Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Advice Needed From Collectors Who Have Sold Off Their Collections What was the best method? What worked/didn't work?

Sep 14 at 1:29:03 PM
MrNESGuy (33)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
So I'm starting to get to the point where I want to unload a large chunk of my collection to save on space.  (I live in the OC and am tired of having to keep my collection in a storage space while my wife and I save up for a down payment forever.)  I wanted to know from those people who have already sold off large parts of your collection:

1. What was the best method to do so?  (I'm not in a particular hurry to unload everything, so I'm guessing eBay?)
2. If you sold on eBay, at point is it worth it to open a store instead of selling from a personal account?
3. Is it better to list items at a flat rate market price or start at a penny and see what happens?
4. Any tips for how to save on fixed costs like packaging and shipping?
5. Any warnings that someone should know when starting to sell a bunch of stuff at once?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

-------------------------
Currently searching for the manual for Game Gear Sports Illustrated game.

Sep 14 at 2:45:31 PM
A_Feisty_Pickle (1)

(J Clark) < Tourian Tourist >
Arkansas
I'm probably not the most seasoned at selling but I've sold ~~500 games on eBay. I'll try and give you what I do at least.

1) If you're not in a hurry and want the most money, list on eBay individually at average (or maybe a little above average) price from recent sales. If an item will sell for < $7 I personally will bundle these items into groups and list on eBay, make bundles on sites like NA or Reddit, or take to a game store. All my sales are through buy it now, I don't deal with auctions personally. If it doesn't sell in 30 days I'll relist and knock 10% off my previous price. I'll usually not accept best offers unless it's something that's rarer and hard to price. You can also list on NA, Reddit, FB groups. Most people expect a discount of at least 10% on sites like that since there is no eBay fee.
2) You can list 50 buy it now's per month for free. There are different levels of stores that give you more "free" listings but have a monthly fee. Depending on how quickly you list items you might want to start without a store and once you have a good number of items on eBay at once consider a basic store which gives you 100 listings a month for I believe $8 monthly. You can keep bumping your store level up the more items you have listed at once.
3) As mentioned in #1 I personally do buy it now only. If it's something with a lot of comps and readily available I think it makes more sense to do buy it now. If it's a rare item and you can get a lot of attention on the listing an auction can be good but is more risky.
4) I buy all my shipping supplies through either Amazon or eBay depending on which has a better deal when ordering. I use bubble mailers for case games or cartridge games that are <$30 and boxes for cardboard boxed games or games >$30. Most typical items will fit in 9x6x4 sized boxes and this is what I always keep a good stock of. Make sure to have plenty of bubble wrap, packing tape, bubble mailers, two labels per page paper. You will save a LOT of money buying in bulk online instead of going to the store for supplies. bubble mailers ~$.10 each, boxes ~$.20 each, 6 pack of GOOD packing tape for ~$12, 200 labels ~$10. Bubble wrap will probably be your biggest expense. Don't remember off the top of my head bout 175 ft small bubbles I think is ~$20-$30.
5) I personally haven't had issues with scammers on eBay but they're out there. Just be ready for someone to try and pull a quick one on you. Make sure you ship everything with tracking. First class will be your best bet for most items. If you have issues you can always message me and I can give you specific advice but hopefully you won't need it.   Also be ready for a few returns even if you know the item is listed accurately. eBay will almost always require you to take the return so save the trouble and just accept it. (If it's a valuable item though you'll need to do more research if an issue comes up).

Edited: 09/14/2018 at 02:46 PM by A_Feisty_Pickle

Sep 14 at 3:22:42 PM
empire (58)
(Matt ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
From what I've heard, facebook groups are the best way.

SW-6786-5095-2210 -- "dude had a canoe and he doesn't anymore...don't see what the big deal is"

Sep 14 at 3:52:45 PM
SUBSCRIBER
TheToxieRules (69)
(Cyrus ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
1. Use as many channels as you possibly can like NA, Ebay, local sales or Facebook groups in your area.

2. If you sold on eBay, at point is it worth it to open a store instead of selling from a personal account? I never did personally.

3. I personally wouldn't list stuff on auction style since you can potentially be burned and I bet it happens more often than times you make out on top. I let stuff go cheaper than the current going rate just by a very small amount, I would sort eBay by cheapest listing and just price it a little lower than that, it isn't always true because it isn't sold listings but you have to do your research too.

4. Try to find free boxes somehow, I know it might be a pain in the ass to find smaller ones that fit video games but it will save you a lot of hassle in the end. Luckily I was able to get all of my shipping materials for free, if not you just have to be more careful about your shipping pricing.

5. Keep very organized, when you have lots of listings going at the same time and shipping lots of items the last thing you want to do is make a mistake and have to eat shipping costs or someone gets a more expensive item than what they paid for. Another thing is to make sure to be aware of your eBay fees building up, always sucks when you get hit with a big bill!

I had absolutely no issues letting my collection go and had zero issues during the process, it seems overwhelming at first but once you get it going you get a rhythm going on....Another thing you could do is just do it in sections, do your NES stuff first, than your SNES etc.

How ya friggen doin there bud?

Sep 14 at 5:24:22 PM
SUBSCRIBER
MuNKeY (131)
(Sexy Pataytas ) < Master Higgins >
Tennessee
My best luck on selling mine off was on here but I think my timing was very good (or just really lucky) as everything went in less than a month.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

"POTATO"

Sep 14 at 5:31:57 PM
Gex (35)
(Ryley Rolls ) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Different items sell better through different medians. Consoles and mario type hype games sell better locally, while that Zelda LTTP you just got graded would sell best on NA/Ebay

<<< My TurboGrafx 16 ISO

Sep 14 at 5:53:15 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Milwaukee_Nintendo (17)
(Charles A) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
It all depends on how much time you want to spend making the sale. Maximum value would be selling each game (or a few games) individually on eBay/Facebook/Etc. If you don't want to deal with that just make a listing for everything and take 25%-30% off of retail. The initial idea of selling on eBay might seem like a great idea but the amount of time it takes to list/package/ship/post office is significant.

Sep 14 at 7:12:17 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
We really need a sell your collection pinned thread. Once a week with this atleast

Same as always

Break up more money more work. Lots less money less work. There isnt some magic solution. Online most money. Gamestore less money.

This applies to most things. Supplies, bulk is cheaper obviously. Ebay, just look at what they offer. Free listings vs store. 

Id just sell it all in person on facebook for straight cash

NES  639 (330 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158/163(incl. Starfox Guard & Bayonetta 1)
SNES 308
N64  167
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 09/14/2018 at 07:19 PM by quest4nes

Sep 15 at 1:06:13 PM
SUBSCRIBER
coffeewithmrsaturn (350)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Don't list things as auctions that you aren't okay with selling cheap. They don't always go well.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Sep 15 at 1:50:02 PM
Space Jockey (141)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Sell off the cheap ones in bulk, sell off the expensive ones individually. A bit time consuming, but you get more money that way. Use eBay mostly because it sells faster there. Use BIN only, don't waste your time with auctions as you won't get what you want often times. Try to sell the high ticket ones locally if possible but don't expect much luck there. I've sold high value items > $100 on eBay numerous times without difficulty. NA is pretty good about making fair deals for both buyer and seller so don't you dare forget us.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Sep 15 at 5:04:14 PM
Gorillazero (51)
(Well That's Just Prime) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Try to sell as much locally or without the use of online banks. If your collection is large and "valuable", you can expect tax forms from PayPal.

Bounty: Neo Geo Pocket and Color Games PAL/UK. Dive Alert, Pocket Reversi, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters

Sep 15 at 6:13:18 PM
SUBSCRIBER
ALTQQ (73)
(Sean W) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Join collectors groups on facebook and sell there. It's where I actively sell now. Stuff moves fast. I sold 600 tapes in a year

Sep 16 at 12:02:33 AM
YOURTURN (0)
(Philip N.) < Little Mac >
California
What both Gorillazero and ALTQQ said are things I also suggest.

PayPal is great when getting, or receiving, money quickly. But even the fees you pay them for this service cannot protect you from shady buyers.

And with my sole experience on this subject, posting sales on collector groups (forums, Facebook, etc.) is the best way to go. Because it protects you from shady buyers, as well as helps resolve issues where a buyer might claim your product is a bootleg or has developed some form of buyers remorse.

As for my lone suggestion... Make HD photo copies of everything you chose to sell, as well as tie them to a checklist. Always make a bill of sales that shows what is sold, and to who. And ALWAYS photograph what you are packing so they can see that it was not damaged prior to being shipped (if you have no oter option). Sales advice aside, transparency is your best line of defense when it comes to re-sales like this one.