Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA beat every N64 game in a year ? (2018) 197/303 Complete: 65.02%

Jul 05 at 2:28:22 PM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: OptOut

Hey now, what's this here then? A fabled, non-beaten 4 pointer? Don't mind if I do!  
Go for it! My system doesnt play PAL games (everdrive) so you take on this adventure. Tell me if it;s any good. I might pick on those PAL only on a later day

Jul 05 at 8:16:34 PM
OptOut (4)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Meka Chicken >
Taiwan
Originally posted by: MeridianPrime

Hey now, what's this here then? A fabled, non-beaten 4 pointer? Don't mind if I do!  
Go for it! My system doesnt play PAL games (everdrive) so you take on this adventure. Tell me if it;s any good. I might pick on those PAL only on a later day

You can count on me, dude!  

I also have Premier Manager 64, F1 World Grand Prix II and Taz Express, so I guess it's up to me to beat these too... At least Taz express sounds fun, lol!  

Edit: Oh and I have Rakuga Kids too!

Edited: 07/05/2018 at 08:56 PM by OptOut

Jul 07 at 5:49:11 AM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Little Mac >

You can count on me, dude!   I also have Premier Manager 64, F1 World Grand Prix II and Taz Express, so I guess it's up to me to beat these too... At least Taz express sounds fun, lol!   Edit: Oh and I have Rakuga Kids too!
Those are amazing games! Taz Express was one I looked forward to, but the screen wouldn't get the signal   So I stick to NTSC for now!
But please tell me about them when you are done!

Jul 09 at 4:54:28 AM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Little Mac >
Banjo Tooie completed! a 26 hours well spent!
One of the best games I have played on the console!

Jul 11 at 2:43:49 AM
OptOut (4)
Taiwan

Good game, for sure, I like it a lot. But, personally, I much prefer the first one... It feels more tightly focused, and I usually feel a little worn out after playing Banjo Tooie for long stretches.

Speaking of feeling worn out, I've been a little quite on the boards recently because I have been attempting to complete the main rescue mission mode of Tetrisphere. Technically, you may say I have already beaten it. You get one credits sequence for beating Episode 5 Level 10 and then another for beating Episode 8 Level 10. However, there are two further episodes consisting of 10 levels each, which the game calls bonus episodes. However, there is not much differentiating these two from the previous episodes, other than difficulty, so i woulld consider them necessary to beat in order to call the game beaten.

Anyway, I have spent tens of hours over the last week and a half, and I have finally made my way to Episode 10 Level 10. However, after probably hundreds of attempts, losing hours of time and full nights of sleep, I feel I must step away from this challenge to regroup. I am literally seeing tetrisphere blocks in my sleep/waking state, lol! If anyone has actually beaten the final level, and has any advice to power through it, please share with me!

As it is, I'm putting this game to one side, beaten or not, and I'm gonna try to play something else to save my sanity, lol!

Jul 11 at 3:39:02 AM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Little Mac >

Good game, for sure, I like it a lot. But, personally, I much prefer the first one... It feels more tightly focused, and I usually feel a little worn out after playing Banjo Tooie for long stretches.

Speaking of feeling worn out, I've been a little quite on the boards recently because I have been attempting to complete the main rescue mission mode of Tetrisphere. Technically, you may say I have already beaten it. You get one credits sequence for beating Episode 5 Level 10 and then another for beating Episode 8 Level 10. However, there are two further episodes consisting of 10 levels each, which the game calls bonus episodes. However, there is not much differentiating these two from the previous episodes, other than difficulty, so i woulld consider them necessary to beat in order to call the game beaten.

Anyway, I have spent tens of hours over the last week and a half, and I have finally made my way to Episode 10 Level 10. However, after probably hundreds of attempts, losing hours of time and full nights of sleep, I feel I must step away from this challenge to regroup. I am literally seeing tetrisphere blocks in my sleep/waking state, lol! If anyone has actually beaten the final level, and has any advice to power through it, please share with me!

As it is, I'm putting this game to one side, beaten or not, and I'm gonna try to play something else to save my sanity, lol!

I for one am the WR holder of Puzzle mode in Tetrisphere... blindfolded. So I should know a thing or two about how to beat E10:10. However it has been a while since I actually played rescue and know things get really tough at that stage.

My advice is to make short combo's. Reason is that during a combo or when removing is still in session the timer stops. If your combo is less than 20 blocks, you will get a lot of power blocks. This is your key. Spam sub20block combos and you will nearly always have a power block ready. These give you additional time, they make their combo slow, thus timer freeze and they are easy to move around in time of need.
Further more, I advice you to train making your X count high and work your way up the weapon system all the way to the atom (one to last weapon). It clears a full layer of blocks, which after like 2/3 uses pretty much gives you the core and few troubles to deal with.
Meanwhile never stop just making a small combo as they spam powerblocks.

Combos
Short but plenty to make powerblocks appear. Start a combo with powerblocks, they make the timer frozen. Meanwhile, gather a few pieces together and get rid of them. Rise and repeat.

Method Tip
Never dig in 1 place, if the crater gets too deep, you can't move around easy and options are limited. Just works your way around the sphere and keep things equal. Sure it is slower but it is less risky.

Weapon Tip
Work your way to the atom and insta use it as it may change to the next weapon very quick and that one is useless.

For a change of pace, you might try puzzle mode.

Hard to say if you got it beaten though. I'd say you did since you've got Credits, but the game auto continues. Not that you have to select another difficulty or mode. It's like getting credits after the first final boss fight and after the credits you get to fight him again in his second form. I would not call it beaten, even I got the credits. A factor of aspects are needed to be evaluated.

On this website there is a rule set
https://speedrun.com/Tetrisphere#...

Rules on Rescue
Starts when screen transits from the mode selection to the first level. 
Ends when you lose control after final level is done (i.e. when the shadow disappears on 10-10). 

Skipping the ending after completing 5-10 and 8-10 is not allowed

Yes I am the moderater on that page, but I didn't make the rules. Hench you don't see me on the list ^_^

Jul 11 at 6:23:40 AM
OptOut (4)
Taiwan
Holy moly, I had no idea I was hanging out all this time with an outright Tetrisphere God and Champion! This is amazing, I must seem totally pathetic compared to you, lol!

Actually, I have really enjoyed playing this game a lot, I would definitely put it up there as a great puzzle game. Certainly there isn't much in that genre to compare on the N64. Even failing on the final level has been a fun experience, just doing my best and playing the game is fun even when I don't win.

I think my main problem is I get greedy and just start digging down deep as soon as I can, and so I usually get a little window into the core exposed, but I can't do much more at that point. I know I should work my way around the outer edge and try to peel away layers, but I tend to run out of matches if I don't start digging down as well... Also, I have only ever managed to upgrade my item to the claw thingy, never reached the atom yet. I tend to use my weapon early as a safety net if I run out of matches, to avoid losing a life. I guess I'm too slow right now!

The reason this level is so hard is because you have 4 pieces to match instead of 3, so it is much more frequent you'll get an odd piece stuck on it's own somewhere, or simply run out of obvious matches. I have actually seen the core most of my attempts, and a few attempts I could SWEAR the hole was big enough and unobstructed, but for whatever reason it wasn't good enough to win.

Anyway, I will put my tetrisphere on hold for now, and them come back to it again with your advice after I've taken a break with a few different games! Cheers Meridian!

Jul 12 at 3:55:16 AM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Little Mac >
While OptOut is digging in Tetris blocks, I was hunting in the shadows.

Shadowman - Completed!

Jul 12 at 9:12:25 AM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Little Mac >
Sin & Punishment Completed.

Oh wait.. it's not on the list, but I love this game!
Nice to do it with a friend, one moves the other shoots.

Jul 12 at 10:26:57 AM
OptOut (4)
Taiwan

While OptOut is digging in Tetris blocks, I was hunting in the shadows.

Shadowman - Completed!

Oh Shadowman, I hear that's a really good game! I haven't gotten round to it, but I look forward to playing it myself at some point... Perhaps I will save it for the 2019 contest!

As for now, well I am giving Airboarder 64 a go! It is not a great game, but actually I am pleasantly surprised so far, as I was expecting it to be terrible! Should have a nice juicy 4 pointer knocked off the list relatively soon, fingers crossed!  

Jul 12 at 10:30:32 AM
OptOut (4)
Taiwan

Did you play on a translated ROM or the original Japanese? I've got this game, but I haven't been able to get very far because I don't exactly know what I'm doing... For one thing, I don't know how to save, every time I start the game it starts again from the beginning.

It seems really fun and cinematic tho, I really want to get more into if I can figure out how to play!

Jul 12 at 11:04:27 AM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York

Those are amazing games! Taz Express was one I looked forward to, but the screen wouldn't get the signal   So I stick to NTSC for now!

MeridianPrime, do you have an EverDrive? I've found ROMs that work on my NTSC system for Taz Express, Airboarder 64, Centre Court Tennis, etc., so they're definitely out there. (Taz Express is a weird one, since you have to turn the sound on manually in the menu for some reason...)

Edited: 07/12/2018 at 11:04 AM by bronzeshield

Jul 12 at 7:17:49 PM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Little Mac >
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness

Completed!

Here a clip from my stream... *NOT FOR THE FAINTHEARTED*
https:// clips.twitch.tv/KathishTemperedKangarooEagleEye?tt_medium=clips_api&tt_content=url

Edited: 07/12/2018 at 07:23 PM by MeridianPrime

Jul 12 at 7:22:59 PM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: bronzeshield

MeridianPrime, do you have an EverDrive? I've found ROMs that work on my NTSC system for Taz Express, Airboarder 64, Centre Court Tennis, etc., so they're definitely out there. (Taz Express is a weird one, since you have to turn the sound on manually in the menu for some reason...)
Yes, I have the ROMs on my EverDrive, Hooked up the system to my to HDMI Converter, then to my monitor.
I think the problem is my signal converter from component (RGB?) to HDMI. Actually should give it a test run straight to my CRT. But since I need to capture it and stream, the converter has to stay for now.

Jul 12 at 7:26:11 PM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Little Mac >

Did you play on a translated ROM or the original Japanese? I've got this game, but I haven't been able to get very far because I don't exactly know what I'm doing... For one thing, I don't know how to save, every time I start the game it starts again from the beginning. It seems really fun and cinematic tho, I really want to get more into if I can figure out how to play!

On the WiiVC there is a fully translated version of the game. That is why I know about it. A friend (WMJSpeedruns on speedrun website) used to play this on (J) and I could join in and coop. So we played this game as my subscriber count was met. We used to have the WR on it, but it got beat over the years.

Jul 12 at 8:09:13 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kyle ) < Ridley Wrangler >
New Jersey
S.C.A.R.S is done.
Probably the single most frustrating racing game Ive played yet. The AI is just OP no matter how you slice it even in novice. If you have weapons turned on they spam the hell out of them, if you turn them of for a straight racing game then they drive perfectly. They can corner perfectly with the car that has the worst handling and out run every other car when theres has the lowest speed/accel stat.

Jul 13 at 1:31:28 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
New Jersey
After finishing scars last night i started San Fransisco Rush Extreme Racing, and finished it today. Was pretty hard just much more fair than scars.

Jul 15 at 5:15:50 PM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: leatherrebel5150

After finishing scars last night i started San Fransisco Rush Extreme Racing, and finished it today. Was pretty hard just much more fair than scars.

I find them both the top 2 worse racing games on the N64.
Scars because of the insane OP catchup mechanism, that even a perfect driver (not like WR pace) can still be pushed aside.
And Rush was just insane with some tracks being litterally unbeatable due to the time set and extreme crash sensitivity. I finsihed it with deaths on so I can make the CPU kill themselves and get more points by just surviving.

Jul 16 at 8:47:16 AM
OptOut (4)
Taiwan

Scars because of the insane OP catchup mechanism, that even a perfect driver (not like WR pace) can still be pushed aside.
And Rush was just insane with some tracks being litterally unbeatable due to the time set and extreme crash sensitivity. I finsihed it with deaths on so I can make the CPU kill themselves and get more points by just surviving.

Sounds lame, so many bad racing games on the N64... Anyone here play V rally 99 edition? OMG that has GOT to be my pick for worst racing game on the system. Everything you've said about Rush and SCARS but worse, because its not just crashing its like just staying on the damn track!

The handling is completely out of whack and the CPU cars are complete monsters, tearing absolute ass while you're barely in control at all. I would say that Carmagedon is a better game, because it may be broken as fuck, but at least you CAN make your own fun and the other racers don't actually pose a threat.

Weird thing is, I remember playing on my cousin's copy of V Rally with one of those cheap N64 steering wheels back in the day, and it actually worked! Like using the wheel I WAS in control and I even swear I was winning whole championships with relative ease. I don't own an N64 wheel, so I can't test it like that again, but with the regular controller, just forget it...

Damn, I'm in a bad mood talking about that game now, lol!  

Jul 16 at 10:56:32 AM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
New Jersey

Sounds lame, so many bad racing games on the N64... Anyone here play V rally 99 edition? OMG that has GOT to be my pick for worst racing game on the system. Everything you've said about Rush and SCARS but worse, because its not just crashing its like just staying on the damn track! The handling is completely out of whack and the CPU cars are complete monsters, tearing absolute ass while you're barely in control at all. I would say that Carmagedon is a better game, because it may be broken as fuck, but at least you CAN make your own fun and the other racers don't actually pose a threat. Weird thing is, I remember playing on my cousin's copy of V Rally with one of those cheap N64 steering wheels back in the day, and it actually worked! Like using the wheel I WAS in control and I even swear I was winning whole championships with relative ease. I don't own an N64 wheel, so I can't test it like that again, but with the regular controller, just forget it... Damn, I'm in a bad mood talking about that game now, lol!  
I have couple N64 wheels I'll have to try it while I get a chance. I started playing World Driver Championship so maybe after I'm done with that I'll try the wheel. I'm not even trying to play racing games on purpose I'm just picking random games out of the pile and seeing if they are marked as beat yet.

One thing Im having a problem with is that some of these games are soooo dark. Like too dark to see what I'm doing or where Im going even with contrast turned all the way up.  I'm not sure if its my tv, AV switchbox, or the games really were this dark back in the day and Im just not remembering it.

Jul 16 at 11:04:52 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (86)
(Diddles Glovity) < Bowser >
Ontario

Sounds lame, so many bad racing games on the N64... Anyone here play V rally 99 edition? OMG that has GOT to be my pick for worst racing game on the system. Everything you've said about Rush and SCARS but worse, because its not just crashing its like just staying on the damn track! The handling is completely out of whack and the CPU cars are complete monsters, tearing absolute ass while you're barely in control at all. I would say that Carmagedon is a better game, because it may be broken as fuck, but at least you CAN make your own fun and the other racers don't actually pose a threat. Weird thing is, I remember playing on my cousin's copy of V Rally with one of those cheap N64 steering wheels back in the day, and it actually worked! Like using the wheel I WAS in control and I even swear I was winning whole championships with relative ease. I don't own an N64 wheel, so I can't test it like that again, but with the regular controller, just forget it... Damn, I'm in a bad mood talking about that game now, lol!  
I have couple N64 wheels I'll have to try it while I get a chance. I started playing World Driver Championship so maybe after I'm done with that I'll try the wheel. I'm not even trying to play racing games on purpose I'm just picking random games out of the pile and seeing if they are marked as beat yet.

One thing Im having a problem with is that some of these games are soooo dark. Like too dark to see what I'm doing or where Im going even with contrast turned all the way up.  I'm not sure if its my tv, AV switchbox, or the games really were this dark back in the day and Im just not remembering it.

I was playing Extreme G not too long ago and same deal - really hard to see what's going on.

-------------------------
gamevaluenow
Get the value of your games at gamevaluenow.com
Developer

Jul 16 at 11:48:55 AM
OptOut (4)
Taiwan
Ahem... Yeah sure, like brightness and blurry or something...

**Goes back to playing ULTRA HDMI modded N64 with super crisp colours, contrast and gamma boost**

Jul 16 at 2:21:34 PM
erac (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
I don't think it's the games. Mine were quite clear on both composite and S-video.

Jul 17 at 2:33:01 AM
OptOut (4)
Taiwan
Ladies and gentlemen! Air boarder 64, the penultimate unbeaten N64 game, has been defeated! Very happy to bring this joyous news to you all!  

It is very hard to summarise my thoughts on this game, because I actually quite like it in it's own way. It is certainly not without charm, it actually looks pretty good in that early N64 sort of way (think pilotwings 64) and it does have a lot of correct pieces put together roughly in the right order. Unfortunately, none of this quite clicks into a robust, full game experience.

Main problem with this game, I guess, is it is very shallow. The main point of the game is to perform tricks and score points to reach an arbitrary score within the time limit. However, as soon as you work out how to string combos together (which admittedly took me a while because the game doesn't explain itself very well), you can simply spam the same move over and over to easily score the A ranks necessary for progression.

I could have pushed harder, and tried to get S ranks, but doing so doesn't feel rewarding when all you are doing is spamming like 2 moves. It feels like a real missed opportunity, if they had just tweaked the scoring system and altered the pace and progression system, this could turn from an absolutely mediocre title into at least a decent one.

Ultimately, I did have fun in my time with the game, but I feel like I could have had so much more. In fact, I would still recommend playing this game, to see the lost potential for yourself, and appreciate the good in here, but an hour or two playing would probably be enough to get the gist.

Jul 17 at 4:40:31 AM
OptOut (4)
Taiwan
Wow, ok, looks like it's a 2 for 1 on PAL pseudo-exclusives today! Just spent about half an hour or so playing Rakuga Kids, and played through the story mode on standard difficulty. I'm gonna call that one beat too!