Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Official Wii U Demo Kiosk Thread Let's track them all!!

Mar 23 at 8:38:16 AM
dewisp02 (67)
(Mr. Jason) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Originally posted by: TDIRunner
Originally posted by: dewisp02
Think I got the list up-to-date. If I missed you or got something wrong, please let me know.
I posted the missing info for my kiosk, but it may have been missed.
security key: N
subwoofer: Y
wrench: N
back sign: N
papers: N
demo disc: N
Totalled missed it.    Just updated your info. Thanks for reminding me  

-------------------------

-Wanting boxes for Panic Restaurant, Bubble Bobble 2, Earthbound [cardboard insert, too], manuals for Stack Up, Wayne's World, and EVO [box & manual only]!!

Mar 23 at 9:38:34 AM
MunsonRoyE (0)
(William ) < Crack Trooper >
Pennsylvania
My amazing wife found me a Wii U kiosk last night out by the Gamestop dumpster when she went to the grocery store. Overall it's in pretty good shape and most of the  hardware is all there. The monitor was gone and all the power cables inside, along with the top LED sign, but the subwoofer was still in there.

I'm OK with replacing the monitor and trying to find a replacement sign for on top. I was wondering if there is any cheap way to power the LED strips without trying to find the Lynx LED controller? I tried searching the thread, but didn't really see anything. Also, if someone could help with information about hooking up and powering the subwoofer as well, I would really apprecaite it.

Mar 23 at 9:53:16 AM
dewisp02 (67)
Indiana
Originally posted by: MunsonRoyE
My amazing wife found me a Wii U kiosk last night out by the Gamestop dumpster when she went to the grocery store. Overall it's in pretty good shape and most of the  hardware is all there. The monitor was gone and all the power cables inside, along with the top LED sign, but the subwoofer was still in there.
I'm OK with replacing the monitor and trying to find a replacement sign for on top. I was wondering if there is any cheap way to power the LED strips without trying to find the Lynx LED controller? I tried searching the thread, but didn't really see anything. Also, if someone could help with information about hooking up and powering the subwoofer as well, I would really apprecaite it.
It was posted and talked about several times in the thread, but its a pain to find anything when a thread has a lot of posts. 

The Lynx adapter provided in the kiosk is a 12V 5A tip positive barrel plug (not sure of the exact I.D. and O.D.) DC adapter. I know you can use 3A (if powering just the lights) because that is amperage of the adapter I modded for my 1st kiosk. Could prolly use a 1-1.5A adapter if just powering the led strips. You can use 9V, but the LED strips just wont be as bright as intended. 

Also, I added you to the list, but am missing some info, so please let me know how the missing info. 

-Wanting boxes for Panic Restaurant, Bubble Bobble 2, Earthbound [cardboard insert, too], manuals for Stack Up, Wayne's World, and EVO [box & manual only]!!

Edited: 03/23/2017 at 10:03 AM by dewisp02

Mar 23 at 10:10:09 AM
MunsonRoyE (0)
Pennsylvania

It was posted and talked about several times in the thread, but its a pain to find anything when a thread has a lot of posts.

The Lynx adapter provided in the kiosk is a 12V 5A tip positive barrel plug (not sure of the exact I.D. and O.D.) DC adapter. I know you can use 3A (if powering just the lights) because that is amperage of the adapter I modded for my 1st kiosk. Could prolly use a 1-1.5A adapter if just powering the led strips. You can use 9V, but the LED strips just wont be as bright as intended. 

Thanks. I saw the talk about the DC adapter. I was trying to find a way to power the lights without having the actual Lynx LED controller. Is there some sort of similar box or wiring that I can plug into that will do the same thing as the LED controller?

Mar 23 at 10:13:13 AM
dewisp02 (67)
Indiana

It was posted and talked about several times in the thread, but its a pain to find anything when a thread has a lot of posts. The Lynx adapter provided in the kiosk is a 12V 5A tip positive barrel plug (not sure of the exact I.D. and O.D.) DC adapter. I know you can use 3A (if powering just the lights) because that is amperage of the adapter I modded for my 1st kiosk. Could prolly use a 1-1.5A adapter if just powering the led strips. You can use 9V, but the LED strips just wont be as bright as intended. 
Thanks. I saw the talk about the DC adapter. I was trying to find a way to power the lights without having the actual Lynx LED controller. Is there some sort of similar box or wiring that I can plug into that will do the same thing as the LED controller?
You could cut off the connectors on the strips, splice them together, and then to the power adapter. I would put a resistor and switch between the strips and the power adapter.

Edited: 03/23/2017 at 10:14 AM by dewisp02

Mar 23 at 10:31:59 AM
MunsonRoyE (0)
Pennsylvania

It was posted and talked about several times in the thread, but its a pain to find anything when a thread has a lot of posts. The Lynx adapter provided in the kiosk is a 12V 5A tip positive barrel plug (not sure of the exact I.D. and O.D.) DC adapter. I know you can use 3A (if powering just the lights) because that is amperage of the adapter I modded for my 1st kiosk. Could prolly use a 1-1.5A adapter if just powering the led strips. You can use 9V, but the LED strips just wont be as bright as intended. 
You could cut off the connectors on the strips, splice them together, and then to the power adapter. I would put a resistor and switch between the strips and the power adapter.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I was hoping there would be a pretty simple, ready made solution. I would like to try and keep the cables original and together, so I would rather not splice them. I suppose I could build a board that I could plug them into and power, but with my limited knowledge along with the time and effort plus the cost of parts, it will probably just be easier to just spend the money on the controller.

Mar 23 at 10:37:49 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (0)
(Matt ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I was hoping there would be a pretty simple, ready made solution. I would like to try and keep the cables original and together, so I would rather not splice them. I suppose I could build a board that I could plug them into and power, but with my limited knowledge along with the time and effort plus the cost of parts, it will probably just be easier to just spend the money on the controller.

Took the words out of my mouth (build a board). Basically all the lynx box is, is a way of distributing power. Just get some breadboard and make your own traces that way. Just get the terminals and hook them all up in parallel.

It would be much cheaper to just make it as opposed to buying one.

Edited: 03/23/2017 at 10:39 AM by SNESNESCUBE64

Mar 23 at 10:50:13 AM
dewisp02 (67)
Indiana
Originally posted by: SNESNESCUBE64
Took the words out of my mouth (build a board). Basically all the lynx box is, is a way of distributing power. Just get some breadboard and make your own traces that way. Just get the terminals and hook them all up in parallel. It would be much cheaper to just make it as opposed to buying one.
The cost of original parts has cooled since they first hit the market and I think the price will still drop some more over time. SNESNESCUBE is exactly right with making your own. You can either find the female connector to accept the strip connectors or just cut off the connector and solder the wires straight to your board. The male connectors (which are linked to a parts source in this thread thanks to I believe Han2) are standard and can be rebought and installed if you ever want to install the orginial Lynx power distribution/controller box. I believe there are pictures of the pcb in the thread as well to help if you need a visual aide. 

Mar 23 at 11:06:58 AM
MunsonRoyE (0)
Pennsylvania

Took the words out of my mouth (build a board). Basically all the lynx box is, is a way of distributing power. Just get some breadboard and make your own traces that way. Just get the terminals and hook them all up in parallel. It would be much cheaper to just make it as opposed to buying one.
The cost of original parts has cooled since they first hit the market and I think the price will still drop some more over time. SNESNESCUBE is exactly right with making your own. You can either find the female connector to accept the strip connectors or just cut off the connector and solder the wires straight to your board. The male connectors (which are linked to a parts source in this thread thanks to I believe Han2) are standard and can be rebought and installed if you ever want to install the orginial Lynx power distribution/controller box. I believe there are pictures of the pcb in the thread as well to help if you need a visual aide. 

Thank you so much. I really apprecaite the information you and SNESNESCUBE64 gave me. I'm in no big hurry to get the LED lights hooked up yet, as I would like to focus on finding a replacement monitor and Wii U system first. I guess I'll just monitor the price of the Lynx controller and decide the best course of action when I get to that point.

Edited: 03/23/2017 at 11:19 AM by MunsonRoyE

Mar 23 at 11:40:19 AM
dewisp02 (67)
Indiana
Thank you so much. I really apprecaite the information you and SNESNESCUBE64 gave me. I'm in no big hurry to get the LED lights hooked up yet, as I would like to focus on finding a replacement monitor and Wii U system first. I guess I'll just monitor the price of the Lynx controller and decide the best course of action when I get to that point.
No problem. There is also info in this thread about a TV known to work (Vizio). I hear slim-bezeled 32" Samsung TVs work as well. Most people seem to mount the TV to the kiosk mounting bracket by drilling holes and bolting the TV to it. I personally do not want to physically damage the kiosk to keep it as stock as possible. But I do have an original monitor with a broken/cracked LCD module. Working on a solution, but not looking good without buying an entire panel.  

Mar 24 at 6:04:28 PM
Otraotaku (25)
(Otra The Otaku) < Lolo Lord >
Indiana
I forgot to add my Serial number it's #1491
Thanks again Dewisp02  

Looking for "Cart Only" BOUNTYS!... Please feel free to PM with offers...
The Blues Brothers $25, North & South $45, Race America $35, Alfred Chicken $50,
Young Indiana Jones $40, Last Action Hero $55 , Rockin Kats $70, The Adventures of Lolo III  $40

Trades
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Want List

Mar 24 at 10:08:44 PM
MunsonRoyE (0)
Pennsylvania
Here is the info for my Kiosk:

Serial #1585
Model #WUPM128P-WUP
Ver: 02/07/13

security key: N
subwoofer: Y
wrench: Y
back sign: Y
papers: N
demo disc: N

Mar 25 at 7:06:04 PM
SNESNESCUBE64 (0)
Michigan
Hey guys, I got another kiosk to record. This was going to be my second personal kiosk but I dont have the room for it. This ones pretty cool in the sense that it was made before the wii u launched.

I think hes a new user here under the username "ptrip3". Name: Paul W. Serial #: 89 Model number: same as the others Console/controllers/gamepad:n Tv:y Bezel:y Wii u sign:y Key:n Acrylic cover:y Subwoofer:n Key:N Wrench:n Back poster:y Paperwork/discs:n

Mar 26 at 12:08:03 AM
PuppyWaffles (78)
(N64 CIBs!) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Finally got mine home and cleaned.
Name: Matt Phillips Member: Puppywaffles Serial #: 301 Model#: NA Gamepad: No Wii Remotes: No Demo Console: No Lynx Monitor: No Monitor Bezel: Yes Wii U LED: Yes Key: Yes Subwoofer: Yes Wrench: No Back Sign: Yes Papers: No Demo Disc: No

Instagram: puppy_waffles XBL:Puppywaffles
Looking to buy CIB Sega Pico (6/20) games!
N64 CIB 147/296 - Japanese N64 CIB 62/197 

Apr 01 at 4:32:01 PM
SNESNESCUBE64 (0)
Michigan
Hey all, its been a while since I did a progress update on the mods that I've done to my Kiosk. Over the last week, I changed up the power wiring to have an IEC socket and power switch on the back. I basically cheated by just hooking up a NEMA power socket that I got from wallmart for $1.80. Just a note, I'm pretty sure this is not up to U.S. electrical code, but eh I'm no professional. The internal power strip is just hooked up to the NEMA outlet. I made a new vent because I didn't want to modify the original.

The other thing that I did which I think is the coolest thing that I did to this kiosk. I turned this thing into a MAME machine using a raspberry Pi and a custom bracket that I made and mounted a cheap arcade stick to it. I used flat wires to slide in between the gap where the gamepad wire is supposed to be. I'm having a hard time describing this, so just look at the pictures to see that I did. I need to clean it up a bit. I also want to change the controll board for the arcade stick, I guess the one with it sucks and there is some delay with retropie (dont go cheap with mayflash), do you guys have a favorite one that is fairly cheap and with little to no delay (has to be USB for the pi). If you guys want, I can explain on how to do what I did to get to this point. All the parts that I made for this are available to download for free on thingiverse in the link below. Like the vent, the bracket is custom made. I just drilled into the bottom of the metal plate for the arcade stick. Haven't finished cleaning up the wiring. 

Link to download the parts to 3d print the parts featured: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:...

Edited: 04/01/2017 at 04:35 PM by SNESNESCUBE64

Apr 03 at 1:54:59 AM
Nicbball22 (7)

< Tourian Tourist >
Alabama
I ordered a white kiosk gamepad now picked it up on ebay tonight

Apr 03 at 8:56:30 AM
MunsonRoyE (0)
Pennsylvania
Finally got the kiosk up and running. I was able to win the LED contoller on ebay and got one of the suggested Vizio monitors installed. Only thing I am missing now is the lighted sign for the top. Thanks to everyone who helped me out to get this working.

Apr 04 at 4:28:59 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Looks great man! I'm glad you were able to get it up and running!

Apr 05 at 12:13:24 AM
GlaciusPrime (4)
< Crack Trooper >
I posted mine a while back, but never included the extra info. I'm #34 on the list and my serial number is #309. To update info It has the original lynx monitor, I have the key, the subwoofer, the wrench, and the back sign. I do not have the papers or the interactive demo discs.

Apr 08 at 1:03:49 AM
dewisp02 (67)
Indiana
Originally posted by: GlaciusPrime
I posted mine a while back, but never included the extra info. I'm #34 on the list and my serial number is #309. To update info It has the original lynx monitor, I have the key, the subwoofer, the wrench, and the back sign. I do not have the papers or the interactive demo discs.
Thanks for the update! Got the missing info added. 

Originally posted by: Otraotaku
I forgot to add my Serial number it's #1491   Thanks again Dewisp02  
Updated the ownership of your kiosk. You going to MGC?

Apr 08 at 6:44:20 PM
ProtonX (359)
(ProtonX Atomic) < El Ripper >
Oregon
I can be removed from the list- I sold my gamepad and am selling my sign.

Always buying broken handhelds and game systems. Especially Nintendo and NEC.

Apr 09 at 5:14:40 PM
Otraotaku (25)
(Otra The Otaku) < Lolo Lord >
Indiana

Originally posted by: GlaciusPrime
Thanks for the update! Got the missing info added. 

Originally posted by: Otraotaku
I forgot to add my Serial number it's #1491   Thanks again Dewisp02  
Updated the ownership of your kiosk. You going to MGC?

I've thought about it, it's a long drive to do alone. If we could get a bunch of people together and car pool that would be awesome!  

Looking for "Cart Only" BOUNTYS!... Please feel free to PM with offers...
The Blues Brothers $25, North & South $45, Race America $35, Alfred Chicken $50,
Young Indiana Jones $40, Last Action Hero $55 , Rockin Kats $70, The Adventures of Lolo III  $40

Trades
Want List

Apr 10 at 12:57:48 AM
TDIRunner (8)
< El Ripper >
Illinois
My son turned 3 last week and we had a party for him on Saturday. We always have our parties in the back yard, and in my garage. I had my Wii U kiosk hooked up with a slide show of pictures of my son. The kiosk ended up being a cool talking point and just about everyone asked about it when they saw it. To very little surprise, hardly anyone who asked about it knew what a Wii U was. They all thought it was for the original Wii. Just goes to show how poorly Nintendo advertised the thing. But I guess that's all behind us now.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Apr 10 at 3:18:35 AM
skinnygrinny (23)
(a.k.a. the grinder a.k.a. kobra kai! a.k.a. 42 foot tapewoRm) < King Solomon >
Florida
theres one in marianna florida at "retro 2 new"

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Apr 10 at 10:25:17 AM
kyliemale (4)
< Little Mac >
Illinois

Finally got the kiosk up and running. I was able to win the LED contoller on ebay and got one of the suggested Vizio monitors installed. Only thing I am missing now is the lighted sign for the top. Thanks to everyone who helped me out to get this working.

Monitor mounting looks spot on, nice work!

ISO Short List:
Nintendo Power issues: None :D I caught em' all!

I'm also interested in trading/buying Official Nintendo Power Player's Guides