Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SWITCH-ing from the Wii U (see what I did there? didya? didya? didya?) Getting the Switch, what do I do with the Wii U?

Jan 16 at 9:49:08 PM
JohnnyPhantom (118)
(John k Arpin) < Lolo Lord >
Rhode Island
Hey everyone,
I was able to get the last Switch Preorder in my state (I assume*) GameStop tells me I can trade my Wii U intowards the Switch and get about $200  (there's a bonus $75 trade credit since I'm a pro member) credit towards the Switch, which sounds pretty cool to me, since I didn't love the Wii U and I dont collect consoles like I once did. I'll sell the games on eBay. The only thing I'll regret when I see the Wii U would be the digital games I got for it, mostly Fatal Frame. I'm gonna do my best to beat Fatal Frame before I trade it in. I got The Wii U and maybe like 50 or so games, and I barely even played it :/ I felt kinda burned by the Wii U and I hope the Switch won't repeat that feeling for me. Hows the digital game system for the Wii U? has it gotten any better? as in if I sell my Wii U now, and lets saw a year or so goes by and I find one cheap at a yardsale, can I relink my purchases? or once I sell my console are they as good as gone? I doubt the Switch will support the Wii U purchases.

What is everyone else doing with thier Wii U if getting the Switch? keeping it hooked up? attic/closet time? or selling it?

If anyones looking for Wii U games, and if I end up going through with the trade in, I'll be posting them up here for sale.

*The Switch sold out day 1 from what I know, I called several GameStops near me, all sold out, except 1. I heard they got a good amount of Switches they could take preorders on, this was at 5PM and they closed at 9PM, however I worked late that day and didnt get home until around 10PM. I called the GameStop first thing the next morning (while on my way in the car) they just opened and I was told there were 2 left, grey joycon model, I got there at 10:04 and was 3rd in line. The first 2 customers were already being helped, I could over hear 1 of them talking about the Switch, and they preordered it. Drats!! 1 left, the 2nd customer ahead of me was to far away to overhear, but looks like they just purchased a PS4 game and and a PSN card. I got called up next and preordered the Switch, I got the last one (and since it was the next day, I'm assuming its the last one in RI and probally many other places/state) once I said I was there to pre-order the Switch, the employee yells over to the other employee that its the last one and don't take any more pre-orders, 3 of the 5 people from line behind walk out sad.

Jan 16 at 9:53:10 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Mega Tank (137)
< Master Higgins >
United States
I may just keep the Wii U. I only have Mario Kart and Splatoon, but I am sure the second I get rid of it all Wii U games will be $2 or something annoying like that.

Maybe, I should just Switch my way of thinking about it. SNAP!

-------------------------
Random Uncle Tusk 8 Box auction. 100 % of proceeds go to NA :)  :  Click here
FS/FT/FO Here: Click This.

Jan 16 at 9:58:41 PM
rcorporon (34)
(Ron Corporon) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
I sold mine. Easy money.

Jan 16 at 10:12:26 PM
Hydrus (40)
(Mike - KrakenSoup) < Bowser >
New York
If you're not into the Wii U and Gamestop is offering $200 (hard to believe they'd actually offer that much) then I say trade it in towards the Switch. Personally I'm keeping my Wii U because as I've learned from past mistakes, never get rid of your old consoles. There are very small amount of games on Wii U that I really like, even if I wasn't fond of the system myself. I just know I'll regret it a few months, or years, from now. So yeah I'm keeping it.

Jan 16 at 10:28:36 PM
JohnnyPhantom (118)
Rhode Island
Originally posted by: KrakenSoup

If you're not into the Wii U and Gamestop is offering $200 (hard to believe they'd actually offer that much) then I say trade it in towards the Switch. Personally I'm keeping my Wii U because as I've learned from past mistakes, never get rid of your old consoles. There are very small amount of games on Wii U that I really like, even if I wasn't fond of the system myself. I just know I'll regret it a few months, or years, from now. So yeah I'm keeping it.

I have the black 32GB model. Regular trade in is $120 but the promo trade in towards a Switch is $50 or $75 if a pro member so $195 total. Ill give Nintendo a call abd see what can be done about my digital games. I may hold on to a few of the games just incase

Jan 16 at 10:37:35 PM
empire (55)
(Matt ) < Master Higgins >
British Columbia
Im keeping mine, theres still a pretty good pile of good games.

Jan 16 at 10:37:38 PM
Brachabre (7)
< El Ripper >
Texas
Keeping it. It's quite a fun system. The only annoying thing about the Wii U is needing to keep the tablet around 24/7/365. It would be nice to be able to store the tablet permanently and just use the pro controller.

Jan 16 at 10:39:15 PM
Allegro (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
I'm in your boat, I feel incredibly burned by the Wii U, which is why I'm steering as far away from the Switch as possible. I'm three games away from owning more titles for the Virtual Boy than for the Wii U, and I feel like that's really saying something. I just don't understand how Nintendo expects anyone to trust that they'll provide for another home console when the 3DS was the golden boy while the Wii U got ignored at every opportunity. The only thing that has kept mine in use is Smash, and it will continue to keep it in use well into the Switch's lifetime (and I honestly don't see Smash for the Switch ever existing, feel free to quote me on that).

If you don't have something really tying you to the console, get rid of it. If I were going to rush headlong into another potential $300 flop, it's what I'd do. The library is less than impressive and despite how many toes this might walk on for me to say, I don't think it's worth collecting for, as the games are barely worth retail and were too mass produced to ever assume any rarity outside of a very select few. I'm not sure on the facts of linking Nintendo Network to a new system; in the worst case scenario, I apologize for the digital games you bought, but you knew the implications.

Jan 16 at 10:39:37 PM
The Questyen (7)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
You say you were burned by the system but you have 50 games that you "barely even played". There are a bunch of great games on the system especially Nintendo titles and if you weren't bothered to play those I don't see why you would be bothered to play Switch titles.

Jan 16 at 10:50:07 PM
Allegro (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
Originally posted by: The Questyen

You say you were burned by the system but you have 50 games that you "barely even played". There are a bunch of great games on the system especially Nintendo titles and if you weren't bothered to play those I don't see why you would be bothered to play Switch titles.
In all fairness it's pretty easy to get suckered in by the relatively low cost of the indie titles that made it to the eShop just to play them for ten minutes and find out that they scratch a "retro" itch that is much better scratched by the real deal. I'm not sure that this is the case, but it's a reasonable assumption.

Jan 16 at 10:57:29 PM
JohnnyPhantom (118)
Rhode Island
Originally posted by: Allegro

In all fairness it's pretty easy to get suckered in by the relatively low cost of the indie titles that made it to the eShop just to play them for ten minutes and find out that they scratch a "retro" itch that is much better scratched by the real deal. I'm not sure that this is the case, but it's a reasonable assumption.

No. Its about 50 retail games only 2 digital ones Fatal Frame and Earthbound. Im just a sucker for games that look fun or i think maybe rare and didnt wanna missout or pay out the nose later.

I got most of them when i was still in a collecting gotta have am all phase.

Jan 16 at 11:05:53 PM
Allegro (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
Originally posted by: JohnnyPhantom

Originally posted by: Allegro

No. Its about 50 retail games only 2 digital ones Fatal Frame and Earthbound. Im just a sucker for games that look fun or i think maybe rare and didnt wanna missout or pay out the nose later. I got most of them when i was still in a collecting gotta have am all phase.
I wasn't even aware they managed to produce 50 retail games for the Wii U, but now that I think about it, there's probably something filling up the shelves at walmart that aren't rows and rows of Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. Guess it's just easy to overlook questionable third party games unless you're in that "gotta have 'em all phase". My point kind of still stands, as even the first party titles for the Wii U were pretty weak imo. No true 3D Mario, no Metroid, no true Kirby, almost no new Zelda. Pokken I guess counts as the Pokemon spinoff title. Even Star Fox managed to be insanely disappointing.

Again, everything went to the 3DS.

Jan 17 at 4:48:45 AM
Dangoo87 (1)
< Meka Chicken >
England
im keeping mine, 3 shelfs of games but i only play a handful. I might get rid of the crappy games soon though.

WTB - NTSC-U exclusive Wii U games http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Currently Playing: Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)
Recently Completed: Dark Souls 2 (360)

Jan 17 at 4:55:00 AM
D~Funk (65)
(David Qualls) < Bowser >
Oregon
You Keep It And You Love IT!!!!

Jan 17 at 5:02:13 AM
Trojanarius (1)

< Little Mac >
Alabama
I'm keeping my Wii U. I love the Nintendo titles.

Jan 17 at 7:08:18 AM
jonebone (511)
(N64 Fanatic) < Pit >
Maryland
I'm keeping my Wii U, I've enjoyed it for what it has been. Probably won't be playing it after the Switch but I don't sell my old consoles.

WTB: NM / Mint NES CIBs & Turbografx 16 CIBs
My eBay, 10% Off if sold on NA!  http://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone7...
Now Playing: Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Recent Beats: Halo Wars 2 (XB1), Steamworld Heist (Wii U), Shantaes (3DS & Wii U), Sleeping Dogs (XB1)

Jan 17 at 7:33:33 AM
Triple Dash (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Michigan
Am going to keep mine. The Switch isn't physically backwards compatible, has a fair amount of awesome physical/downloadable exclusives (for now), and I have around 30+ VC/Wiiware games in the original Wii menu mode.

There's at least more reason to hold onto it IMO than the original Wii/Gamecube.

Jan 17 at 9:14:19 AM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Dump it. Only a few really good Wii U games and those are getting ported to the 3ds and Switch.

Jan 17 at 9:33:04 AM
teh lurv (108)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
I'm keeping mine. I softmodded it to play Gamecube ISOs so my Wii U covers three consoles in one hooked up to my TV.

My FS/FT thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

My Mario Maker Levels:
F498-0000-0040-2217 - Wall Slide or Die

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Jan 17 at 9:33:46 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Paul (224)
(Paul ) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I will keep my WiiU as it gets alot of use at my house!

Jan 17 at 9:53:03 AM
Quaze (85)
(Jordan C.) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
I'll keep it. I learned not to get rid of my last-gen consoles a few generations ago.

My eBay feedback

Jan 17 at 11:26:29 AM
abrahamh2 (56)
(Abraham Hernandez) < Meka Chicken >
Hawaii
Keep the Wii U it has a quirky collection of familiar and not so familiar games in its library. Also it has about the same amount of titles released as the Sega Saturn so I'm calling it right now the Wii U is this generations Sega Saturn. Despite the many games being ported to the switch there ae many unknowns right now about the BC capabilities if and when the digital games will be carried over. So the best course of action imo is to wait to at least fall of this year when Mario Odyssey and other unconfirmed titles are released before making the "Switch". FYI gamespot reported that Borderlands 3 is not being ported at this "time" according to Gearbox so it seems like the Wii U all over again yikes  .

Jan 17 at 11:35:03 AM
JohnnyPhantom (118)
Rhode Island
Originally posted by: abrahamh2

Keep the Wii U it has a quirky collection of familiar and not so familiar games in its library. Also it has about the same amount of titles released as the Sega Saturn so I'm calling it right now the Wii U is this generations Sega Saturn. Despite the many games being ported to the switch there ae many unknowns right now about the BC capabilities if and when the digital games will be carried over. So the best course of action imo is to wait to at least fall of this year when Mario Odyssey and other unconfirmed titles are released before making the "Switch". FYI gamespot reported that Borderlands 3 is not being ported at this "time" according to Gearbox so it seems like the Wii U all over again yikes  .

I agree with the Sega Saturn part, I def feel it's on the same wavelenght. I think I'm gonna sell my Wii U to GStop, get the $200 and hold onto the games and decide what to do with them. The only digital games I'm gonna lose would be Fatal Frame V and Earthbound (but I have that on my 3DS and play it more on the 3DS anyway, I love portable gaming, so the switch attracted me with that. I read some reviews and the Fatal Frame game is kinda "meh" so that may not be a big deal. It only takes about 13 hours to beat so I'll try plowing through it before March. The games I'll either hold on to, skim down, or sell all, leaning towards the skimming, just keeping the ones I really enjoyed

Jan 17 at 11:38:06 AM
DefaultGen (21)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: JohnnyPhantom

Hows the digital game system for the Wii U? has it gotten any better? as in if I sell my Wii U now, and lets saw a year or so goes by and I find one cheap at a yardsale, can I relink my purchases? or once I sell my console are they as good as gone?

Lol. Nintendo's abyssmal handling of download-only games, linking them to hardware, and love of making customers re-buy purchases is a big reason I don't care about virtual console. If I could buy say Super Mario Bros, a game I've purchased at least 3-4 separate times from Nintendo themselves, and have it linked to my Nintendo account that persists across all virtual console platforms, I'd be buying many more digital Nintendo games.

Jan 17 at 6:12:03 PM
ne$_pimp (55)
(Ted ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I'll be playing my WiiU for years to come, just like every Nintendo product. I also want to keep all the indie games and saves on the memory.