Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Neo Geo X already hacked, amusing findings

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:36:55 PM
Tanooki (185)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I'll give the links up front:
http://www.substance-tv.com/neo-g...
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/sho... <-hacking forum, lots of pics/info

Anyway this is pretty fun and funny stuff going on with this.  Here's some highlights, you can skim the 2nd link for lots of pics and amusing stuff.

-- No on board storage, system has a docked 2GB microSD card!
-- No encryption real encryption, using 'testdisk' discovers 3 Linux partitions, 1 FAT32(1GB in size)
-- Other games can be loaded, just rename a ROM to the name of a game ROM on the stored list of titles!
-- Fastest/best cache variant of a known Ingenic CPU used in Dingoo portable emulators and like devices
-- Once the boot code is cracked, should handle OpenDinguX opening up lots of emulators and updates for fixes?
-- Some French writer(translated) found the handheld to be using the Dingoo version of Final Burn Alpha, a CPS1/2/NeoGeo arcade emulator to play the games!
-- WIthin a file in the system, it appears to be a config list for perhaps every known NeoGeo game
-- Ninja Masters SD card cracked, was able to properly extract the data in a readable format to the PC
-- Ninja Masters doesn't straight load, have to pick from a menu, shows more games(multi-game) SDs could come
-- One of the Linux partitions(250MB in size) has DingooX emulators in it for NES, GBA, GBC, Genesis, SNES, SMS, PS1, and more.

Hardware: Ingenic JZ4770 CPU @1ghz ~250mw, 1080p decoding unit VC-1 and VP8(secondary 500mhz mips cpu with SIMD extension), 2D+3D GC860 graphics core, supports OpenGL ES2.0 and Open VG 1.1

I have to say this is pretty interesting but they seem to feel this thing was designed by Tommo to be hacked as everything is just left with plenty of room to work, trace lines, ink all over, and the SD card of all things held in with a spot of glue into it's dock.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:46:26 PM
Karkilan (64)
(Benjamin Gorham) < Meka Chicken >
New Brunswick
sick

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:51:51 PM
Karkilan (64)
(Benjamin Gorham) < Meka Chicken >
New Brunswick
The Canadian release for this is supposedly not until the 2nd of January. I have one coming in the mail, but who knows when it'll show. I'm pretty stoked if it can be hacked.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:00:41 PM
Guntz (115)
(Famicom Master Race) < Master Higgins >
Canada
That's just embarrassing...

-------------------------

Stop by at the Micro-64 Forums too
Latest article: Doshin the Giant 1 (64DD)

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:09:46 PM
Firebrandx (7)
(Wolff Morrow) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: Tanooki

-- Some French writer(translated) found the handheld to be using the Dingoo version of Final Burn Alpha, a CPS1/2/NeoGeo arcade emulator to play the games!

-- One of the Linux partitions(250MB in size) has DingooX emulators in it for NES, GBA, GBC, Genesis, SNES, SMS, PS1, and more.

These two entries crack me up the most.

Edited: 12/23/2012 at 10:09 PM by Firebrandx

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:18:15 PM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other
So really there was no reason to not get a PSP and mod it. But still, the thing has some okay hardware over all. I'd like to see some people release stuff for it, seems like a cool system to run things on, and it seems to be ready to emulate those other systems.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:22:58 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Bowser >
California
Wonder if the base hardware was for more general purpose and they shopped it around until they found SNK? Using plain/micro SD cards as built in storage is pretty common. Very cheap, easy to set capacity, don't need a way to program in system.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:35:21 PM
Guntz (115)
(Famicom Master Race) < Master Higgins >
Canada
Maybe I'll grab a Neo Geo X for emulators if it goes down to a better price (~$100).

Stop by at the Micro-64 Forums too
Latest article: Doshin the Giant 1 (64DD)

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:37:49 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
Firebrand, that's why I said it was 'amusing' though I suppose I could have popped sad into it as well.

Bunny, I can't recall the name but digging through that neo-geo forum someone said that it's identical to a handheld being run as a kickstarter project right now. I'm not sure what all that means if they're not looking for more sources of income or if it's some really odd coincidence. Either way, if that is for sure, I can see lots of cross developed projects if that kickstarter handheld doesn't eat it.

I was pretty sold on the system as it was for the stand alone, but now I'm totally thrilled. I will be watching that thread actively and if they can bust this sucker entirely open(let's be honest, when, not if) I'll perhaps pop for the big one even as it has lots of options. It would be pretty badass having that thing running CPS1 and 2 games on my home television.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:58:46 PM
Shinju (53)
(Nintendo Collector) < Ridley Wrangler >
Washington
Sweet stuff!

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:45:28 AM
uiengineer (220)
(jeff .) < King Solomon >
Illinois
i was following that 2nd link. pretty hilarious. i want one, but don't plan on getting one until the handheld itself is $50ish

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:44:10 AM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
Seems the delay for the things release by 2 weeks maybe uncovered.

There's 3 firmware releases so far of this device, and the third one has a samsung memory storage on board, no microSD card in place! Tommo still screwed themselves though as that SD card slot is very very readable and open. Those who have the older 2 (limited) release models of the system with the card can still dissect it, use programming tools to learn, and keep whittling away at how that card was setup (as far as the data goes as it would also be on the internal storage as such.) They do know the SD card slot is wide open for play, but via that internal microSD card along with Ninja Masters as a set of keys in a way it's a matter of time before you can load whatever off that sd card slot.

They've since I last posted got it to boot up UniBIOS, and learned how to swap out the current menu icons with home made ones allowing for more games with their own pictures to load as well in the menu. The menu still currently is limited to the 20 tiles, but, it's a process. I wouldn't be surprised they peel this whole thing open before New Years unless something ugly pops up, but with the outright lack of security going on I doubt it.

I'm now tempted to possibly not wait on the $130 handheld only model and pop for the big toy here just because I like the dock and hte joystick, just not $200 much for it stock. I'd love to load up a heap of NG games on this thing (perhaps CPS1/2 if they figure out how FBA loads those on it too) but as I do really love SNK from the era I'd buy games I actually do care enough about still as it's right.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:26:26 PM
nerd (0)

(12 12) < Cherub >
Manitoba
The handheld is still never going to be $50ish You'd be incredibly lucky if they ever price-match a Dingoo at 100, given the higher specs. Perhaps a 0-game version? Unlikely as that is.

Bear in mind that the only hackable units seem to be the 337 firmwares (and maybe 357). Units that came with 370 seem to be a revision that has onboard memory now.

"Ninja Masters SD card cracked, was able to properly extract the data in a readable format to the PC"

Where'd this happen?

Edited: 12/24/2012 at 11:27 PM by nerd

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:28:28 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
Saw it on one of those posts in there, someone said they had been able to pull the data off the card and look at it. Extraction is far from practical application of writing data back to a card for stuff to be read though so don't take it as such. It's just a step in a process a lot of them seem to be making mad diggings at to get it open.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:36:27 PM
nerd (0)

(12 12) < Cherub >
Manitoba
The card's been mounted via Autopsy programs and dumped but unlike the inner SD, has been encrypted. None of the data's been pulled yet.

Although some are reading into the configs for SD mounting to try and bypass any security checks. If that's possible it's fully cracked, albeit for only 337 units.

Edited: 12/24/2012 at 11:46 PM by nerd