Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Black Box Challenge - NintendoAge Limited "Black Box" Edition Auction! Black Wooden Box and Specialized Cartridge. Only 10 Copies Available.

LOCKED TOPIC

Sep 13 at 10:42:08 AM
SUBSCRIBER
thesubcon3 (147)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Maryland

It's time for a classic-style NintendoAge Limited Edition Auction for Jeffrey Wittenhagen's Black Box Challenge. This NES Homebrew is an RPG where you collect NES games and was created by Roth of Sly Dog Studios, in association with The Complete NES Kickstarter project. There are a total of 10 LEs that will be available in this auction.

*See the Auction Rules under all of the images and videos.*

About Jeffrey Wittenhagen's Black Box Challenge:

Black Box Challenge is a seemingly classic RPG that takes the entire idea of the genre and turns it upside down!

In the game you are collecting the NES Black Box titles in order to appease "The Evil Overlord", and simply because you like NES games. As you collect the games, you actually play them in your house within the game to unlock abilities that help you out along your adventure. These vary from in-battle attacks, new ways to traverse on the overworld screen and even latent modifiers that help you dispose of enemies; like YouTubers and Resellers!

Battles are action oriented with a stamina meter that allows you to attack as long as you are able; hopefully before the enemy does. You can counter any attack that is thrown at you, once you have all the proper abilities to do so. After each battle your health is automatically restored, so you don't have to worry about health items or anything. This is a very streamlined approach to a traditional RPG!

Throughout the game there are tons of references to NintendoAge members, sayings and even NES Homebrew games. There are also a lot of NPCs that were modeled after backers from the Kickstarter campaign, and even some bonuses thrown in there to boot. This is the ultimate fan game and Roth really outdid himself with the atmosphere of the game!

Giant Amount of Gameplay!

Auction Rules:

***You can be from any country to bid, you'll just have to cover the shipping costs.***

- Minimum/Starting bid is $100 USD.
- Bids have to be
increments of $10 or more.
-
You can bid as frequently as you would like, however it must be in whole dollar amounts and not include cents.

- In classic NintendoAge LE auction fashion, there is no "defined" ending date. The auction can end at any time, which I may do early or late, so bid early and often!

- You cannot bid the same amount as anyone else.

- Each copy where the bid goes over $250 will get a perler of the main character. If for some crazy reason it goes over $500 I will also do one of the "secret" main character who is Awesoime!

- Must be a NintendoAge member before the start of the auction.

- DO NOT EDIT YOUR BID. If it is edited, that bid will be disqualified. PM me if you make a mistake.

- You can ONLY increase your bid, no going lower than your previous bid.

- When increasing your bid, you do not have to bid the highest, it just has to be over the minimum to guarantee a copy.

- You can only win 1 LE from this auction, which will be from your highest bid.

- Shipping and customs fees are NOT INCLUDED in the bid and must be paid by the winner. I will work with you on shipping, however this is a large item and it will be packed well. Stateside will likely be a Regional Rate A box, which should be around $10-12, International will likely be Medium Flat Rate, which varies per country. Insurance will be offered if you want to add it on.

- PayPal Goods and Services is the preferred method of payment.

- Numbers are assigned based on the highest bidder getting to choose their number or simply choosing the lowest number available.

*Winners*

At the conclusion of the auction, I will be setting up NA transactions for the winners. Winners will have 1 week after the conclusion of the auction to pay for their copy. If you fail to pay, your copy will fall to the next highest bidder in the cutoff bids.

Each Limited Edition will Include:

- 1 Numbered Game Cartridge, Designed by Mr. Wizard Reproductions that includes 30 mini-cartridges of each Black Box game inside. The cartridge is clear and the label is semi-translucent, which looks amazing!

- A Wooden Box that is stained black with a heavy coat of gloss on it. These are all done by hand so each one will be slightly different, giving them a unique feel.

- Sticker labels on the front, inside cover (Hand-numbered) and spines of the box that contain artwork from the project. The outer spine is a sticker but I will include vinyl lettering if you want to swap it out.

- Blue felt cloth to lay the cartridge on that simulates the water motif of the artwork. The cartridge is best displayed sideways with the inside cover art, but can be done however you'd like.
- Manual in a Black Box Style

- Magnet of the Label
- Extra Vinyl End Label for the Wooden Box (in case you don't like the clear sticker that was used)

- Hagen's Alley Books business card

*Bonus Items*

- (If your bid is over $250) Perler bead art of the main character.

- (If your bid is over $500) Perler bead art of the "secret" main character!

- (If you backed the NPC Tier or Kickstarter LE) Bonus Custom Perler!

More Details:

The game is made using a special mapper and boards from InfiniteNESLives. Each board contains flash memory which allows you to save your progress. There is only one save slot, so be careful not to overwrite your save! It has been tested on the AVS and real NES hardware. It has not been tested on other clone systems. If you have any questions, please ask.

Printed label materials for the Wooden Box were provided by UncleTusk and the custom cartridge was entirely done by Mr. Wizard Reproductions. The Wooden Box was stained and glossed by me.

Initial proceeds from this Auction will go to reimburse the cost of shipping that was undercharged for all games with the original Black Box Challenge Kickstarter Campaign and paid for out of pocket. A portion of any extra proceeds will go to the NintendoAge server fund to help out our "Evil Overlord"!

Example of Combat

Example of Minigames

Extra Pictures:

Top 10 Bidders:
1:  
Ferris Bueller ($250)
2:  coffeewithmrsaturn ($210)
3:  RPBoy ($200)
4:  dewisp02 ($190)
5:  ​The Hero ($180)
6:  RpgCollector ($170)
7:  gwyndion ($160)
8:  Skorp ($150)
9:  neodolphino ($140)
10: uatudawatcha ($130)
--------------Below the Threshold--------------
Gloves ($120)
Kapman ($110)

-------------------------

You can check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

The Complete SNES (Definitive Edition) is Live on Kickstarter!:

​https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thesubcon3/the-complet...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
2D Zelda-Style Games - Crusader of Centy (Genesis), Anything else?
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, 8-Bit Xmas 08-09, Bust a Nut LE, Slappin Bitches LE, Blade Buster (with save)

Edited: 09/15/2017 at 10:55 PM by thesubcon3

Sep 13 at 10:44:17 AM
Kapman (0)

< Cherub >
North Carolina

Sep 13 at 11:02:01 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (55)
(Douglas Glover) < King Solomon >
Ontario
$120

NEW! Price out your collection at gamevaluenow.com
Developer

Sep 13 at 11:22:41 AM
Skorp (30)
(Bryan ) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
$150

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need three more:
              Minty Starfox NFR, Diddy Kong Racing, and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread

Sep 13 at 11:26:41 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Ferris Bueller (212)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
$100

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Sep 13 at 12:32:19 PM
uatudawatcha (2)
(Ernie ) < Crack Trooper >
Delaware
$100

Sep 13 at 12:55:54 PM
SUBSCRIBER
neodolphino (161)
(Justin ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: uatudawatcha

$100

Gotta change your amount, friend... Someone already bid $100... and $110... Has to be $120 or another not already taken increment.

Edit: errr $130

Edited: 09/13/2017 at 12:56 PM by neodolphino

Sep 13 at 12:57:49 PM
SUBSCRIBER
neodolphino (161)
(Justin ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Also, $140 for me.

Sep 13 at 12:59:42 PM
uatudawatcha (2)
(Ernie ) < Crack Trooper >
Delaware
Missed it, sorry. 130

Sep 13 at 1:04:36 PM
SUBSCRIBER
thesubcon3 (147)
Maryland
Originally posted by: uatudawatcha

Missed it, sorry. 130
not a problem and thanks Justin for catching that!

www.hagensalley.com

NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, 8-Bit Xmas 08-09, Bust a Nut LE, Slappin Bitches LE, Blade Buster (with save)

Sep 13 at 1:25:07 PM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
$160

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Sep 13 at 2:58:17 PM
RpgCollector (125)
(Jeff Oconnell) < Kraid Killer >
California
$170

Looking for these USA Sega Game Gear Games Complete or Box Only:

Berenstain Bears - Bubble Bobble  - CJ Elephant - Fantastic Dizzy - Formula One -  Home Alone  - Junction - Mega Man - Micro Machines - Ninja Gaiden - Robocop vs Terminator - SpiderMan Xmen - Soprts Illustrated - Super Off Road - Urban Strike - Zool

Sep 13 at 4:28:28 PM
SUBSCRIBER
The Hero (382)
(Issa ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Aww man I was looking for this and it's already at a high point so if I want to bid I have to bid higher than the highest bidder or just an increment if 10 let me know?

Sep 13 at 4:40:40 PM
captmorgandrinker (548)
(Throw apples at NESDJ) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: The Hero

Aww man I was looking for this and it's already at a high point so if I want to bid I have to bid higher than the highest bidder or just an increment if 10 let me know?

You can't have the same bid as anybody else, so the next available increment of 10 would also happen to be 10 higher than the highest bidder right now.

Sep 13 at 4:44:18 PM
SUBSCRIBER
The Hero (382)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

You can't have the same bid as anybody else, so the next available increment of 10 would also happen to be 10 higher than the highest bidder right now.

Yeah thats kinda what i figured thanks

Sep 13 at 4:45:09 PM
SUBSCRIBER
The Hero (382)
Pennsylvania

Sep 13 at 5:02:10 PM
SUBSCRIBER
thesubcon3 (147)
Maryland

Well whatever I guess Ill do 180$ :'(
Sorry for the confusion but yeah that's how it has been going thusfar. A ton of work went into these so I wanted to ensure that even if they went for the lowest amount possible, that it'd be covered. Thanks for the bid Issa!

www.hagensalley.com

Sep 13 at 5:47:17 PM
johnblueriggs (27)
(John Riggs) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
I'll also add that I've been playing this game for the past week (yes, I actually played this game more than my review copy of Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS) -- highly addicting! Very fun game.

@johnblueriggs on Twitter, Instagram and all gaming platforms (Wii U, PSN, ect.)

YouTube at RIGG'd Games

Sep 13 at 8:56:38 PM
dewisp02 (71)
(Mr. Jason) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
$190

-Wanting boxes for Panic Restaurant, Bubble Bobble 2, Earthbound [cardboard insert, too], manuals for Stack Up, Wayne's World, and EVO [box & manual only]!!

Sep 13 at 8:58:08 PM
SUBSCRIBER
The Hero (382)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: dewisp02

$190

I'm impressed! I thought I'd be the highest bidder throughout lol!

Sep 13 at 9:07:57 PM
dewisp02 (71)
Indiana
$190
If people want a copy, they have to bid the highest bid now since auction is set up with the starting bid $100, increments of $10, and no duplicate bids... Only option is to to bid higher than the highest bid.

-Wanting boxes for Panic Restaurant, Bubble Bobble 2, Earthbound [cardboard insert, too], manuals for Stack Up, Wayne's World, and EVO [box & manual only]!!

Edited: 09/13/2017 at 09:08 PM by dewisp02

Sep 13 at 9:11:43 PM
RPBoy (10)
(Fast Eddie ) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
$200

Sep 13 at 9:36:04 PM
SUBSCRIBER
The Hero (382)
Pennsylvania

$190
If people want a copy, they have to bid the highest bid now since auction is set up with the starting bid $100, increments of $10, and no duplicate bids... Only option is to to bid higher than the highest bid.

Hahaha yeah ur right, what I'm saying isn't LEs haven't been going for that much lately.  I didn't think we would make it to the 200s but very cool!

Sep 13 at 10:49:27 PM
dewisp02 (71)
Indiana
$190
Hahaha yeah ur right, what I'm saying isn't LEs haven't been going for that much lately.  I didn't think we would make it to the 200s but very cool!

Sep 13 at 11:26:00 PM
Skorp (30)
(Bryan ) < Meka Chicken >
Texas

$190

Plus, it is a really creative LE, so won't be surprised it go even higher...and higher with more interest coming in.   Good luck everyone.

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need three more:
              Minty Starfox NFR, Diddy Kong Racing, and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread