Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Do you watch youtube playthroughs? Poll

Mar 14 at 7:34:16 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I was thinking about this, since we didn't have Youtube back in the day. We were lucky if we had a skilled friend or an older sibling who was good at the game to show us what to do.

Do you watch many playthroughs nowadays? Or do you prefer to experience the game yourself?

Edited: 03/14/2019 at 07:46 PM by Tulpa

Mar 14 at 7:45:16 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Richardhead (9)
< Kraid Killer >
I'm not a fan. I do like to watch some streamers though. Kinda like the old days. That dude Gloves, he can play some NES.

Mar 14 at 7:50:10 PM
rlh (66)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I wasn't affraid to use a strategt guide as a kid (but with RPGs you practically had to if you wanted to get all armor or max out specialty classes or stuff like that.)

Today, though, I don't like referencing playthrough videos but, instead read walkthroughs like IGN wikis. Honestly, I just hit up what ever Google brings up first. I'm also not really interested in grabbing every potion in every cave or getting each characters "mega" weapon unless it's straight forward, so I only reference these guides when I'm stuck.

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST <-- Buying A Bit of Everything

Mar 14 at 8:23:25 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
I do.

Well... When I answer "yes", it's yes, but "Only if I get stuck. I like to try my best at a level first."

And it's almost exclusively for maze sections. If I find myself going in circles, or have played the level a few times and haven't figured out the path, I say "fuck it" and watch that part in a playthrough.

I used to be too stubborn to look that type of shit up, or even use a game genie. Now, I don't care. I'll look that up in a heartbeat!

I mean, really.... I don't have time to be fucking around trying to solve a maze in an NES game. I probably wouldn't even remember how I got through it anyways. So I just look it up.

I'll give a game a good shot. I mean, I recently did this with Skyblazer. I even mentioned it in a thread.

I played the maze level for a good 20 minutes before I looked it up. 20 minutes isn't a long time, but I sure went in circles for longer than I had to. SO I watched the playthrough video to see how it was done. Then inadvertantly watched the boss fight and saw there was an "easy" way to kill the boss. This happened before I ever even fought him... ssssooo... how could I unsee it? I'm not going to sit there and get my ass kicked dying a whole bunch and be stubborn about killing the stupid fish.

Note: There are some games that are still on my list to legitimately "beat", of which I don't use this tactic (I'm looking at you Duck Tales 2). Some "newer" (to me) games, I don't give a shit and I just want to play the whole thing through. 

I decided a few years ago I no longer need to prove to myself that I'm "good at video games". Evern though I still want to be good, I'm not upset at the games I'm not good at. 

I WANT to be good at every game, but some I've accepted defeat and am humbled by. I'm looking at YOU Abadox, you steaming piece of masterful shit. I want to love you so bad... but you're just so so unforgiving and insanely difficult. 

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 03/14/2019 at 08:29 PM by AirVillain

Mar 14 at 9:09:18 PM
skinnygrinny (60)
(a.k.a. the grinder a.k.a. kobra kai! a.k.a. 42 foot tapewoRm) < Bowser >
Florida
Only for games I don't have time for, and don't care for, during the nes contest here.

If it's a good game I'm not going to watch a play through. Well that's a lie. If it's for the championship I will watch one. Lol.

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Mar 14 at 9:15:30 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (104)
(Douglas Glover) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I'll watch partial sometimes but basically never a full playthrough.

Mar 14 at 9:34:18 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (263)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Tulpa

I was thinking about this, since we didn't have Youtube back in the day. We were lucky if we had a skilled friend or an older sibling who was good at the game to show us what to do.

Do you watch many playthroughs nowadays? Or do you prefer to experience the game yourself?
We had Nintendo Power and bitchin' strategy guides.  WAY better than youtube. 

Mar 14 at 9:35:48 PM
Brock Landers (55)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
If I'm trying to play through the 432nd best SNES game so that I can start my playthrough of the 431st best SNES game? I will not hesitate for one second to use a longplay to help overcome something.  I got other shit to get to.

For example, Wolverine (spoiler alert).  After dying to the 2nd boss twelve billionty times - because they're impossible - I'm going straight to Youtube.  I will spend three nights with that game but I sure as shit won't spent seven nights with it.  Switch games need playing.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VI
SNES Set - 714/723 (Final Fight Guy)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 03/14/2019 at 09:38 PM by Brock Landers

Mar 14 at 9:50:44 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Richardhead (9)
< Kraid Killer >
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

If I'm trying to play through the 432nd best SNES game so that I can start my playthrough of the 431st best SNES game? I will not hesitate for one second to use a longplay to help overcome something.  I got other shit to get to.

For example, Wolverine (spoiler alert).  After dying to the 2nd boss twelve billionty times - because they're impossible - I'm going straight to Youtube.  I will spend three nights with that game but I sure as shit won't spent seven nights with it.  Switch games need playing.

He’s got kids !

Mar 14 at 9:51:10 PM
D~Funk (78)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
I watch Game Grumps but thats aboot it.

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Mar 14 at 10:00:05 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Richardhead (9)
< Kraid Killer >
Originally posted by: D~Funk

I watch Game Grumps but thats aboot it.

You wanna be Canadian too? It’s not a religion so I can’t just convert and say it’s so. 

Mar 14 at 10:01:10 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < El Ripper >
Colorado
My 4 yr old watches people play video games on YouTube all the time

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Now accepting prize donations for the weekly NES contests:
Pm me for details.

Edited: 03/14/2019 at 10:01 PM by SuperJimtendo

Mar 14 at 10:02:34 PM
MrWunderful (287)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
No. If i have the time to sit there and stare at something, Im just going to play.

But I am busy all day at my job too, maybe if I had a job where I just sit at a computer all day.

Mar 14 at 10:35:00 PM
OptOut (8)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < El Ripper >
Taiwan
I watch all sorts of gaming content on YouTube, whether it be news, reviews, critiques, walkthroughs, speedruns, lets plays, comedic stuff, you name it really!

I think the main thrust of this thread is watching playthroughs in conjunction with a game you are playing or intend to play? If so, my first port of call for most games is written walkthroughs on sites like gamefaqs, usually only if I'm stuck. However, there are some games where you start playing and you just have like no idea what to do, or maybe you feel like you're missing something, like you just aren't playing it right, so I will also look some stuff up preemptively to make sure I'm getting the most out of my play experience.

I most certainly WILL watch a youtube playthrough of some games though, when the written guide fails to help me, or when there simply is no written guide to fall back on. It surprises me how many N64 games don't actually have written walkthroughs online, but every N64 game has been played through on YouTube. Also, it is sometimes SO much quicker and easier to watch someone do something like beat a boss or find a hidden path or item, rather than try to figure out what some 12 year old is trying to say in the middle of a 15,000 word wall of text, lol!

So, yeah, it's 2019 and I watch YouTube, lol, who doesn't!  

Mar 14 at 10:42:36 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Richardhead (9)
< Kraid Killer >
I look up manuals on gamesafoot if I don't have the manual...

Mar 14 at 10:45:09 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: OptOut

I watch all sorts of gaming content on YouTube, whether it be news, reviews, critiques, walkthroughs, speedruns, lets plays, comedic stuff, you name it really!

This.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Mar 15 at 12:18:17 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
If I'm stuck on a game, sometimes. Usually I'd show gameplay videos for my customers who want to know what a certain game is like.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Mar 15 at 12:52:02 AM
bootload (7)

< Meka Chicken >
Under the following circumstances:
- I want to know if I should buy a game
- I'm stuck in a Lego game that inevitably has glitched and is not allowing me to pass a level, only to realize this and restart the level
- During GDQ twice a year
- Pat's NES charity marathon
- Angry Video Game Nerd / James And Mike Mondays

Mar 15 at 3:03:02 AM
scaryice (114)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I watch Twitch and Youtube all the time. But, I'll only watch playthoughs of stuff I've already beaten (or have no plans to play).

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (75 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Mar 15 at 6:07:05 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Yes. Mainly to watch games I wouldn't play myself.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Mar 15 at 11:05:49 AM
ZBomber (5)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
I only watch playthroughs if I get really stuck on a section of a game, or if I wanna see a different ending or path from the one I took in my playthrough (did this with Until Dawn and Detroit: Become Human). Walkthroughs are usually my go-to if I get stuck, but sometimes it just helps to see video of someone doing it.

I never watch full playthroughs of games, even if they aren't very high up on my list of things to play. Sometimes I watch speedruns but that's pretty much it.

Mar 15 at 11:10:24 AM
Boosted52405 (478)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
For sure I do, especially when I get stuck or am struggling with a boss strategy or something. Time on this earth is limited, I've always been pro-strategy guides and have 0 issues with pulling up a youtube clip to help advance in a game. I don't have time to muck around like I did in middle school spending an entire weekend aimlessly playing games for pure joy and no life stresses lol.

Mar 15 at 7:14:39 PM
DefaultGen (25)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
No hints. No spoilers. No mames.

Nah, I get frustrated and go to Youtube sometimes, especially when a game sends you way back. Batman on NES is one I remember recently. After climbing that stupid gear tower for the 40th time, I looked up the Joker battle and did save state practice on that mofo before doing it for realsies.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #116: Where Did the Undocumented NWC Come From and Other Listener Questions

Mar 15 at 10:20:42 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
Since I feel I can not trust reviews much anymore, especially from any A to AAA tier gaming site, and even sometimes enough comment by fake owners doing reviews on amazon, gamefaqs, steam and the rest cause you to pause what else can you do? You can see if those comments seem to match up, look for inconsistencies, and more, or you could save some considerable time looking then reading watching like the first 30min to an hour of a game to see how it plays. A nice quiet (no talking or dumb stuff) other than the programmed in sounds copy of the game from title to X point later on. It's really a great way to see if something would annoy you or be worth going in on it. I do it when I"m on the fence or totally confused about a game and it's worth having the extended demo reel type setup there.

Mar 15 at 10:42:27 PM
captmorgandrinker (565)
< Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

No. If i have the time to sit there and stare at something, Im just going to play.

But I am busy all day at my job too, maybe if I had a job where I just sit at a computer all day.

I have a job where I sit at a computer all day, but the last Youtube thing I would pull up would be somebody else playing a video game (unless it's Gloves going through Rollergames, but I think that's blocked at work).

I'm much more interested in Russian dashcam crashes and hockey fights.