Hopefully the flap on the protectors yo showed off actually work.

KDDK Player  

Feb 11 at 2:21:28 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Wheelcakes

I use a binder to store all my games with baseball card protectors to hold them in. Not sure if its the band i bought but sometimes if i go to pick up the binder the game in the top right corner (row 1 slot 3) the cartridge will fall out of its holder. They seem to out of the 9 on one page one of the slots will be much looser then the others. Hopefully the flap on the protectors yo showed off actually work.

This is genius.

I'm going to bookmark this for future reference. 

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Feb 11 at 7:59:12 AM
LutherDestroysTheGond (78)
(Grumble Grumble) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Here is a thread where I found some mini-shelves from a store that was closing. I've stored my gameboy and GBA games like this. Not practical to find one, but maybe easily replicated with a similarly sized display shelf

http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Edited: 02/13/2019 at 07:41 AM by LutherDestroysTheGond

Feb 11 at 8:28:40 AM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Nebraska
I used to use the binder method, but I got so many that I needed multiple binders, and also like someone else said, games would fall out, also the binders got heavy and sometimes the holes holding the pages in would rip and I just got fed up with it. Now I just store them in stacks on my regular shelving with all my other games. I have them all in the little Game Boy plastic cases so that helps, but does take up more space too.

Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom

Feb 11 at 8:52:45 AM
SUBSCRIBER
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I do the binder thing. I found coin-collector sheets that are close to the size of GB carts that can hold 12 games per sheet. I have a couple 3" binders and I have one full with about a third of the other one used.

I do have the issue with the games on the top row sometimes falling out. And reordering games when I get new ones is a huge pain that I tend to put off for a long time. Other than that, I dig the binders and the ability to flip through them and see the art easily.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 118
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #119 - Boulder Dash
Latest Post - 3/15/19 - #113 - High Speed
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Feb 11 at 12:59:21 PM
DefaultGen (24)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I used to have this super cheap DIY shelf with my favorites, but I ran out of room and had to take it down for storage space for bigger stuff.

Now I just have a drawer with everything and 3D printed alphabetic spacers so I can find things easily. I agree that Game Boy carts aren't really worth displaying (compared to almost anything else) and like the 4 that are can just sit in a little stand on a real shelf.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #114:
So You Want to Collect for the Sega Saturn

Edited: 02/11/2019 at 01:01 PM by DefaultGen

Feb 11 at 2:10:33 PM
Brock Landers (55)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
DS cases

Or custom DS-like cases

Think I have a pic from years ago buried somewhere. 

edit: Not the best but you get the gist of it.

Edited: 02/11/2019 at 02:15 PM by Brock Landers

Feb 11 at 2:21:46 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The User Formerly Known As Joseph Leo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
I don't have enough to display, but if I did I'd buy a few of those acrylic nail polish display cases. Maybe even throw an LED strip under it for effect.

Feb 11 at 4:07:47 PM
Splain (25)
< El Ripper >
Arizona
I've also considered doing something like this: https://i.redd.it/my58qe76ljc01.j...

You basically shrink the original box art and print it onto sturdy paper, maybe photo paper, and when it's folded it's just big enough to fit the cart into it. Then they don't take up a lot of space, you can see the game title from the top/side, and they're protected from dust. But it's a ton of work per game.

Feb 11 at 4:31:23 PM
gunpei (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Illinois

Feb 11 at 5:15:54 PM
SUBSCRIBER
MuNKeY (134)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
sammich baggies like lazy people do

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Feb 11 at 9:29:35 PM
bluzebrother11 (21)
(Mark ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Baseball card 3-ring binder

Feb 11 at 11:50:25 PM
rlh (62)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I keep my 450+ GB carts in a large, but flat, Amazon.com box. Amazon boxes are codes so tomorrow I'll have to check which size it is, but I cut strips of cardboard to make rows and so far I been able to fit all of my carts in one box, though Inknow by the end of my collecting I'll need a bigger box. Anyway, the box is about half an inch taller than a cart, and Amazon has about 3-4 boxes that height, so you can probably find one that's right for any collection. If I didn't have this solution, I'd probably dump the many baseball cards I have and just use those boxes, but IMHO there's just to much wasted space with those, or you have to pack some in sideways which just feels unorganized to me. Regarding Game Gear games, I only have about 30 (but growing) but they have to be neatly aligned in stacks or rows. So, yeah, keeping OG Game Gear cases on hand is a must.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST <-- Buying A Bit of Everything

Feb 12 at 1:52:33 AM
gunpei (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Illinois
a box ... that's flat??

Feb 12 at 12:39:08 PM
AstralOrange (48)
(Kraken Soup) < Bowser >
New York
Big zip lock bags.

Feb 12 at 2:00:55 PM
rlh (62)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: rlh

I keep my 450+ GB carts in a large, but flat, Amazon.com box. Amazon boxes are codes so tomorrow I'll have to check which size it is, but I cut strips of cardboard to make rows and so far I been able to fit all of my carts in one box, though Inknow by the end of my collecting I'll need a bigger box. Anyway, the box is about half an inch taller than a cart, and Amazon has about 3-4 boxes that height, so you can probably find one that's right for any collection. If I didn't have this solution, I'd probably dump the many baseball cards I have and just use those boxes, but IMHO there's just to much wasted space with those, or you have to pack some in sideways which just feels unorganized to me. Regarding Game Gear games, I only have about 30 (but growing) but they have to be neatly aligned in stacks or rows. So, yeah, keeping OG Game Gear cases on hand is a must.

Here are the boxes I have from Amazon that I've used in the past.  The inside of the box is about 3.5" tall.  The box type is a P8 B72 for the big one.  I put 56 games in one row but you can probably get 58 in there snug.  That's 504-522 games per box.  Of course, these boxes from Amazon are actually kind of rare.  I'm not sure what we bought to get this, but the smaller ones that are about 3.75" tall are pretty common.  If you only have 50-100 games, then those are easy to come by.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST <-- Buying A Bit of Everything

Feb 12 at 2:07:10 PM
Teluin (3)
< Little Mac >
Canada
I don't have that many GB games, but I use a nail polish display stand.

Feb 12 at 3:17:29 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Illinois
I use the Shadowfox Game boy cases from Custom Game Cases. On the outside, they are designed to be the exact same size and color as Nintendo DS cases. On the inside, they have a slot for holding, Game Boy, Game Boy Color or Game Boy Advance, along with a place to hold a manual (DS cases cannot hold most GB manuals). They are great quality, and ready to print covers are available for most games. As a plus, they can also hold Atari Lynx and Neo Geo Pocket Color games.

https://www.customgamecases.com/...

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Feb 12 at 3:43:26 PM
acidjaguar (657)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
Store them in wooden wine boxes like me.... seems to have worked well so far:

And here's my Gameboy color set I'm working through:

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

Feb 12 at 3:44:37 PM
D~Funk (77)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
Im a sucker for little Hori cases. Here's my end table in my bedroom. Have most all my GBA, DS, 3DS, Switch and Vita games ready to play whenever. I don't usually keep any loose games when it comes to these systems so i have the boxes in the gameroom. I just enjoy the convenience of not having to bust into those whenever i wanna play somethin.

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Edited: 02/12/2019 at 03:45 PM by D~Funk

Feb 12 at 8:01:02 PM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
I use a tea bag organizer that some youtube channel recommended (Don't remember which one). They come in rows of 3 individual clear drawers, and you can stack multiples.  I started with the 4 pack to save a little money per unit and it fits all my loose games, but not all my cased ones.  Each drawer holds 19 loose games or 11 cased games for a total of 57 loose or 33 cased per unit.
https://www.amazon.com/mDesign-Co...

Collecting every US Original Gameboy game - Currently 237/510
Collecting every non-kids Philips CDi game - Currently 42/126

Catch me on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/floatingpla...