Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Does Star Fox 2 now count for the full SNES set?

Oct 09 at 10:29:40 AM
gunpei (6)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Koopa64

another relevant fact you left out is star fox 2 is available for sale pre-installed on a physical, functional product. that should separate it from pure digital downloads on general purpose gaming consoles (wii, wii u)
Troll level + +

Physical functional release:

Physical not download release:

If a game that isn't compatible with a Super Nintendo is needed to have a full Super Nintendo set, then either of these would count towards a full GameCube set.

still awfully sensitive about differing opinions though
How do you do, Mr. Pot?
Do you want to hear reasons for disagreement or not? Oh, you don't, it's just noise.

Oct 09 at 11:14:24 AM
MrWunderful (259)
(Corey ) < Master Higgins >
California

the only relevant fact you listed is the snes classic isn't compatible with the original snes. the rest of what you just said is pretty much just noise.

another relevant fact you left out is star fox 2 is available for sale pre-installed on a physical, functional product. that should separate it from pure digital downloads on general purpose gaming consoles (wii, wii u etc).

still awfully sensitive about differing opinions though

Your trolling to single handedly keep this thread alive is getting old. 

Consider this your only warning, next time will result in a 2 week vacay. 

To everyone else, please argue pro or con on the topic at hand or this thread will get locked up. 

Edited: 10/09/2017 at 11:16 AM by MrWunderful

Oct 09 at 8:39:05 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< Crack Trooper >
United States
I'd argue Star Fox 2 is technically compatible with the SNES, if you bother to rewire as FX chipped game and throw it on a spare chip just like the existing boots of the late beta. May not be official in that form, but it is official on the product they released as a SNES. I know it's splitting hairs, but from a non-heavily invested collectors stand point there is a truth to it.

Oct 09 at 8:54:23 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: VmprHntrD

I'd argue Star Fox 2 is technically compatible with the SNES, if you bother to rewire as FX chipped game and throw it on a spare chip just like the existing boots of the late beta. May not be official in that form, but it is official on the product they released as a SNES. I know it's splitting hairs, but from a non-heavily invested collectors stand point there is a truth to it.
From a collector's standpoint, though, it was never officially released on a SNES cartridge. I mean, are we supposed to jam the SNES classic in between StarFox and Star Trek DS9?

Many collectors will probably get the SNES classic, but it'll sit in its box next to the other SNES CIBs.

Oct 09 at 9:50:01 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
(Ay Jay Will-Yams) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: KAMIKAWA

EDIT: But as far as the Eathbound badge goes, I know it was kinda asked in jest, but that's gotta stick to cart only IMO
Oh, haaaaiill no! Yiou want an Earthbound badge, you gotta include the Japanese only releases, including the Famicom and GBA variants.

It's only fair, since there are two games in the series never released in the west. Physical coolectors wanna be "cool" and collect what's relavent in their minds. Forget the awesome far east releases from the land of the rising sun...

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 10/09/2017 at 09:51 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 09 at 9:52:59 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Your trolling to single handedly keep this thread alive is getting old.

He's not the only one. Stength in numbers, mhua-ha-ha...  

Oct 09 at 9:53:22 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: VmprHntrD

Thank you!  

Oct 10 at 9:16:57 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I don't really think it does. There has been some fascinating points made throughout this thread certainly, and in the end, despite whatever justification someone has, it's all opinion. To me, if I can't buy the cart (that was licensed by Nintendo) to play on my SNES, I don't feel like it should count toward a licensed set of SNES carts.

I think the discussion could really get somewhere if Nintendo actually released licensed carts of Starfox 2.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Oct 10 at 10:00:48 PM
attakid101 (19)
(Fredo ) < King Solomon >
Idaho
Originally posted by: the tall guy

I don't really think it does. There has been some fascinating points made throughout this thread certainly, and in the end, despite whatever justification someone has, it's all opinion. To me, if I can't buy the cart (that was licensed by Nintendo) to play on my SNES, I don't feel like it should count toward a licensed set of SNES carts.

I think the discussion could really get somewhere if Nintendo actually released licensed carts of Starfox 2.
Lock it, Randy. You know you want to....

Oct 10 at 10:23:51 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< Crack Trooper >
United States
I'd have to admit if Nintendo did even a limited run, very limited like the old silver or gold NES Nintendo world championship carts from the magazine/event in size for Star Fox 2 I'd be laughing at the irony of it all. That alone would make for a very interesting and amusing argument about it being in the set given it would be a Nintendo made ROM, on a Nintendo made cart, and released to the Nintendo loving market in some manner to be used on original hardware much like that reshelled street fighter II earlier this year. I think it would be a bit more dicey to try and call something Nintendo made as an excluded item.

Oct 10 at 10:40:08 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I think that's what it comes down to. If Nintendo released it on a cart to play on the SNES, we could have the discussion on whether it could be part of the full SNES licensed set. As it stands, it's not even close. There's no official cartridge for this. Just pirates.

Oct 10 at 11:14:23 PM
gunpei (6)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Yeah, that would be different

Oct 10 at 11:24:51 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
Louisiana
Could one at least agree that Star Fox 2 is an official licensed release, even if not technically provided on an SNES cart?

Oct 10 at 11:28:52 PM
Bert (52)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Could one at least agree that Star Fox 2 is an official licensed release, even if not technically provided on an SNES cart?

That I do agree with. It was an official, legitimate release. But just as Super Mario All-stars Wii edition doesn't belong in an SNES set, neither does this, imo. That's the closest comparison I can think of, it's an SNES rom in a different package. I wonder if that ROM has been extracted and put on a cart to see if there are any differences.

But anyway, for me, if you're collecting an SNES set, aka SNES carts, no this doesn't go with it. I bet not one person here who feel it belongs, actually collects SNES to build the full set.

Oct 10 at 11:29:46 PM
guillavoie (124)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

Of course it is man, that game has been officially released by Nintendo, there's no question there.

Oct 10 at 11:34:33 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Bert

That I do agree with. It was an official, legitimate release. But just as Super Mario All-stars Wii edition doesn't belong in an SNES set, neither does this, imo. That's the closest comparison I can think of, it's an SNES rom in a different package. I wonder if that ROM has been extracted and put on a cart to see if there are any differences. But anyway, for me, if you're collecting an SNES set, aka SNES carts, no this doesn't go with it. I bet not one person here who feel it belongs, actually collects SNES to build the full set.
I'm not into collecting full sets of mostly worthless games. Most systems about 10% of the library are excellent must have games, and on top of that maybe another 20% have some redeeming quality that make them worth owning. Of course the amount of shovelware varies per system, but there's enough filler content out there, and let's be honest, noone with a complete set of anything has time to play them all. Well maybe except for Pat's NES book where he literally reviews everything. But that's more academic research than recreation.

Edited: 10/10/2017 at 11:35 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 10 at 11:38:20 PM
Bert (52)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

That I do agree with. It was an official, legitimate release. But just as Super Mario All-stars Wii edition doesn't belong in an SNES set, neither does this, imo. That's the closest comparison I can think of, it's an SNES rom in a different package. I wonder if that ROM has been extracted and put on a cart to see if there are any differences. But anyway, for me, if you're collecting an SNES set, aka SNES carts, no this doesn't go with it. I bet not one person here who feel it belongs, actually collects SNES to build the full set.
I'm not into collecting full sets of mostly worthless games. Most systems about 10% of the library are excellent must have games, and on top of that maybe another 20% have some redeeming quality that make them worth owning. Of course the amount of shovelware varies per system, but there's enough filler content out there, and let's be honest, noone with a complete set of anything has time to play them all. Well maybe except for Pat's NES book where he literally reviews everything. But that's more academic research than recreation.

There's nothing wrong with that, and I know you're not alone in that opinion. But we're discussing if this belongs in the full set of SNES games and you are one of the biggest supporters, even though you have no interest in persuing it yourself. I'm not trying to say that invalidates your opinion, and I also do not collect for a full SNES set, but I feel like if you asked someone who actually does, they would generally say no.

Edited: 10/10/2017 at 11:38 PM by Bert

Oct 10 at 11:39:56 PM
guillavoie (124)
Quebec

Not that it's important, but Pat's books are nothing that should be called 'academic research'  

Oct 11 at 12:08:07 AM
Trevor (12)

< Meka Chicken >
United States

Yeah I definitely agree with that.

Oct 11 at 12:15:08 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Not that it's important, but Pat's books are nothing that should be called 'academic research'  

I meant that the act of playing every nes game in the entire library was academic research on pat's behalf, in order to put the book together.

Oct 11 at 12:19:21 AM
guillavoie (124)
Quebec
I guess you could say that, but it still makes me cringe in a sense, and I wouldn't undermine the recreational aspect of such practice (ie : it is not because you play a bad game to write a review that you're not having fun doing it).

Oct 11 at 12:21:41 AM
Malachi Constant (2)
< Eggplant Wizard >
There is one thing no one can really argue with, and that is: Star Fox 2 is an official Nintendo release of a Super Nintendo game. It was developed for Super Nintendo and it plays on a system emulating a Super Nintendo. If you burn it onto a rom it will play on the official hardware. And Nintendo officially released it on the Snes Classic Mini. In itself I think this is super cool and exciting, and I feel a lot of people in this thread lose sight of how unique this really is.

What it comes down to, then, is whether you collect officially released games or officially released cartridges. If you collect officially released games you'll 100% need a Snes Classic Mini (and since all the other 20 games on it are also official releases, they would also count the same as cartridges). Along this same line of thinking, buying a Snes game through Virtual Console means that it is also considered a part of your Snes game collection. I don't see what's fuzzy here. It's a consistent and straightforward definition of game collecting. It's like collecting movies of a particular type and owning some of them on VHS, some on laser disc and some on bluray.

If you only collect cartridge releases on the other hand, then obviously Star Fox 2 wouldn't be considered part of the collection, and you'd still have to own the cartridge releases of the other 20 games on the system. This is how most collectors define their hobby I guess.

What no one can argue with though is that Star Fox 2 as of last week is an officially released Super Nintendo game. If I were a collector, that fact alone would make me want to get a Mini.

Edited: 10/11/2017 at 12:29 AM by Malachi Constant

Oct 11 at 12:23:21 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
Louisiana

There's nothing wrong with that, and I know you're not alone in that opinion. But we're discussing if this belongs in the full set of SNES games and you are one of the biggest supporters, even though you have no interest in persuing it yourself. I'm not trying to say that invalidates your opinion, and I also do not collect for a full SNES set, but I feel like if you asked someone who actually does, they would generally say no.
Looking at the game subjectively, it is: #1 licensed by nintendo. #2 ROM is formatted for the SNES system. So it is a licensed snes game with a release date of 2017, just not in cartidge form factor.

One does not need a desire to collect an entire set to be interested as a body of works as a whole. I consider Japanese releases to be part of the set too, and collect them when feasible to do so. My SNES may not be considered stock as I broke the tabs on it, but Super Famicom carts are a subset of SNES games and fully playable on my console.

A lot of gems did not see release in the west so why exclude them? Ditto for previously unreleased games...

Oct 11 at 1:39:47 AM
gunpei (6)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois

Yes, of course 

One does not need a desire to collect an entire set to be interested as a body of works as a whole.
Also agreed. I'm very interested in unreleased stuff. And, for instance, Famicom exclusives but I wouldn't require them for a NES full set.  

Another example, I collect a particular comic book series which had #1-8 issues with an indie, then had a much longer run on an imprint of a major publisher. I have/collect both because I like the character, but I wouldn't say you need publisher A issues 1-8 to count a full run of publisher B issues 1-300andwhatever. If they kept the same numbering system across the shift (starting with B at #9), then perhaps. But they didn't, neither did Nintendo keep the same format across the 20 year gap.

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 12:57 AM by gunpei

Oct 11 at 1:49:09 AM
Buyatari (10)
(Adam Harvey) < Lolo Lord >
Ohio

Official - check
Licensed - check
Release - check
SNES - nope
SNES Classic - check

Edited: 10/11/2017 at 01:50 AM by Buyatari