Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Finally Finished My Virtual Boy Collection! Yes, another "completed collection" thread :p (Updated March 9/17)

Jan 11 at 4:10:06 PM
Quaze (83)
(Jordan C.) < Ridley Wrangler >
British Columbia
Updated with pics March 9/17  

Hey dudes, I just received my 2nd-run English translated copy of SD Gundam Dimension War from NA user Retro_Dan_Gaming (excellent quality release!), and it was the cherry on top of a few-years-long collection that prompted me to make this thread.

I started collecting for the Virtual Boy about 4 years ago. It had been on my radar ever since its original release in 1995 when I was in junior high, but my family didn’t exactly have extra money kicking around for super-niche video game systems at the time and I knew it, so it went on my mental “someday” list where it stayed for many years. When I started “seriously” collecting a few years back, I was in a game store in Edmonton that had a beaten-down old Virtual Boy behind the display glass. I practically had to wipe the nose and hand prints from the glass when I first saw it. I’m kind of a stickler for condition and this thing was beaten to death so I left it where it was, but the seed was planted.

Shortly after that I found a VB in good shape online, snapped it up and quickly fell in love with it. I’ve long had a penchant for the quirky and obscure, and there aren’t many things in the history of video gaming that can hold a candle to the Virtual Boy in this regard…this probably explains why the N64 is my other gaming love, nostalgia mixed with that “black sheep” factor that appeals to me so much.
I was initially chasing a cart-only set (I collect cart-only for NES/SNES/N64, CIB for everything else) which took a surprisingly long time to complete, probably again due to my high standard for condition. Once the set was complete, I enjoyed it and was satisfied with what I had for a while, but in the back of my mind I kept wanting to start a CIB set since the library was so small. You can probably guess where this is all going, given the “snowball down a hill” nature of collecting  

Fast forward some time later, and I’ve finally put the finishing touches on a complete all-regions (NTSC/Japanese/unlicensed) VB library. It’s probably the last full set I’ll complete for at least the next few years, and I’m glad that we still have members of our community who are producing new high-quality homebrews for it with some regularity, so it’s not like this is "the end” of my VB collecting.

Huge thanks to Rdools, Garakuta, JimmysEddy, Lucrecio, Retro_Dan_Gaming, UncleTusk and especially BigMak for all the help in putting this collection together!

I’ll update this thread later with more pictures of individual items, for now enjoy a high-res shot of the fully-assembled collection  

EDIT: Update March 9/17:

As promised, here are some pics  

The fully-assembled collection:

And a closer look at each part of the display, starting at the top  

The most recent addition to the collection, a Japanese Virtual Boy in-store kiosk...very simple and modest compared to western kiosks:

I've separated the games by region: The unlicensed library on the top shelf, Japan in the middle, NTSC on the 3rd row. One of the jewels of my collection, the prototype for VB Hyper Fighting, can be seen in front of the final version of the game in the first pic:

Below the games are where the consoles are displayed. On the left side of the shelf are both Japanese versions of the Virtual Boy (the prototype "mosaic" model and the standard retail version), and on the right is the NTSC model (which had no such prototype). All 3 consoles are new-in-box, and after searching for what seems like forever I was able to find each one in good shape for a decent price. Also displayed beside the NTSC console are copies of Nintendo Power and Diehard Gamefan which featured the Virtual Boy on the cover, the VB NFR collection which consists of a whopping two titles, and a rather obscure VB promotional item: A deck of Japanese Virtual Boy playing cards.

Below the consoles are where the accessories/odds and ends are displayed. The Virtual Boy had only a very small handful of accessories released for it (unlike Nintendo's other non-totally-failed consoles which all have hundreds of peripherals and accessories), so collecting all of the first and third-party accessories isn't quite so unheard of. These two pictures feature every accessory released for the VB. The first pic is of all the console accessories released for the system. Also in the first pic is a new-in-box Faxview, which is probably the rarest item in my entire gaming collection. Ironic since it's not really a gaming item at all. Micro backstory: Before the technology of the Virtual Boy was pitched to Nintendo, the creators of the VB tech (Reflection Technology) were searching for applications for their 3D wireframe viewer dubbed "the private eye". They sort of half-experimentally released the Faxview at that time, which was basically a handhald fax and email reader that you hold up to your eye like a Viewfinder, and you could in theory view your mid-90's faxes on the go in glorious red wireframe. I think approximately zero of these ever sold, and I've never even seen another one for sale or in person before. The second pic is of the VB carrying case and Blockbuster rental case. Also in the second pic is a copy of Chalvo 55, which Virtual Boy faithful will recognize as the protagonist in the never-released-but-then-released-as-an-unlicensed VB game Bound High!

Another shot of the entire corner display, which is currently fast outgrowing the limited space of my collection room  

Thanks for looking, hope you've enjoyed  

-------------------------
My eBay feedback

Edited: 03/09/2017 at 03:38 PM by Quaze

Jan 11 at 4:14:49 PM
D~Funk (64)
(David Polls) < King Solomon >
Oregon
So sick man! Congrats! Definitely the best Virtual Boy Collection i've ever seen!

Jan 11 at 4:23:52 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Milwaukee_Nintendo (17)
(Charles A) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
Nicely done and congrats on the milestone.

Jan 11 at 4:26:07 PM
Bert (40)
(the Mountain Wampus) < Bowser >
Ontario
Is that the permanent home? Excellent display

Jan 11 at 4:32:23 PM
goldenpp72 (72)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
That looks awesome, very well laid out. Love the aesthetic and such  

My list of games and hardware i'd like to find
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

My topic for selling and trading games
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Jan 11 at 4:32:57 PM
Philosoraptor (51)
< King Solomon >
Texas
Wooo! Lookin' great man! Congratulations!

Jan 11 at 4:34:33 PM
SUBSCRIBER
TheToxieRules (60)
(The Central Scrutinizer. ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
That looks awesome man!

Jan 11 at 4:51:49 PM
Alf Pogs (2)
< Tourian Tourist >
California
Whoa

Off and on NES collector since roughly 1996.  650+ games and counting.

Also enjoy other systems but NES takes priority. 

Feel free to follow my game collecting exploits on instagram @cartmageddon or not.  It's up to you.

Jan 11 at 4:57:28 PM
mydogsrule (152)
(Jonathan Smith) < Lolo Lord >
Tennessee
You definately have a nice setup for the collection. Looks sharp. Congrats!

Jan 11 at 5:02:53 PM
ZBomber (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
Impressive! I wasn't even aware there were unlicensed games for the system.

Jan 11 at 5:29:14 PM
Allegro (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
Congrats, and CIB too. This is a dream of mine, too, so its great to see the end result. What was the hardest title to come by for you?

Jan 11 at 6:01:27 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick H) < Meka Chicken >
California
I'm usually not "extremely" impressed with Virtual Boy collections. But I am with yours :-). Well done and nicely displayed!

gamevaluenow
Get the value of your games at gamevaluenow.com
Owner/Developer

Jan 11 at 6:05:28 PM
The Count (97)
(Grant X.) < El Ripper >
Minnesota
Well done! Your neck must be killing you.

Jan 11 at 6:11:07 PM
RetroReploid (3)
(Trevor ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Amazing VB collection and I never thought I would ever say that about a VB collection.

Jan 11 at 6:13:20 PM
jonebone (511)
(N64 Fanatic) < Pit >
Maryland
Great collection and dedication!

WTB: NM / Mint NES CIBs & Turbografx 16 CIBs
My eBay, 10% Off if sold on NA!  http://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone7...
Now Playing: Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Recent Beats: Halo Wars 2 (XB1), Steamworld Heist (Wii U), Shantaes (3DS & Wii U), Sleeping Dogs (XB1)

Jan 11 at 6:43:38 PM
DefaultGen (20)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Meka Chicken >
United States
What, no rental case? Just kidding, awesome collection! I always think of VB as such a small thing because I have a stack of a dozen loose US games but your beautiful display makes it look so substantial!

Jan 11 at 6:45:56 PM
Quaze (83)
British Columbia
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

What, no rental case? Just kidding, awesome collection! I always think of VB as such a small thing because I have a stack of a dozen loose US games but your beautiful display makes it look so substantial!

Thanks for the kind words guys! *insert "feels good man" meme* You'll see a bunch of the accessories/odds and ends in the pictures I was talking about posting a little later ;P

My eBay feedback

Edited: 01/11/2017 at 11:29 PM by Quaze

Jan 11 at 6:47:50 PM
Quaze (83)
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Allegro

Congrats, and CIB too. This is a dream of mine, too, so its great to see the end result. What was the hardest title to come by for you?

Honestly it was hunting down titles in the condition I wanted that was the true challenge. I got extremely lucky with a few connections with members here, and most of the high-end titles all came from the same couple of people  

My eBay feedback

Jan 11 at 6:51:58 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Mega Tank (130)
< Bowser >
United States
Congrats on the completed set. It looks very nice!  

FS/FT/FO Garage Sale Here: Click This.
1 Day left in the Logo Contest! Yes there is something to win! :  Click me. You know you want to.

Jan 11 at 7:14:12 PM
Quaze (83)
British Columbia
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

Is that the permanent home? Excellent display

It is for as long as I live in this house, the VB gets its own wall  

My eBay feedback

Jan 11 at 7:27:18 PM
SUBSCRIBER
1337bcc1991 (173)
(Brandon ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Wow Jordan... looks great. Congrats

Want thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Sale thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

N64 NTSC VG+/NM cart-only set thus far: 235/296

Jan 11 at 8:21:55 PM
nintendosegalova (18)
< Meka Chicken >
Greece
Fantastic, congrats .I've always been interested in the VB for that reason too.

Jan 11 at 9:10:55 PM
SoleGooseProductions (120)
(Beau ) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
That top shelf is the best!

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jan 11 at 9:47:09 PM
Silverspoon (31)
(Justin Steimer) < Kraid Killer >