Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Collecting slowed because of prices??

Jul 05 at 9:07:16 AM
Miamivice777 (0)
(Matt Rogers) < Cherub >
Ohio
I was wondering if any of you guys have went thru the same collecting issues that I have over the past few years.  I have been collecting since maybe 2003.  I startyed re buying the NES, SNES, and Genesis games that I had when i was growing up.  Up until about 2013, I could easily find people selling a box of old games for pretty cheap.  I would get a ton of lots like 25 NES games and a system with everything for around $75.  Now i can barely find anything at a reasonable price.  People in my area (Cincinnati) post stuff for insane prices.  I always see lots with around 10 common games in poor condition with a system and people try and get around $200. Its crazy to me.  It has caused me to stop buying anything almost totally.  I know prices have gone thru the roof but do any of you guys ever feel that the prices arent what this stuff is worth?

P.S.  Ive been on Nintendo Age for a couple years I just never really post anything.  Could you guys help a noob with a few questions?  How do I increase my number next to my avatar and what does "bump" mean? Thanks in advance!

-Matt Rogers

Jul 05 at 9:22:12 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (262)
(Brian P.) < Bowser >
Minnesota
The number next to your name is the amount of unique feedback you have received from other NA users. You increase it by buying/selling/trading on the site. "Bump" is a commonly used term with the intent of bringing the particular thread back to the top of the forum. Each new posts "bumps" that thread back up to the top of the list.

Often times prices of things aren't worth it to ME personally, but that doesn't mean it's not worth it to someone else. Will prices keep going up, or are video games overpriced? Who knows, though I wouldn't hold your breath on the mid 80s- mid 90s stuff significantly dropping anytime soon.

Jul 05 at 9:36:47 AM
SoleGooseProductions (123)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Availability and price have caused me to buy less these days. Even when collecting mostly DS, which has been mostly what I have gone after since 2013, the appearance of games at stores has slowed down considerably. It was easy and fun, since games were available and cheap. Prices have not gone up too much, but a decent number of $5 games are now $50, and stores seem to catch onto that quicker than before. The other issue is that I have most of the easy to find, cheap ones. I avoiding paying high prices for some in the beginning, and now they are the same or a tad higher. Buying based on low prices and availability dictated what I bought, so when those things changed so did my buying. I either pass all around these days, find less focused things to buy (imports or genre vs system specific things), or wait to pounce on the more quality items on my list. Less impulse buying and casual collecting/amassing.

-------------------------
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jul 05 at 9:42:26 AM
Woobie (18)

< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Miamivice777

I was wondering if any of you guys have went thru the same collecting issues that I have over the past few years.  I have been collecting since maybe 2003.  I startyed re buying the NES, SNES, and Genesis games that I had when i was growing up.  Up until about 2013, I could easily find people selling a box of old games for pretty cheap.  I would get a ton of lots like 25 NES games and a system with everything for around $75.  Now i can barely find anything at a reasonable price.  People in my area (Cincinnati) post stuff for insane prices.  I always see lots with around 10 common games in poor condition with a system and people try and get around $200. Its crazy to me.  It has caused me to stop buying anything almost totally.  I know prices have gone thru the roof but do any of you guys ever feel that the prices arent what this stuff is worth?

P.S.  Ive been on Nintendo Age for a couple years I just never really post anything.  Could you guys help a noob with a few questions?  How do I increase my number next to my avatar and what does "bump" mean? Thanks in advance!

-Matt Rogers
Number next to your avatar is your transaction count. And bump is just "bumping" your post back to the top (commenting on your post so that it goes back to the top for visibility).

Prices have definately gone up like crazy the last few years, its stabilizing though I think. Now and then I do see people posting stuff locally for insane prices but I just kind of laugh and move on. I can still find stuff for reasonable, its alot more difficult to do sure, but not impossible. I guess long story short, if your buying from someone who knows the value, they are going to ask the value. If your buying from someone who has no clue on value its hit or miss. Typically I try to buy in larger lots (Sure I will take it all if you cut me a deal) and sell off the extra stuff.

There is still deals to be had, but I think alot more people are informed nowadays (everyone has smart phones and just look up value). Some people are out to lunch still on values but I know a buddy of mine snagged gargoyles quest 2, lone ranger, darkwing duck, lethal weapon and a bunch of others (all NES) from a garage sale, all mint shape, for $3 a pop (Canadian dollarydoos! so like 25c american).

I guess my take is, deals exist just have to keep your ear to the ground, make contacts locally, get your name out there. I have snagged deals just from "friend of a friend of a friend". Also I guess part of it is measuring your context for a "deal". If a game is worth $50 Full market value, and I got it for $30, thats a deal to me! Sure its not the 2 bucks it would of been 5y ago but oh well

Edited: 07/05/2018 at 09:43 AM by Woobie

Jul 05 at 10:37:56 AM
Morakaton (0)

< Little Mac >
I've personally stopped collecting because a lot of classic systems have reached unobtainable prices. Even the Sega Saturn, which was always pricey to collect for, nearly doubled in price between 2015 and now. I'm glad I got most of the SNES games I wanted when I did in 2015-2016, as every week it seems some new 'Hidden gem" gets discovered, causing a spike. Using the SNES as my prime example since that's why I mostly focused on, take Joe and Mac 2 for instance, which was a $40~ game a few years ago is now pushing $90. Ardy Lightfoot and Skyblazer were both $20~ in 2015, now $90~. It's insanity, and I can see why collecting has slowed. 

I'd say if you're serious about retro collecting, try seeking out more obscure systems like Game Gear, original Xbox, and even the Gameboy is pretty cheap to collect for all in all.

Edited: 07/05/2018 at 10:43 AM by Morakaton

Jul 05 at 10:44:42 AM
SoleGooseProductions (123)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
I would add too that I've substituted playing for collecting these past few years. For every system that I want to play I have several options that do not involve dropping hundreds just to see if I like it or not. I have also started buying things that I like and complete after the fact, in a fun reversal. The purchase is the reward for completion, instead of playing the game the reward of collecting.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jul 05 at 11:01:06 AM
SUBSCRIBER
ALTQQ (73)
(Sean W) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
I haven't bought any tapes in ages, no deals local and it's rare to find a great deal online. Just lucky I own the games I want already pre 09. If I was new to this I don't think I would bother beyond an everdrive

Jul 05 at 11:22:43 AM
AlexKunio (24)
(Alex Ryan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
I too have slowed down significantly, starting about 3 years ago to focus on real life. It is harder now to get back into buying. I've actually started selling now... extras I've had since my heyday of buying.

To me a price is always what the item is worth, unless there's some type of price fixing or monopoly going on. They go up and down just like a stock or anything else.

Jul 05 at 11:51:01 AM
stinkoman (15)
(Stinky Weezletits) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I'm also from around Cincinnati and it sucks out here, but is the same everywhere. I gave up on finding Nintendo stuff cheap in the wild like the old days and switched to Genesis stuff which I can still find regularly, but even that is drying up as well. I'm not saying give up collecting what you love the most and still look for deals, but if your collecting and wanting to find lots of cheap stuff you might need to shift your focus.

Jul 05 at 12:08:33 PM
sirdizzy (1)
< Little Mac >
I find it hard for me to buy nes or snes carts very much anymore since I have a modded snes and nes mini that I play those games on so if I get them its just for pure collecting. Its why I have switched my focus to collecting ps2 and ps3 games which are still dirt cheap I can grab 5-6 ps2 or ps3 games for what it costs me to get one good title of nes or snes. I mean I want stuff like battletoads and or kid icarus for my collection but at $20-25 a game I just find myself grabbing a bunch of $2-5 ps2 or ps3 games I don't emulate.

I feel like the ps2 and the ps3 are the ground floor right now like nes was in the early 2000's cheap games that are very fun but that people haven't caught onto yet but will eventually.

Jul 05 at 12:20:40 PM
DefaultGen (23)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Kraid Killer >
United States
I sped up collecting Sega CD and Saturn in 2016 because I didn't want to deal with further price increases (among increasing worries of repro cases, inserts, and manuals). Prices ended up leveling off shortly afterwards so it wasn't so bad, but in a world where something like Battlesport was doubling in price every year, I just didn't want to risk things becoming unattainably expensive.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #103: Tricks and Treats

Jul 05 at 12:29:07 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
I've pretty much curtailed NES collecting. Still buy the occasional Famicom carts, but most of those have to be imported.

Jul 05 at 12:35:48 PM
barrelsAndRivets (135)
< Bowser >
California
I've definitely slowed down.

Even in 2010 things were starting to get a bit crazy, but you should still find troves of goodies at thrift stores. Now most Goodwills ship anything gaming-related off to their auction site, etc etc.

Personally I've taken it in stride... tried to become content with what I have, and only chase after some titles that really have my interest. Thus it's basically forced me to take a step back and play what I have.

Furthermore, the last few years have seen my INTV and Atari (2600,7800,5200) collections grow immensely. Those are much more matured platforms to collect for, pricing-wise.

Jul 05 at 12:42:12 PM
SUBSCRIBER
TheToxieRules (69)
(Cyrus ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I just called er quits and sold last year because of prices, about 70% of my collection was from the glory days of getting things for $1-$5 so it didn't hurt my feelings to sell it for current prices.

Even with newer releases I have been incredibly patient waiting for used copies or Steam sales etc. I don't need to play it the first day it comes out.

The thing I don't understand is when new games are purchased for full price Day 1 and they sit on a shelf and aren't played for months and months because someone has such a massive backlog and in the meantime the game drops 50% in price or used copies pop up.

How ya friggen doin there bud?

Jul 05 at 1:03:38 PM
sadikyo (86)
(Sadik Yo) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: TheToxieRules

I just called er quits and sold last year because of prices, about 70% of my collection was from the glory days of getting things for $1-$5 so it didn't hurt my feelings to sell it for current prices.

Even with newer releases I have been incredibly patient waiting for used copies or Steam sales etc. I don't need to play it the first day it comes out.

The thing I don't understand is when new games are purchased for full price Day 1 and they sit on a shelf and aren't played for months and months because someone has such a massive backlog and in the meantime the game drops 50% in price or used copies pop up.
This is a good point and something I try to keep in mind as opposed to picking up just every single new game I know I'll want.  Some games, I am just so excited about that I'll go ahead and pick it up anyway, but for many of them, I will wait a bit until I think I'll be ready to play it.  There are so many games and I have a huge backlog already, so I don't feel the need to pay full price no matter what.

This is especially the case with PC and Steam games.  I'll almost never buy them immediately, because the price usually drops by 50%, 75%, sometimes even more.  The difference may not be as much with physical releases, and especially first-party Nintendo type games, but it definitely still happens.

I used to be hesitant to buy used games because of condition, but I've loosened up on that a bit as well, so if it's a game I just know I want to play, that doesn't factor in as much as it used to.

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Jul 05 at 3:09:51 PM
Abelardo (76)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico
Personally I've slowed down almost to a halt regarding NES & SNES, I still buy when the occasional good deal shows up but it's becoming much more difficult, I've switched mainly to arcade games but that is drying up as well so I haven't been purchasing much either, I took repairs/mods as a hobby so lately my free time goes to fixing stuff (or actually playing games   ).

Jul 05 at 3:12:32 PM
Miamivice777 (0)
(Matt Rogers) < Cherub >
Ohio
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I find it hard to find anything that isnt full retail ebay prices. I keep looking everyday for the deals!

Jul 05 at 6:43:57 PM
AtariJay (0)
(jbob h) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Miamivice777

-Matt Rogers

There's a solid group on Facebook called The Ohio Retro Gamer. We do pretty good about hooking each other up on deals. Our annual convention is coming soon. Being with like minded people usually keeps my gaming and collecting spirit up.

I have a college friend that's a buyer at Half Price Books in Cincy there's still deals out there. Also Arcade Legacy was a great place last time I stopped. Very fair prices.

Jul 05 at 6:47:27 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
I stopped because I pretty much collected what I wanted but the high prices definitely accelerated my desire to stop collecting. I stopped looking locally around 2015 as prices actually started to go well beyond online prices from uneducated shops and sellers. I still pick away at eBay for a few minutes here and there, but that's really just to kill time when I have the chance. I also found the higher prices went the more volatile buying and selling became. It really sucked a lot of the fun out it for me.

I feel like the hobby has slowed a little, but there is still a lot of demand for games. Everytime I post something locally for a reasonable price it gets a ton of interest and usually sells within a day. It really surprises me that some games continue to climb. Some of the 64 carts I sold went for almost double what I was expecting.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Jul 05 at 7:18:31 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
I was getting insane deals from a local chain a few years ago but I think I overexposed them, lately their prices have been above pricecharting.
Grabbed a Secret of Mana cart today thinking it would be in the $27.97 tier (would have been a few seasons ago at this store) but flipped it over and they have it priced at $51.97. But usually if you poke around long enough you can find something good.

Jul 05 at 7:22:18 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
I haven't bought anything this year at all. I may pick up a few n64 games but last year was my last big buy and will probably be that way unless i stumbled onto something.

It's not always the prices that are the issue but condition and availability. I own almost every old game i ever wanted. So i am okay with it. I do wish you luck OP. Half the fun was finding something new i never heard of and learning along the way.

Edited: 07/05/2018 at 08:17 PM by zredgemz

Jul 05 at 9:18:03 PM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
A LOT of people are at the point where they don't need any more NES/SNES tapes

Jul 05 at 9:40:17 PM
dragonwarrior83 (29)
(Nick R) < Meka Chicken >
Georgia
I just recently started collecting probably 2 years ago ( less than the opportune time to begin) but I only get stuff that I'm really interested in. Lately it's been homebrews, hacks, and RPG games. If it's something I want I'm willing to pay a little premium for it, I didn't get into the hobby to get a complete licensed set or anything like that and I would never drop the cash for a NWC cart or a Stadium Events. With that said I still find deals here and there but they are very few and far between, I even got a few games for free not to long ago and a top loader for doing something I wasn't planning on being compensated for. With the NES classic out and out in volume and thanks to a certain program I think it will help some with pricing but there will always be those few who want a Little Samson or Panic Restaurant.

Looking for a CIB Dragon Warrior 3.

Jul 05 at 10:23:06 PM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Everyone wants to hop on the "nostalgia train" and play games from when they were a kid...so of course demand goes up, prices go up.

It can also depend on your area. If you're in a big city you'll have to fight resellers and other collectors. I don't live in a big city (Seattle is several miles away) but I'm in an area that just happens to have quite a lot of resellers and several famous Youtube collectors...all of which I have to fight against to get to the games first.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Jul 05 at 11:49:47 PM
ULTRACASTLE00 (39)
(SandbagX ) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
I recently found 3 CIB Saturn games, an uncommon Genesis and an Uncommon SNES game (though bith had label damage) in a box being sold for $1 each!

Resources are out there, Just gotta look formthem sometimes.

Watch me play games on www.twitch.tv/SandbagDX...
Visit my youtube page at https://www.youtube.com/channel/U...

Speedruns!
100 Games Quest!
And More!!