< Meka Chicken >
California

Edited: 01/07/2018 at 12:05 PM by aguy

Jan 07 at 12:06:25 PM
SUBSCRIBER
zeppelin03 (42)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Yes! Started with the preshow. It was ridiculous. Really enjoyed that.

This is going to be a rough week between work and speed runs.

Edited: 01/07/2018 at 12:17 PM by zeppelin03

Jan 07 at 12:55:06 PM
N64 Gamer (17)
< El Ripper >
Other
It's strange how restricted AGDQ has become over the years. I remember in the early years where it was just a bunch of tight-knitted runners in a small room, it was all good fun and if somebody accidentally said a swear word in the heat of the moment while playing a game, they had a "swear-jar" that you had to put money into. Just in general light-hearted humor.

Now we've gotten to the point where a slip up swear word in the heat of the moment can result in you getting banned from the event and not invited back again in the future. And then the chat seems to apparently be in "sub-mode" only for whatever reason. And apparently if you post specific emotes like the "hahAA" twitch emote, you get banned as well.

I don't follow twitch culture or the AGDQ much anymore so I feel kinda indifferent about these changes but I do prefer their older events of the past. I'm not sure what the point of banning people over posting a twitch emote is going to prove.

-------------------------
My WTB thread
Buying Zelda CIB NES/SNES/N64 games in mint conditions! (Both NTSC and PAL)

Also looking for Phantom Hourglass NFR Demo (PAL) and Twilight Princess NFR Demo (PAL)

Jan 07 at 1:08:19 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Love AGDQ. Among other things I'm looking forward to the DKC2, Mega Man X and Batman races.

World Polybius champion.

Jan 07 at 1:16:11 PM
empire (56)
(Matt ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: N64 Gamer

It's strange how restricted AGDQ has become over the years. I remember in the early years where it was just a bunch of tight-knitted runners in a small room, it was all good fun and if somebody accidentally said a swear word in the heat of the moment while playing a game, they had a "swear-jar" that you had to put money into. Just in general light-hearted humor.

Now we've gotten to the point where a slip up swear word in the heat of the moment can result in you getting banned from the event and not invited back again in the future. And then the chat seems to apparently be in "sub-mode" only for whatever reason. And apparently if you post specific emotes like the "hahAA" twitch emote, you get banned as well.

I don't follow twitch culture or the AGDQ much anymore so I feel kinda indifferent about these changes but I do prefer their older events of the past. I'm not sure what the point of banning people over posting a twitch emote is going to prove.

I absolutely agree with this. Its lost a lot of its charm the past few years. A lot of the more colorful and actually entertaining runners are gone, and the whole event feels very cold.

SW-6786-5095-2210 -- "dude had a canoe and he doesn't anymore...don't see what the big deal is"

Jan 07 at 2:19:27 PM
SUBSCRIBER
aguy (30)
< Meka Chicken >
California
The more mainstream something becomes, the cleaner and it gets. When they started, they were pulling $20-40K and it wasn't taken super seriously. Now they're doing over $2M and when you are pulling in that kind of money, you get outside pressure to keep it clean and unoffensive to maximize exposure. I still like to hear the mechanics of the games by the poeple that know them the best, and all the music played between runs.

Jan 07 at 2:40:20 PM
empire (56)
(Matt ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Well when you get banned for making Owen Wilson jokes, you know things aren't very fun anymore  

SW-6786-5095-2210 -- "dude had a canoe and he doesn't anymore...don't see what the big deal is"

Jan 07 at 2:46:17 PM
Bert (53)
(The Nert) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I agree, it was better before. Still a fun event but it's definitely lost some charm. I remember Werster had people donating to his swear jar to let him have a curse here or there, since his streams are 90% cursing  

Definitely will be tuning in when I get a chance

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Edited: 01/07/2018 at 02:47 PM by Bert

Jan 07 at 3:03:13 PM
SUBSCRIBER
aguy (30)
< Meka Chicken >
California
I'm looking forward to...

Skyrim
Yooka Laylee
Contra block
Mega Man block (of course)
Dragon Warrior
Super Mario Land 2
LoZ nes race

Jan 07 at 5:04:50 PM
Bert (53)
(The Nert) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Haven't even looked at the schedule yet  

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jan 07 at 6:54:11 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Cannot wait to binge watch these on youtube in a few days.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Jan 07 at 6:59:40 PM
Trevor (12)

< Meka Chicken >
United States
Only thing I care about is MGS3 EE. AGDQ gets worse every year. Don't know most of these runners or games.

Jan 07 at 7:05:06 PM
empire (56)
(Matt ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
I almost died when I saw the fat dude wearing a dress playing Infamous.

Jan 07 at 8:40:59 PM
SUBSCRIBER
aguy (30)
< Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: Trevor

Only thing I care about is MGS3 EE. AGDQ gets worse every year. Don't know most of these runners or games.

I don't really follow speed running outside of GDQ's so unless a runner has performed in a previous year, I wouldn't know who they are. As for the games, they can't just run the same games every year and they have A LOT of time to fill, so there's bound to be some filler. Plus a lot of newer indie games are platformers and/or not too long or complex. This lends themselves to be ran easily.

Jan 08 at 4:57:13 PM
Allegro (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
Originally posted by: N64 Gamer

GDQ sold its soul to corporate sponsors (just like high level Smash Bros) and the founder took the money and ran. Combine this with the fact the Prevent Cancer Foundation is sloppy (at best) with its money and you've got nothing but a huge scam from top to bottom.

Jan 08 at 5:16:10 PM
Daniel_Doyce (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
They seem intent on sucking more fun out of the event year after year, plus the people running the thing seem like humorless SJW types.

It would be interesting if they made some deeper cuts into the retro library or showcased some more obscure consoles instead of all those interchangeable PC games.

Jan 08 at 6:49:56 PM
Space Jockey (132)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Never actually got to watch a live stream, always missed them. Glad to be a part of it now.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Jan 08 at 10:59:52 PM
scaryice (104)
(scary ice) < Ridley Wrangler >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Allegro

GDQ sold its soul to corporate sponsors (just like high level Smash Bros) and the founder took the money and ran. Combine this with the fact the Prevent Cancer Foundation is sloppy (at best) with its money and you've got nothing but a huge scam from top to bottom.

It's crazy that people could believe conspiracy theories about a charity speedrun event, but there you go.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the event like always.

Jan 08 at 11:42:19 PM
Allegro (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
South Carolina
Originally posted by: scaryice

Originally posted by: Allegro

It's crazy that people could believe conspiracy theories about a charity speedrun event, but there you go.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the event like always.
Like any non-profit, Prevent Cancer Foundation's expenditures are public information, sorry that I don't feel like money that goes to them is going to cancer research and treatments. Not sure how being skeptical of a not for profit is a conspiracy theory.

Jan 09 at 12:00:50 AM
bootload (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Does anyone know how I can go back and watch some I missed from today?
- Contra
- Contra III
- Mega Man X
- Mega Man X4

Jan 09 at 1:12:01 AM
SUBSCRIBER
aguy (30)
< Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: bootload

Does anyone know how I can go back and watch some I missed from today?
- Contra
- Contra III
- Mega Man X
- Mega Man X4

After a couple day, Games Done Quick's YouTube channel will have the official streams uploaded but until then, you should just be able to search "agdq2018 *game title*" and find what you want.

Jan 10 at 1:01:38 AM
bootload (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Why was everything pushed back a block? I just rushed home to see the Silent Hill run but now it's starting an hour later, I can't watch it that late.

Jan 10 at 1:07:19 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
The 9 minute Contra co-op run was unbelievable.

World Polybius champion.

Jan 10 at 2:10:00 PM
DefaultGen (21)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Lolo Lord >
United States
This Dragon Warrior run is crazy. Beating Dragon Warrior in under a half hour. I wouldn't have thought it was possible (without TAS or something).

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #81: 2017 in Review / 
Episode #82: Building a Retro Gaming Convention

Jan 11 at 1:05:00 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

This Dragon Warrior run is crazy. Beating Dragon Warrior in under a half hour. I wouldn't have thought it was possible (without TAS or something).

The Metroid run was also pretty crazy. Beating the game in under half an hour with almost no power ups.

I was disappointed that Superman 64 was being played on easy mode. Even if it takes longer, the runner should have flown through all those rings. That's the most infamous thing about the game and what everyone remembers.

World Polybius champion.