Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Advice on what to do with extra boxes? System boxes, game boxes, etc.

Jan 13 at 1:43:34 AM
TheSwagPatrol (0)

< Crack Trooper >
Illinois
I have way too many extra boxes just laying around. About 20 system boxes and then several hundred game boxes. Nothing crazy valuable by itself, mostly DS/3DS/Wii/Wii U boxes of common but decently priced Nintendo games. Think Mario Kart Wii, Pokémon Omega Ruby, Mario Party 10, etc.

I’ve kept hoarding these cause I know they have some monetary value. But now they’re quite a hindrance with how much space they’re taking up. What should I do with them? I hate to give them away, since like I said I know they’re worth something to someone. Could probably sell them for $5 each individually online but that would take forever and a half. Could ship them as a lot but the shipping would probably cost way too much. Hell at this point I’d trade them one-for-one for NES dust sleeves...

Anyone else ever dealt with this problem? What would you recommend doing?

Jan 13 at 2:30:12 AM
gunpei (8)
< Kraid Killer >
Illinois
Where did you get them? What happened to their contents? I'm just really curious.

You could give them away in the free thread http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
with a requirement of must pay shipping and must take all. Or make a FO/FT thread.

Take them to a local game store for trade. If you have none, make a day or two to come shop and also do tourist or food stuff in Chicago.

Post as a lot on eBay, who knows maybe they will sell. There are so many people looking to flip video game stuff.

Edited: 01/13/2018 at 02:30 AM by gunpei

Jan 13 at 6:20:40 AM
fcgamer (92)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Here are my thoughts, as someone who has waaay too many game-related things lying around:

If space is of the concern, or you are just tired of having the crap lying around (I know this feeling) and truly do not want these, just chuck them. Period. Space > holding onto something that you might be able to use / sell / whatever ten years from now. Just not worth it, imo, based on a small chance.

If value is the concern, sell them individually. It is slow, it is tiring and annoying, but it would clear them out. If value is of slight concern, sell them in lots (the game boxes), sell the console boxes separately as they are larger. Get some money, maybe not as much as totally one by one.

If value and space are both slight concern, why not just make a thread proposing the trade you suggested above, and see if you have some takers? Surely someone might take that trade.

For me personally, I value my time too much to be bothered about selling $5 here, $5 there, and every few months, after cleaning house, I personally trade / give whatever junk I have lying around to one of my gaming buddies, and he does the same, to me. Anything not of interest then just get tossed.

edit:  Some people are against tossing unwanted stuff, but imo, some of these folks also can't put their money where their mouth is, i.e. feel it shouldn't be tossed, but only want it if it's free, you can search my Adopt a Top Gun thread if you want evidence on it.  So you shouldn't feel shamed for tossing things, if you don't want it.

-------------------------
-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Edited: 01/13/2018 at 06:22 AM by fcgamer

Jan 13 at 6:26:57 AM
Nert (55)
(T.O.W. Missile) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Hmm.. I do have a pile of NES sleeves

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jan 13 at 7:10:48 AM
Wasbi (10)
(Jon Wasabi) < Crack Trooper >
Washington
The way I sss it, you have a couple of options:
1. Let them continue to occupy your space by holding onto them.
2. Sell them for a long slow ride, if you're looking to get as much out of them as you can.
3. Free/Junk the rest.

Vanilla-Zelda CIB collection completion: 98.9%
Missing: 4-Swords Adventures Gamecube Inserts/Manual (PM me if you're selling!)

Jan 13 at 8:21:10 AM
Gutling (130)

< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Lots of people always looking for boxes (myself included lol). Post up some pictures or some lists and im sure they will go pretty quickly here

Jan 13 at 9:53:48 AM
Quinten (15)
(Quinten Tallman) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
If you post them here I am sure you can move the bulk of them quickly. I am always looking to upgrade boxes as I find better ones.

Jan 13 at 10:12:22 AM
The Count (103)
(Grant X.) < Lolo Lord >
Minnesota
List them here and incentivize bulk purchases with discounts as shipping them really isn't expensive.

Jan 13 at 11:23:39 AM
Archangel3090 (35)
< Meka Chicken >
Manitoba
Man it took me buying 10 packs of nes sleeves for over a year at $7.50 to get the 100 mint i needed... id get like 3 a pack. The issue with nes sleeves is finding them with flat uncreased bottoms

Jan 13 at 12:51:23 PM
SUBSCRIBER
MuNKeY (131)
(Sexy Pataytas ) < Master Higgins >
Tennessee
I'll buy any empty 3DS/DS/WiiU console boxes that are Zelda related that I don't have already if the price is right.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

"POTATO"

Edited: 01/13/2018 at 12:52 PM by MuNKeY

Jan 13 at 12:57:42 PM
SUBSCRIBER
ALTQQ (73)
(Sean W) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Drop them off at a value village or local game store?

Jan 13 at 2:51:27 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Foochie776 (229)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < King Solomon >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Bert

Hmm.. I do have a pile of NES sleeves

I went nuts and bought like 250 at once, now I'm set for a while but I get tired of having them everywhere lol

May the force be with you.

Jan 14 at 12:49:02 AM
mydogsrule (162)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
There is a store near me that has a free bin where people put books, games, cds, movies etc in. I have left many items before that for whatever reason the store rejected. On the otherhand, if there wasn't a free bin then I guess I'd toss them or see if anybody on NA would be interested. Anyway, some items are trash but that's for you to decide.

Jan 15 at 6:06:22 AM
blaqwurm (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
( Smith) < Crack Trooper >
California
Originally posted by: Archangel3090

Man it took me buying 10 packs of nes sleeves for over a year at $7.50 to get the 100 mint i needed... id get like 3 a pack. The issue with nes sleeves is finding them with flat uncreased bottoms
This is the same issue I run into in the dating scene.

Jan 15 at 6:09:00 AM
blaqwurm (0)
California
Use the game boxes as packing material for other gaming items you sell. Wrap the outside in cut-open grocery store paper bags for mild protection.

Jan 16 at 2:51:54 PM
cma2032 (22)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
If you aren't going to sell them or give them directly to someone, give them to Goodwill or recycle them

Jan 16 at 3:35:19 PM
CZroe (28)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: blaqwurm

Use the game boxes as packing material for other gaming items you sell. Wrap the outside in cut-open grocery store paper bags for mild protection.
I recently got an N64 shipped to me inside a Gears of War XBOX 360 console box. Box is ruined for collector purposes, what with all the tape and mailing labels on it, but I haven’t brought myself to throw it away just yet.

Jan 16 at 3:36:25 PM
CZroe (28)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: cma2032

If you aren't going to sell them or give them directly to someone, give them to Goodwill or recycle them
I don’t think Goodwill will do anything with empty boxes except throw them away... unless they think that there’s something in there and they price it inappropriately. Seen that a few times too!

Jan 16 at 4:48:40 PM
SUBSCRIBER
BigHero1006 (25)
< Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: Quinten

If you post them here I am sure you can move the bulk of them quickly. I am always looking to upgrade boxes as I find better ones.

^ Correct.   

This is an easy fix.  You were saving these because you knew they have some monetary value.  You have can sell them here for money.  Looks win - win to me.

It’s a Nintendo Entertainment System….If I wanted to play Sega I’d call your sister!

Jan 16 at 6:37:59 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: fcgamer

Here are my thoughts, as someone who has waaay too many game-related things lying around:

If space is of the concern, or you are just tired of having the crap lying around (I know this feeling) and truly do not want these, just chuck them. Period. Space > holding onto something that you might be able to use / sell / whatever ten years from now. Just not worth it, imo, based on a small chance.

edit:  Some people are against tossing unwanted stuff, but imo, some of these folks also can't put their money where their mouth is, i.e. feel it shouldn't be tossed, but only want it if it's free, you can search my Adopt a Top Gun thread if you want evidence on it.  So you shouldn't feel shamed for tossing things, if you don't want it.

LMAO. How about instead of throwing good gaming merchandise away you go give it to a gamestore so atleast someone could use it. Throwing it away is fuckin ridiculous and wasteful. He has wii/u 3ds /ds cases. That shit is useful for a store. Im talking about a real game store. Not gamestop. Id be super stoked if someone brought me cases and manuals and boxes

NES  639 (330 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158/163(incl. Starfox Guard & Bayonetta 1)
SNES 308
N64  167
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 01/16/2018 at 06:39 PM by quest4nes

Jan 17 at 7:37:19 AM
blaqwurm (0)
California
In contrast to this, I'm reminded of the trend of GameStop dumpster diving videos from a few years back, where every sweaty neckbeard with a cell phone filmed themselves losing their shit over finding cardboard inserts to game boxes and scratched up PS2 discs in the trash like they'd just won a blowjob from Scarlett Johansson.