Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Whats going on with SNES games on Gamestop? (to me at least) insanely low prices compared to a year ago (on certain staple games)

Oct 10 at 11:37:27 PM
Diamante Loco (145)
(gblock mountaineer) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Just got to looking and they have some insanely low prices on some staple games...

here are some screenshots from just a few minutes ago...

I went looking at the non-first party titles and they're still high (TMNT TiT, FF3, etc)

Is it SNES Classic related or just they bought up so many copies of those they are having a hard time moving them?

-------------------------

The User formally known as g_block. Same nice guy, different name :-)

Oct 10 at 11:39:40 PM
Archangel3090 (35)
< Meka Chicken >
Manitoba
I think we've reached a point in the game cycle where condition is king. If your game isnt 7/10 or better no one will buy it. Maybe gamestops liquidating their garbage

Oct 11 at 1:00:05 AM
OptOut (5)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < El Ripper >
Taiwan
Originally posted by: Archangel3090

I think we've reached a point in the game cycle where condition is king. If your game isnt 7/10 or better no one will buy it. Maybe gamestops liquidating their garbage

Yeah, they are probably realising that this whole venture is not worth the bother and remembering the reason that they got out of retro in the first place. For a company this large (and with all the other problems they've got to deal with), the retro pie is probably not big enough for it to be worth them taking a slice of. I wouldn't be surprised if this heralds the end of their retro experiment in the near future.

Oct 11 at 1:09:52 AM
empire (58)
(Matt ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Most of them are probably straight from AliExpress

SW-6786-5095-2210 -- "dude had a canoe and he doesn't anymore...don't see what the big deal is"

Oct 11 at 4:29:10 AM
Tyree_Cooper (37)
< Meka Chicken >
Other
retro market is broken i think, the rise of repros didnt help either
but i think it could be that the majority is getting poorer so they have better things to do with their money, while a minority is getting richer and you see a concentration of expensive games in their hands while the rest gets the crumbs

my trade list

Oct 11 at 9:14:42 AM
captmorgandrinker (561)
(Vas ) < Bonk >
Ohio
NES/SNES Classic has murdered the value of the staple titles you speak of. Look up the NES games too, same hit.

Oct 11 at 9:18:01 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (35)
(Blue Yoshi) < El Ripper >
Michigan
Or perhaps gamestop realized that this form of selling isn't as profitable as they thought and they are clearing out stock to get out of it. Theres a lot of shipping that needs to be done. They gotta send it from the store to their "testing facility". From there it goes into storage until someone buys it. Then they gotta ship it out to the buyer. Cutting into the profits. That being said, I might jump on it and maybe get mario rpg.

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Edited: 10/11/2018 at 09:21 AM by SNESNESCUBE64

Oct 11 at 9:26:01 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (92)
(Douglas Glover) < Bowser >
Ontario
Man at $7 a pop I'd buy like all their snes controllers.

gamevaluenow
Get the value of your games at gamevaluenow.com
Developer

Oct 11 at 9:26:45 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Sign Collector Guy (5)
(Benjamin ) < Lolo Lord >
Iowa
I saw this the other day too. Was hard not to roll the dice on a few items.

Oct 11 at 9:36:53 AM
snes_collector (81)
(Jordan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
My best advice is wait for a buy 2 get one sale, they do those pretty often on retro games. I bought about a dozen 64 games during the last one and they were all in fantastic shape, way better than what I usually find at game stores and online

Oct 11 at 10:32:56 AM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kyle ) < Ridley Wrangler >
New Jersey
Just wish they carroed more games i didn't already have!

Oct 11 at 11:21:26 AM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
When they began their retro program in the early Teens, retro was murdering modern. A spokesman for GameStop was quoted as saying "We NEED to be in that market". By the time the program got up to full steam retro began to sputter. Since graybrown died off all of a sudden modern is doing a lot better and GS doesn't really NEED to be in the retro market anymore.

Oct 11 at 11:28:29 AM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Also remember that Mario is worth nothing on the internet whereas in real life Mario can be worth much more. Since GS is mostly selling Mario on the internet that makes it hard to get more than the Amazon price. It's the opposite of how old Pokemon cards from the first six sets are worth 2-3X as much on the internet whereas in real life they are dirt common and everyone has them already.

Oct 11 at 5:19:53 PM
BouncekDeLemos (80)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Originally posted by: empire

Most of them are probably straight from AliExpress
I was about to say "Most of them are bootlegs anyways." lol

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Oct 11 at 6:22:20 PM
dragonwarrior83 (29)
(Nick R) < Meka Chicken >
Georgia
I've had really good luck with their SNES games and NES for that matter. I've only had one bootleg out of maybe 90 games. My earthbound was authentic as well as a Duck Tales 2 was as well. The bootleg was TMNT tournament fighter for NES. It doesn't help your bottom line though when your "experts" ship a Contra Force ( authentic too) to a customer that ordered Contra 😁.

Looking for a CIB Dragon Warrior 3.

Oct 11 at 7:39:48 PM
MrWunderful (284)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
I wonder what the percentage of bootlegs that game stop sells as authenic actually is.

Oct 11 at 7:44:51 PM
captmorgandrinker (561)
(Vas ) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

I wonder what the percentage of bootlegs that game stop sells as authenic actually is.

I've had more with major cosmetic issues than bootlegs. 

Oct 11 at 8:39:52 PM
MrWunderful (284)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Did you get any actual bootlegs though?

Oct 11 at 9:04:47 PM
DefaultGen (23)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Kraid Killer >
United States
These stack with the CAG codes too and their premium membership, right? So that's Super Mario All-Stars and DKC2 for less than 10 bucks. Not bad!

I can't buy them for the same reason I can't buy disc games, the condition is too much of a gamble even if 50% carts are great condition and 50% of discs come complete. Returning a dozen games from a big order to Gamestop is also a nightmare and takes forever as they both scan the receipts and check the packing slips. There's usually only one cashier so you get a line of people staring daggers at you returning a stack of games like some kind of return-abusing maniac. I'll just pay a couple extra bucks on Ebay. I've also had cashiers have to "double check" prices because they can't believe someone would pay $90 for an old video game. Yeah, they wouldn't. Because it's disc only.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #104: Is the PS1 Classic lineup that bad?

Edited: 10/11/2018 at 09:09 PM by DefaultGen

Oct 11 at 10:14:23 PM
SNESfinder- (87)
(Stelio Kontos) < Lolo Lord >
Massachusetts
Loose snes is shit right now. They are probably as backed up as any of us. I just unloaded about 2 grand of snes to my local game store for more than I'm charging in my eBay store. A lot of the stuff on the snes mini has tanked. Zelda and Turtles in time have taken the most notable dips in price from my POV

BUYING/TRADING for mint snes boxes, CIB, and sealed, commons to rares and everything inbetween. will pay retail for items I need. ebay- http://www.ebay.com/sch/are-es-t/m.html?item=120930427271&pt...

Oct 11 at 10:25:09 PM
friedeje191 (22)

< Little Mac >
Good.

Oct 11 at 10:28:57 PM
captmorgandrinker (561)
(Vas ) < Bonk >
Ohio

Yes, but all GBA so far.

Oct 12 at 12:28:42 PM
DaneNES (4)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina

You know, I got rid of a bundle at a local game store ( not game stop, sorry) just a few weeks ago. Had a repro bloodlines for Sega. Told him it was repro and went in yesterday it’s up for 50 something$ like it’s real. I got it for $17.99 I think. Kinda wanted to kick some balls.
this is me relating to the bootlegs at store comments.

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Oct 12 at 12:37:03 PM
BouncekDeLemos (80)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida

Yes, but all GBA so far.
I want to say that GBA is a bit more common and a bit more difficult to detect to the untrained eye in the bootleg market than anything else. 

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Oct 12 at 12:57:09 PM
Strikezone1 (1)
(Steve ) < Little Mac >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Archangel3090

Agree with this. It does seem to me that the value gap between good+ condition vs flawed condition is getting wider. Flawed/bad condition carts seemed to have dropped a lot.