Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

People who play games from all generations, how do you divide your gaming time?

Oct 05 at 1:39:14 PM
Nightowljrm (40)
(Joseph, not Joe!) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Retro took a back seat and I played exclusively PS4 games for a few months. Towards the end of that time, I realized that my gaming time didn't feel as rewarding if I didn't at least play a little of my NES and/or SMS.

For whatever reason, I'm assuming it's that void that only retro games can fill, I'm only fully satisfied with my gaming when I make time for both. My time is typically divided between roughly 66.6% one and 33.3% the other, alternating which gets the bigger slice each week. It wasn't that intentional, but that's how it began to fall.

So for those of you who are actively play modern and retro games, how is your time divided? Is it intentional or unintentional? Do you feel a similar void without at least some classic gaming in your life?

Oct 05 at 1:42:07 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (62)
(Douglas Glover) < King Solomon >
Ontario
I play what I feel like in the moment. As for a void, yeah for sure when I play modern games it feels much more like a chore and less challenging overall. Sometimes also I really just wanna sit and play a game for like 5-10 minutes, and retro games work great for that quick pickup fun.

-------------------------

NEW! Share your collection! Check out mine here!
Developer

Oct 05 at 1:47:22 PM
Bert (53)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Agreed with Gloves.

Though, when it comes to modern games I am very picky about what I bother to play. I've got Dark Souls 3, Zelda BOTW and a few others in the backlog, but generally I'd rather play something like Smash Bros or Mario Maker, where I can play a couple rounds and then call it quits if I like, or keep going

Oct 05 at 1:53:38 PM
SUBSCRIBER
SwiftFrost (197)
< King Solomon >
United States
I would say 95% of my gaming these days is modern gaming. I still play my older systems when the mood strikes, but it is not all that often currently. A large part of this has to do with modern games being a significant part of my social hub. Should I play Destiny 2 and socialize with my friends, or should I sit by myself and play a game I've likely played 78 times before?

Oct 05 at 2:04:37 PM
TDIRunner (12)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Basically, whatever strikes my mood, but it seems to happen in waves. I tend to play either a lot of retro stuff and little to no modern stuff, or it will switch around and I won't tough my retro stuff for a while.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Oct 05 at 2:20:40 PM
DefaultGen (21)
(Tyler Wilkin) < El Ripper >
United States
I'm usually looking to get in, immediately start gameplay, and get a full experience within an hour. I spend maybe a quarter of my time on modern stuff, mostly newer Nintendo games or when something actually new and interesting comes out. Lots of modern games can be too long, repetitive, narrative driven, and impossible to lose for me (modern gaming is garbage!).

When games take the training wheels off (BotW, The Witness) or offer something never seen before (Her Story, Papers Please) I still want to play them though, so I'm not just going to ignore every new game on principle.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #79:
Christmas Pricing Trends and Jesus' Real Birthday

Edited: 10/05/2017 at 02:20 PM by DefaultGen

Oct 05 at 2:41:20 PM
LostLevel83 (138)
< Meka Chicken >
Oklahoma
Classic games are often played on Saturday mornings in the study on a PVM (while the wife sleeps). Most other days, I play whatever piques my interest while hanging out in the living room. GameCube/PS2 through current gen are all hooked up to the main TV. Been playing a lot of PS4 lately.

I like pizza.

Oct 05 at 2:53:01 PM
Meteor_of_War (16)
< Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
I have seriously neglected modern gaming in recent years, aside from a few exceptions.  As a 40 year old with a busy job and family with two kids there just isn't much time to sit around and wait on constant patch update downloads, long intros, slow narratives, etc.  Some new games take close to an hour just to get settled into a play session.  Compared to retro games I am blasted into the action within seconds of hitting the power button and I can run through and actually complete most games in less than an hour.  This sort of gaming fits my life much better.

Of course when a really special modern game is released I make time for it.  Some examples being Zelda: BotW, The Witcher games, or any Dark Souls games.  But most of the time, if a modern game peaks my interest its most likely a retro style indie game like Super Meat Boy, Braid, Shovel Knight, etc.  Modern gaming is trying too hard to be like big blockbuster movies and they need to cool it a bit.

*My NA Seller thread*
*My Local Find's Thread*

Edited: 10/05/2017 at 02:54 PM by Meteor_of_War

Oct 05 at 3:14:58 PM
Yelir (27)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
If I game on our main TV, it's usually a modern system. If I'm alone or the other set is in use, I will game on the retro systems on a CRT. I try to game more on a modern system if my favorite game is in peak online periods.

Oct 05 at 4:16:21 PM
BouncekDeLemos (79)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Master Higgins >
Florida
What I play depends on how I feel at the moment, but my time to do that isn't the best.

I work during the days, come home, shower, eat and sleep, wake up the next morning, work, repeat... no time for gaming. Because of this, I try to do what I can on the weekends. However, weekends are when I can get house-related things done, so no time for play.

I WORK AT A GAMESTORE. > 

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Oct 05 at 5:38:02 PM
buttheadrulesagain (19)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
Sometimes I simply say "ok, I am going to play something from this console now", just to rotate things.

Oct 05 at 6:13:15 PM
dragonwarrior83 (12)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
I have a family and a career so my time is often limited. I play whatever strikes my fancy but it really pissed me off when I'm short on time and the Xbox One S controller needs to update. I'll switch over to the nes and play a few games of 8 bit xmas pinball while I wait.

Oct 05 at 6:31:22 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
My backlog is big so it's almost exclusively retro, unless there's a game I really want to play (most first party nintendo stuff)

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Oct 05 at 6:35:46 PM
Bert (53)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: dragonwarrior83

I have a family and a career so my time is often limited. I play whatever strikes my fancy but it really pissed me off when I'm short on time and the Xbox One S controller needs to update. I'll switch over to the nes and play a few games of 8 bit xmas pinball while I wait.

oh yeah that's another thing. My NES and tube tv are beside my HDTV so I play Tetris while I wait for updates

Oct 05 at 6:43:03 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
I play retro stuff in one room and more modern stuff on my PC in another room. THEY SHALL NOT MIX!

Oct 05 at 6:52:32 PM
SUBSCRIBER
MuNKeY (116)
(Keeper of the Cheese ) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Pretty much just play whatever strikes me and how much time I have to devote. I've pretty much strayed away from games that take several hours to complete like rpgs and srpgs but ill spend a few days running though some action games like uncharted or titanfall 2 etc. My retro gaming especially with famicom I'll play till i either beat it or play till a game over then pop in something else at times i just play something quickly beat and follow up with a couple of of others or sit down with one I've not beat and keep at it till i totally give up or beat it. This theory plays in why i love indie titles over be AAA titles as well.

And yet I still keep buying and adding games i might not even touch till a year later esp on ps4 and Switch it's really wierd...

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

#releasethejerbilly

Oct 05 at 7:57:43 PM
Gex (32)
< Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Personally I feel guilty playing new gen stuff. There's so many amazeball games I have yet to experience, stuff like Phantasy Star, FF7, BOF ect.. I've never even played before. So for me when I set time aside for gaming, I don't even consider newer gen stuff. Knowing that I could instead be playing something I might appreciate more. If that makes sense? haha

<<< My TurboGrafx 16 ISO

Oct 05 at 8:25:15 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I dig into whatever the mood fits just as much as there could be days or a week I don't touch basically anything.

I feel I have too much but many here would definitely say I don't have enough. I'm lost on it so it's hard to decide. Sometimes I think selling more and more off until my choices are limited to where the indecision stops would be a good idea too.

Oct 05 at 8:26:07 PM
SoleGooseProductions (120)
(Beau ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana
Research! I play what's relevant.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 05 at 9:31:35 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida
I play a little of this and that, if I enjoy it. Not chained to only one console/handheld. If your game interest me, I may try it out soon. Simple as that.

***Now offering modding services for the SEGA NOMAD  & Model 1 Sega Genesis***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Learn how to mod your Sega Genesis model - 1 with easy to follow tutorials in the link below.
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/show...

Edited: 10/05/2017 at 09:32 PM by Thunderblaze16

Oct 05 at 9:39:42 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopa Troopa) < Meka Chicken >
Canada
my solution is no modern consoles. stunning, i know

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Oct 05 at 9:51:00 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Play what ever you want when ever. Why create restrictions.

Oct 05 at 10:17:53 PM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
Modern when I'm at home. Retro when I'm in camp at work. Handheld when I'm on the road.

Oct 06 at 12:10:14 AM
Webhead123 (30)
(Jordan S.) < El Ripper >
Texas
I mostly just play whatever I feel in the mood for at a given moment but I notice that there are some patterns to my play.

​During weekdays, when my free time tends to come in shorter blocks, I tend to play a lot of earlier-generation games. This is because they tend to be easier to pick up and play in short bursts while still being satisfying.

​During weeknights, after most of the house is asleep and quiet, I'll tend to put time into those more "involved" games or those that require more focus. This tends to be when more of the modern games come out. Campaign-based games, RPGs, deep strategy titles, story-driven games, etc. These are the kinds of games that benefit from an hour or two of uniterrupted play.

​Weekends are up in the air. If the house is busy, more casual, "retro" style games get played for much the same reasons as above. If I have an afternoon to myself, the heavier stuff comes out.

​I don't travel much so I don't play many games on-the-go these days but I do still play some portable gaming at home, lounging on the couch or in the game room.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Now Playing: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U), Friday the 13th (PC)
Last Beaten: Super Mario Land 2 (GB)

Edited: 10/06/2017 at 12:10 AM by Webhead123

Oct 06 at 10:11:50 AM
KrakenSoup (42)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
I tend to focus on new games first. Sometimes I feel like playing something but not whatever new game came out. In that case I just play whatever old game I feel in the mood for. This year my focus has been basically 90% Switch-based, 5% 3DS and PS4 and 5% everything else.