Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Holy crap. Analogue Super NT!!!! Preorder up now!

Nov 03 at 3:25:04 AM
CZroe (26)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: avatar!

I am way more excited about this than the AVS  
Don't get me wrong, the AVS is a great system, but there was always the original Analogue, which was just too expensive for most (although it did sell out, then they made a slightly cheaper and smaller system). Now, there are a number of HDMI Nes systems, although I am very happy with the AVS. But, the SNES library... well, that's what I consider the first golden age of gaming. Some truly fabulous games, with fabulous music and graphics, and now fabulous hacks!! I recall mentioning in some thread, months ago, that I would love to see a similar SNES system, and of course some people said it wouldn't happen (never understood why people like to say things such as "it will never happen" when there's a clear precedence set!) Anyway, this is going to be great, and Analgoue is going to make a killing off this! Win for us, win for Analogue (and Analogue, here's to hoping you're working on the Analogue 64  
Well, anyone saying that within the last 10 months just wasn't aware of Jonathan Donal (jwdonal) and his VeriSNES.

Nov 03 at 9:22:09 AM
SUBSCRIBER
darkchylde28 (8)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: MrWunderful
Originally posted by: PinkNeonBowser

Getting a bit snobby here. These FPGA solutions offer 99 percent of the real experience with 10 times the convenience. Not every one has the room for an extra crt setup with 4+ old game systems hooked up. I love having an actual system on a good crt but these systems offer much better video and lag free options for a ton of systems that is nearly 100% accurate. The most you could say is the audio is not perfect but it's pretty close. You really think jailbreaking a firmware in any way lessens the ease of use of these systems??
I understand Not everyone has the space, I was explaining that that is my preference so I get why people want “original hardware”.  I literally do everything the most difficult way so I can use original hardware.  I also realize that the way I choose to do things is very niche, and most will choose not to do it that way (hence the allure of an fpga like the super NT).   So not sure where you are getting snobby from. My argument in this case, is people say they want it for the “original hardware nostalgia” then play a genesis game with an SNES controller where they don’t have to swap cartridges. 

I suppose my idea of playing on original hardware is different than everyone elses, but Im a purist and that is OK. 

Yeah, I'm not seeing that as snobby either, PNB, just a thoughtful explanation as to why you think the FPGA solution is the better one.  You're not picking at anyone for their choice of going with a CRT, nor saying how absolutely awful the CRT graphics supposedly are, just that the FPGA versions on a HD screen look better--which is true to most folks, even a lot who prefer the look of stuff on CRTs.

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Nov 03 at 9:27:55 AM
PinkNeonBowser (0)

(Todd Harris) < Cherub >
United States

Yeah, I'm not seeing that as snobby either, PNB, just a thoughtful explanation as to why you think the FPGA solution is the better one.  You're not picking at anyone for their choice of going with a CRT, nor saying how absolutely awful the CRT graphics supposedly are, just that the FPGA versions on a HD screen look better--which is true to most folks, even a lot who prefer the look of stuff on CRTs.
 The way he said "people just need to admit they want a new shiny thing" came off as snobby. Dismissive. 

Edited: 11/03/2017 at 09:33 AM by PinkNeonBowser

Nov 03 at 9:39:09 AM
SUBSCRIBER
darkchylde28 (8)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Getting a bit snobby here. These FPGA solutions offer 99 percent of the real experience with 10 times the convenience. Not every one has the room for an extra crt setup with 4+ old game systems hooked up. I love having an actual system on a good crt but these systems offer much better video and lag free options for a ton of systems that is nearly 100% accurate. The most you could say is the audio is not perfect but it's pretty close. You really think jailbreaking a firmware in any way lessens the ease of use of these systems??
I understand Not everyone has the space, I was explaining that that is my preference so I get why people want “original hardware”.  I literally do everything the most difficult way so I can use original hardware.  I also realize that the way I choose to do things is very niche, and most will choose not to do it that way (hence the allure of an fpga like the super NT).   So not sure where you are getting snobby from. My argument in this case, is people say they want it for the “original hardware nostalgia” then play a genesis game with an SNES controller where they don’t have to swap cartridges. 

I suppose my idea of playing on original hardware is different than everyone elses, but Im a purist and that is OK. 
 The way he said "people just need to admit they want a new shiny thing" came off as snobby. Hes not working with a greater sense of nostalgia than anyone else, these are amazing pieces of electronics.

Ah, it appears I misunderstood your post, believing you were stating ahead of time that you were about to be snobby.  Yes, I can see how MrWunderful's kind of backhanded statement seemed snobby.  I just about replied to it myself yesterday but decided to just throw my hands up and walk away instead.  The flip flopping of "I don't understand" followed by a pretty thorough explanation then more "I don't understand" and trashing of the opposing opinions (HD/FPGA vs CRT/stock) is kind of hypocritical in itself.  There's a line between explaining ones' preference and crapping on the other guy's lawn.

Nostalgia is affection for the past, not necessarily a deep desire to relive it 1:1.  The HD/FPGA and CRT/stock routes can both equally fulfill folks' nostalgic needs.  The possibility of a jailbreak for the SuperNT just means that there's the potential for more nostalgia with the same machine versus half a dozen additional pieces of hardware.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Nov 03 at 10:23:43 AM
MrWunderful (261)
(AKA MrWarmonger ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

The way he said "people just need to admit they want a new shiny thing" came off as snobby. Dismissive. 

Please go back and read my post, never did I state “people need” to admit they want the shiny new thing-that would be snobby. 

I stated, “ it would be better if” followed by “thats just my opinion”. You are reading into it too much. 

I am entitled to my opinion, and the whole reason I even stated it was because another member came in saying people should get rid of everything they have in favor of the Super NT, which is a ridiculous statement. Thats where all this started. I will defend using original hardware, on PVMs, because it is something that I prefer. Yea there may be something “easier” which is awesome for people that want that route. But easier isn’t always better. Just my opinion. 

Edited: 11/03/2017 at 10:30 AM by MrWunderful

Nov 07 at 1:20:03 AM
TuSecsy (14)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Originally posted by: Kevtris

Originally posted by: Ichinisan

... My argument in this case, is people say they want it for the “original hardware nostalgia” then play a genesis game with an SNES controller where they don’t have to swap cartridges. 

Heck after reading all this I might even pick up a super NT just to put it out on my computer in the garage so I can play something when my buddies come over instead of going in the game room. They want to play my neo geo MVS and I won’t let them touch it, so if A jailbreak does come out for this that might be the surrogate that I let them play with.
Kevtris released open designs for the Analog Nt mini cartridge and controller adapters so anyone can order them from a custom manufacturer like OSH Park. He expressed disappointment that few people were doing that for Nt mini. I hope he makes them for Super Nt, because I certainly plan to make the adapters.

Not sure where you got that from.  I didn't release the pcbs or anything yet because there's no code to drive them.  I ran out of time to add that stuff before the super hit.  Adding it to the code isn't hard but it takes time and I don't have much of that unfortunately at the moment.  I did make the adapters, though.

For god's sake man, stop posting on internet forums and get back to work!!  Gotham needs you!!

just kidding, love ya man, you're about to get famous next year i feel, hope you're ready  

Nov 07 at 1:22:19 AM
TuSecsy (14)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama

Please go back and read my post, never did I state “people need” to admit they want the shiny new thing-that would be snobby. 

I stated, “ it would be better if” followed by “thats just my opinion”. You are reading into it too much. 

I am entitled to my opinion, and the whole reason I even stated it was because another member came in saying people should get rid of everything they have in favor of the Super NT, which is a ridiculous statement. Thats where all this started. I will defend using original hardware, on PVMs, because it is something that I prefer. Yea there may be something “easier” which is awesome for people that want that route. But easier isn’t always better. Just my opinion. 
Technically original hardware with a PVM will always be superior to everything.  Problem is you have to have a 200 pound tv in your house.  Women aren't too fond of 200 pound tv's in 2017, in my (limited) experience.

Edited: 11/07/2017 at 01:34 PM by TuSecsy

Nov 07 at 2:14:39 AM
gunpei (6)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: TuSecsy

Problem is you have to have a 200 pound tv in your house. Women aren't too fond of 200 pound tv's in 2017, just for starters.
IDK, my girlfriend helped me obtain, move, and set up my 200 pound widescreen CRT TV set.

It's one thing if your partner doesn't share your every interest, quite another to claim interference or blame.

Nov 07 at 8:21:49 AM
MrWunderful (261)
California
Originally posted by: gunpei

Originally posted by: TuSecsy

Problem is you have to have a 200 pound tv in your house. Women aren't too fond of 200 pound tv's in 2017, just for starters.
IDK, my girlfriend helped me obtain, move, and set up my 200 pound widescreen CRT TV set.

It's one thing if your partner doesn't share your every interest, quite another to claim interference or blame.

Yeah mine doesnt care either (but I have a game room)

And you’re exaggerating a bit, my 20 inch PVM only weighs about 75 pounds. Which for a normal able-bodied adult it’s not that difficult to move. 

Nov 07 at 9:22:34 AM
CZroe (26)
Georgia
He's not exaggerating as much as you think. Look at a Sony KV-34XBR910 or 960. Making a CRT widescreen requires significantly more glass. Making the front true-flat requires exponentially more glass. This was common knowledge in the high-end home theater World back when these sets were current (2003-2006).

Nov 07 at 9:32:34 AM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
My 2003 (?) Trinitron weighs more than me. My wife wants it out of the house.

At least a PVM would be lighter.

"When you desire to play video games as much as you desire the air you breathe, then you will have the time to play video games."
- Socrates

Nov 07 at 10:26:42 AM
CZroe (26)
Georgia
Originally posted by: romevi

I just brought in another (my third).   My understanding is that making the true-flat screen required more glass in certain places that made it too delicate without adding even more glass in other places... which kinda snowballed into these heavy monstrosities.

Nov 07 at 10:27:38 AM
Guspaz (0)

< Cherub >
The KV-34XBR910 weighs 197.97 lbs per the specs. IIRC I've seen heavier, but not by much. Don't forget that the entire tube is glass, and you're increasing the surface area by the cube of the linear dimension.

Edited: 11/07/2017 at 10:28 AM by Guspaz

Nov 07 at 10:32:52 AM
CZroe (26)
Georgia
Originally posted by: Guspaz

The KV-34XBR910 weighs 197.97 lbs per the specs. IIRC I've seen heavier, but not by much. Don't forget that the entire tube is glass, and you're increasing the surface area by the cube of the linear dimension.
LOL! I was just coming back with this but you beat me to it.  

Nov 07 at 10:47:45 AM
gunpei (6)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois

And you’re exaggerating a bit, my 20 inch PVM only weighs about 75 pounds. Which for a normal able-bodied adult it’s not that difficult to move. 
TuSecsy probably is but I'm not. I have a 34" widescreen CRT that weighs 197 pounds.

edit: fuck, beaten. Yes, that Sony KV thing

Edited: 11/07/2017 at 10:49 AM by gunpei

Nov 07 at 10:52:07 AM
CZroe (26)
Georgia

TuSecsy probably is but I'm not. I have a 34" widescreen CRT that weighs 197 pounds.

I recall getting my new XBR910 from 2003 on the matching stand with no help (brother was at work). I had the slightly smaller 30XBR910 but it was definitely risky for a $2,500 piece of HEAVY electronics (and $300 stand). Still not sure how I managed it without breaking something (it or me). Almost 15 years later I still have it and it still gets compliments from anyone who watches anything on it. Excellent TV. Shame it doesn't have RGB inputs but it seems like a waste to get a PVM when you already have 4:3 versions of this:
32HS510 (4:3 DVI)
32HS420 (4:3 HDMI)

If these sets weren't so picky about their signals then I'd suggest an OSSC or XRGB Mini to get some semblance of a PVM here but at least the HD RetroVision cables should work great. Same great Trinitron "Super Fine Pitch" / "Hi-Scan" tube technology here.

Edited: 11/07/2017 at 02:47 PM by CZroe

Nov 07 at 11:52:46 AM
MrWunderful (261)
California
if I had to drag around a 34" 200 lb crt I would go with whatever I could get hdmi too.

Thank god PVMs are really easy to find around here. (I also have a 14" that I got for free which is quite easy to move- it even has a handle)

Nov 07 at 1:35:20 PM
TuSecsy (14)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Will trade girlfriend for 20" PVM. (most days anyway) lol.

Nov 07 at 3:04:30 PM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Originally posted by: CZroe

Originally posted by: romevi

I just brought in another (my third).   My understanding is that making the true-flat screen required more glass in certain places that made it too delicate without adding even more glass in other places... which kinda snowballed into these heavy monstrosities.

Aye, caramba. I've decided I'm going to part with mine. I planned to use it mostly with my SNES and PS1, but in the two years I've had the TV I've not touched it once. It's sitting under some tarps in the basement.

I haven't even touched my PS1 during that time.

"When you desire to play video games as much as you desire the air you breathe, then you will have the time to play video games."
- Socrates

Nov 07 at 3:10:06 PM
CZroe (26)
Georgia

if I had to drag around a 34" 200 lb crt I would go with whatever I could get hdmi too.

Thank god PVMs are really easy to find around here. (I also have a 14" that I got for free which is quite easy to move- it even has a handle)
The 40XBR800 weighs in at over 300lbs, and it's a 4:3 set! Crazy. People have probably died moving that. I felt like I could've been crushed multiple times while moving my 32" sets. It's no wonder LCDs, Plasmas, and (eventually) OLEDs took over after that even though Trinitron PQ still put them to shame today.

I can't share my enthusiasm for the hobby with someone on a 14" PVM. That's a big deal for me because I don't consider my collection exclusively "for me." I also do it for friends and family who want to indulge in it with me. Playing by myself with a small screen on consoles sometimes modified to exclude the TVs others want to use... almost feels selfish to me. No doubt, that's partially because my collection is shared to begin with (Ichinisan), but my priorities are to get the best shared experience possible and not just the best for myself.

The Super NT probably won't even work with those TVs... UltraHDMI and Hi-Def NES don't (well Hi-Def NES does work at 480p). Being able to play SNES on the 65" LCD in the living room without emulation or distractingly bad video quality really appeals to me. Maybe then I'll trade a monster Trinitron CRT for the largest PVM I can get and I'll play that when no one is around.  

Edited: 11/07/2017 at 03:15 PM by CZroe

Nov 08 at 12:52:14 AM
bridgemute (109)
(Chris ) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
No matter what, I'm super excited about this one. I'm burnt out on trying to find the perfect CRT...when screen geometry is NEVER perfect. Also with not having the luxury of a separate game room (family is growing)...this fixes both of my issues. I really didn't want to go with a Raspberry PI for retro gaming. SNES is the only retro system i play anymore anyway

Nov 09 at 4:34:30 PM
ziggy (0)

< Little Mac >
I'm thinking order it, why? finding a chip-01 + get a crt + work of mod is hard to me... I don't know anything or soldering or... so that new analogue nt is ready to play.

Nov 09 at 6:06:54 PM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Originally posted by: CZroe

I recall getting my new XBR910 from 2003 on the matching stand with no help (brother was at work). I had the slightly smaller 30XBR910 but it was definitely risky for a $2,500 piece of HEAVY electronics (and $300 stand). Still not sure how I managed it without breaking something (it or me). Almost 15 years later I still have it and it still gets compliments from anyone who watches anything on it. Excellent TV. Shame it doesn't have RGB inputs but it seems like a waste to get a PVM when you already have 4:3 versions of this:
32HS510 (4:3 DVI)
32HS420 (4:3 HDMI)

If these sets weren't so picky about their signals then I'd suggest an OSSC or XRGB Mini to get some semblance of a PVM here but at least the HD RetroVision cables should work great. Same great Trinitron "Super Fine Pitch" / "Hi-Scan" tube technology here.

I am very happy with my Sony Wega 27" CRT + HD Retrovision cables. 
I enjoy gaming on modern displays too, but just adding emulated scanlines does not totally do the games justice.I

Component YPbPr looks very good to me on a CRT. I believe the difference between YPbPr and RGsB is minimal. The main concerning factor, as with most analogue signals, would be the quality and integrity of the cable itself. I originally only bought 1 HD Retrovision component cable (The Genesis Model 2 cable) to start. They are sold out more often than not, and $53 each, but if you can catch them while they are in stock, is say to for it. 

These were taken with an iPod Touch from the CRT, but even still you can see they are a nice upgrade from composite or Svideo.

I am still on the fence with the Super Nt. If I knew for sure that Kevin will be releasing the 20 or so 8-bit system cores. Or even new 16-bit cores, along with the ability to load SNES/SFC roms (including enhanced chip games, which can't be played from the SD2SNES) for the Super I'd order one. 

Edited: 11/09/2017 at 06:08 PM by spoonman

Nov 10 at 12:18:08 PM
Diamante Loco (142)
(gblock mountaineer) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: spoonman
I am still on the fence with the Super Nt. If I knew for sure that Kevin will be releasing the 20 or so 8-bit system cores. Or even new 16-bit cores, along with the ability to load SNES/SFC roms (including enhanced chip games, which can't be played from the SD2SNES) for the Super I'd order one. 

I'm jumping on board blind because of how I loved the Hi Def NES kit (and if I had the money to spare, I would have gotten the NT mini and sold my HDMI Top Loader and Everdrive)

If he does eventually do what he did for the NT Mini, motha f'n sweet tittycacka double bonus.

If he doesn't, cool. I still get to play all my favorite SNES games in lagless hi-def on (basically) real hardware (only missing a couple games I actually want, and if he doesn't, I'll just buy a Super Everdrive or SD2SNES next summer/fall)

The User formally known as g_block. Same nice guy, different name :-)

Nov 10 at 12:20:10 PM
Bert (53)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Diamante Loco

Originally posted by: spoonman

I'm jumping on board blind because of how I loved the Hi Def NES kit (and if I had the money to spare, I would have gotten the NT mini and sold my HDMI Top Loader and Everdrive)

If he does eventually do what he did for the NT Mini, motha f'n sweet tittycacka double bonus.

If he doesn't, cool. I still get to play all my favorite SNES games in lagless hi-def on (basically) real hardware (only missing a couple games I actually want, and if he doesn't, I'll just buy a Super Everdrive or SD2SNES next summer/fall)

agreed with spoonman. Insta buy if that is the case. Otherwise I'm a bit more hesitant

Edited: 11/10/2017 at 12:20 PM by Bert