Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What happaned to Pokemon GB/GBA craze?

Mar 18 at 9:30:59 PM
yukfou (103)
(Great Dragon) < Kraid Killer >
Maryland
Originally posted by: JerToxieRules

Originally posted by: yukfou

You know what else could be driving down the prices is GameStop selling the old games for reasonable prices. $18 for Pokemon firered is better than $30 from most other places. GameStops readily available supply could lead to their prices becoming the new norm.

It's just bootlegs man.

Nah. They might contribute but they've been around for well over 5 years and haven't effected the price too much so you have to ask why now all of a sudden. It has to be other factors as well.

Mar 18 at 9:39:24 PM
Bert (40)
< Bowser >
Ontario

You know what else could be driving down the prices is GameStop selling the old games for reasonable prices. $18 for Pokemon firered is better than $30 from most other places. GameStops readily available supply could lead to their prices becoming the new norm.

It's just bootlegs man.

Nah. They might contribute but they've been around for well over 5 years and haven't effected the price too much so you have to ask why now all of a sudden. It has to be other factors as well.

I think he meant GameStop is just selling bootlegs

Mar 18 at 9:42:05 PM
yukfou (103)
Maryland
Originally posted by: Bert

It's just bootlegs man.

Some are undoubtedly bootlegs but I would hope most are not. The silver and firered I saw in person were both legit.

Mar 18 at 10:00:08 PM
SUBSCRIBER
TheToxieRules (60)
(The Central Scrutinizer. ) < Master Higgins >
Canada

It's just bootlegs man.

Some are undoubtedly bootlegs but I would hope most are not. The silver and firered I saw in person were both legit.

Just sarcasm man......Hahahah I honestly don't think bootlegs have much to do with it at all.

It's just timing.....

Edited: 03/18/2017 at 10:00 PM by TheToxieRules

Mar 18 at 11:08:35 PM
ZombieGuyGeezus (100)
(Kyle aka Regularguygamer ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Idk man. It's never been this bad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262740161...

The bootlegs I bought in December were $4 shipped. It's at records highs in the GB front. Granted GBA fakes have been flooded for awhile.

-------------------------
No sports bras, let's keep it bouncin'.

Edited: 03/18/2017 at 11:10 PM by ZombieGuyGeezus

Mar 19 at 7:22:18 AM
kmksoulja (8)

(J W) < Eggplant Wizard >
Utah
Gamestop sent me bootleg heart gold and platinum versions. I had to explain 3 times to the employees how they were fake when I was returning them.

Mar 19 at 7:34:23 AM
Archangel3090 (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Manitoba
How about the fact that they made millions of copies and they arent worth anything? Sorry but if you collect the most mass produced game just to resell it your an idiot. I have my legit copies for my own enjoyment so really dont care about the value. But anything worth less than original retail is a bad investment in my humble opinion. Some cashed in during the pokemeon go crazy but sorry that likely will never happen again

Edited: 03/19/2017 at 07:34 AM by Archangel3090

Mar 19 at 9:23:39 AM
electrogames (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
Originally posted by: Archangel3090

How about the fact that they made millions of copies and they arent worth anything? Sorry but if you collect the most mass produced game just to resell it your an idiot. I have my legit copies for my own enjoyment so really dont care about the value. But anything worth less than original retail is a bad investment in my humble opinion. Some cashed in during the pokemeon go crazy but sorry that likely will never happen again

This, and yes, bootlegs are a major threat to vintage video game collecting. In fact, at least one auction house I know of was looking to expand into 80's and 90's toys and games and removed video games from the list due to the rise of easily mass produced bootlegs being readily available. Anyone buying for long term growth is going to be disappointed as it is relatively easy to get a reproduction for a fraction of the cost. 

Right now the so called 'Lego investing' community is dealing with a similar isue due to the rise of easily mass produced and authentic looking minifigures that are affecting the value of real Lego minifigures. 3D printing and the rise of easily mass produced replicas is here to stay. This is one reason why so few DS and 3DS games will have a lot of value going forward. Collecting these items for financial value is extremely risky as a result. 

Edited: 03/19/2017 at 09:24 AM by electrogames

Mar 19 at 12:39:13 PM
Archangel3090 (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Manitoba
Scary stuff but i've been able to tell he difference so far by looking at the boards and by the poor quality labels (gba and gameboy is easy because they aren't stamped) but i suppose it will only get worse!

Mar 19 at 4:52:59 PM
quest4nes (146)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

It's just bootlegs man.

Just sarcasm man......Hahahah I honestly don't think bootlegs have much to do with it at all.

It's just timing.....

Bootlegs combined with eshop additions of the originals have everything to do with it. Pokemon go was a short spike in the middle of nowhere. Had nothing to do with the prices now.

NES  634 (330 Manuals 317 Boxes)
Wii U 156 /160(incl. Starfox Guard & Bayonetta 1)
SNES 300
N64  163
Original Gameboy 48

Mar 19 at 9:47:51 PM
yukfou (103)
Maryland
It looks like prices are actually similar to what they were pre pokemon go, so what were we talking about again?

Mar 19 at 10:31:02 PM
captmorgandrinker (532)
(Capybara on the loose) < Purple Ganon >
Ohio

It's just bootlegs man.

I'm willing to bet the GBA ones they sell are more fake than real.   

Mar 19 at 10:39:10 PM
yukfou (103)
Maryland
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

It's just bootlegs man.

I'm willing to bet the GBA ones they sell are more fake than real.   

Hard to know for sure. I've seen some fake heartgolds and soulsilvers and when I pointed them out, the employees didn't really care. Most of the DS ones I see though are legit. 9/10 of their DS pokemon games are legit. I could see there being a bigger problem with GBC/GBA though.

Mar 19 at 10:50:27 PM
SUBSCRIBER
TheToxieRules (60)
Canada

It looks like prices are actually similar to what they were pre pokemon go, so what were we talking about again?

Glad someone finally agrees.

I mean I posted charts!? People want to try and disprove credible evidence? It is sales data put in chart form, very easy to follow.

Edit - I  "did" check every GB to GBA game and they were all pretty much following the same trends.

Edited: 03/19/2017 at 10:51 PM by TheToxieRules

Mar 19 at 11:55:42 PM
quest4nes (146)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

I mean I posted charts!? People want to try and disprove credible evidence? It is sales data put in chart form, very easy to follow.

Edit - I  "did" check every GB to GBA game and they were all pretty much following the same trends.

the fakes flooded the market waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before pokemon go

eshop releases were also way before it as well.

prices didnt go crazy when pokemon go came out. Very mild spike. Fakes were everywhere keeping the market down already.

Pokemon games have been bottomed out in price for awhile. This wasnt some trend after pokemon go. I dont know what point you are trying to make. If it is pokemon go fad died down so pokemon games are cheap now, then that isnt correct. They were already low before it. Just returned to normal.

SNES 300
N64  163
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 03/19/2017 at 11:59 PM by quest4nes

Mar 20 at 7:46:33 PM
yukfou (103)
Maryland
Originally posted by: quest4nes

prices didnt go crazy when pokemon go came out. Very mild spike. Fakes were everywhere keeping the market down already.

Pokemon games have been bottomed out in price for awhile. This wasnt some trend after pokemon go. I dont know what point you are trying to make. If it is pokemon go fad died down so pokemon games are cheap now, then that isnt correct. They were already low before it. Just returned to normal.

Every chart shows a similar trend. Somewhere around 2012 or 2013 is when Pokemon game prices started to rise to where they are now. There is a spike for every Pokemon game right when Pokemon go came out. Doesn't look like bootlegs are actually effecting the price much at all. Prices now are higher than they were pre 2012-2013, and I am sure there were tons of bootlegs before then. So yea, what are we talking about?

Mar 20 at 9:13:44 PM
SUBSCRIBER
TheToxieRules (60)
Canada

Every chart shows a similar trend. Somewhere around 2012 or 2013 is when Pokemon game prices started to rise to where they are now. There is a spike for every Pokemon game right when Pokemon go came out. Doesn't look like bootlegs are actually effecting the price much at all. Prices now are higher than they were pre 2012-2013, and I am sure there were tons of bootlegs before then. So yea, what are we talking about?

I have no idea.....I really don't.

Mar 20 at 9:16:43 PM
SUBSCRIBER
ALTQQ (52)
(Sean W) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia
If you want to be the very best ya'll gotta buy up all the Pokémon games

Mar 20 at 11:07:15 PM
quest4nes (146)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

I dont trust any tracking site like price charting pre 2013/2014ish especially.  

Ive sold atleast a 100 or more pokemon games since 2010. I sell stuff like that all the time for a job on ebay. I follow the trends for those games. They are not getting the prices they were before the bootlegs flooded the market. The originals didnt have bootlegs till later. GBA games were affected waaaay before the originals. I dont trust any site to keep up with the info of bootlegs and authentic pokemon game price averages. 

Pokemon games sold for much more money before the originals got flooded with fakes. It severely depressed the pricing trends, and the higher priced copies that usually sold just dont anymore. I always priced them higher and had no problem unloading them. The 3ds eshop releases really was what started the trend down. Not some pokemon go collapse. This all happened before pokemon go. Not going to trust a website avg price data chart on something like pokemon when Ive seen it happen first hand and have experienced it selling pokemon games as much as I do

ALL IM TRYING TO SAY

The downward trend of pokemon prices wasnt due to pokemon go lost interest. It started before that. Pokemon go ressurected the prices some, and they went back to what they were before. This wasnt a trend that started with pokemon go decline.

SNES 300
N64  163
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 11:09 PM by quest4nes

Mar 20 at 11:21:50 PM
SUBSCRIBER
TheToxieRules (60)
Canada
Yup

Mar 21 at 9:37:18 AM
rickrollcollector (118)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
All I know, is that I am selling all those games that piled over through 2016 and I had over 20 GBA/GB games and I remember very well that I used to sell GBA ones for $30 each within 2 days now I can't even sell them for $18 for a month now.

Edited: 03/21/2017 at 09:37 AM by rickrollcollector

Mar 21 at 9:38:57 AM
Gentlegamer (13)
< El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: teh lurv

The demand was met with bucket loads of bootlegs

This.

Mar 21 at 9:47:49 AM
theclaw (49)
(Lum Yatsura) < El Ripper >
Washington
Originally posted by: rickrollcollector

All I know, is that I am selling all those games that piled over through 2016 and I had over 20 GBA/GB games and I remember very well that I used to sell GBA ones for $30 each within 2 days now I can't even sell them for $18 for a month now.

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'm slightly in the market to buy Ruby or Sapphire. The bootlegs have been scaring me off.

Desu no kawaii!

Mar 21 at 9:51:37 AM
rickrollcollector (118)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
Originally posted by: theclaw

Originally posted by: rickrollcollector

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'm slightly in the market to buy Ruby or Sapphire. The bootlegs have been scaring me off.

I have Ruby and Sapphire, $32 shipped and they are yours.

Mar 21 at 2:32:10 PM
Archangel3090 (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Manitoba
I think also that game prices have levelled off on every console pre nintendo wii, the odd title from older consoles may still rise a little but the demand and nostalgia for those games and consoles is the highest it will ever be. The funny thing is most those pre wii games are hard to sell now. If they are not mint and super rare because every collector who want them already has them. Not So much a bubble bursting as demand and supply have met their crossroads. The next generation doesnt care about the nes, like i dont care about the atari.. That generation has nostalgia for disc based games not carts. That will be interesting considering disc rot, so burnt games may simply be common place in 10-15 years instead. Maybe the collector will have some titles with cases as simple decoration? Who knows? Just seeing at a local level I post some great titles and its tumbleweeds...doesn't mater to me since i play what i own but now i trade among collectors instead of sell because unless you post on ebay games are a hard sell

edir: consoles too. I have 3 genesis systems on a local buy and sell and not even one message... 

Edited: 03/21/2017 at 02:38 PM by Archangel3090