Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Did Canada host Nintendo's first National Championship? I need someone to help me be a detective!

May 04 at 11:10:09 AM
CBsRetroTs (1)
< Little Mac >
California
Please tell me that you feel like being Sherlock Holmes!

I recently came across a post of a Canadian National Challenge 1990 that happened just months before Nintendo Powerfest 1990 (otherwise known as Nintendo World Championships 1990). 

Here's a link to the advertisement that I found:
http://videogamecomicads.blogspot...

There was a tour of 8-10? cities. There was a champion on October 7th 1990, just months before the US National Championship (although they say it was a world championship it wasn't really, was it?) Were there competitors from Canada as well as other countries at NWC 1990? Japanese contestants?

Look at the bottom left corner of the front page of this magazine!

https://archive.org/details/Ninte..." target="_blank">https://archive.org/details/Ninte...

And the second page of this one!

https://archive.org/details/Nintendo_Power_Flash_Canada_Issue_06_Winter_1990

Here's a pin from the event:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Nint...

Does anyone know more about this?

Was this the first Nintendo National Championship? It ws just outshined by the NWC 1990? 

If you have an answer I will be impressed! Good Job, Sherlock!

-------------------------
I'm on Instagram as @CBsRetroTs. I collect mainly vintage gaming apparel, but you will see other stuff screaming nostalgia as well! WTB: Vintage Gaming Apparel and Promo Apparel (shirts, hats, jackets), NWC 1990 Shirt FT/FO: Always open to ideas!

May 04 at 11:14:59 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (15)
(Matt ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
The fictional competition from the 1989 movie "The Wizard"

What I've been printing: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 04 at 2:38:35 PM
GCrites80s (0)
(G Crites) < El Ripper >
Ohio
I think it was called Denim Challenge '90

May 04 at 2:50:17 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: SNESNESCUBE64

Huh?   I haven't seen the wizard but the flyer has real people from real cities on it?  

Seems like canada once again kicked ass.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 05/04/2017 at 02:50 PM by Bronty

May 04 at 2:51:24 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Kudos to you OP for discovering this

Americans.. late to the party. Tsk

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

May 04 at 3:25:31 PM
SUBSCRIBER
TheToxieRules (69)
(Cyrus ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Of course we did, we fucking rock.

How ya friggen doin there bud?

May 04 at 4:58:43 PM
CBsRetroTs (1)
< Little Mac >
California
I just find it so interesting that no one mentions this competition. Maybe it wasn't as grandiose as the American competition, but its still an early milestone of Nintendo history. I'm assuming there are articles in Japanese talking about early competitions in Japan! If anyone can do some research in Japanese online that would be awesome, because I'm not willing to learn a new language just for the purpose of this research. Thanks again.

If anyone can find a photograph or something that would be amazing!

I'm on Instagram as @CBsRetroTs. I collect mainly vintage gaming apparel, but you will see other stuff screaming nostalgia as well! WTB: Vintage Gaming Apparel and Promo Apparel (shirts, hats, jackets), NWC 1990 Shirt FT/FO: Always open to ideas!

May 04 at 5:05:17 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
apparently it was mentioned in nintendo power flash 8 : https://archive.org/stream/Ninten...

The name of the
game is everywhere.

Have you noticed that the word "Nintendo'
is becoming part of the language? People
don't talk about playing video games, they
talk about playing Nintendo.

And a lot more of them will be playing it
after the Nintendo National Challenge
Tour 1990! Ifs the biggest, most challeng-
ing Nintendo competition ever held and
ifs brought to you by Nintendo and Game
Boy.

However, the schedule you see here
could change. To double (and triple)
check when the Tour is going to be In
your area, call the Power Club Hot Line -
1 -416-253-PLAY (7529). (Long distance
charges will apply.)

July 18 Les Promenades St-Bruno,
Montreal, Quebec

July 19 July 20 July 21-22

July 24

July 28

J uly 31 Downtown BIA, Saskatoon,

Saskatchewan

August 2-4 West Edmonton Mall, Edmonton, Alberta

Aug. 6-7 Vancouver, British Columbia, T.B.D.

Les Galeries d'Anjou, Montreal Le Carrefour Laval, Montreal Les Galeries de la Capitate, Quebec City

Fairview Shopping Centre, Montreal, Quebec Polo Park, Winnipeg,

Manitoba

July 29

St. Vital Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Aug. 16-23 Super Ex, Ottawa, Ontario Aug. 25 - Canada's Wonderland,

Sept. 3 Toronto

Sept./Oct. More to Come. Stay tuned!

Remember, to be absolutely sure, call the Power Club Hot Line - 1-41 6-253-PLAY (7529) - about a week before the tour is scheduled to hit your town. Then get set for the fun and challenge as the Nintendo National Challenge Tour 1990 hits the road. It's going to be a power surge!

Edited: 05/04/2017 at 05:09 PM by Bronty

May 04 at 5:09:35 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: Bronty

Americans.. late to the party. Tsk
That's our thing. We show up when everyone else is tired and take credit. Hey, it worked for two world wars.  

May 04 at 5:24:37 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire

Huh?   I haven't seen the wizard but the flyer has real people from real cities on it?  

You gotta be kidding...I'm blown away that there are any long timers here who have never seen this movie

The final round in 'The Wizard' movie was based on getting the highest score in Super Mario Bros 3. However, The Wizard was filmed in June/July 1989, he meant to say the rules were the same as the fictional competition in 'The Wizard'

May 04 at 5:26:44 PM
CBsRetroTs (1)
< Little Mac >
California
Killer find Bronty!

Sherlock himself is in the building!

So....
Here's the deal....
I have a finalist plaque, a qualifying correspondence letter, a great event t-shirt, and the schedule of events..........in the mail.

I truly hope that this is not a scam and that they actually arrive in a few days, but I will not 100% believe it until I see it.

FINGERS CROSSED!

I'll keep those of you that are interested updated!

May 04 at 5:28:15 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Trj22487

You gotta be kidding...I'm blown away that there are any long timers here who have never seen this movie

The final round in 'The Wizard' movie was based on getting the highest score in Super Mario Bros 3. However, The Wizard was filmed in June/July 1989, he meant to say the rules were the same as the fictional competition in 'The Wizard'

I spend more time collecting than playing, so my general interest level in wizard/nwc/competitive gaming is close to nil.    I'm more interested in these games as classics we all enjoyed as kids than as something to make (IMO) a pretend sport out of, if that makes sense.

May 04 at 5:29:01 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: CBsRetroTs

Killer find Bronty!

Sherlock himself is in the building!

So....
Here's the deal....
I have a finalist plaque, a qualifying correspondence letter, a great event t-shirt, and the schedule of events..........in the mail.

I truly hope that this is not a scam and that they actually arrive in a few days, but I will not 100% believe it until I see it.

FINGERS CROSSED!

I'll keep those of you that are interested updated!

Awesome!   Post it when you get it!

May 04 at 6:46:37 PM
icarwngs55 (67)
(Michael D) < El Ripper >
United States
What OP means to say is he "has in the mail" after he back doored another buyer... Just sayin

May 04 at 7:01:49 PM
CBsRetroTs (1)
< Little Mac >
California
Originally posted by: icarwngs55

What OP means to say is he "has in the mail" after he back doored another buyer... Just sayin

Hey!
So you were the other guy!...It was the seller that didn't handle the situation perfectly. Nothing shady happened on my end, but I'm sorry we both didn't win!

May 04 at 7:05:40 PM
icarwngs55 (67)
United States

Hey!
So you were the other guy!...It was the seller that didn't handle the situation perfectly. Nothing shady happened on my end, but I'm sorry we both didn't win!

Well granted they handled it horribly; later trying to squeeze me for more money. It was the definition of backdoored. I had the initial knowledge of all items involved. I paid. Went to bed. Was supposed to be mailed next day. Instead got random refund stating someone offered him more.

Text book

May 04 at 7:15:54 PM
CBsRetroTs (1)
< Little Mac >
California
Sorry, man...but you will be the first person I contact if I ever decide to sell it. Seem like a more straightforward deal than he gave us? That's the best I can say!

May 04 at 7:15:58 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Hey!

Well granted they handled it horribly; later trying to squeeze me for more money. It was the definition of backdoored. I had the initial knowledge of all items involved. I paid. Went to bed. Was supposed to be mailed next day. Instead got random refund stating someone offered him more.

Text book

Was it an auction or just a "seller"?

Its really only a backdoor if there is a completed auction.

Otherwise buyer B can make an honest offer with zero knowledge of buyer A's offer and his just happens to be higher; not his fault if seller takes the money and screws someone else he didn't even know was interested.

May 04 at 7:22:57 PM
CBsRetroTs (1)
< Little Mac >
California
It was an ebay ad with buy it now and best offer. He didn't take the ad down until way after I had payed....so believe it or not....I thought that I was being back doored! or scammed! It was just a dirty mess. Simple as that.

May 04 at 7:29:55 PM
icarwngs55 (67)
United States

Hey!

Text book

Otherwise buyer B can make an honest offer with zero knowledge of buyer A's offer and his just happens to be higher; not his fault if seller takes the money and screws someone else he didn't even know was interested.

Interest Was initially sparked by an auction that could not be purchased due to improper listing. So no not a straight auction. But I (according to seller) was first to inquire about all items and struck a deal. And was paid for. 

Bronty I respect you for too many reasons to name, but this was backdoored. Even so much so that I have images of saying "tell him it sold" so... I'm biter 

But tis life

May 04 at 7:44:32 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Fair enough.   I wasn't trying to suggest I knew what happened; was just pointing out a possibility but yeah you sound to be in a much better position to judge.   Sorry dude.

Edited: 05/04/2017 at 07:46 PM by Bronty

May 04 at 7:52:30 PM
CBsRetroTs (1)
< Little Mac >
California

Hey!

Text book

Interest Was initially sparked by an auction that could not be purchased due to improper listing. So no not a straight auction. But I (according to seller) was first to inquire about all items and struck a deal. And was paid for. 

Bronty I respect you for too many reasons to name, but this was backdoored. Even so much so that I have images of saying "tell him it sold" so... I'm biter 

But tis life

Well, I've seen your posts for a few years now....and I'm sorry we started off on the wrong foot. I've been reading these forums from afar and you have quite the impressive collection. The sale was just a bit of a shit show for the both of us and I hope that we can make amends in future posts. You seem like one of the "heavy hitters" of these forums and I'm sorry we met under such circumstances. Catch ya later!

May 04 at 7:54:45 PM
icarwngs55 (67)
United States
I'm bitter but I will live... Again...Tis life...Tis collecting

I wish you the best of luck

May 04 at 11:49:02 PM
PeteDiak (195)
(Pete Diak) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I have a button from the event. I am going to post a pic when I find it. It will be for sale on NA

May 05 at 8:53:47 AM
8-bit_boice (35)
(Josh Boice) < Meka Chicken >
Kansas
I have 2 buttons from Nintendo Challenge 1989 that are both from Canada. One is in English and the other French?