Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The different dimensions of "rare"

Feb 10 at 2:00:07 PM
GPX (1)

< Eggplant Wizard >
“Rare” is a term I’d wager to be the most commonest word used on Ebay. I’m sure we’ve all used this term when doing item searches or perhaps when doing some selling of items. Not sure if everyone is on the same page with its definition, so I’d thought I’d do a summary. Rarity has varying aspects:

1. Production numbers of a particular title - low numbers produced are often due to it being unpopular and/or being produced near the end of a console’s lifespan.

2. Condition status - when referring to rare, it is about the closeness to perfection as the human eye can see. This is where the focus of MIB and sealed collectors, and as a further extension, VGA/WATA collectors.

3. Special variations, that are low in numbers (variant collectors). There are several subsets of rare variants, examples:
- prototypes
- misprints
- limited editions
- autographs

Question of the day: which type of rare are you focusing on? Or which ones fascinate you the most? 

(Fun fact: you can make rhymes of the word rare with the first 4 letters of the alphabet - aware, bare, care, dare!)

Feb 10 at 2:57:05 PM
hybrid (44)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Hrm #3 b
Misprints all the way

-------------------------

Feb 10 at 3:53:39 PM
phart010 (5)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I don't agree that rare as a stand-alone adjective can refer to condition. Ok, if you say something is rarely seen in mint condition that's one thing. But just saying "rare" alone is usually an indication of production numbers of a particular item.

My want list: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

My stuff for sale:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

Seeking Sealed Refurbished by Nintendo games for Wii/U, (3)DS with red stripe
New SMB, New SMB+Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Pikmin NewPlay Ctrl, Mario 3D World, Kirby Epic Yarn
Need:MarioKart DS/Wii/8, Luigi U, Metroid Trilogy

Feb 10 at 4:31:32 PM
SUBSCRIBER
MuNKeY (133)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
Again, I think rare is for items not readily available for public purchase so I guess #3?

Also anymore "limited edition" doesn't mean shit anymore as just about any of them can be found at any given time online especially for modern stuff. Insane prices yes but still available.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Feb 10 at 9:44:44 PM
PowerPlayers (84)
(The User Formerly Known As Joseph Leo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Rare is what it needs to be.

I tend to group things into four bundles these days. Common, Uncommon, Rare, and "Collectors Item" which is basically a catch all for any item that is priced above the general popular same-genre Games. That can apply to a $5 game or a $1000 game as long as it's more expensive than most of the popular games of the same genre.

Going off on a tangent there. Sorry.

Anyway. Rare is just something that is sought after for the sole purpose of it being hard to find. It doesn't have to be a good product to qualify but it does have to be hard to find. There are varying degrees of rarity within the word rare, all of which still boil down to rare in general.

Stadium Events, Nigel Mansells Racing, Some time to think alone, these are all rare and sought after...

What happened to my book? Click Here

Edited: 02/10/2019 at 09:46 PM by PowerPlayers

Feb 11 at 2:28:15 AM
GPX (1)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: phart010

I don't agree that rare as a stand-alone adjective can refer to condition. Ok, if you say something is rarely seen in mint condition that's one thing. But just saying "rare" alone is usually an indication of production numbers of a particular item.
I think by default, everyone understands “rare” as low in numbers (produced) or a title very infrequently seen.
Though if we’re talking condition, it can be talked about similarly by the measure of low in numbers seen. For example:
Mario 64 CIB used condition - common right?
Mario 64 MIB - uncommon right?
Mario 64 sealed - dare I say, “rare”?
Mario 64 VGA 95+ - hypergrail “rare”??

Feb 11 at 2:33:41 AM
GPX (1)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: MuNKeY

Again, I think rare is for items not readily available for public purchase so I guess #3?

Also anymore "limited edition" doesn't mean shit anymore as just about any of them can be found at any given time online especially for modern stuff. Insane prices yes but still available.
Agree with what you’re saying about “limited edition”. That’s why we need to define rare in it’s basic definition - something that is seen very infrequently. This will help us to distinguish between “limited edition BS rare” and “limited edition worth selling a left kidney for”!

Feb 11 at 7:35:03 AM
romiked2689 (51)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland
I'm in category 3 items I'm not supposed to have my hands on 

Edited: 02/11/2019 at 07:41 AM by romiked2689

Feb 11 at 8:44:37 AM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Think a lot has to do with the audience you are directing it towards and directed from. If I was chatting with a fellow Gameboy collector say entry level they may use the term "rare" for a nib DMG-01. Now take that same conversation and insert my buddy Nexmetal in place of entry level collector and rare would likely never come up in any of our convos but especially that one. It's not a matter of us not discussing "rare" items it's the fact our gauge on rare is off the charts.
eBay the general seller using "rare" is a noncollector or a collector seeking a unseasoned buyer. Like anything else collectible it's just a loosely used term that is hardly used the way seasoned collectors see fit. Think it's less based on the item these days and commonly based on the seller or targeted market. Shameless plug: Have a rare hard to find collectors item near mint Gameboy. Should add it's used missing the original screen and has Todd written on the back. Like this one to: rare hard to find New collectors item Gameboy. Box is opened to test console. Think these ones are always fun.

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

Feb 11 at 8:54:00 AM
SUBSCRIBER
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I'll tell you one thing. These discussions about the word "rare" are common around here.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 113
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #114 - Dirty Harry
Latest Post - 2/8/19 - #109 - The Terminator
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Feb 11 at 1:20:46 PM
gunpei (8)
< Kraid Killer >
Illinois
Originally posted by: GPX

(Fun fact: you can make rhymes of the word rare with the first 4 letters of the alphabet - aware, bare, care, dare!)
eclair
fare
glare
hare

Feb 11 at 2:05:43 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: gunpei

eclair
fare
glare
hare

impair

Feb 11 at 2:29:28 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Some people say "rare" as you'll rarely see due to it being a common game that everyone wants as soon as a vendor puts it out for sale out in the wild.

I personally just call those items ones with little to no shelf life. lol

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Feb 11 at 2:30:27 PM
Gex (37)
(Ryley Rolls ) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Everything is perspective I guess. The term rare is one of the loosest words in the game though

<<< My TurboGrafx 16 ISO

Feb 11 at 4:01:48 PM
DefaultGen (24)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Depends on how old the games are really. For older rare games I tend to think of Jetpac and Battletoads, but for newer stuff I think of Viva Pinata and BK: Nuts and Bolts.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #111: Collectors Talking About the $100,000 Super Mario Bros.

Edited: 02/11/2019 at 04:01 PM by DefaultGen

Feb 11 at 4:18:34 PM
GPX (1)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: Br81zad

Originally posted by: gunpei

eclair
fare
glare
hare

impair

Awesome team poetry guys!

and....damn you letter j!

Feb 12 at 12:24:51 AM
dewisp02 (73)
(Mr. Jason) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
When I hear "rare", I think how long you want your meat cooked (doneness). haha. Seriously... another conversation about this!!! Drives me crazy hearing people call some things rare that are only uncommon.

-Wanted NES: Box- Bubble Bobble 2, Chubby Cherub, Color A Dinosaur, Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt, Volleyball
                     Manual- Dragon Fighter, 
Jetson's, Operation Secret Storm, SCAT, Stack Up, Stinger, Sword Master, Wayne's World
                     Manual and Box- Arkanoid, Bomberman II, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Little Ninja Brothers, Mickey in Numberland, Pro Sport Hockey, Sqoon, Ultimate Soccer League

Feb 12 at 11:40:04 AM
Splain (25)
< El Ripper >
Arizona
Well then, how do you guys like your steaks? I've been a medium-rare guy for a while, but I recently had a pretty rare steak at a family member's house and it was great. I don't know if I'd want to try rarer than that though. So maybe I don't prefer Donkey-Kong-Competition-cart rare, but more of a Beethoven-for-Game-Boy rare.

Feb 13 at 12:34:56 AM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
Using your 3 choices I can't agree with the 2nd one except in the case that it already fell into #1 or #3. Just because something is in immaculate shape whether the game, manual, poster, or box, or some combo of that, doesn't make it rare unless it was already rare due to a low run, variation, or some weird case of loss such as like Tengen Tetris going down in legal flames. Like how many sealed up spotless copies of that still exist?

#1 is the one I'd agree as the most common use of the point of rare, though with #3 variations, errors, or leaked prototypes would likely be too. While an early game should get a larger run to disqualify it like Mario Land on Gameboy, the very last Gameboy game in the US was Pokemon Yellow and it got a massive run which is an oddity compared to other later run stuff on other systems like Little Samson. You can also get rarity from it lacking being in a big market, back on Gameboy there is Trip World, a later run sunsoft title and that one gets crazy money as you go up in completion. But end and start of life isn't just it, you also have games the publisher has lacking confidence at in any period of time so they'll do probably a minimum run guessing maybe ten thousand copies, and then you get a situation like Amazing Tater on Gameboy and it's an expensive thing to get piece by piece or at once. There's just lots of reasons why something is rare so it's hard to really nail down the why.

The problem is the fake rare, the stuff people put the L@@K goggles on or write it's RARE in their sale on ebay to scare up uninformed or misinformed types to pay more, that's where the problem lies.

Feb 13 at 11:19:41 PM
skinnygrinny (55)
(a.k.a. the grinder a.k.a. kobra kai! a.k.a. 42 foot tapewoRm) < Bowser >
Florida
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

Depends on how old the games are really. For older rare games I tend to think of Jetpac and Battletoads, but for newer stuff I think of Viva Pinata and BK: Nuts and Bolts.

C’mon you know video games aren’t rare   

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Feb 15 at 12:44:03 AM
Kuriatsu (1)

< Little Mac >
I typically fall into category 3: subset 1: prototypes.
So much interesting stuff so far