Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Power Players Book Status Cancelled.

Mar 17 at 8:15:11 PM
PowerPlayers (84)
(The User Formerly Known As Joseph Leo) < Bowser >
New Jersey

Dear NintendoAge,

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to reading this post! I am Joseph Leo, your friendly neighborhood game enthusiast.

As some of you may know, I have been writing a book for the past two years that aims to give an in depth review of the entire NES library, the history behind Nintendo, and the legacy of the NES. The book was called "Power Players' MEGAZine: Volume 1 - NES/Famicom" and was going to include a companion book titled "Power Players' Unofficial NES Collectors Guide". Through a series of delays, missed deadlines, and unexpected changes in my lifestyle I am unable to complete the book in the manner I wanted to present it to you all.

The final deadline of June 15, 2018 has since came and went and I've only met two and a half of the five milestones I've set in place to be at this date. The first milestone was to discover the NES library myself by playing (not entirely beating) the entire NES library to understand the scope of the NES library and write down my opinions of the games in brief. The second milestone was to create a title, layout, and structure to the book and begin fleshing out the reviews to be more in-depth and organized, revisiting the ones I needed to brush up on. The third was to complete research on topics like the history of Nintendo, the people involved in the development of the Nintendo, and other interesting topics relative to the NES. Fourth was to begin interviewing community members across various forums, and even folks like Howard Phillips. Fifth was to create a marketing strategy and get in touch with publishers to help get this book into peoples hands, all while polishing the book to a mirror finish. As I said before, in two and a half years I've only made it half way through those goals and each one presented its own challenges.

Now, Some of you might remember the original purpose of this book was to act as a distraction from a tragedy that occurred in my family just two years ago. I can say I've met my own personal goal for this project and I am satisfied with the overall outcome. My wife and I have landed back on our feet and managed to crawl out of a black hole thanks to the likes of church, family, friends, and this very community. I thank you all for your support these past two years.

So what's going to become of the data from these two books? Well, I have and idea to create a digital publication. Not an eBook, but a website version of a magazine. Not in the style of a blog or a news hub, but rather something different. The idea is once a month to release a new publication of a website, maybe or maybe not with minor updates in between. Also, instead of covering just NES it will cover everything that interests me at the time. Sega, Atari, Sony, Microsoft, and others are welcome, as are PC, Portable, Arcade, and who knows what else might find its way in there. I have no promises on this, but I think it's what would have become of the book even if it made it to launch anyway. For now though, I am going to gather my thoughts and focus on this tough week ahead of me. It'll be two years since the incident on June 23 and I have a lot on my plate right now. Moving into a new home, throwing away old things, and trying to get on the path of normalcy again.

I'll also be taking a hiatus from the community for a while. It could be a month, it could be a year, it could be a week. But there is so much for me to explore right now and so much order I need to bring to chaos in my life.

To those who've stood beside me all this time, I thank you all. To those of you who thought of my family, I thank you as well. To those of you who helped or wanted to help, I thank you all too. You guys here have been a great influence on my life and sanity and have gone above and beyond just being a "Nintendo fan club". You are all wonderful people here and I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
The Power Player: Joseph Leo

-------------------------

What happened to my book? Click Here

Edited: 06/16/2018 at 10:32 PM by PowerPlayers

Mar 17 at 9:53:55 PM
LifeGame (62)
(Max DR) < El Ripper >
Quebec
I was ready to early bird a hardcover...but no shipping to Canada 😔

NES games to finish my licensed set -S.E. :  DOWN TO 3

LITTLE SAMSON, DINO PEAK, PANIC RESTAURANT

NES licensed : 673/677

Mar 17 at 10:06:39 PM
spman (0)

< Little Mac >
No offense, and I know he's not held in particularly high esteem in these parts, but didn't Pat already pretty much cover all these bases? What makes yours different from his?

Mar 17 at 10:16:51 PM
barrelsAndRivets (133)
< Bowser >
California
Good luck Joseph, waiting on the comprehensive one though  

Mar 17 at 10:18:03 PM
PowerPlayers (84)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Good luck Joseph, waiting on the comprehensive one though  

That one is coming up right after this one finishes. You can even see a little preview of the cover art at the bottom of this kickstarter

Mar 17 at 10:19:52 PM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube King) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Good luck on this.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Mar 17 at 10:21:14 PM
PowerPlayers (84)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: spman

No offense, and I know he's not held in particularly high esteem in these parts, but didn't Pat already pretty much cover all these bases? What makes yours different from his?

Nope.

Pat made a book that describes each game, and gives a brief review and some publication info. His book is also much more expensive, very large and missing what I put out in this book.

I'm including every variant that exists to my knowledge, the relative rarity of each variant, the price maximum price you should expect to pay for every game loose and complete, the price you can expect to receive at a minimum for trade-in loose and complete, and like Pat's book, my own personal opinion of the game. He also missed the PAL and Sachen unlicensed libraries.

I have my copy of his book right here and while it's a fantastic book, its very cumbersome.

Mar 18 at 12:12:30 AM
supercoupe91 (4)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Dakota
My only problem is including game values. They change too much and will probably be out-dated by the time the book is in everyone's hands.

Mar 18 at 12:19:48 AM
PowerPlayers (84)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: supercoupe91

My only problem is including game values. They change too much and will probably be out-dated by the time the book is in everyone's hands.

The prices I have are what I predict will be July/August pricing. Also, retail stores aren't as easily manipulated as online prices since store owners don't exactly have the time to constantly update the prices of the thousands of items they have in their inventory at all times.

You can of course ignore the prices if you wish!

Mar 18 at 8:59:56 PM
PowerPlayers (84)
New Jersey
24 Hour bump.

Cmon guys, this is a really fun book and will help me find the big book to be even better!

I don't want to have to sacrifice quality for the big book!

Mar 19 at 5:02:48 PM
DestructoDisk (117)
(Timothy Patrick Vreeland) < King Solomon >
Nevada
Very cool. Hope this succeeds. It's great even just as a ball park reference. In 10 years if the price guide is completely useless, it will still be a cool item from a historic point of view.

Mar 19 at 5:45:21 PM
DefaultGen (23)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Kraid Killer >
United States
I'm in for a hardcover, and agree that historical price guides are fun because that information is rarely as easy to find online as current prices. Constructive criticism, your competitive advantage is the comprehensiveness of your checklists and at a casual glance at the Kickstarter it isn't immediately clear that this book offers more than the NES checklists people already use. John WantsEveryNESGame has a basic list of games and way to look up prices and probably doesn't care about screw variants much. The really cool stuff you have is your researched lists of variants, foreign and unlicensed which are all behind stretch goals in this project, and that's the stuff Joe HasEveryNESGame would be more interested in. It's a tough middle ground between a free phone app and big timeless tome of all knowledge. Good luck though, and of course can't wait for your big timeless tome of all knowledge.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #97: So You Want to Collect for the Original Xbox?

Mar 19 at 6:01:50 PM
PowerPlayers (84)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

I'm in for a hardcover, and agree that historical price guides are fun because that information is rarely as easy to find online as current prices. Constructive criticism, your competitive advantage is the comprehensiveness of your checklists and at a casual glance at the Kickstarter it isn't immediately clear that this book offers more than the NES checklists people already use. John WantsEveryNESGame has a basic list of games and way to look up prices and probably doesn't care about screw variants much. The really cool stuff you have is your researched lists of variants, foreign and unlicensed which are all behind stretch goals in this project, and that's the stuff Joe HasEveryNESGame would be more interested in. It's a tough middle ground between a free phone app and big timeless tome of all knowledge. Good luck though, and of course can't wait for your big timeless tome of all knowledge.

Thanks for the input.

I think you’re right about that and I may go that route later tonight. I can always make the book smaller if I removed or simplified the rarity / variant guide for the standard 677/91 since that is available everywhere.

Distant goals at this rate seem impossible and I really want to include all of that stuff.

Mar 20 at 1:10:15 PM
PowerPlayers (84)
New Jersey
11% of the way means we're on track for funding.

I've taken DefaultGen's advice and included A LOT of the stretch goals into the book and reduced the amount of stretch goals to 6.

Now on top of the 677 Licensed, 91 Unlicensed, 2 NWC's, and 9 Test Carts the book will include information on the following:

67 Sachen Games
19 Gluk Games
26 HES Games
8 Codemasters Games

All USA Console Box Variants
All USA Accessories
All USA Game Art & Packaging Variants
All Sachen Original Artwork Variants

Checklist of all known 5-screw / 3-screw variants
Checklist of all known Hangtab / Non Hangtab variants
Checklist of all known Shape & Color Unlicensed Variants

List of PAL Game Title & Name Changes
List of Accessory Compatible Games
List of the Most Popular Games
List of the Most Expensive Games

Edit: Also, I recently purchased NintendoChecklist.com to possibly make a digital verison of this little collectors guide. I'm considering making something that will allow you to generate your own custom list. example: Show me only games developed by Nintendo R&D 1, Published by Nintendo, are worth $40 or less loose at retail, are considered common to uncommon, and have a quality score of 3.5 to 5.0.

Edited: 03/20/2018 at 01:38 PM by PowerPlayers

Mar 20 at 8:14:10 PM
BalloonFight (222)
(Kyle Allen) < Kraid Killer >
California
Backed this. Really hoping this gets funded. Much luck to you.  

Always looking for early issues of these magazines: GameFan, Tips and Tricks, Electronic Gaming Monthly.
Don't be afraid to send me a PM if you have any of these. I would love to give you some games for your magazines. :)

Mar 20 at 10:42:31 PM
PowerPlayers (84)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: BalloonFight

Backed this. Really hoping this gets funded. Much luck to you.  

Thanks for the contribution!

It’s a nail biting experience wondering if your gonna make it or not, but even if this misses the mark I’m going to upload the data anyway and try again in 6 months when I update the data.

Mar 21 at 8:53:33 AM
rlh (55)
( Potatoe!) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
I really hope you can make this, but as other's have pointed out, there is the book by Pat. I know that this book is much different and extensive but I think the problem might be is that many who would want such an encyclopedia may already have his book and they will probably see it as "good enough" for their needs.

So, if you want to make significant head-way, you might have to find a way to find more people who might be into this. If only there was a to have a Kickstarter affiliate setup. Back the book, and if anyone you refer backs it, you get certain bonuses at a certain point. I don't know. That doesn't help, but as cool as this is, I can't help but wonder if the market is a little saturated. Heavy marketing/viral campaigning could help though.

For those of you wanting this book, I highly recommend you share it on all of the usual social sources.

Please check out my -->WANTED<-- list of games.
[NES/SNES/GB/GG/GEN/N64/PS1/PS2]
I prefer trades but I buy too.
Switch ID: SW-8142-3998-4206

Mar 21 at 9:26:58 AM
PowerPlayers (84)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: rlh

I really hope you can make this, but as other's have pointed out, there is the book by Pat. I know that this book is much different and extensive but I think the problem might be is that many who would want such an encyclopedia may already have his book and they will probably see it as "good enough" for their needs.

So, if you want to make significant head-way, you might have to find a way to find more people who might be into this. If only there was a to have a Kickstarter affiliate setup. Back the book, and if anyone you refer backs it, you get certain bonuses at a certain point. I don't know. That doesn't help, but as cool as this is, I can't help but wonder if the market is a little saturated. Heavy marketing/viral campaigning could help though.

For those of you wanting this book, I highly recommend you share it on all of the usual social sources.

You're right about Pat's book. I can't envision a scenario of getting funding if I even remotely mimmick what he did with his book.

That's why I went with the "Power Players" branding, and changed things to look more like a magazine instead of an encylopedia. If I went his route then I have no chance, but with my current setup I have a chance, a small chance. I find it odd that people are saying this collectors guide is copying Pat's book so it's got me concerned about the viability of the main book.

I published a Facebook ad the other day and sold only enough copies to break even per copy sold. I published a reddit ad exclusively on the retro gaming communities while ignoring /r/nintendo and /r/gaming and got zero sales. I posted on /r/gamecollecting and /r/nes manually and got two sales, but then negative comments came in and that sort of shot any possibility of positive conversation.

Only way to get a positive reaction is natural discussion and help from friends. Even still, again if it doesn't get printed I'm more than happy to release the data for free (which I'll be doing anyway.) I have two goals with this guide, and that is to see the community reaction, and to learn how to use Kickstarter. So if it completely fails, I'd say that the $100 in advertising I did was worth the expense of learning.

Still, we're on track to get basic funding and possibly a stretch goal, and Mr. Ferris Bueller featured the project on the front page just now (thanks man) so we might be able to reach some stretch goals.

Mar 21 at 11:29:10 AM
StudyHallPanic#@! (6)
(Jason M Hill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Got the early bird HC. The price is just right  

Mar 21 at 11:47:26 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Krunch (141)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Phleo > Pat

GL looks sweet

eBay - http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nk...

#YKNOTK

Mar 21 at 3:13:20 PM
PowerPlayers (84)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: StudyHallPanic#@!

Got the early bird HC. The price is just right  

Glad you managed to snag one. Just got featured on VGPC's blog too, so maybe that'll reel in some more interest.

Originally posted by: Krunch

Phleo > Pat

GL looks sweet

Nah, Pat's chill. He's from New Joisey like me.

Mar 21 at 6:32:00 PM
MrNESGuy (33)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
For the man who sold me some of my rarest/hardest to find games in my NES collection, I can easily go in on a hardcover for this. For me, the market advantage is the size. It's small enough to fit on a NES shelf next to my boxed games, is easy enough to carry around in your pocket out in the world, and is more manageable for my kids to look through when trying to pick out a game to play.

Currently searching for the manual for Game Gear Sports Illustrated game.

Mar 21 at 7:03:07 PM
PowerPlayers (84)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: MrNESGuy

For the man who sold me some of my rarest/hardest to find games in my NES collection, I can easily go in on a hardcover for this. For me, the market advantage is the size. It's small enough to fit on a NES shelf next to my boxed games, is easy enough to carry around in your pocket out in the world, and is more manageable for my kids to look through when trying to pick out a game to play.

Don't forget the star ratings! I was as subjective as I possibly could have been on my ratings and even opened my mind to enjoying sports games.

Also, I miss that Power Blade 2, Rescue Rangers 2, Fire 'n Ice, and Goal! Two.....mostly the Power Blade 2.

Mar 21 at 11:33:15 PM
nesnintendodb (1)

(David Bickford) < Little Mac >
Florida
Trying to talk my wife into letting me back this so I can get a copy lol. I did post on a few Nintendo Facebook pages for you also.
Good Luck!!!!

Mar 21 at 11:37:50 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Foochie776 (229)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < King Solomon >
Minnesota
I backed ya brother

May the force be with you.