Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

fact: you need the super scope and mouse for the full SNES experience even just rentals so you can say you've used them

May 15 at 10:10:39 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada
the Super NES was one of my first game consoles, lots of the main classic titles but I also had the super scope with super scope 6, yoshi's safari and bazooka blitzkrieg, along with the mouse and mario paint. Sure, they weren't compatible with many games, it's the accessories and those one of a kind games that made such great memories.

I can't help but mention the snes classic in this case, because despite all the great games that are included by default, no super scope 6 or mario paint makes it feel incomplete. no super mario all-stars makes the collection pretty barren too.

did anyone else have the super scope or the mouse back in the day? anyone try them as an adult?

.... anyone have a loose super scope for sale in canada?

-------------------------
Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Edited: 05/15/2018 at 11:06 PM by Koopa64

May 15 at 10:16:17 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
The SNES mouse works pretty well for Arkanoid: Doh it again. It makes up for the lack of a Vaus controller.

May 15 at 10:16:37 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
dp.

Edited: 05/15/2018 at 10:18 PM by Tulpa

May 15 at 10:23:23 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
My step brother and I used to play the hell out of Tin Star with the mouse when we were 9

May 15 at 10:46:23 PM
Brock Landers (51)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
I agree

I would also say the SNES mouse is un-fucking-usable nowadays. Thank god for advances in technology.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume IV
SNES Set - 704/723 (Aero 2)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

May 15 at 11:03:10 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Ay Jay Will-Yams) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

I agree

I would also say the SNES mouse is un-fucking-usable nowadays. Thank god for advances in technology.
Hyperkin makes a fine laser mouse with extra long cord. It works great on bed spreads and pants legs!  

I don't mind the super scope, but it can become pretty tiresome standing there holding that bazooka for the couple hours it takes to play a full game of Yoshi's Safari. The 8-bit era lightguns (Nintendo Zapper, Sega Phasor, Atari XE Lightgun) were much more practical in a sense compared to Sega's and Nintendo's rediculous looking offerings for 16-bit gun play. I know they wanted to make guns that looked more like toys, but I can't help but feel rediculous holding that bazooka think over my shoulder aiming at an itty bitty TV screen. I can easily see why Konami developed their own Justifier for the Genesis/SNES ports of Lethal Enforcers rather than use the default 1st party hardware configuration.

And sadly no lightgun games of any sort work on modern HDTVs, AVS, or Super NT.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 05/15/2018 at 11:06 PM by Kosmic StarDust

May 15 at 11:05:36 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada
I always liked yoshi's safari, even if it wasn't that special. It was only years later I realized that was the first game to refer to princess toadstool as "peach". Yes even before Super mario 64.

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

May 15 at 11:08:41 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Koopa64

I always liked yoshi's safari, even if it wasn't that special. It was only years later I realized that was the first game to refer to princess toadstool as "peach". Yes even before Super mario 64.
Haha, nice catch!  

Even in Super Mario RPG, which released AFTER SM64 in the states, referred to her as "Princess Toadstool". I like how the opening of Mario64 introduced her as "Princess Toadstool... Peach!" making it clear to players this was her first name.

What was the first mention of her name being "Peach" instead of "Toadstool" in Japan? Does it have any relation to the common fruit in a Japanese language setting?

Edited: 05/15/2018 at 11:11 PM by Kosmic StarDust

May 15 at 11:12:41 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

What was the first mention of her name being "Peach" instead of "Toadstool" in Japan? Does it have any relation to the common fruit in a Japanese language setting?
AFAIK, she was always Princess Peach in Japan.

May 15 at 11:19:17 PM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States
Super Scope was really cumbersome and you sure look like a dork using it. It lacked a real killer app, most of its titles felt like tech demos. Give me a Justifier any day.

Mouse was a bit better, but support for it was spotty. Some games you would think would work great with the mouse didn't support it, while random titles like on the ball and arkanoid did.

I don't think you are missing out on many great games not having these 🤷‍♂️

May 15 at 11:23:17 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: fox

Super Scope was really cumbersome and you sure look like a dork using it. It lacked a real killer app, most of its titles felt like tech demos. Give me a Justifier any day.

Mouse was a bit better, but support for it was spotty. Some games you would think would work great with the mouse didn't support it, while random titles like on the ball and arkanoid did.

I played Mario and Wario for the first time (despite the fact I have owned it for years) with the Hyperkin mouse on my Super NT a couple weeks back. It is quite a charming little puzzle game with quite a good amount of depth, and although the first couple of stages are boring and a bit too easy, I suggest you play them anyway to learn the mechanics.

I heard wikipedia incorrectly stated that Revolution X on the SNES supports the Super Scope. It does not, but it's listed as a mouse support game instead. I've got to replay it sometime with the mouse and see. Aiming the crosshairs with a Dpad is a PITA.

Edited: 05/15/2018 at 11:25 PM by Kosmic StarDust

May 15 at 11:24:27 PM
Brock Landers (51)
< Master Higgins >
Montana

Metal Combat and Battleclash are woefully underappreciated imo

Writing about every SNES game - Volume IV
SNES Set - 704/723 (Aero 2)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

May 15 at 11:51:32 PM
mikestrife (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
I had the mouse back in the day. I don't really find it essential, but I think it's an important part of a SNES collection for Mario Paint, and it's kinda neat for some of the shooters or sim games.

The Super Scope I never had, but picked it up recently and love it. It's so weird, and Yoshi's Safari is such a fun experience. The other couple of games for it are decent too.

May 15 at 11:53:01 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Krunch (141)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

Haha, nice catch!  

Even in Super Mario RPG, which released AFTER SM64 in the states, referred to her as "Princess Toadstool". I like how the opening of Mario64 introduced her as "Princess Toadstool... Peach!" making it clear to players this was her first name.

"Do I dare to walk alone? Do I dare to eat a Peach?"

eBay - http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nk...

#YKNOTK

May 15 at 11:54:19 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (84)
(Douglas Glover) < Bowser >
Ontario
I played a whole lot of the bug game on Mario Point back in the day. Good times!

I've started writing mini-reviews on games I've completed! Check my Backloggery below!

May 15 at 11:59:15 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Yoshi's Safari is a great game, but it's very tiring as an adult to stand there and finish it to completion, as there are 12 stages total spread across two maps (6 per map). I think next time I play I'll use "hard mode" so it's not a cake walk.

Battle Clash and Metal Combat I found quite difficult however.

My Super Scope came without the eyepiece, but I created a unique substitute by drilling a 1/8" hole into a 20oz soda bottle cap. The bottle cap will screw on right and stay put, right where the old rubber grommet used to be. Viewing the scope with my right eye's restricted view and the whole screen with my left kind of works.

May 16 at 12:01:43 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Krunch

Haha, nice catch!  

"Do I dare to walk alone? Do I dare to eat a Peach?"
In Super Paper Mario, where Peach sleeps in the stairway to heaven stage, you can feed her different colored fruit. One of them gives her a mustache, another turns her into a Peach. I had fun trying all the different combos.

May 16 at 12:20:10 AM
MrWunderful (275)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
The most use I got out of my mario paint was using the mouse pad as a rolling tray for blunts.

May 16 at 12:58:27 AM
DefaultGen (22)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Lolo Lord >
United States
And the Sega Activator is the proper way to play Street Fighter II.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #93:
Did Johnny buy a $100 repro of Mega Man X?

May 16 at 2:34:01 AM
scaryice (106)
(scary ice) < Ridley Wrangler >
Illinois

Even in Super Mario RPG, which released AFTER SM64 in the states, referred to her as "Princess Toadstool".

That would be false:

Super Mario RPG - May 1996
Super Mario 64 - Sept 1996

Good Famicom games NA auction (ends 5/27):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

PS1/PS2 flat rate box NA auctions (ends 5/27):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 16 at 2:54:58 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

This phrase is cringy to me. Please use that sparingly from now on. Just saying

NES  636 (330 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158/163(incl. Starfox Guard & Bayonetta 1)
SNES 306
N64  167
Original Gameboy 48

May 16 at 8:26:48 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (26)
(Matt ) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
I can't speak for the mouse as I am not as familiar with it, but I can the Super Scope. I absolutely love Yoshi's Safari, I like the idea of a first person on rails shooter that utilizes the Super Scope and I feel like they did a very good job. However, I wouldn't necessarily say they are necessary. There are plenty of good games without the inclusion of the Super Scope. I personally just got a Super Scope about a year ago because it was cheap. Beforehand, I didn't feel like I was missing out and I still don't feel that way not having a good chunk of the super scope games. I guess I also fail to see what was so special about it, it was a big bulky light gun.

A bug in your code isn't necessarily a bug, but rather it is an unintended feature.

Edited: 05/16/2018 at 08:27 AM by SNESNESCUBE64

May 16 at 8:58:19 AM
beardcore84 (6)
(Cody ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Nebraska
I love the game X-Zone. It's a lot of fun, don't sleep on it!

Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom

May 16 at 9:15:17 AM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States

My Super Scope came without the eyepiece, but I created a unique substitute by drilling a 1/8" hole into a 20oz soda bottle cap. The bottle cap will screw on right and stay put, right where the old rubber grommet used to be. Viewing the scope with my right eye's restricted view and the whole screen with my left kind of works.
That sounds like a really awesome DIY scope.

I remember being excited seeing Mario and Wario in Nintendo Power only for it never to come out.  I played a rom years later and was like, yeah I can see why Big N didn't want to give this a push.  Maybe I'll try to revisit it if you say it picks up later.

I played a lot of light gun shooters religiously.  Lethal Enforcers and Point Blank were my jams.  None of the Scope's otherings really grabbed me the same way.  Maybe it is because it limited co-op/competitive play to one gun.

Battle Clash was alrite.  Kind of like Punch Out but with a bunch of ethnic stereotypes except you throw missles instead of punches.  And of course the lone female pilots a pink mech with boobs.  I never got around to Metal Combat, mostly because I didn't realize it was a sequel to Battleclash.  Why the name change?  Not like the story was that great in Battleclash that we were suppose to know who Falcone was or remember why he wanted Revenge.  Yoshi's Safari was just an average shooter that uses Mario assets.  Seemed like one and done type of games, you rent it for the weekend, beat it, never think about it again.

Tin Star doesn't see much love.  Pretty charming artstyle and music, and makes good use of the scope/mouse.  Plus it is super cheap.

May 16 at 10:41:36 AM
captmorgandrinker (555)
(Vas ) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: quest4nes

This phrase is cringy to me. Please use that sparingly from now on. Just saying

You should know better than to tell the internet what makes you cringe.

I still have my Super Scope from back in the day, I need to try it out with Lamborghini American Challenge.