Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How rare is rare What is the identifiers you use?

Jan 01 at 6:50:02 PM
jvoss (9)
< Little Mac >
California
I have a very focused question. 

How do you identify the “Rarity” of a game.

Here my criteria’s for gameboy games:

1 NA ranking
2 title
3 country
4 date if known
5 version
6 id number **

Do you include the imprinted numbers on the label to identify rarity or authenticity and who is the authority for identifying this information?

-------------------------
Even Dough Boy gets lucky.

1015 gb/c out of 3000 documented games.  30% done.

Jan 01 at 7:17:17 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada
When you don't have it?

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Jan 01 at 7:21:25 PM
GoldeneyeGamer (25)
(Donald H) < Lolo Lord >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Koopa64

When you don't have it?
This. If it's not showing up at random yard sales in the area it's too rare for my blood  .

My Sales Thread and something different from a paperclip are both here.
Everything I want at the moment's listed here.
Owner of post 5001 in the Aquarius thread and 4200 in the Inner Circle HQ (Sure, why  not?)

Jan 01 at 7:30:37 PM
SUBSCRIBER
MuNKeY (124)
(Keeper of the Cheese ) < Master Higgins >
Tennessee
Stuff with very low print runs, not easily accessible to the general consumer, and do not see listed all over ebay at any given time, soooo things like prototypes and unreleased carts to me are "rare".

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Switch Friend Code: SW-2785-6913-5397

PSN: MuNKeY1974

Jan 01 at 7:30:43 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Krunch (141)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
When it consistently shows up on completionists' "last-of" lists, I consider it uncommon to rare

eBay - http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nk...

#YKNOTK

Jan 01 at 7:50:45 PM
SUBSCRIBER
SwiftFrost (197)
< King Solomon >
United States
How often an item is made for sale to the public.

Jan 01 at 8:01:01 PM
SUBSCRIBER
coffeewithmrsaturn (346)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
If multiple copies are on eBay at a given time, I typically don't consider it rare. The exception would be a rare item where the few available copies just haven't been scooped up yet, but the game/item could become rare overnight if those copies were purchased because very few new listings are ever made for that item.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 01 at 8:06:32 PM
GPX (1)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Rarity is basically directly related to your chance of attaining a given game. The higher the rarity means the less probability of either seeing it offline/online. The level of rarity changes depends on what country you're from.
A lot of resellers misunderstand the concept "the higher the rarity, the more the costs." You need to also factor in condition and demand of item.
A truly rare item that not many care, and has been rubbed in poo, likely will sell for $0.

Jan 01 at 8:09:02 PM
SUBSCRIBER
alekx (105)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
Anything that is over $100

Jan 01 at 8:20:25 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Sign Collector Guy (3)
(Benjamin ) < Lolo Lord >
Iowa
accessibility is big for me.

Jan 01 at 8:23:08 PM
barrelsAndRivets (133)
< Bowser >
California
Rare to me is things I don't expect to ever see in person.

I bought a good friend a game boy multicart from back in the day for Xmas. Might as well be one of a kind as I know that neither of us will see another. That's rare to me. Not all that valuable, but rare.

Jan 01 at 8:25:06 PM
SUBSCRIBER
xMaGuSx (59)
< Bowser >
Massachusetts
For me rare is an item that.....rarely pops up for sale, mainly on ebay/FB. And by that i mean only a handful at any given time. Even better if it only comes up for sale once or twice a year like some of the signs and posters i am after.

Most games are not truly rare, they just can be expensive because of demand. And some of the rarest games, don't even always have a price to reflect its rarity because of lack of demand for it. There are a few PS1 titles that i rarely ever see, and yet when they do come up, they go for almost nothing because nobody wants them. Maybe when people start going for PS1 full sets maybe.

Print runs have a lot to do with this. The less an item is made, the less there are available and out there, especially after decades. Add in the demand to the equation and you can get some very hard to find pricey items.

Be water my friend. 

Jan 01 at 8:35:02 PM
Wolfman (106)
(E-vard Zadams) < Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Krunch

When it consistently shows up on completionists' "last-of" lists, I consider it uncommon to rare

Agreed - Best way to gauge, however I think much of NA's database was based off last of lists

Aaaaaaa-Whoooooooooooooooooooo

Lots good to trade! > Click Here <

Jan 01 at 8:43:07 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
If few copies of any show up on the obvious ebay listings that's a dead give away. Or if there is a consistent stream that worldwide won't fill an entire 50page listing and the prices are garbage (three figures and up) then probably it is legitimately rare too as most those listings are braggarts and squatters. The less you can dig up on confirmed information about a title, or maybe something that you feel or know came with it, that's another one.

Edited: 01/01/2018 at 08:43 PM by VmprHntrD

Jan 01 at 8:54:51 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Rarity to me is just the perceived difficulty of obtaining the specific item. This varies greatly with factors such as location, platform, and mediums that can be used to purchase said item. I would assume the large box Pokemon Box and LE Mario Kart 8 are more common in New York than California just due to the fact they were released only at the NYC store. Same with specific games that were only released in Mexico and/or Spanish speaking areas (Luche Libre, FIFA 14, etc.). Platforms also make a huge difference. A rare game to an Atari collector is not nearly the same as a rare game for an NES collector or a PS collector or a WiiU collector. Or throw in sealed games for that matter. What's rare to a sealed collector is not even close to the same as what's rare to a CIB or cart only collector. I also mentioned the mediums that could be used to purchase these items effect rarity as well. I know quite a few collectors that refuse to use any online form of buying games and will only buy them at game stores. What's rare to them might just be rare in their area but easily accessable to nearly everyone else. Or items that are only found in collectors' hands - you might have to be one of a select few to even have a chance at aquiring it. No matter how you look at it, rarity is subjective to every collector. It also changes over time with things like items becoming more/less available or a collector's perception changing over time.

Let's Go Penguins!

Jan 01 at 9:30:43 PM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < El Ripper >
Texas
Rare is basically the difficulty to obtain it and see it for sale.
Just will put this as an example, of course not for resales. Transformers for the DS, I have yet to see one for sale in the last 4 years of collecting anywhere online, or in person and it is one of 6 I need left, so that would be very rare. I even have a complete set of USA Pokemon distribution, but still don't have this one. In fact, the Pokemon Distributions are not considered rare at all anymore to me since they have been completely leaked even if they fetch high prices for the most part.
Another factor would be condition wise for very rare games. One thing is the game is very rare, but to find one in a minty condition state, now that's even more rare and would go for an even higher premium.

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

*Coming soon. Site for all video game Not For Resale/Demos. PM me if you want to help out. Status: 80% done.*

Jan 01 at 9:54:04 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
rarity is relative

/thread

NES  636 (330 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158/163(incl. Starfox Guard & Bayonetta 1)
SNES 306
N64  167
Original Gameboy 48

Jan 01 at 10:21:48 PM
Allegro (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
I only consider things rare when those boys over at NintendoAge say that they're rare. Those guys know their stuff.

Jan 01 at 10:33:12 PM
yukfou (106)
(Great Dragon) < Ridley Wrangler >
Maryland
Originally posted by: quest4nes

rarity is relative

/thread

^this exactly.

Dokapon journey for the DS is a rare DS game, especially a complete copy, but it is nowhere near as rare as even a loose stadium events.

To me, each system has their "rarer" games, but there are only a few truly rare gaming related items (games, controllers, consoles, accessories, etc).

Jan 01 at 11:01:25 PM
bootload (7)

< Meka Chicken >
If I was given $1,000,000 and 24 hours to find one......and I fail.
If you can find one, it isn't rare.

Jan 02 at 12:01:50 AM
Allegro (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
Originally posted by: bootload

If I was given $1,000,000 and 24 hours to find one......and I fail.
If you can find one, it isn't rare.
Out of curiosity, is there anything gaming related that you can't find in 24 hours with $1 million USD? Is the joke here that there is no gaming related item that is rare by this definition?

Does it have to also be in your hands at the end of that 24 hour period, or do you only require the deal to have acquired it to have been completed?

Jan 02 at 1:37:00 AM
bootload (7)

< Meka Chicken >
No, I'm serious, and I just mean if you can find it for sale. Try and find a 3 screw Donkey Kong Jr. Math cartridge or a non-hangtab box for it.......good luck. Or try and find a sealed non -1 Athletic World, does it exist? These things are truly rare, a Little Samson cartridge that sold 50,000 copies at retail isn't rare, I can ask 10 of my friends and find a copy for sale.

Jan 02 at 2:15:48 AM
Trevor (14)

< Meka Chicken >
United States
lol

Jan 02 at 8:45:24 AM
mike99mccarthy (1)
(Mike McCarthy) < Crack Trooper >
Florida
At PRGE their were more copies of stadium events than their were Monster in my pocket or Motor city patrol  

Jan 02 at 8:52:04 AM
beardcore84 (6)
(Cody ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Nebraska
When I've been searching for a game or two for a year and I literally can find zero way to purchase it. That's rare. Like a truly rare game. Literally any game I've wanted for my collection, I've had the OPTION of purchasing, through eBay, etc.

Sure some games are harder to find than others. But these days you can find almost anything online. Locally, I think some things are much rarer. I've never seen a copy of Kid Kleetz or Ardy Lightfoot besides the ones I own personally. I very rarely ever see anything related to the Atari Lynx or Turbo Grafx 16.

I can't find a NTSC copy of CJ Elephant Fugitive or Pete Sampras Tennis for Game Gear to purchase. I've been looking for almost a year now. I've tried eBay, Amazon, multiple forums, Instagram, etc. I've never seen copies in person. These are more rare than any Nintendo 64 game, and probably any SNES game, maybe save for the mtn bike speed racer combo cart. Just from my observation.

Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom