Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Is there a way to tell if a VGA graded game has been...

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:20:51 PM
Braveheart69 (221)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington

SWITCHED?

Here was the auction and I got this DIRT cheap for VGA game... I think I've been had?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&i...

Now look at the scan there are 3 different corners that show white and are poked through the plastic.  If this is an 85 then I got at least 200 that should get 100 grades on my shelf.  Look at the bottom left corner specifically.

-------------------------

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 240 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:22:43 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Max (Ray) Frisbee) < Bowser >
Tennessee
VGA is going down the drain fast. IMO

[18:07] osg: It is my lifelon goal to be in everyone's signature

Current project: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:32:33 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
And damn, look at all that HORRIBLE shrinkwrap wrinkling! On the corners....AND two 1" areas up the right-hand side?!? [/sarcasm.hinting.at.the.silly.things.that.devalue.a.game.from.a.perfect.100]

Edited: 12/06/2008 at 07:33 PM by dangevin

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:35:37 PM
srh201 (112)
(Hootie McBoobins D.N.S.) < Bowser >
United States
no way that someone switched a wcw only to sell it for a whopping $28! i just think that the grading is inconsistent. hell... its not lot its a big operation over there at vga! they got a bunch of geeks deciding if games are mint or not. there is a 0% chance that i ever send anything over to them to get graded!

Look, if you don't like the things that I post, don't PM me about it and don't start a war in a thread. Just FOE ME so you don't have to read my posts! That's why Dain put it there! Use it!!!

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:36:13 PM
rarebucky (166)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Yep that looks like an 85. 4 perfect corners plus perfect everything else gets you a 90.

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:23:22 PM
Braveheart69 (221)
Washington
Wow that's pretty bad... as this is something that I would want replaced in my collection long term... can't believe this is an 85.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 240 / 257 Sealed/NEW!

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:29:10 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
I've heard some people make the comment that they let some weak 85's through early on before they kind of figured things out. That's just hearsay and I haven't a clue if its true. But based on the stuff I sent in I don't think there's any chance this would get an 85 now based on the bottom left corner alone. But that's speculation.

So there you have it, a post full of hearsay and speculation

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 12/06/2008 at 08:29 PM by Bronty

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:30:22 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
to answer your first question, no way has it been switched... you'd have to bust open the case. I don't think its possible.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:45:29 PM
Braveheart69 (221)
Washington
Thanks Dan... I figured something was up with this... is there anyway to tell where in the grading lifecycle it was graded by the number above the bar code?

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:05:36 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

Thanks Dan... I figured something was up with this... is there anyway to tell where in the grading lifecycle it was graded by the number above the bar code?

Yeah I believe so, the grading companies in other hobbies at least always have a method to their numbering.   I haven't looked at it for vga though.    I'll look at my games later and see.

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:13:01 PM
pedro! (24)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Pedro Games) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
This reminds me of a graded Tecmo Super Bowl that sold a while back. Had a terrible corner on it and graded 85. Nothing like the 85s Bronty posted here that he'd received back a while ago.

WWW.PEDROGAMES.COM

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:15:52 PM
Braveheart69 (221)
Washington
Well that's exactly why I posted it here knowing Dan would see the thread. If his beauty's were 85's then this has to be like a 75?

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:43:28 PM
Marton (95)
(Martin T) < Ridley Wrangler >
Quebec
Who the hell sell graded games for the price of the grading alone ?

Download my band's FREE ALBUM ! http://thenewrome.bandcamp.com/...

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:36:53 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

Well that's exactly why I posted it here knowing Dan would see the thread. If his beauty's were 85's then this has to be like a 75?

No, no way... the damage on that box is not that bad, at least not from your scan.   Its as good as the 80s I've seen.

Here's another 85 though that does look better than the wcw for comparison though.   Naturally some items of the same grade will look better than others though.

http://members.shaw.ca/sealed/DSCN3875.JPG

http://members.shaw.ca/sealed/DSCN3876.JPG

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:38:53 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Really, that wcw isn't that bad from the scan, anyways.

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:06:47 AM
rarebucky (166)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I have 85s in similar shape. Usually if it's just one or 2 corners poking through you'll get an 85. It has to be PERFECT to get a 90.

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:49:21 PM
VideoGameGrader (0)

(TL Alexander) < Cherub >
Georgia

Hi Everyone,

I doubt this game has been switched.  The eBay pictures certainly make the game look worse than an 85 and if I base my comment solely on the pictures, I'd say the grade is  a mistake.  With humans doing both grading and entering grades, it is possible for the wrong grade to be entered and not caught in the final shipping check, just as it is possible to simply make a bad judgment call at some point.  The most intensive grade checks occur right before a label is printed, so while mistakes such as these are quite rare, they certainly do happen.  VGA stands behind graded products and if something is clearly incorrectly graded, VGA will refund the fair market value or purchase price of a game to any dissatisfied buyer.

As far as the grading system tightening up after the first few months, there is some truth to that assertion.  However, I think you'd be hard pressed to find 85s out there that look like the Wrestling game does in the photograph (although I'd guess that much of the appearance is due to a poor quality photograph and glare from the black box and cellophane).

In the first few months, VGA focused on the overall box structure much more than now, counting surface stressing as one of the most serious flaws, which is how toys are graded.  It became apparent after a few months and alot of feedback that video game collectors were much more focused on cellophane and corners than imperfections which toy collectors look for.  As with any new service which values a long term reputation, VGA took many surveys and suggestions from numerous collectors.  The scale was tightened a bit in relation to the aforementioned flaws as a result of the preferences conveyed to VGA.  As it was with AFA, VGA will continue to improve and offer video game collectors services which best reflect their preferences.  This involves slight modifications to the grading scale, especially in the beginning, when a service is new and lower quantities have been graded.  Making a mistake once, or even several times, does not mean that it should be repeated, so VGA has adapted to better reflect what video game collectors view as substantial flaws.  If I had to guess, I'd say there are probably 50 games out there which would receive a slightly lower grade if looked at again today.  These improvements, along with the satisfaction guarantee still make buying VGA-graded games the safest possible option for sealed video game collectors.

Even though improvements were made to the service after the first few months of operation, I would still advise anyone out there that grading and data entry mistakes will occasionally be made.  The grading department at CGA (all divisions) grades over 5,000 items each month and with people making judgment calls and entering data, no service offered will ever be perfect.  The VGA guarantee is therefore in place to compensate collectors for clear mistakes, and to further ensure that VGA collectors are happy with the products they receive.

Please feel free to email me with any additional questions.  I'm always happy to help.

Thank you,

Tom

Edited: 12/07/2008 at 04:51 PM by VideoGameGrader

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:47:03 PM
jonebone (527)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Personally, I think the entire grading system is flawed and always will be. It's just like an English essay, who's to say what separates a B+ from an A- paper, or a 88 from a 90? Now VGA has tried to eliminate humor error as much as possible by only using numbers divisible by 5, but there still is no set rubric for exact grading... and there never will be.

I do agree that this game definitely shouldn't have gotten the 85 rating though...

WTB Sealed & CIB Mint Games!
NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16

Now Playing: Mario Rabbids Kingdom (Switch)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:08:22 PM
guillavoie (124)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
I think VGA should grade a few factors to explain the overall grade. Factors like: Corners - Shape - Plastic - etc.

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:52:41 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: jonebone

Personally, I think the entire grading system is flawed and always will be. It's just like an English essay, who's to say what separates a B+ from an A- paper, or a 88 from a 90? 

Nonetheless, a grade must be given for papers. For those things that collectors wish to have graded, they require a party to evaluate, and VGA presents themselves for that service.

And who is to say: customers have decided that VGA experts are to say, which is why they've been trained and paid to provide this service, ultimately by the consumer/demand. What Tom's saying is there IS a human element, but they financially back up their process, fully recognizing this element, and while striving to provide an excellent service, promising to make better for inevitable faults.

Even in machine-made assembly line products, there's a tolerance for error and it must be recognized and accounted for.

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:32:31 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
why anyone would waste their time and money to have this game (any game IMO) graded anyways is beyond me. Even if this was a perfect 100 it wouldn't be worth the cash and effort for what little profit you would make from selling it. Sure there is human error but that has some pretty major issues for the score and should have been pretty easy to recognize.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:38:36 PM
jofinn36 (9)

(Joseph Finnigan) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
I would think someone might be trying to get a feel for there grading. What makes an 80 what makes an 90.

Dec 8, 2008 at 11:21:14 AM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
I disagree Jason. I can see perfectly why someone buys graded games. I agree with you however about getting a sub-perfect game graded, since the people wanting to pay extra for a graded game will no doubt pass on anything below a certain level.

I can see you're point however about the grade being meaningless in this case.

If I wanted to really go for collecting sealed games (unstead of my passive collecting style) I'd likely go with VGA. Maybe thats just me. And I would even do it for commons.

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Dec 8, 2008 at 1:54:52 PM
Braveheart69 (221)
Washington
Well graded games don't fit in my collection shelves so I don't want them in my collection. I will admit they look really cool and I love the case they are in, they just are too big for my custom shelves. Someday I might like to have a few select titles VGA graded as display items but the only reason I bought this was because it was so cheap... I basically thought hey I can buy a sealed game for the price of grading alone and because I hadn't held one or seen one in person so I couldn't pass it up. But now saying that if anyone wants this I would sell it for the $32 I paid for it plus $6 shipping. Maybe Wizard wants this so he can bust it open and say he did!