Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Going to start a new set to collect. Need some suggestions

Oct 12 at 11:04:27 AM
MasonSushi (82)
(Mason 8-Bit_Nes) < King Solomon >
South Carolina
Hey guys,

I know this gets asked a lot, but I am torn on what set to complete next. I was considering Gamecube, or Saturn. I have 217 Cube games with many of the big hitters. Now I only have around 20 Saturn games, but I have all 3 Panzer games, all but one of the Working design games (MKR), Guardean Heroes, and a some other ok games. I will do both at some point, but not sure where I want to go with it. A small part of me says go for a loose GB set as well. Anyway shoot me some ideas. 

Thanks guys,

Mason 

-------------------------
Come visit my youtube channel

MasonSushi YouTube Channel

Oct 12 at 11:27:12 AM
MrWunderful (260)
(AKA MrWarmonger ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Both good choices.

I would go saturn over GCN myself, I was never a huge fan of the cube and from an investment standpoint, I feel saturn will be more valuable in the long run.

Oct 12 at 11:30:52 AM
MasonSushi (82)
South Carolina
I was leaning that way. I was smart and complete my TG-16 set, and glad I did it before the big price spike. Systems with limited runs are great investment opportunities.

Oct 12 at 11:45:22 AM
Boosted52405 (457)
(Eric Bizzle) < King Solomon >
Iowa
Damn you have over 200+ cube games, that would be my vote given that situation. Isn't gamecube catching steam? Or perhaps they are leveling out some...

Oct 12 at 11:47:18 AM
acidjaguar (620)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
I'd vote for loose GB! Great set to get after, but otherwise I'd suggest casually hitting the GC set while focusing on the Saturn full set as a main priority.

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

Oct 12 at 11:51:40 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Stryphos (270)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
I've personally enjoyed collecting for the Saturn. Sounds like you have some of the bigger ones out of the way. There are quite a few though in the Saturn library mind you  

Haves     |     Wants

Oct 12 at 12:31:36 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Let fate decide. Whatever you find next in the wild

NES  636 (330 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158/163(incl. Starfox Guard & Bayonetta 1)
SNES 304
N64  166
Original Gameboy 48

Oct 12 at 12:40:33 PM
rlh (36)
( Potatoe!) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
I have an exceptional copy of MKR (Fuu disc) if interested. I'm mostly interested in trades though. PM me if interested. Hit my sig for items I'm looking for.

[My FO/FT and WTTF NA Posts]
~ OR ~
[GameValueNow.com List: WTTF]

Oct 12 at 12:41:43 PM
rlh (36)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: acidjaguar

I'd vote for loose GB! Great set to get after, but otherwise I'd suggest casually hitting the GC set while focusing on the Saturn full set as a main priority.

Sorry, I just saw this.  Yeah, I've been working on a loose GB set for over a year (including all label variants) I'm about 62-3% complete and it's been fun.  I highly recommend it.

~ OR ~

Oct 12 at 1:12:45 PM
DefaultGen (21)
(Tyler Wilkin) < El Ripper >
United States
Game Boy is fun, cheap, loose carts are easy to find, and they don't take up any room. The games are also usually pretty short and easy to play. Saturn games might be harder to find in the future if you're picking one to attack first. Gamecube, meh  

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #79:
Christmas Pricing Trends and Jesus' Real Birthday

Oct 12 at 1:26:54 PM
Meteor_of_War (15)
< Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Saturn is a great system to collect for, but very expensive and those dreaded plastic cases break so easily.  Honestly the cases are what made me stop collecting for it.  SO hard to get them in good condition.

*My NA Seller thread*
*My Local Find's Thread*

Oct 12 at 1:44:00 PM
Bert (53)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Some underrated sets to go after:

GBC
Famicom
Atari 2600
Dreamcast

Not too difficult, but still some challenge. Except Atari 2600, the last 5-6 you can count on not ever having, but the rest is fun  

Oct 12 at 10:31:45 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Go for GameBoy.
Pick up a few GameCube games here and there and eventual you'll end up with a set.

Oct 12 at 10:44:00 PM
dragonwarrior83 (12)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
I like the gameboy idea for nostalgia but from a collectors standpoint the Saturn stuff is hard to come by and hard to find in good shape, first because it's CD based and not everyone took care of them and as mentioned the plastic case. I think one broke when I was probably 15 from dropping a quarter of weed on the case causing a crack down the cover, and ironically I believe it was the case for virtua cop. I personally don't collect Saturn stuff but I rarely see it in the wild while I do see quite a bit of gamecube. Really whatever you think you'll have the most fun collecting and playing.

Oct 12 at 10:44:18 PM
SUBSCRIBER
ALTQQ (63)
(Sean W) < Kraid Killer >
British Columbia
Cube before the prices soar. Saturn can wait Sega is cheap

Oct 13 at 6:32:22 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
The problem with Saturn, unless you're collecting loose ones, you will be seeing a ton of ones with completely damaged\destroyed cases. That plastic got really brittle on some of the cases, and the hinges snap off with ease.

Oct 13 at 6:42:46 AM
kamakaze_ekun (5)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Are you planning to stick it out with US Saturn games, or branch out into JPN and PAL region too?

I am like a huge melting pot of friendship!!!

Oct 13 at 8:02:24 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube King) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
GameCube. I need the competition.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Oct 13 at 8:52:57 AM
snes_collector (74)
(Jordan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
The system you like to play games on the most. Not which one has the most "investment opportunity"

Oct 13 at 8:58:52 AM
MasonSushi (82)
South Carolina
Originally posted by: DarkTone

GameCube. I need the competition.
I always do the US set, but I pick up my favorite imports. Part of me says if I do the saturn set, I could get all my favorites complete and the bulk of the common shit as disc only. I have never done that for a set; but considering the case size and fragility if I was ever to do it for a set the Saturn should be the one I do it for.  

Oct 13 at 9:13:45 AM
rlh (36)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

The problem with Saturn, unless you're collecting loose ones, you will be seeing a ton of ones with completely damaged\destroyed cases. That plastic got really brittle on some of the cases, and the hinges snap off with ease.

This is exactly half of the reason of why I'm getting out of the Saturn game. I'm only keeping the lesser priced titles that are actually fun to play.

I have a couple of quality titles in great shape, however, after doing research, you REALLY need to be a preservationist to keep this stuff.  Be super-careful openning your games, don't play the more expensive ones and be sure to keep the foam inserts in the cases so the manuals don't buckle.  Also, supposedly you have to maintain good humidity to avoid disc rot because, for some reason, SEGA CD/Saturn games really are super-cheap CD media and many examples of Saturn games have rotted pits, which you can see when you hold the game up to the light.

I'm not going to say that people shouldn't collect Saturn games or that they shouldn't enjoy playing their collection.  However, just know that Saturn games frail. Be sure to factor in that you will want to make extra-effort to preserve your collection for a long time.

~ OR ~

Oct 13 at 10:39:22 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: rlh

Also, supposedly you have to maintain good humidity to avoid disc rot because, for some reason, SEGA CD/Saturn games really are super-cheap CD media and many examples of Saturn games have rotted pits, which you can see when you hold the game up to the light.

I've been one talking about disc rot for years, most people think I'm crazy.  I've seen it most on old CDs with a silver top, I really wonder if the top layer is thinner or more prone to scratches.  Once it gets air in there, the clear part of the CD will "grow", I've seen ones where a quarter or more of the CD were clear. 

Oct 13 at 10:53:55 AM
rlh (36)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

Originally posted by: rlh

Also, supposedly you have to maintain good humidity to avoid disc rot because, for some reason, SEGA CD/Saturn games really are super-cheap CD media and many examples of Saturn games have rotted pits, which you can see when you hold the game up to the light.

I've been one talking about disc rot for years, most people think I'm crazy.  I've seen it most on old CDs with a silver top, I really wonder if the top layer is thinner or more prone to scratches.  Once it gets air in there, the clear part of the CD will "grow", I've seen ones where a quarter or more of the CD were clear. 

Yeah, I agree from an "educated guess" perspective.  I think the printed layer on top of most other games assists in stablizing the metallic layer.  From my observation most Saturn games are not printed on top of the discs but certainly some are (MKR, for example.)  Anyway, even those seem to have a thinner layer than other games.  When you hold them up to a light, you can still see through many of them.  I think this is because the metallic layer is thinner than most other CD-games.

~ OR ~

Oct 13 at 11:02:02 AM
Penguin (238)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Saturn is awesome and I highly recommend it, I kind of regret selling all my Saturn games. There's an awesome library of light gun games on the system.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Oct 13 at 11:03:54 AM
GPX (1)

< Crack Trooper >
This topic is like asking "which tastes better, apples or oranges?" While it's good to select a platform to focus on, I think it's more important to do it smartly and do it so you understand it's challenges before diving in deep.
As some have mentioned, with Saturn games, you have to be weary of those damn covers easily breaking/cracks and discs are likely to have more scratches/damage than GameCube games. Personally, I enjoy collecting the Saturn more because it has that added challenge!