Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Official Wii U Demo Kiosk Thread Let's track them all!! AND MORE!!!!

Mar 16 at 3:48:28 PM
Otraotaku (31)
(Otra The Otaku) < Lolo Lord >
Indiana
Originally posted by: SNESNESCUBE64

Originally posted by: Otraotaku

Hey guys, Just finally had time to read through this entire thread to catch up, OP dewisp02 and I live relatively nearby and He had recently contacted me and hooked me up with one of the kiosks he had acquired on his journey. Ill post a few pics of where I am with Restoring it soon as well as the Serial # soon.  

So far it has all of the necessary cables and lights to attach a Monitor (As like so many others it was missing)
I have a (Sorta Defective) extra set of Wii-mote Controllers from my Wii Kiosk so Im sorta covered there but im Looking into finding an Alternative Aesthetically pleasing method of mounting and powering the Kiosk Game-pad I really liked that Coiled Wired Connection that the Original had and would like to find a way to replicate that as close as possible.

Other than that I just purchased the Bezel Monitor Frame on eBay last week so right now I'm hunting down a cheap alternative TV to the LYNX monitor. Can I bug One of you guys for the Size specifications on that? I assume its a 32" TV? It would be awesome if someone could post the exact dimensions (Especially depth) since so many of these units Monitors were gutted and smashed.

I really appreciate that dewisp02 was so quick to gather the community together to Keep track of the whereabouts of these Demo units.  
Oh and... uh supply me with mine  
Thanks!
I dont have access to mine at the momment, but I do remember that it is a 32 inch (31.5) tv. I dont remeber the depth of the actual monitor, but I seem to remember that it is somewhere between 2 and 3 inches in depth. If you read a bit back, TDIRunner found a monitor solution that worked out for him using a vizeo tv. It should be about five (maybe more) pages back in this thread because he talked about how he did it. He even posted a link for the tv he used.

Yes I did see that Vizio he had mentioned, I was just curious so I could find a more cost effective that fits my needs as a solution. (less than $200) Definately dont need Smart TV features etc.

-------------------------
Looking for "Cart Only" BOUNTYS! Please feel free to PM with offers & add+ Shipping!
Elimination Boat Duel $10,  Fun House $10, Last Starfighter $10

Trades
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Want List

Edited: 03/16/2017 at 03:48 PM by Otraotaku

Mar 16 at 3:49:31 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I'm finishing cleaning mine up at the moment, and was wondering what you guys used to clean the screen? I don't want to damage it or leave any streaks.

Mar 16 at 4:00:36 PM
han2 (0)
(han ) < Little Mac >
Florida

So far it has all of the necessary cables and lights to attach a Monitor (As like so many others it was missing)
I have a (Sorta Defective) extra set of Wii-mote Controllers from my Wii Kiosk so Im sorta covered there but im Looking into finding an Alternative Aesthetically pleasing method of mounting and powering the Kiosk Game-pad I really liked that Coiled Wired Connection that the Original had and would like to find a way to replicate that as close as possible.

I have a plan on rebuilding the cable with coils and all. I posted pics of a temporary proof of concept over on the Wii U demo console thread.
The bit I'm falling short on is the strain relief bit on the gamepad itself. Its attached with screws and needs to be on the sturdy side. Im not sure what to do there yet. Maybe Cube64 can 3D print us something.  

Mar 16 at 4:03:44 PM
Otraotaku (31)
Indiana
Originally posted by: han2

I have a plan on rebuilding the cable with coils and all. I posted pics of a temporary proof of concept over on the Wii U demo console thread.
The bit I'm falling short on is the strain relief bit on the gamepad itself. Its attached with screws and needs to be on the sturdy side. Im not sure what to do there yet. Maybe Cube64 can 3D print us something.  
That would be awesome if he could, I saw the Debacle with the Keys way back. It sucks that they are not all made the same. Was it ever confirmed to be a regional or District wide thing?

Looking for "Cart Only" BOUNTYS! Please feel free to PM with offers & add+ Shipping!

Trades
Want List

Mar 16 at 4:12:35 PM
SUBSCRIBER
KAMIKAWA (25)
(Keith Kamikawa) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: imanerd0011

I'm finishing cleaning mine up at the moment, and was wondering what you guys used to clean the screen? I don't want to damage it or leave any streaks.

Windex

For Sale: Limited Run Games http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Check out my Virtual Reality game PolyAquatic out now on iOS for Google Cardboard!
Coming Soon to Oculus Rift! 
http://polyaquatic.com/...

If you're looking for game art, pixel, 3D, or graphic design hit me up!
https://keithkamikawa.com/...

Mar 16 at 4:59:44 PM
SNESNESCUBE64 (10)
(Matt ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan

What do you have in mind. If its just a modification to the gamepad plug I made and uploaded it to thingiverse, consider it done  .just give me the measurement in mm of your wire's diameters. If that's what you mean and thats what I think you mean. I do have plans to make custom wiimote plugs on another note. Just reread the post. If you are talking about the gamepad clip, I will need some time, but I would be willing to do it  .

Also, I almost got another kiosk yesterday, a gamestop called me and asked if I wanted one in the same condition as mine. Turned it down and my friend got it, will post the kiosk info when i get it

What I've been printing: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 03/16/2017 at 05:26 PM by SNESNESCUBE64

Mar 16 at 5:28:42 PM
han2 (0)
(han ) < Little Mac >
Florida

What do you have in mind. If its just a modification to the gamepad plug I made and uploaded it to thingiverse, consider it done  .just give me the measurement in mm of your wire's diameters. If that's what you mean and thats what I think you mean. I do have plans to make custom wiimote plugs on another note. Also, I almost got another kiosk yesterday, a gamestop called me and asked if I wanted one in the same condition as mine. Turned it down and my friend got it, will post the kiosk info when i get it

I have no idea yet. I have been looking for a photo of the stress relief bit on the back of a demo gamepad with the battery cover removed to get ideas but havent found one yet. I have half a mind to reach out to the guy with the $400 gamepad w/cable and buy his. I havent since his starting price is so outlandish I doubt we would be able to reach a price that made us both happy.

My cable is an RF cable so far. I need to buy some cables and then find the right connectors to plug in on either side. I havent been able to do this yet. It wont be thick at all. Probably thinner than the stock wire. The curl can be added with a rod and heat gun.

Mar 16 at 5:48:59 PM
SNESNESCUBE64 (10)
Michigan

What do you have in mind. If its just a modification to the gamepad plug I made and uploaded it to thingiverse, consider it done  .just give me the measurement in mm of your wire's diameters. If that's what you mean and thats what I think you mean. I do have plans to make custom wiimote plugs on another note. Also, I almost got another kiosk yesterday, a gamestop called me and asked if I wanted one in the same condition as mine. Turned it down and my friend got it, will post the kiosk info when i get it

I have no idea yet. I have been looking for a photo of the stress relief bit on the back of a demo gamepad with the battery cover removed to get ideas but havent found one yet. I have half a mind to reach out to the guy with the $400 gamepad w/cable and buy his. I havent since his starting price is so outlandish I doubt we would be able to reach a price that made us both happy.

My cable is an RF cable so far. I need to buy some cables and then find the right connectors to plug in on either side. I havent been able to do this yet. It wont be thick at all. Probably thinner than the stock wire. The curl can be added with a rod and heat gun.

Here ya go, I took these before they cut the gamepad

Mar 17 at 2:46:56 AM
han2 (0)
(han ) < Little Mac >
Florida

Great photos! There are also two places for screws inside the battery cover that appear to hold the cable. Thats what I was most curious about. I am thinking it is a piece of metal to recreate some kind of bracket to hold the cables in place. My gamepad didnt come with a wire at all, not even a cut one.

Mar 17 at 8:05:20 AM
Otraotaku (31)
Indiana
Excited I might get my Bezel today So I can go TV Shopping later this afternoon, Anyone get their hands on the exact demensions for the Monitor? I forgot to add I did swap the Black Topper for a White one I had gotten my hands on when the Wii U was first released. I think it looks better Since theres no black anywhere else on the Kiosk and I will probably pickup a Standard white Unit for the kiosk later when i run into one cheap.

Here's my unit as it stands currently.

Trades
Want List

Edited: 03/17/2017 at 10:06 AM by Otraotaku

Mar 17 at 10:31:06 AM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Looks great man! I have both the Wii and the Wii U kiosks, and they look amazing beside each other!

Mar 17 at 2:14:46 PM
Otraotaku (31)
Indiana

Looks great man! I have both the Wii and the Wii U kiosks, and they look amazing beside each other!

I agree, They are a pretty Nice set! Congrats to you too imanerd011!  
Im really hoping I can grab a monitor this time around that is alot more apealing, I have a Silver Vizio that I am looking forward to mounting on my Wii Kiosk But I am so glad that the Wii U Bezel ateast covers it so it wont be too much of an eyesore for whatever I can find on the cheap to pickup. But I want to get one as close to the Demensions of the original as possible. Anyone got the demensions to the monitor?  

Trades
Want List

Mar 17 at 3:28:09 PM
dewisp02 (71)
(Mr. Jason) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Think I got the list up-to-date. If I missed you or got something wrong, please let me know.
I really appreciate that dewisp02 was so quick to gather the community together to Keep track of the whereabouts of these Demo units.     Oh and... Thanks again for supplying me with mine    Thanks!
No problem, man. It went to a good home.  

Anyone got the demensions to the monitor?  
The dimensions you need can be measured on the monitor mounting bracket you have. Measure the distance between one side and the other side piece of the bracket. You want a 32" TV/monitor with thinner bezel sides, otherwise the bezel will get in the way and you will have to decase the TV/monitor. Concerning the depth, IIRC, the monitor mounts slightly higher than the depth of the mounting bracket depth (slight overhang), which would be about 2-3" total depth. I suggest getting a 1080p resolution, but can't blame you using anything less if you find a cheap one. I've noticed the newer the TV/monitor, the more likely it will "drop-in" without issues since they conserve space depth- and width- wise.

Originally posted by: Ryan93L
I was so excited to pick the one up from a nearby Gamestop i had my name on, but when the time came they had literally stripped it of anything electronic. TV, speakers, switches, everything.....
Do you have one? If so, congrats and please post the info so I can add you to the list. 

-Wanting boxes for Panic Restaurant, Bubble Bobble 2, Earthbound [cardboard insert, too], manuals for Stack Up, Wayne's World, and EVO [box & manual only]!!

Edited: 03/17/2017 at 04:25 PM by dewisp02

Mar 20 at 10:14:02 AM
ProtonX (368)
(ProtonX Atomic) < Lolo Lord >
Oregon

I have still a complete gamepad if anyone needs any particular pictures. Just let me know.

Also albeit rare- the Wii green/white Wii U dev gamepad should work with a kiosk model as it uses the same screw type coax connection. Still haven't found a kiosk console to test this theory yet.

Always buying broken handhelds and game systems. Especially Nintendo and NEC.

Mar 20 at 12:32:08 PM
han2 (0)
(han ) < Little Mac >
Florida
Originally posted by: ProtonX

I have still a complete gamepad if anyone needs any particular pictures. Just let me know. Also albeit rare- the Wii green/white Wii U dev gamepad should work with a kiosk model as it uses the same screw type coax connection. Still haven't found a kiosk console to test this theory yet.

What does it look like underneath the battery cover? I see two places for screws which arent on mine. I figure that holds a bracket which keeps things in place.

Mar 20 at 7:44:47 PM
DeuceGamer (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: dewisp02

Think I got the list up-to-date. If I missed you or got something wrong, please let me know.
I really appreciate that dewisp02 was so quick to gather the community together to Keep track of the whereabouts of these Demo units.     Oh and... Thanks again for supplying me with mine    Thanks!
No problem, man. It went to a good home.  

Anyone got the demensions to the monitor?  
The dimensions you need can be measured on the monitor mounting bracket you have. Measure the distance between one side and the other side piece of the bracket. You want a 32" TV/monitor with thinner bezel sides, otherwise the bezel will get in the way and you will have to decase the TV/monitor. Concerning the depth, IIRC, the monitor mounts slightly higher than the depth of the mounting bracket depth (slight overhang), which would be about 2-3" total depth. I suggest getting a 1080p resolution, but can't blame you using anything less if you find a cheap one. I've noticed the newer the TV/monitor, the more likely it will "drop-in" without issues since they conserve space depth- and width- wise.

Originally posted by: Ryan93L
I was so excited to pick the one up from a nearby Gamestop i had my name on, but when the time came they had literally stripped it of anything electronic. TV, speakers, switches, everything.....
Do you have one? If so, congrats and please post the info so I can add you to the list. 

Is there a speific model of TV that works with minimal customizations, or changes? I'd like to find one for mine soon but I want it to fit as good as possible with little alterations if possible.

Mar 20 at 7:50:59 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < Meka Chicken >
United States
You'd have to check this thread, but I'm pretty sure a few people used a 32" Vizio with quite a bit of luck.

Mar 20 at 9:08:43 PM
TDIRunner (10)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: DeuceGamer

Is there a speific model of TV that works with minimal customizations, or changes? I'd like to find one for mine soon but I want it to fit as good as possible with little alterations if possible.

I posted links for a very good low budget monitor and mount that work and fit perfectly with minimal alterations.  There have been so many Wii U kiosk threads, that I'm not sure where it went, but I will look for it.  It might be this thread, but there were at least two other kiosk related threads that I've posted in.  

***EDIT***  See below.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 09:12 PM by TDIRunner

Mar 20 at 9:11:45 PM
TDIRunner (10)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois

Originally posted by: TDIRunner

Originally posted by: TDIRunner

Well, I started working on my Wii U kiosk.  I've replaced the lock with a new one that I have a key for.  I've removed the controller wires that were cut by GameStop (but I still kept them) and I installed a new TV.  This TV has the same outer dimensions as the original, but it's a much larger screen due to the lack of the bezel.  The nice thing about using this TV over the original monitor is that it will be easier to hook up other devices to use the setup as a normal TV in my garage.

I received my Raspberry Pi this week and got it setup.  I have't loaded all of the games I want yet, but I have enough to be able to enjoy it.

Next step will be to cover the area below the TV that is open due to the missing bezel.  I plan to cover it with a board with some speakers that will be powered by a small amp that I will hide in the cabinet.  

The last step will be to make my custom Raspberry Pi case out of an old Nintendo Wii U that I acquired.  The Wii U is broken beyond repair, so I will gut it and use the case to house my Raspberry Pi.  I'm hoping to incorporate the USB ports, HDMI ports and other connections on the Wii U case with the Pi itself.  

It's been a fun project so far.  Looking forward to the finished product.  

How did you mount that monster? 

Pretty straight forward.  I bought a mount from Wal-Mart (super cheap too) and attached it to the top cross beam on the kiosk frame.  I had to use a few washers as spacers to move the TV outwards a fraction of an inch, but otherwise, the TV could not have fit any better.  

Both the TV and mount are meant for a low budget since this is only a project and the kiosk will stay in my garage.

link to TV (was $150 when I bought it, now it's $180, glad I didn't wait any longer)
TV is cheap, but it has a "game mode" and works well with the Raspberry Pi with no noticable lag on Mario platforming games.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-39-class-38-5-diag--led...

link to mount ($10 and comes with HDMI cord)
I would not recommend this mount on a normal wall, but with it bolted to the kiosk, it's actually the perfect size (and price)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/45162252

Ok, it wasn't as hard to find as I thought it might be.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Mar 20 at 9:51:26 PM
SNESNESCUBE64 (10)
Michigan
Has anyone figured out the pin out for the wired controllers? I'm getting ready to hard wire one of these suckers and I wanna see if anyone did it first so that maybe I can get an idea of what I'm doing beforehand. If nobody knows, then I'm going to make a daughterboard for controller box that basically makes it so that the nunchuck connects directly to the wiimote, the benefit of this is that I can do whatever pin out I want. I haven't opened mine up yet, but if it is anything based on what I saw on ebay, it will be a piece of cake. Its just figuring out which pin does what.

The neat thing is that the nunchuck only uses 4 wires, power, ground, and two data lines. So it is going to very simple. The real kicker is going to be the wiimote itself. I am assuming that they pulled the connector out and then just soldered the power and ground to the battery terminals, its just a matter of, do I have to make my own board for the controller box. I'm also wondering whether the wiimotes that the kiosk contains actually are not capable of wireless, similar to the gamepad and its wireless BS.

If you guys know, can you let me know, I know its a shot in the dark and I'm starting to head into unknown territory, but there's a pretty good reward for this.
Thanks

Mar 21 at 9:48:42 AM
han2 (0)
(han ) < Little Mac >
Florida

Has anyone figured out the pin out for the wired controllers? I'm getting ready to hard wire one of these suckers and I wanna see if anyone did it first so that maybe I can get an idea of what I'm doing beforehand. If nobody knows, then I'm going to make a daughterboard for controller box that basically makes it so that the nunchuck connects directly to the wiimote, the benefit of this is that I can do whatever pin out I want. I haven't opened mine up yet, but if it is anything based on what I saw on ebay, it will be a piece of cake. Its just figuring out which pin does what.

The neat thing is that the nunchuck only uses 4 wires, power, ground, and two data lines. So it is going to very simple. The real kicker is going to be the wiimote itself. I am assuming that they pulled the connector out and then just soldered the power and ground to the battery terminals, its just a matter of, do I have to make my own board for the controller box. I'm also wondering whether the wiimotes that the kiosk contains actually are not capable of wireless, similar to the gamepad and its wireless BS.

If you guys know, can you let me know, I know its a shot in the dark and I'm starting to head into unknown territory, but there's a pretty good reward for this.
Thanks

Ive got houseguests this week but if youre not in a hurry I'll try to take mine apart and get some close up photos next week.

Mar 21 at 10:02:11 AM
dewisp02 (71)
(Mr. Jason) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana

If you guys know, can you let me know, I know its a shot in the dark and I'm starting to head into unknown territory, but there's a pretty good reward for this. Thanks
Ive got houseguests this week but if youre not in a hurry I'll try to take mine apart and get some close up photos next week.
If I had demo controllers, I would disassemble and make pinout charts [but sadly I do not :'(  ]. 

-Wanting boxes for Panic Restaurant, Bubble Bobble 2, Earthbound [cardboard insert, too], manuals for Stack Up, Wayne's World, and EVO [box & manual only]!!

Mar 21 at 10:44:06 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (10)
Michigan

I'm in no hurry at all  . Odds are I won't be able to get started until next week anyway. It really helps to have a close up look at what they are supposed to be, just by seeing different color wires tells a whole story and maybe I won't have to do more mods to get this crap to work. Just dont take it apart if you have to damage it, I would rather guess than damage someone else'e stuff. If this ends up working out, I will post a guide on how to make wired controllers from normal retail remotes.

I'm moving back home at the end of the week and I promised one of my friends that I would help him do the same audio mod. Basically, one of the gamestops from back home called me last weekish so instead of getting a second kiosk, I called him and now he has one. I'll get him to post his info at some point soon as he said he was going to make an NA account. This kind of puts my current work on it on hold with my kiosk, I got some design documents for how I'm going to do a daughterboard if I have to. In a sense, if I make a daughterboard, I will only have to keep track of 4 wires with the nunchuck, the hardest part is going to be powering the wiimote, as I don't think you can power it through the pin connector.

Edited: 03/21/2017 at 11:02 AM by SNESNESCUBE64

Mar 22 at 10:43:41 PM
TDIRunner (10)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: KAMIKAWA

Hey guys, any idea the size triangle screwdriver bit you need to remove the nunchuck and wiimote cords? Any idea if one of these is the right size?

https://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Tools-ATKTR4-Triangle-Scre...

I just used a regular slotted screwdriver with a lot of pressure.  They were so loose to begin with it didn't matter much that I didn't have the right driver.  I would check that first before spending money on specialty drivers.  However, if they are tight, don't force it with the wrong bit.  You could strip them that way.  

Mar 22 at 10:48:31 PM
TDIRunner (10)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: dewisp02

I posted the missing info for my kiosk, but it may have been missed.

security key: N
subwoofer: Y
wrench: N
back sign: N
papers: N
demo disc: N

Also, here is my serial number, which I finally got around to taking a picture of.  

Edited: 03/22/2017 at 10:49 PM by TDIRunner