Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nintendo's January, 1985 CES exhibit Scans inside

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:13:46 AM
Brain Breaker (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Alaska

I posted some poor quality digital pics of one or two of these a couple of years ago, but now that I've made some decent scans, I thought I'd post the whole set here for historical interest's sake.

These pictures are from the January, 1985 CES in Las Vegas, where Nintendo first showed their "proto-NES", the Advanced Video System . Only a few US print sources at the time bothered to mention Nintendo's booth, usually quite briefly, with few images available. However, in the April, 1985 issue of the pioneering Japanese game magazine Beep, they did a full report on the show, which included a visit to Nintendo's exhibit. Obviously, the third image down is the clearest display of the system in action, but look closely in the background of the first two, and you'll see the units lined up and being played by showgoers. As far as I know, these are the only extant pictures of Nintendo's display from this show, and of the AVS actually being operated.

Edited: 06/07/2015 at 12:15 AM by Brain Breaker

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:16:41 AM
rosebride (0)
(Amy Holzeard) < Little Mac >
Indiana
Awesome! thanks for uploading.

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:18:42 AM
SixFistedNinja (18)
(Jory Beatty) < Eggplant Wizard >
Maryland
I wonder if Nintendo still has these floor units some where on display? It's not every day you get to claim to be a pivotal role in saving a past-time that was quickly sinking into the eb and flow of time due to terrible products. Old photos like these always fascinate me. I consider it akin to having photos of the computer trade show Steve Jobs and The Woz showed up at with their first system. The photographer doesn't know they're capturing the beginning of something tremendous; they're just doing their job and hoping the film doesn't come out burned.

-------------------------
4 of 6 of my CIB is confirmed! OH MAN. SOMEONE GO BACK IN TIME AND TELL CHILDHOOD ME HE'S GETTING HIS SHIT BACK!
Currently playing through: Shining in the Darkness. Because some times you need to wander aimlessly in first person perspective through a maze with no distinctive marking and impress a king to go into another maze, to save his daughter. Plus I use any excuse to get more time with my Genesis now that I have HD Retrovision component cables for it.

Edited: 06/07/2015 at 12:21 AM by SixFistedNinja

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:25:28 AM
Brain Breaker (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Alaska
Originally posted by: SixFistedNinja

I wonder if Nintendo still has these floor units some where on display? It's not every day you get to claim to be a pivotal role in saving a past-time that was quickly sinking into the eb and flow of time due to terrible products. Old photos like these always fascinate me. I consider it akin to have photos of the computer trade show Steve Jobs and The Woz first showed up at with their first system. The photographer doesn't know they're capturing the beginning of something tremendous; they're just doing their job and hoping the film doesn't come out burned.

Yes, they used to have parts of it on display at Nintendo World in NYC:

http://ptoponline.com/?p=491...

However, that display didn't seem to include the actual main AVS unit itself, for some reason.

Edited: 06/07/2015 at 12:26 AM by Brain Breaker

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:35:44 AM
dropkickorange (31)
(Nate ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Connecticut
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. What did the article say about Nintendo's exhibit?

"What happened? Your dog think your Game Boy some huge biscuit? Your kid drop it into the toilet..."

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:48:50 AM
theirontoupee (37)
(I Need Exertainment ) < Bowser >
Wisconsin
Very cool photos!

WTB Thread (Always looking for Exertainment related items)

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread!!!

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:26:32 AM
Painmaster212 (6)
(Gabe Gann) < Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
Very cool pictures! Is there anymore to share from the event?

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:37:35 AM
Danimal Collective (50)
(Dan imal) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
I wonder what they were demoing in the red kiosk booths.

Also, love the Canadian tuxedo in the background of the first picture. Denim on denim on denim

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:47:45 AM
DreamTR (154)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Those are red tent arcade machines. I am sure they had VS games to play.

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:59:41 AM
1upped (37)
(A S) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Great post! Love these old historical articles/photos!

Are you clever enough to unravel the mystery of Clu Clu land?

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:13:54 AM
gunpei (6)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Thank you!

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:18:44 AM
laddersandcakes (57)
(Chris ) < El Ripper >
Virginia
Whoa, cool. Hard to imagine a world where Nintendo was just another booth.

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:01:04 PM
Shane (143)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Awesome post, love seeing the dudes in business suits playing on the VS System.

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:26:03 PM
ghostpilot (2)
< Little Mac >
England
Awesome pics!! Crazy that it doesn't even look that busy!!! How times have changed!!!

Youtube Channel - https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC3...

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:14:33 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
thanks for sharing these! very cool

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:18:42 PM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
Originally posted by: SixFistedNinja

I wonder if Nintendo still has these floor units some where on display? It's not every day you get to claim to be a pivotal role in saving a past-time that was quickly sinking into the eb and flow of time due to terrible products. Old photos like these always fascinate me. I consider it akin to having photos of the computer trade show Steve Jobs and The Woz showed up at with their first system. The photographer doesn't know they're capturing the beginning of something tremendous; they're just doing their job and hoping the film doesn't come out burned.

This is precisely whay I find these old photgraphs so fascinating. Have you ever seen the old photographs of the grindhouse theaters on 42nd Street? I adore looking at them and studying every seedy detail, yet they are so hard to come by, I am afraid. Well, at least they are for someone with as limited computer machine capabilities as I prossess.

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:38:43 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
Hot booth chick reminds me of Stacey from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:48:13 PM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
I want a bagel so bad right now.

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:27:59 AM
jfreakofkorn (18)
< King Solomon >
United States
look seeing the retro time(s) ... I mean look at how they dressed back then

something from a different time

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:10:39 AM
fsped09 (226)
(( nes-city.com )) < King Solomon >
New York
Nice post! Thanks for sharing these with us!

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:33:54 AM
Brain Breaker (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Alaska
Originally posted by: dropkickorange

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. What did the article say about Nintendo's exhibit?

It was a fairly brief write-up, basically just describing the various components and how they did or didn't relate to their domestic Famicom equivalents. Their main impression was how serious, adult, refined, etc. the designs were compared to the toy-like Famicom aesthetics, which was a theme that carried over in later Japanese reports of the actual NES.

Perhaps the most interesting impression they came away with was that the wireless controllers were catering directly to American living spaces. They seemed to think that Americans' larger rooms and television screen sizes meant that users wouldn't want/need to sit right in front of their TVs to play, as most Japanese tended to.

Edited: 06/08/2015 at 08:37 AM by Brain Breaker

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:03:27 AM
Zwario (30)
(Carlos Monoz) < Meka Chicken >
California
Dude! Thanks for sharing the photos! They are fantastic!!

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:18:38 PM
dropkickorange (31)
(Nate ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Brain Breaker

Originally posted by: dropkickorange

It was a fairly brief write-up, basically just describing the various components and how they did or didn't relate to their domestic Famicom equivalents. Their main impression was how serious, adult, refined, etc. the designs were compared to the toy-like Famicom aesthetics, which was a theme that carried over in later Japanese reports of the actual NES.

Perhaps the most interesting impression they came away with was that the wireless controllers were catering directly to American living spaces. They seemed to think that Americans' larger rooms and television screen sizes meant that users wouldn't want/need to sit right in front of their TVs to play, as most Japanese tended to.

Wow, they were certainly right about that last point! I'm sure they felt the same way about the longer controller cables too.

"What happened? Your dog think your Game Boy some huge biscuit? Your kid drop it into the toilet..."

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:27:38 PM
UncleBob (1)
(Uncle Bob) < Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
Funny story. A close source tells me that the AVS on display was a painted wood block. I've heard the same of the AVS on display at Nintendo World Store.

I wonder how many incidental photos of Nintendo's 1985 booth are out there.

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:37:44 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Bowser >
California
People actually playing makes it more likely the displays (including NY) are at least functional. You can even see the guy aiming the controller down at the system. System still could be painted wood with a Famicom board inside. They certainly had the moneys to make real models.